What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Feedback Game - List your 3 favourite things and 3 most disliked things about the game

-why did you start playing?
I learned about the game from Nathan napalm and I love classic style mmos.

3 favorite things
1 the combat feel and pacing is excellent.
2 I love it's a game you play WITH other people and not just another single player game that happens to have other players on the screen.
3 I love the lack of a map, no auction house, and that it gets dark at night.

3 least favorite things
1 lack of complexity and variety of the classes. Lack of utility skills
2 linier progression through the zones and lack of npc factions makes it feel like a video game not a living world.
3 light source should be an off hand item so that one person could take the job of torch bearer and still participate in the game by using a torch and 1h weapon. Putting the torch in your pocket and fighting in the dark each time or leaving a trail of tikki torches is silly and immersion breaking.

-Write down your reason to start playing Embers Adrift-
I love MMORPGs especially old school styled ones.

-Write down your 3 favorite things about Embers Adrift-
1. Classic styled MMORPG.
2. Great world design with excellent dungeon design.
3. An actual dark night time instead of like other games as WoW where "night time" is almost as bright as day time.
But we should be able to hold a torch in one hand and fight with a one hand weapon in the other!

-Write down your 3 most disliked things about Embers Adrift-
1. The armor weight system. Its >extremely< restrictive and NOT a good system. Lowbies cant even wear a full set of leather armor that our grandmas could wear. Even max level players still complain they cant wear a full set of armor, which is ridiculous. There is a reason most other games dont use this type of system, because its a bad and frustrating system.
2. No mounts. The fast travel system through monoliths is ok, but that does not make up for lack of any mounts....its waaaay too much running, and takes forever to do anything even for a classic styled MMORPG.
3. Very slow experience gains especially for solo players, and no experience rewards for quests only makes it worse. Even Everquest leveling is faster, and even for solo players too.

Embers Adrift is a unique and GREAT game, with a good team of developers behind it and a pretty good community of players too. Despite the things I dont like about it(mainly armor weight system and painfully slow leveling) I really do love it and want to see it progress and expand. Cant wait for the magic system.

Last edited:
  • Write down your reason to start playing Embers Adrift
    • @thenathannapalm is my favorite person in the world. Since he showed a passion for the game, I felt I needed a taste.
  • Write down your 3 favorite things about Embers Adrift
    • The range of class variety branches from a simplified core class.
    • Crafting and gathering. So many options! A complete game on its own.
    • Gear is simplified by the three core classes while amplifiers (urine) branch out to the advanced classes.
  • Write down your 3 most disliked things about Embers Adrift
    • Crafting - The time/effort it takes to make items seems wasted.
      • Allow more control on results (stats, class, bonuses)
      • Should outshine dropped gear
    • Exploring vast empty zones at a very slow run speed.
      • Being fixed with roads increasing speed
    • Warlord's "songs" make the class popular, but 2 in a group don't work.
      • Allow the songs to grow in strength and stay on to promote each Warlord to focus on a song (only one song can sing at a time)

Write down your reason to start playing Embers Adrift
It seemed to tick all the boxes for what I want in an MMO (And various streamers made me want to play).

Write down your 3 favourite things about Embers Adrift
1. No handholding. (You actually have to think about exploration and quests).
2. The challenge (Something of equal level to you is actually an even fight).
3. The Grouping/Social aspect.

Write down your 3 most disliked things about Embers Adrift
1. Very slow/unrewarding progression.(I feel like even P99 is faster).
2. Rigidly tiered gear and level requirement brackets. (Does it need to be locked at 10, 20 , 25 etc?).
3. The world doesn't feel alive. (In terms of zones, NPCs, and the environment).

Reason to play... was bored or AAA mmos

Grouping
Community
Exploring

Dislikes

Need more quests and xp for them
Trading is very difficult
Low pop which is why trading is hard

Going to interupt this thread to say a big THANK YOU to everyone participating in this Feedback Game. Thank you everyone for the time taken to post your answers. It is very interesting and very pleasant to read! ❤

Let's continue! :)

MMORPG.com article had me intrigued about an low fantasy MMO where torches and darkness were a thing. Also, the first time a rat killed me in the valley because I wasn't paying attention had me hooked.

• Write down your 3 favourite things about Embers Adrift
    1. That pulling and crowd control matter
    2. Dungeon exploration and recently exploring Highland Hills, which is an amazing zone with all kinds of nooks and crannies and rewards for looking.
    3. Great class design overall. Love the CC classes. If we could delete berserkers it would be perfect. Marshals are fine. Nothing to see here. Move along.
    Honourable mention: Lots of different activities for different group sizes...solo/duo loops in dungeons.

