What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Night needs to be adjusted

Most if not all people ran around the edge, wall running, when they had to cross the zone.

People was avoiding the zone entirely, that was not intended gameplay. It wasn't "a sense of danger" it was just annoying to go through it. Night in this game is the same, I just want to be able to get rid of it without impacting in other people's experience.

Why are you so adamant into open to more options? why your way is the only way? You can still enjoy the darkest night with your settings and I can have a bright as day night with my own settings and enjoy the game too.

Likewise, why are you so adamant that it's not right for the devs to decide this is how they want their game to be.

Because they already stated that they can add the option (Undone itself said so), but they were listening to feedback and understanding why people disliked the night first, so I gave my feedback.

And why your opinion is more valid than mine? I too want to uninstall because it is the way it is.

Also if you took the effort to read all my post you then also read that I don't want it to be removed, I just want a slider option to negate the effect, so you can be running in the dark all you want and I can play the way I want.

This is a common theme in EA. There are polarizing features that players either love or hate. I don't believe the developers should continue to double down at the extremes, players should have the option to personalize their experience so they can enjoy the game on their own terms. In truth, this concept rests at the core of what an MMORPG should be: a digital adventure that allows players to forge their own experiences.

For example, the night mechanic is annoying, but at the same time I love the immersive experience it creates. If it were my decision, I would keep the day/night cycle, but provide players the option to crank up the brightness at night such that they don't need a torch, and they could still see far away into the distance. The night cycle is fine, just give the players a more potent option to make it less annoying!

Personally I love the night time and I think lighting the torch and running around is super pretty. Without a light source I'd completely hate night time but I think having a light source that you can easily enable/disable with a single key stroke without having to manually unequip/equip an item is awesome.

I'm fine with the night as it is, but what should be improved IMO is the visibility of gathering nodes. The small mining patches for example are already easy to miss in daylight, at night they are basically impossible to see unless you happen to walk nearly right over it. Could we maybe get a feint glow at night for gathering objects (and maybe a size bump for the smallest ore depots)?

I'm fine with the night as it is, but what should be improved IMO is the visibility of gathering nodes. The small mining patches for example are already easy to miss in daylight, at night they are basically impossible to see unless you happen to walk nearly right over it. Could we maybe get a feint glow at night for gathering objects (and maybe a size bump for the smallest ore depots)?
Maybe have them show up as little gold dots on the mini-map?

I've thought about this off-and-on during my playtime. I understand the annoyance, but also the immersion argument.

My preference would be for a quest that allows you to see 'better' at night, perhaps at the cost of Ember. I think this mechanic already exists in game because you can see the lighting effects change as you approach a Ember Ring/Hallow. (I think about Infravision in EverQuest)

This would allow the player to have enhanced vision at the cost of a limited resource. If the quest is level 20-25, I think it also keeps the 'feel' of the early game in tact.

I love night in Embers. The colors really shine and are deeper. The lighting is very nice.. You can see the NPC names easier as the yellow overhead labels stand out. I also suggest turning off your torch and letting your eyes adjust. You can still see nodes (especially the flowers as they are brighter at night and stand out) and I would also suggest turning vegetation down to make seeing them easier. Ever turn your interior light on in your car at night while driving.. Its harder to see outside isnt it? Torches are nice for checking dark corners and such but try letting your eyes adjust without it. As mentioned, try the exposure adjustment settings or your cards gamma settings. Just some suggestions from a player who loves night in the game.

You can still see nodes (especially the flowers as they are brighter at night and stand out) and I would also suggest turning vegetation down to make seeing them easier.
Oh really? So where's the ore nodes in this picture:
EmbersAdrift_2023.11.29.23.36.59.png

Ok, that was a very easy example, often times they are harder to spot
EmbersAdrift_2023.11.29.23.37.09.png

You will learn how to distinguish them. Of course its going to be harder at night (thats the whole point). The hardest zone would be Highland Hills as there are lots of tree stumps which look like nodes.
nah, I just won't bother with it anymore. Crafting in general and weaponsmithing in particular is too useless to put that much effort into it.

nah, I just won't bother with it anymore. Crafting in general and weaponsmithing in particular is too useless to put that much effort into it.
Well you can make gear augments, potions, or items with specific stats on them that are not found in the game elsewhere. Its your choice to not do it but its not useless if you understand what the potential is. Its not worth it to some people, but it certainly is to others and gives them some other progression system to work on between fights, etc.

