What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

October 20th; what's new?

Undone

Codemaster
Stormhaven Studios
What's new?
Our first patch for live brings a ton of fixes and improvements! I wanted to share a ton of user stats regarding which roles were most popular etc - but I ran out of time so those will have to wait until future patch notes. Launch was very smooth for the most part but the team is still trying to catch up with all of the feedback, bugs, and suggestions. Keep em coming!

Bug fixes / improvements:
  • Tech
    • Instance swapping must now be performed at an Ember Ring and out of combat.
    • Instances can now be "closed" to prevent further switching into them. If your switchinstance command fails keep an eye on the chat as it should tell you if the instance is either unavailable, or closed.
    • Switched to a different spatial query method to determine nearby players. This impacts a number of systems including loot rolls, group bonuses, group xp/coin distribution, and combat messages. This alternate method should (in theory) result in more reliable behavior for anything requiring a nearby query (loot rolls, etc). However, this also comes with an additional performance cost so I will be keeping a close eye on this.
    • Added new keybind options for Zoom In and Zoom Out to control camera zoom via keyboard. These are unbound by default.
    • Added new tech that allows us to force a character rename. When a character is flagged you will be required to rename them before you can enter the game world. Characters in this state will have a "RENAME" button below their character on selection.
    • Guilds with offensive names will soon be disbanded. We have zero tolerance for these sort of shenanigans. Consider this your first warning.
    • Fixed some client side exceptions.
    • Fixed: Egress points can no longer be used when in combat. Egress points are the one way exits found in the middle of the dungeon.
    • Fixed: -100% movement effects that was not actually rooting players with +Movement effects. i.e. halt, webbing, etc.
  • Environment / Art
    • Fixed props in Newhaven City.
    • Fixed a number of stuck spots.
    • Fixed animation issue when using Strike or Assault with a bow
    • Doubling fallen log size for forestry.
    • Adding stump near stump man
    • Adjusting the post processing effects of hallows and ember rings.
    • Reduced max brightness in the daytime.
  • UI:
    • Added a tooltip to the accept button in trade if your inventory is full
    • Added: tooltip to crafting stations when you are missing your belongings telling you why you cannot interact with it.
    • Added: zone name and instance number to the server status tooltip (globe on your chat windows)
    • Added: close button to the group window for leaving the group
    • Fixed an issue with draggable UI windows that would freak out when the UI scale was above 100%.
    • Fixed: Emotes from blocked players should no longer show in your chat
    • Fixed: quest log UI should now remember its location
    • Fixed: social UI should now remember its location
    • Fixed: friends not showing as offline if they last set their presence to anonymous
    • Fixed: login message will no longer show unless there is something important to tell you
    • Fixed: zone names correct in social window
  • Quests:
    • Misc. grammatical and typo fixes to quest dialogue.
    • Fixed: various typos in NPC dialogue
    • Fixed: quest list not updating in certain cases
    • Fixed: dialogue choices not hiding in certain cases
    • Updated: "The Hunters of Northreach" now simply requires you to kill Nighthunter as opposed to looting her pelt.
    • Updated: "Turning Over a New Leaf... or Stone... or Pelt" now allows you to perform any refinement, though Darrimar will express his disappointment
    • Updated: "The Missing Apprentice" to better describe where to find Lt. Krenner & to require fewer returns to Balgar.
    • Updated: "Acolyte's Ambition" should now be more clear about one of its objectives.
  • Design:
    • Named mobs will be slightly stronger than other 3-chevron mobs
    • Removed some specialization reagents from the Newhaven Valley dungeon (Spec reagents are only obtainable in Northreach and beyond)
    • Removed some recipes from merchants who should not have had them (Belts on outfitter)
    • Reduced delay on Longbows and Heavy Crossbows
    • Fixed: issue with incorrect NPC weapon delays. Most notably ants attack faster than they did previously.
    • Fixed issue preventing health regen potions and food buffs from stacking
    • Fixed stats on Ruffian Dagger
    • Fixed balance on a few of the Ravenrock Weapon rewards
    • Added additional group content mobs around Ancient Bear spawn. Made ancient bear spawn a bit more consistent.
    • Added two new Ember Drifts. One in Meadowlands and one in Dryfoot.
    • Added profession trainer Mordina to Newhaven City
    • 4-chevron mobs have had their respawn timers adjusted.
    • Bumped loot roll timer from 30s to 45s.
New stuff:
Emberdrift Updates
Emberdrift dungeons have been moved to their own scene called the "Ember Veins". For the 9 characters that were either camped out in a current drift and/or were missing their bag in one your character has been placed in Northreach and your bag returned to you. Please let us know if there are any issues.

