What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Night needs to be adjusted

Night time is way too long and totally ruins the game. Currently I think it is the biggest problem and the easiest fix. Reduce night by 50%.
I started playing today and it was night. Then day arrived and felt like half the time that I played at night. Then night arrived again.
It was so annoying I just logged off. Being in a dungeon is one thing, but above ground the length of time for night just destroy all the fun.
Sadly this will be the deal breaker for me if it doesn't change.

Night time is way too long and totally ruins the game. Currently I think it is the biggest problem and the easiest fix. Reduce night by 50%.
I started playing today and it was night. Then day arrived and felt like half the time that I played at night. Then night arrived again.
It was so annoying I just logged off. Being in a dungeon is one thing, but above ground the length of time for night just destroy all the fun.
Sadly this will be the deal breaker for me if it doesn't change.
The length of night will vary throughout the in-game year (which is roughly 1 month). Currently, it is winter in game which results in the longest nights and shortest days due to our landmass being in the northern hemisphere of the world. Once summer swings around this will shift and the days will be longer than the nights. Spawns can also differ drastically depending on if it is day or night in game.

What part of the night is ruining the game for you? Have you tinkered with the "Exposure Adjustment" slider? Moving it to the left (to a -1 value) will adjust the camera exposure at night making things brighter.

Hello everyone,

just want to point out that shortening night duration is not that obvious for me. I'm new to the game (lvl 10) but the night moments were the most appealing for me so far. It creates an atmosphere of mysteries and danger (going to mistcrawlers zone at night was very scary, seing a strange veiled shape poping in the horizon was disturbing), it suggests that surnatural paralel world has more gates/access to our world when the sun is down. I really like this feeling. Also, the fact the some quests are night-related is very nice.

Also, night time combines well with the 'light and shadow' concept of the game. I wonder if pulling out a torch at night could be more than just cosmetic/quality of life feature : bringing light into darkness could create an interaction/response from surrounding environement like for e.g drive away creatures that were born and breed in darkness, trigger an event because you brought light in the shadow at a specific location, perk abilities against shadow creatures if there is like a ground torch in the range (like 'pls smile, i'm using my Flashing Blow and you're shadow armor is being dislocated)... . I don't have much imagination but there is a lot of cool ideas with the interaction light/shadow.

Personal opinion is that zones have less flavor during daylight because the colour palette is quite flat and environnements are very 'forest-ish'. Forest is amazing at nightime (gives scary primal feeling) but during daylight its more motoneous, and when you have seen a forest you have seen them all.
Last thing is about performance issue, i have an average-good setup and struggled to find the settings that gives me smooth feeling (=> all volumetrics, vegetation.. on low, overrall quality on balanced, and distance view set to 60%, shadow 40%). Anyway, at night-time I have the feeling that the game runs smoother, its a more pleasant experience with less stutterings.

Quote from @Balme

I'm sharing this comment from Balme, to illustrate, that not everyone share the same opinion on things. Very often someone that does have an opinion, may have the sentiment that this opinion is shared by the majority ( especially if a few other players agree). But it is not as simple. And not as obvious.
Most of our "controversial features" are disliked by some players and loved by other players.

The night is an important feature in Embers Adrift. The population of creatures change during the night, certain quests can only be completed during the night and/or day, etc... this is a much more complex system than you may think.

Even with max exposure it is dark. And as I said the constant darkness ruins the fun of actually playing the game.
The exposure setting should be set to the minimum value of -1 which is the slider all the way to the LEFT for the brightest value. Could you share some screenshots of an example location in the overworld of where things are too dark?

The exposure setting should be set to the minimum value of -1 which is the slider all the way to the LEFT for the brightest value. Could you share some screenshots of an example location in the overworld of where things are too dark?

Can you add more minimum value past -1, like -2? so people who dislike the night can see and play like it was close to dim daylight?