@Keiban you realize your primary argument is that it is harder to see at night than in the day? Is that not usually the case? I know for me when I'm doing stuff at night that it's a lot harder to see *shrug*.

@Keiban you realize your primary argument is that it is harder to see at night than in the day? Is that not usually the case? I know for me when I'm doing stuff at night that it's a lot harder to see *shrug*.
What I'm trying to say is that (some) resources are so hard to see at night that it becomes futile to go out and farm them. I'm fine with night making things harder to see, but not to the point where it ruins the gameplay or severly hampers your ability to gather stuff.

What I'm trying to say is that (some) resources are so hard to see at night that it becomes futile to go out and farm them. I'm fine with night making things harder to see, but not to the point where it ruins the gameplay or severly hampers your ability to gather stuff.
Thats the whole point of night, its supposed to be harder. Its yin and yang, cant have light without dark, and adds to the dynamics the developers are shooting for. Some nodes are actually easier to see at night (later on you have glowing gems and flowers in general seem to be easier to see at night than during day depending on which zone you are in. Saying its futile and severely hampering your ability is taking this way to far. You can still do it, sure its harder, but thats the point of night.

Ok how about an alchemical potion that let's you see in the dark better? Not as if it were day but better and as you level just like any other alchemical potions they will allow you to see better and farther at night or in the darkness. For example level 1-10 you would brighten the darkness by about 10% and see about 15% further than you would in normal darkness. 11-20 you would brighten the darkness by 20% and see 30% farther etc. etc..

This gives players the option in game to use limited time potions if they want to see better in the dark or to not use potions and play as normal. It also gives players something else to make. Perhaps they might have to use ember as an ingredient to see since it glows.

Just an idea!

Honestly my favourite thing about this game is the amount of in-world downtime that's encouraged. Including nights. When playing solo, yes it can be frustrating to be out in the wilderness looking for resources to gather, but of course it is, it's night time, gathering is a day time activity. So you can hunt wildlife instead or take some time to prep for the sunrise, further more, logging off to avoid night-time is not a bad thing either. Time away from the game is healthy, and games expecting 6+ hour sessions in one go (whilst this is possible in embers adrift and with a group can be fun) is a ridiculous demand. At the moment I'm only level 15, I've done some exploring of the meadowlands and of dryfoot and haven't had too much issue with identifying resources or getting lost at night, it is more difficult but it's not futile or impossible. Mostly, however, night time is a good opportunity for me to go sit by an ember ring and do some housework, or cooking and no other MMO I've played has been so eager to give me opportunities to do that.

Embers Adrift is not a race to the finish, Elloa captured this well in her video "Is EMBERS ADRIFT a MMORPG for you? - 5 reasons to play it" describing it as being about "A meaningful journey" and the solar cycle is short enough that it's not difficult to plan for both daylight and nighttime activity, but ultimately to get the most out of night time, play with friends, or run about with a group of strangers so that the effects of the darkness are subdued by the company and engagement instead.

As for the argument to just increase night time brightness beyond it's purpose, whilst I respect the issue here, I don't believe this is an appropriate solution, the exposure adjustment as it is seems like plenty enough to enable resource discovery and diminish the effect of night time, but disabling the darkness entirely negatively impacts design decisions already present in the game relating to atmosphere and collaborative engagement, and could be argued to convey unnecessary advantage to players who opt in to brighter nights, and whilst yes, it would appear as a choice, it would soon move towards an established meta of everyone playing with light nights to maintain parity on resource gathering or levels, which I feel is a competitive nature the Stormhaven team want to avoid encouraging.

If you are desperate for lighter nights however, consider gamma adjustment on your monitor, or adding a third party shader mod like Reshade and tailor nights to your needs, though I'm not sure on the approval of this latter process or the impact it would have on game performance.

Honestly my favourite thing about this game is the amount of in-world downtime that's encouraged. Including nights. When playing solo, yes it can be frustrating to be out in the wilderness looking for resources to gather, but of course it is, it's night time, gathering is a day time activity.
I talked with a dev (Adric) about this in the community meeting about 2 weeks ago, and he stated that it's not their design intend to "encourage downtime" by making some activities significantly harder at night then at daytime. They'll look into making gathering nodes better visible at night (not by brightening up the whole screen, but by making the nodes itself give of a glow for example).

Back