Two new Emberdrift dungeons have been added! One can be found in Meadowlands and the other in Dryfoot. These include new itemizations, rares, etc. Oh, and frogs & toads can now turn ashen.

Works in progress:
To see a full list of what is currently in progress head on over to this thread. I will do my best to update this list on a weekly basis and highlight the differences from the previous week with bold font. Below I will highlight some of the upcoming changes in more detail.

More Ashen! (timeline 1 week)
More ashen creatures are on the way. This includes raccoons, basilisks, doe/stags, and others.

Repair Cost (timeline: 2-3 weeks)
We are looking into improving how repair costs are calculated to mitigate repair costs at higher levels. Still some work left to do but just wanted you to know we are working on it! We should have this updated by the time players get to high enough levels where this starts to become a pain point.

New Zones?! (timeline 2-3 weeks)
We have a handful of new zones nearing completion including the Dryfoot Fortress and Redshore Outskirts (names pending). More Emberdrift dungeons are also coming for Meadowlands & Dryfoot.

Known Issues:
  • Loot roll occasionally does not trigger leaving the loot open to anyone. We are currently investigating.
  • Characters can get stuck in any looping animation if they do not properly complete. This is most noticeable for strikers using a bow. We have some tooling to fix this, just need to get back around to it.
  • Not all ember rings and/or POIs are proper map discoveries.
  • Deconstructing crafted items returns junk 100% of the time.
  • Cannot roll on loot while unconscious
  • Not all clothing/armor has visuals
  • Dragging a group-nameplate in the group window will set the wrong pivot point for the group window and the whole thing will drag a bit weird.
  • Typing chat text may occasionally become invisible. Unfocus your chat window and trying again a few times typically resolves this.
  • Sometimes when you respawn you don't end up at the proper Ember Ring --> if this happens please report the position where you died via the "/report" command or "/debugposition" (if using debugposition you'll need to paste the value here)
  • MacOS:
    • Zooming the camera while holding the right mouse button can cause your chat window to scroll. This is not intended behavior.
    • At some camera angles the sun may go dark. This should not happen frequently but is readily reproducible at some locations. Investigating a fix.

Last edited:
Good fix for instance swapping! It'll have some issues but I think it'll be more good than bad.

one of the issues groups will have is exiting town has almost always put some folks in another instance
I'm sure Undone will implement a solution for making sure to instance a group together when leaving the city, but there's also ember rings to the north and south a stone's throw away so it's an easy fix for the players.

I'm sure Undone will implement a solution for making sure to instance a group together when leaving the city, but there's also ember rings to the north and south a stone's throw away so it's an easy fix for the players.
yes and the good part about the globe icon it now shows the instance you are in. The game should tell you this as a tip though at least the first time you enter an instance.

GUILD UI - We need the ability to toggle offline people so we can see who is on. We need a "Last Played" feature so we can see who's playing and trim rosters down the road.

ITEM LINKS - We NEED the ability to link item descriptions to CHAT...this is part of EVERY MMO and as a crafter having to type out weapon descriptions to everyone I am trying to interact with is ridiculous!

CRAFTING UI - We need to ability to see what we can make without having the items on us. People routinely ask me about weapons I can make and not only can't I LINK them the items but I can't even see them unless I equip all the materials.

These are crucial guys.

Wow, that's a lot. One comment. If we have to go to an ember ring to switch instance, can you please add some code to let us stay in the same instance as our group members when we zone? Every time I pass through the city, I have to switch instance. Thanks.