1. That aoe damage is a thing. Berserkers get under my skin so bad breaking CC. Also knowing the meta from every other game is AOE4lyfe I desperately hope it doesnt happen here.
    2. No housing
    3. Lack of wardobe tab...I cried every day I logged in my duelist with his purple pants, orange shirt and red gloves.
  • Honourable Mention: The running animation when you have your 2hs out is....bad.
Yours truly,
Rhys/Gryssom/Kael

EA is similar to EQ but with updated mechanics, systems, and quality of life concepts.

Write down your 3 favorite things about Embers Adrift
*The game feels mysterious. With the cyclic seasons, night/day, and revolving spawns, I'm always on edge about what may pop out next.
*The world feels alive. Interactions with environment and npcs seem somewhat relevant. (ie, spiders webs that you run into slow movement speed; all the npcs seem to have a purpose)
*Community interaction a necessity to truly progress, where each individual is bringing unique skills and abilities to help the collective ascend and succeed.

*The time gates. Walking long distances is easy, but time consuming. Leveling up is easy, but time consuming. Crafting is easy, but time consuming. I don't believe there is a relevant market for a 'classic mmorpg' whose main obstacle is investing substantial amounts of time performing mind numbing actions. I cite the current player population as evidence. Suggestion: cut the timegates on everything by at least half, and make the game harder. Players/groups can't blaze through the content when there is no guarantee they will make it through a dungeon alive.

*Lack of class diversity. There needs to be be more than 3 roles with 3 specializations. Period. Would like to see each class bringing even more unique abilities and skills that aid the collective.

*Low fantasy just seems like an excuse for the development team having a lack of resources. The mmorpg market didn't ask for a low fantasy game, what they wanted was a 'modern mmorpg with classic elements made with modern graphics, systems, and mechanics'. Give the players what they want. The core game of EA is great, and with a few changes it can be truly amazing.

Last edited:
your reason to start playing
I saw the game on NathanNapalm YouTube and it looked appealing

your 3 favorite things
- Tactical fighting gameplay (i.e. stamina management, choosing abilities based on group, when to use abilities, etc)
- I really enjoy the gathering and crafting system, especially when Imbued items are high quality.
- Something just feels right about the slower paced leveling and it's rewarding to get a group together to explore new places and earn exp.

your 3 most disliked things
- Named mobs should be harder, they just feel (and they are) like rare 3c mobs who drop loot, but it would be cool if they had special abilities or dispositions and were a tad more difficult or complicated than 3c mobs.
- I really enjoy duo/trio and felt a severe lack of 2c camps and/or paths up until very recently (low 20s). Now I'm 24 and have found some nice 2c treants and a 2c run through UC. I really hope to see more 2c camps in further levels.
- It would be cool if there were more rare drops during gathering maybe 1/100 or something), which could be used in some specialty crafting items.

I like a game I can explore and take my time doing it. I will try and get to every nook and cranny in a game. Embers Adrift is giving me plenty to see!

1. The huge roaming bosses in zones that if you look at them wrong they wipe the floor with you.
2. Crafting my gear I need and it actually being useful.
3. Winning that rare item on a roll when in a group.

1. Not having an icon that represents you on a map. I am all for learning an area and I do but it would help greatly in learning an area if you knew where you were to begin with.
2. The need to run for long periods of time to get to an area you want to go to within a zone. The zones are huge and sometimes it just feels like all I am doing is running from one place to another and loosing valuable playing time doing so.
3. Seeing people practically begging in chat for a group or help in a quest and no one responds. All I can think is we are going to lose these players if this continues to happen to them.

View attachment 3059

Greetings everyone!

I would like us to play a little game, which will be a way to understand better what you like and what you dislike about Embers Adrift.
This is not to have a conversation, but just to gather what you enjoy about the game and what you do not enjoy about the game. I think this can be both fun, and interesting!

So the rules of the game:
  • Write in SHORT, concise answers
    Example: My friend is playing, No other game to play at the moment, Feels like EQ.
    Example: 1.Group Based 2.Vast world to explore 3. Blupiter!
    Example: 1. Too slow to lvl up 2.Not enough beard choices 3. No Magic
  • Do not respond to other players. Just write down your short answers. Have fun doing so!

This little game interests me greatly to understand you better. If you LOVE the game and enjoy it I want to know your favorite things and your most disliked things. If you DO NOT LIKE the game, I want to know what you like, what you dislike and why you joined in the first place.

