What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

October 12th; what's new?

Undone

Codemaster
Stormhaven Studios
What's new?
This weekend, for those of you not paying attention, is launch! The game is going live for the masses come Saturday which means no more character wipes. However, this does NOT mean that development will slow. On the contrary, we plan on continuing our rapid development pace that we have demonstrated for the past few years. Regarding our schedule going forward we will likely do weekly hot fixes and monthly content patches - but none of this is set in stone. It will likely take us a few weeks to settle in but we will do our best to keep you well informed as we go :)

We will also continue relying on the community for your invaluable feedback and suggestions which will continue to influence things moving forward. Thank you all again for spending the last few years helping us make Embers Adrift! Your support really means the world to us.

Bug fixes / improvements:
  • Tech
    • Fixed nav mesh issues preventing some NPCs from spawning in Newhaven City.
    • Cleaned up a ton of obsolete database code.
    • When you encounter an Invalid Session command the client will now throw you back to the login scene. This typically indicates a connection interruption or timeout.
    • On changing chat tabs we will attempt to scroll to the bottom. There are still some lingering issues with this we are working on.
    • Rebaked all nav meshes.
    • Adjusted how the "NoBank" flag operates. Previously this prevented you from putting the item in any bank - this now only prevents you from putting the item in your shared bank. Hence this flag has been renamed to "NoSharedBank".
    • Adjusted the backend tech of how "Soulbound" items work. When an item is Soulbound this is basically a combination of the NoTrade and NoBank flags.
    • Idle ticks are disabled for characters on the creation screen. There's still a bit of head movement baked in that we will get rid of in due time.
  • Environment / Art
    • Misc. prop and terrain fixes.
  • UI:
    • Map discoveries have been revamped. Areas should now be more easily uncovered, while individual POIs will show on the map after visiting them.
    • Adjusted how areas and points of interest notify the player.
    • Added a map for Newhaven City
    • Name input field on character creation now properly validates your name (first letter upper case, all the rest lower case).
    • Fixed an issue on reagent abilities that was causing it to display "WEAPON DICE" instead of the actual weapon dice.
    • Moved the version label to the menu.
  • Quests:
    • Misc. grammar and text updates.
    • Fixed a currency bug with certain quests.
    • Fixed issues with Cleaning House quest.
    • Added Taming the Meadowlands quest.
    • Added a number of new NPCs to Newhaven City & Dryfoot.
    • Gilden has moved to a higher vantage point.
    • Updated tutorial popups.
  • Design:
    • Deco anvils in Newhaven City replaced with functional anvils.
    • Added more refinement stations to Newhaven City.
    • Increased reagent drops and mob spawns for Specialization quests.
    • Purchased crafting materials no longer go in your gathering bag.
    • Purchased crafting material "Worn Strapping" can now be used for Sword recipes.
    • Updated delay on Smith Hammers to match new values.
    • Berserker ability Follow Through damage reduced.
    • Spawn rate of resources in Newhaven Valley increased.
    • Guards have been recalled from various outposts in Dryfoot & Meadowlands to aid Newhaven.
    • Special quest items are now marked as "Quest, Soulbound" and are unable to be traded to other players.
    • Fixed an issue with Stags causing them to deal too little damage.
  • Hot fixes from last weekend:
    • Fixed: patched up some cosmetic holes in dungeon walls
    • Reducing overall tree density in Newhaven Valley and Northreach for performance. Rebaking nav mesh to account for this.
    • Fixed: some rendering issues causing things to follow your camera (happened mostly in Dryfoot)
    • Reduced the cost of basic recipes
    • Added suffix to cooked meats to help differentiate them.
    • Fixed an issue where some abilities that should disable auto attack were not doing it quickly enough.
    • Minor performance fix with the skybox that was causing some per-frame allocations.
    • Polearm flanking bonus removed and replaced with parry/riposte bonus.
    • Maul flanking bonus adjusted. Added front +DMG bonus.
    • Two handed weapons have had their delays reduced.
New stuff:
Nothing "new" to speak of - our team was wholly focused on bug fixes and polish the past week.

Works in progress:
To see a full list of what is currently in progress head on over to this thread. I will do my best to update this list on a weekly basis and highlight the differences from the previous week with bold font. Below I will highlight some of the upcoming changes in more detail.

Repair Cost (timeline: 1-2 weeks)
We are looking into improving how repair costs are calculated to mitigate repair costs at higher levels. Still some work left to do but just wanted you to know we are working on it! We should have this updated by the time players get to high enough levels where this starts to become a pain point.

Leather Visuals (timeline: 1-2 weeks)
Leather leg armor pieces are in the works!

New Zones?! (timeline 1-3 weeks)
We have a handful of new zones nearing completion including the Dryfoot Fortress and Redshore Outskirts (names pending). But we will likely first focus on fixing up and delivering new dungeons (both regular and Ember Drift) for Meadowlands & Dryfoot.