Wow, that's a lot. One comment. If we have to go to an ember ring to switch instance, can you please add some code to let us stay in the same instance as our group members when we zone? Every time I pass through the city, I have to switch instance. Thanks.
I agree there has to be a better way to keep a group together that travels through a city, or if you join a group it tells you the group is in this instance and then it tells you that you will be moved to that instance automatically.

Instancing was a last minute addition to ensure a smoother launch. Currently your client has no knowledge of what instance your fellow group mates are in. In other words - there is no matchmaking features etc checking that information. We are using a very simple load balancer that looks at the population of a current zone compared to a threshold. That's not to say we can't make improvements in the future but it requires a bit more engineering time than one might think at first glance. Right now our priority is delivering content, fixing bugs, and other more easily obtainable QoL features.

Instancing was a last minute addition to ensure a smoother launch. Currently your client has no knowledge of what instance your fellow group mates are in. In other words - there is no matchmaking features etc checking that information. We are using a very simple load balancer that looks at the population of a current zone compared to a threshold. That's not to say we can't make improvements in the future but it requires a bit more engineering time than one might think at first glance. Right now our priority is delivering content, fixing bugs, and other more easily obtainable QoL features.
I understand, but this becomes a problem when the new rule about having to go to an ember ring is applied. Group members get split off every time we zone, whether into a city or dungeon, and there's not always an ember ring handy. I'm not sure what big issue this new rule was supposed to address, but perhaps hold off on this new rule until doing something about not breaking apart groups becomes a priority? Either that or stick ember rings wherever there's a zone change?

Very nice! That change in log is going to be very helpful for harvesting, especially in darker hours. Much appreciated.

I understand, but this becomes a problem when the new rule about having to go to an ember ring is applied. Group members get split off every time we zone, whether into a city or dungeon, and there's not always an ember ring handy. I'm not sure what big issue this new rule was supposed to address, but perhaps hold off on this new rule until doing something about not breaking apart groups becomes a priority? Either that or stick ember rings wherever there's a zone change?
Which zones is this becoming a problem in? All dungeons have an ember ring right at the entrance. Most zones have an ember ring close by after entering. This new rule does not "solve" any problems it just makes them much less likely to occur. People were instance hopping to farm rares, to train others, and even to escape death. Those are things that we simply cannot have; I view them as being far worse for the game than the relatively minor inconvenience of having to find an ember ring to regroup after zoning. I totally recognize that it's not ideal, but these are examples of why we cannot have nice things - people take advantage of them and ruin it for everyone else. We will make improvements where we can as things move along, but right now there's a lot of other things we need to get to first.

Which zones is this becoming a problem in? All dungeons have an ember ring right at the entrance. Most zones have an ember ring close by after entering. This new rule does not "solve" any problems it just makes them much less likely to occur. People were instance hopping to farm rares, to train others, and even to escape death. Those are things that we simply cannot have; I view them as being far worse for the game than the relatively minor inconvenience of having to find an ember ring to regroup after zoning. I totally recognize that it's not ideal, but these are examples of why we cannot have nice things - people take advantage of them and ruin it for everyone else. We will make improvements where we can as things move along, but right now there's a lot of other things we need to get to first.
Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea these things were happening. I guess I lead a sheltered life!

I most often have to switch instances after going out of Newhaven City. The ember rings aren't terribly far, but inconvenient if I want to run directly right or left instead of to a settlement. Maybe give the poor, cold guards an ember ring to warm their watch? If not, I guess I'll just get used to taking a detour.

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea these things were happening. I guess I lead a sheltered life!

I most often have to switch instances after going out of Newhaven City. The ember rings aren't terribly far, but inconvenient if I want to run directly right or left instead of to a settlement. Maybe give the poor, cold guards an ember ring to warm their watch? If not, I guess I'll just get used to taking a detour.
Typically I am always going to lean towards whatever makes getting groups together easier - but in this particular case there's just too much room for bad behavior unfortunately. :(

Back