Can you add more minimum value past -1, like -2? so people who dislike the night can see and play like it was close to dim daylight?
We can yes. But before making any changes I would like to get a better understanding of what exactly about the night is so disliked when compared with the day. The original poster mentioned the length of the night, which indicates to me it's not necessarily the exposure of the scene which is causing problems and possibly something else.

We can yes. But before making any changes I would like to get a better understanding of what exactly about the night is so disliked when compared with the day. The original poster mentioned the length of the night, which indicates to me it's not necessarily the exposure of the scene which is causing problems and possibly something else.

In my own opinion, I really dislike the fact that I can't see the nodes, plants, or dead animals (leather) far away as I can see in the day. I like to plan my routes to be efficient in farming. Also, you can't see the enemies from far away and the hidden chests. It's just an annoying mechanic, I would rather have only the skybox changed from daylight and the sun to a subtle blue and a moon and call it without this unnecessary darkness. Same in dungeons, darkness doesn't add anything to the encounters, and fighting in pitch black is annoying. I think the other post referring to the length is just because the same opinion, to make it shorter and just get over with it so he can keep doing stuff in daylight.

Also it's hard to navigate the maps if you don't know them very well, you can't see the landscape or any reference point if it's not being lit up with some torch or something. It's just being annoying for the sake of being annoying and makes you waste time or just afk until it's day again.

I know some people like that, don't know why, but that's why I'm asking to have a brighter slider so people can enjoy their darkness, and I can play like any other MMOs that night is only a little detail in the background like WoW, ESO, FFXIV or GW2.

This was great info. Makes night much better for me w/o ruining immersion.

In my own opinion, I really dislike the fact that I can't see the nodes, plants, or dead animals (leather) far away as I can see in the day. I like to plan my routes to be efficient in farming. Also, you can't see the enemies from far away and the hidden chests. It's just an annoying mechanic, I would rather have only the skybox changed from daylight and the sun to a subtle blue and a moon and call it without this unnecessary darkness. Same in dungeons, darkness doesn't add anything to the encounters, and fighting in pitch black is annoying. I think the other post referring to the length is just because the same opinion, to make it shorter and just get over with it so he can keep doing stuff in daylight.

Also it's hard to navigate the maps if you don't know them very well, you can't see the landscape or any reference point if it's not being lit up with some torch or something. It's just being annoying for the sake of being annoying and makes you waste time or just afk until it's day again.

I know some people like that, don't know why, but that's why I'm asking to have a brighter slider so people can enjoy their darkness, and I can play like any other MMOs that night is only a little detail in the background like WoW, ESO, FFXIV or GW2.
I'm sitting here shaking my head.

To take this to the nth degree, does it annoy you that the devs don't just provide a website showing all the secret locations when they pop up so you can efficiently grab them?

If the devs made the change you want so as to make it "like WoW, ESO, FFXIV or GW2" I would uninstall and walk away, it would take away so much from this game.

I'm sitting here shaking my head.

To take this to the nth degree, does it annoy you that the devs don't just provide a website showing all the secret locations when they pop up so you can efficiently grab them?

If the devs made the change you want so as to make it "like WoW, ESO, FFXIV or GW2" I would uninstall and walk away, it would take away so much from this game.

And why your opinion is more valid than mine? I too want to uninstall because it is the way it is.

Also if you took the effort to read all my post you then also read that I don't want it to be removed, I just want a slider option to negate the effect, so you can be running in the dark all you want and I can play the way I want.

I would love to have a more detailed wiki or even a Wowhead version to know everything and target farm the items I want. But sadly I don't have it because the game is not big and popular enough.

And why your opinion is more valid than mine? I too want to uninstall because it is the way it is.

Also if you took the effort to read all my post you then also read that I don't want it to be removed, I just want a slider option to negate the effect, so you can be running in the dark all you want and I can play the way I want.

I would love to have a more detailed wiki or even a Wowhead version to know everything and target farm the items I want. But sadly I don't have it because the game is not big and popular enough.
I did read all of your post, you clearly want an unfair advantage over those of us that want an immersive experience.

We will have to agree to disagree, because I don't want people to have that advantage.