Thank you for participating! Please share with your friends so we have a maximum of feedback. I know players that enjoy the game tend to NOT post on forums, but here it would be nice to have their feedback. Write down your reason to start playing Embers Adrift
  • Example: My friend is playing, No other game to play at the moment, Feels like EQ.
  • Do not respond to other players. Just write down your short answers. Have fun doing so!
View attachment 3059

Greetings everyone!

I would like us to play a little game, which will be a way to understand better what you like and what you dislike about Embers Adrift.
This is not to have a conversation, but just to gather what you enjoy about the game and what you do not enjoy about the game. I think this can be both fun, and interesting!

So the rules of the game:
  • Write in SHORT, concise answers
    Example: My friend is playing, No other game to play at the moment, Feels like EQ.

This little game interests me greatly to understand you better. If you LOVE the game and enjoy it I want to know your favorite things and your most disliked things. If you DO NOT LIKE the game, I want to know what you like, what you dislike and why you joined in the first place.

Thank you for participating! Please share with your friends so we have a maximum of feedback. I know players that enjoy the game tend to NOT post on forums, but here it would be nice to have their feedback too!
Looking for that feeling of playing EQ, but in a modern engine.
1. Difficulty requires attention.
2. Grouping is integral to the game
3. The devs are passionate and involved
1. Lacks solo builds/options (see EQ Necro/Magician/Druid etc)
2. Weapons-by-class too restrictive - some limitation makes sense from a balance or mechanics perspective, but feels immersion-breaking when a striker can’t use a crossbow, for example.
3. Animations need polish/reworking. Need that “crunch” of impact.

• Write down your reason to start playingEmbers Adrift
    • I had stumbled on it looking for an old school like game.
  • Write down your 3 favorite thingsabout Embers Adrift
    • No Auction house!
      • Mostly have to work for your gear
    • Difficulty and slow progression
    • No Fast Travel
    • Always feels like its night, Maybe Change name to Embers Night? I normally go AFK at night or log off
      • I get that night is a core mechanic, but it should not make it nearly unplayable at night.
      • I do not mind the dungeons be pitch black though...
    • Grey Con Mobs are still Aggro
    • Crafting seems lack luster, Constantly getting better drops off Trash Mobs
      • Also Stats on gear seem inconsequential

I stared playing Ember Adrift because I am always trying out new MMOs and I watched a review Lazy Peon did and it sparked my interest.

1. The forced grouping that builds relationships and reputation for your characters. This builds the community and and weeds out toxic players.
2. Tab targeting. always enjoyed a slower pace of the old style MMOs combat.
3. The holy Trinity for classes

1. No macro system. I've always enjoyed making macros when grouped and linked them up with skills and spells to make me more unique and fun.
2. No weather system. Rain, snow, lighting storms, sandstorms.
3. The filter for loot while grouped is terrible. There should be a option to auto need on classes or role specific loot. Also Loot needs to be more defined so loot that really doesn't suit a specific class or role can't roll on it.

I started playing I think because Nathan Napalm, whom I watched play EQ and such, publicized the game, discussing its origins. I then realized I had followed the old project years ago as well, for all the reasons Embers was made. Harkening back to Olde School MMOs, etc.

Reasons I enjoy Embers in no particular order;
* Nature - the focus of the game on the natural world rather than hyper mystical environments grounds it in reality. Internal consistency.
* Scale - the physical scale of the terrain is a huge issue for me, you don't get villages 40 feet away from a goblin cave. Internal consistency.
* Combat Model - low APM and high TTK are critical for retaining the feel of an RPG into live action. EQ, FFXI, & Camelot's PVE managed this. Very few others.

Things I dislike about Embers in no particular order;
* Mouse Only - after a lifetime of heavy mouse usage it hurts. A lot. I have a very limited budget of game time available for mouse games.
* Combat Sounds - bit too much wet thwacks and crunches (very minor issue)
* Camera Delay - the camera has a heavy delay when tracking mouse movement, works for some games but don't like it here (very minor issue)

• Reason to start playing Embers Adrift
    • Started playing because of another player who suggested it to me
    • I love social/community centered games that give the illusion of inclusion for solo players
    • Mainstream games usually have an end to them, and don't incorporate old game styles for world and combat (Everquest type) like this does.

• 3 favorite things about Embers Adrift (not in any order)
    • Big community focus
    • no micro transactions
    • no PvP

• 3 most disliked things about Embers Adrift (not in any order)
    • Slow levelling. Understandable at lower levels, but it feels too slow constantly
    • No pet-type class, either a magical minion or hunter minion type
    • Soloing is tedious and unfavored in this game. While this is a very social game, I do feel that there needs to be the ability to solo quests when necessary-which is lacking in this game for now

*edit for spelling and grammatical/conversational smoothing

Last edited:

While I enjoy Project 1999 and revisiting my early days in Everquest, I have long been looking for a more modern, but old school MMO that recaptures some of that EQ feeling.