Known Issues:
  • Loot roll occasionally does not trigger leaving the loot open to anyone. We are currently investigating.
  • Characters can get stuck in any looping animation if they do not properly complete. This is most noticeable for strikers using a bow. We have some tooling to fix this, just need to get back around to it.
  • Not all ember rings and/or POIs are proper map discoveries.
  • Deconstructing crafted items returns junk 100% of the time.
  • Cannot roll on loot while unconscious
  • Not all clothing/armor has visuals
  • Dragging a group-nameplate in the group window will set the wrong pivot point for the group window and the whole thing will drag a bit weird.
  • Typing chat text may occasionally become invisible. Unfocus your chat window and trying again a few times typically resolves this.
  • Sometimes when you respawn you don't end up at the proper Ember Ring --> if this happens please report the position where you died via the "/report" command or "/debugposition" (if using debugposition you'll need to paste the value here)
  • MacOS:
    • Zooming the camera while holding the right mouse button can cause your chat window to scroll. This is not intended behavior.
    • At some camera angles the sun may go dark. This should not happen frequently but is readily reproducible at some locations. Investigating a fix.

Last edited:
"Polearm flanking bonus adjusted. Now gives parry/riposte"

This seems strange, attacking from the side will give a defensive bonus? When you're attacking from the side you're not tanking, so you wouldn't benefit from this bonus. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Reactions: CWB

This seems strange, attacking from the side will give a defensive bonus? When you're attacking from the side you're not tanking, so you wouldn't benefit from this bonus. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.
It's not a FLANKING bonus per-say. It's just a bonus on the weapon and flanking has been removed. I guess we should have said that parry/riposte bonus has replaced the flanking bonus.

flanking is a stat that enhance you position values and does not only trigger from the side. Maybe the naming should be change??

Hot fixes coming around 10am US Central time!
  • Fixed some client exceptions
  • Fixed some bad discoveries in Northreach
  • Adjusted spawn rates for specialization quest mobs
  • Farmer Brandle has moved into his house.
  • Updated visuals for Zachi and Eliza npcs
  • Fixed strength progression of level 1 and 5 ember swords
  • Fixed issues with map tooltips not showing for some POIs
  • Reduced the number of shadow casting lights in Newhaven City
  • Fixed issues with Therrin's camp.
  • Fixed an issue causing some overhead nameplates to be off center
  • Fixed a fence material that should have been see through but was not.
  • Adjusted fence LODs.
  • Added a confirmation dialog to egress points
  • Adjusted how +HEAL was factored into HOTs. This was currently rounding UP in cases that made any +HEAL stat a bit OP. We will likely refine this calculation in the coming weeks.
  • The server now validates a player's full inventory on initialization to ensure that no non-items are present. If you ever get into a situation where you think this may have happened relog.
  • Added more logging and checks server side to prevent non-items from making their way into a player's inventory.
  • Movement speed boots have now become movement status resist boots. This adjustment has been made for a number of reasons - but mainly because we feel that this can actually lead to some negative group experiences. For example: if one person has a higher innate run speed they always have to slow down and wait for their group to catch up. Or if one person has a lower innate run speed than the rest of their group they become a burden and the entire group has to wait for them. For a game that promotes traveling around in groups we prefer to offer speed boosts in more sharable forms such as the Warden's lay of the land. In other words: if everyone is moving at different rates it becomes a pain in the neck to travel together. We are brainstorming alternative ways to give speed boosts outside of LotL and temporary worm buffs.

Last edited:
Bears still don't close melee distance properly and animation for 2h Maul is off. At one point the arm moved to in front of the chest lol.

Bears still don't close melee distance properly and animation for 2h Maul is off. At one point the arm moved to in front of the chest lol.
I have this happen with the 2H axe. If I am attacking with my bow and then mid attack I change to my Axe it will be in a weight position and be that way until out of combat.

I was reading the above notes for the speed buff. maybe a wandering coffee merchant =P? an NPC that appears at different locations depending on time of day, or he has a set movement? this way the buff could be purchased, or add coffee to food creation? i do like coffee =]

I was reading the above notes for the speed buff. maybe a wandering coffee merchant =P? an NPC that appears at different locations depending on time of day, or he has a set movement? this way the buff could be purchased, or add coffee to food creation? i do like coffee =]
Will he have an attitude like he's better than me and give me a disgusted look when I inconvenience him by ordering a coffee? Will he offer music from one or more local artists and tiny, over priced, still partially frozen baked goods?

Will he have an attitude like he's better than me and give me a disgusted look when I inconvenience him by ordering a coffee? Will he offer music from one or more local artists and tiny, over priced, still partially frozen baked goods?
you know what, no, he wont, because he doesnt want to be eaten by a grue... he may however magic missile the darkness?

More hot fixes incoming! These are client side only fixes that you do not have to download, but are recommended when you get the chance.
  • Fixed issue with friends window not saving which tab you had selected
  • Fixed a rare issue with some UI elements that were not initializing properly. This led to some players not getting quest dialog.
  • Some misc. prop fixes in Newhaven City
  • /who results now say "player" instead of "players" if there is only one result.
  • Fixed some tree floating issues in Newhaven Valley & Northreach
  • Adding "East" and "West" to the central veins discoveries in Newhaven Valley
Patches are still cooking and will be out later today.

Back