I did read all of your post, you clearly want an unfair advantage over those of us that want an immersive experience.

We will have to agree to disagree, because I don't want people to have that advantage.

You talk about immersion and advantage, those are not synonyms... If you like immersion there's nothing wrong with people who don't like it to be able to opt it out.

Advantage? Over whom? just because I see some nodes far away? resources are not scarce, there are almost no people on the maps so there are no fights over nodes...

You're being overly dramatic, you want the night? keep it, I want to be able to disable it.

Personally would like night to be adjusted back to how dark it was on release. One of the tags for the game is "Be a light in the darkness".
Hundreds of games without a day/night cycle if you have a fear of the dark or those boomer eyes can't handle it anymore; no need to cry about how dark it is and try to ruin the feature for others.

Personally would like night to be adjusted back to how dark it was on release. One of the tags for the game is "Be a light in the darkness".
Hundreds of games without a day/night cycle if you have a fear of the dark or those boomer eyes can't handle it anymore; no need to cry about how dark it is and try to ruin the feature for others.

Why is it that every white knight defending this game has to be rude? Does moderation is non-existent here?

Also again, I'm not asking it to be removed, I just want to be able to make it brighter TO ME, not for everyone else, like an optional thing you know?. Go fumble in the dark all you want, doesn't matter to me.

@Colanius how will you feel when weather is implemented. If rain obscures vision would you want to turn that off? If snow masks nodes would you want to turn that off?

I think the SHS devs intend for the day / night cycle to be a feature of the game play rather than a cosmetic item.

How would you feel if the devs could make it so you could turn it off, but then the night time mobs didn't spawn for you?

Just trying to understand your thoughts better.

@Colanius how will you feel when weather is implemented. If rain obscures vision would you want to turn that off? If snow masks nodes would you want to turn that off?

I think the SHS devs intend for the day / night cycle to be a feature of the game play rather than a cosmetic item.

How would you feel if the devs could make it so you could turn it off, but then the night time mobs didn't spawn for you?

Just trying to understand your thoughts better.

Again, all that you mentioned should be cosmetic and optional. Day/Night cycle will keep carrying on, including monster cycles. I'm just asking for a slider option in the settings to be able to turn it off and on as people desire. Do you want immersion? go full slider. Do you want to farm nodes and materials and not be bothered/interested in immersion? just toggle it off.

What I suggest It doesn't affect the core engine cycle of day and night mechanic, it's just a visual on/off. Like you can moderate the weather, for example, rain density in WoW with a script command to not be annoyed by all the lines on your screen.

Seriously @Colanius I feel you about the White Knights and this game. They are a plague and it's like that since Beta.........I just try to ignore their comments I guess.

Regarding the nightime, here's a solution for you: "turn your gamma up in Nividia/AMD control panel and you won't have dark nights anymore ;)"
I don't personally use it, cause I like the night atmosphere, but I understand some people don't and that's fine.

A slider with minus 2-3 would be best, but this solution will help.

I have to disagree that things like this don't affect gameplay.

I remember when playing EQ back in the 90s how, after the opening of the Plane of Hate, it was so dark in Kithicor Forest during night time and even in daytime you couldn't see far. It was also extremely dangerous at night even to high level characters. Most if not all people ran around the edge, wall running, when they had to cross the zone. So the impact of having this restricted vision modified the behaviour of the players, it wasn't just immersion.

Back then their were no fancy graphics so I might guess that part of what they did was reduce the maximum viewing distance. How would you feel if as the expousure slider was moved to make it brighter at night the viewing distance was reduced?

Perhaps these features of the game are meant to make you adjust your gameplay.

Last edited:
I will be honest and say it was adjusting my gameplay not knowing about at least the -1 Exposure Slider setting. I logged out and played some other game or did something else IRL most times unless I was in a group and heading for a Dungeon. I have no desire to run around in the dark with a torch that illuminates 5ft of my surroundings and fighting in pitch black in a video game for 30-60min of real time. It is really just that simple.

Back