Write down your 3 favourite things about Embers Adrift

1. I enjoy the old school, group focused spirit of Embers Adrift (this is your best feature)
2. I also love the challenge of soloing in an MMO like this (soloing is still important even in a group focused game)
3. Classes depend on each other (the holy trinity is in tact!)

1. Lack of true ranged and/or magic class options (being able to use a bow at short range with generic class abilities does not capture the spirit of a ranged class in any way)
2. Lack of rewarding class/horizontal progression (what am I looking forward to when it comes to my character's progression?)
3. While Embers Adrift start to shine in a group, the combat system falls much more flat when soloing (giving class abilities better audio cues or animations would certainly help - I think this is where you lose new players - the feel of the class abilities while soloing is just so lacking even compared to something as old as Project 1999 - classes lack any sort of audio or visual identifiers beyond the basic weapons - having no magic doesn't mean classes should feel this bland, especially at the start)

Reason I started playing: I am a forever optimist in finding my EQ1 experience again.

Three things I love about the game:
1: Elegant thoughtful design, which doesnt seek to copy paste other MMO steps of the past.

2: Low fantasy vibes. I'm a Conan fan, and this gives me them vibes.

3: Grouping rewarded. Although I honestly feel the XP boost for group vs. solo, is a bit much. Groups are already getting the better loot. It's not necessary for them to also get such a stark XP differential. I feel a soloist in this game needs some love. Please dont nerf group XP! Again, it's the solo player that needs the love here.

Three things that will improve the game:
1: Subclass specialization! Need choices that matter, besides what gear I am slapping on. I dont care if it's a small talent system or a large one. I want some kind of meaningful and powerful election to be made, which makes my character different from another of the same class, besides this one uses an axe and that one uses two swords. This is the biggest glaring issue for the game.

2: Alchemy/magic/emberology needs to be wide and varied, and access to it needs to be focused and limited. I will shelf the game again, if EVERYONE is running around with a flaming sword and shooting fireballs. Seriously dont fuck this up guys. There needs to be elections to be made. AND one such election should be the ability to opt out of it, and double down on a more mundane facet of your base class. Some folks don't want to have anything to do with alchemy or magic or whatever, and just want to be a guy who is good with a sword/bow/shield or whatever. I think there should be a way to reward a purist with focus and dedication to their craft, who doesn't elect to minor in emberology. Alternatively, it would be nice to have a sacrificial option available, where you might get a bonus, if you elect to double down in embercraft, at the expense of your core class. Make 2 slug abilities, that you must slot on your ability bar, but aren't abilities. They instead function as passives you can slot on your bar that represent a focused study to the craft. Make one give +20 ember damage, and one give +20 ember effect duration. So if you want to be an EMBER WEEZARD, you can, at the expense of your ability bar options. I've made this suggestion about 'active passive'/stances/whatever you want to call it, before, and I honestly dont know why it hasn't been done yet. It represents specialization, by literally limiting your variety. A beserker should be able to slot a passive ability slug called "aggressive focus" which gives them -avoid/-parry/-block/-dmg resist and +OHAC/+2H Pen. A warden should get one called "strong pull" which gives +ranged distance with bows. A brigand should get one called "skulker" which gives them a smaller aggro radius, so they can stealth the best. Again, these come at the cost of variety, so there is balance.

3: Listen to me more.

Last edited:
Level 17 Berserker - Started playing 1 week ago

I was interested after searching for new MMORPGs

1. Meaningfulness of abilities
  • 2 . Gathering (not crafting)
  • 3. Community

1. EU Players Population (I can only play dungeons if it's like 3:00 AM for me), the game is NOT soloable. You need at least two people to farm xp.
    2. Quests are not impactful, I feel they are more like opt-ins, especially if you buy/craft/obtain gear
    3. Trading is not used that much, people prefer to have 10 alts and do things on their own, it beats the purpose of what you guys proposed for the game

BONUS: Please, change the two-handed sword combat walk animation :D

Been looking for something that isn't your typical MMO's with cash shops, micro transactions and content designed to be done within a month and spat out. I have been happily surprised that Embers Adrift stands alone in saying “No Cash Shops Ever”

Slow Pace – An MMO designed to be enjoyed for a longer period of time. Leveling is slow, and because leveling is slow getting levels is almost an achievement.

Group Orientated Gameplay – Grouping is a key facet of Embers, where tanks, healers and dps must work in unison in order to be successful. Where thought must be put into: What gets pulled, who gets Crowd Controlled, What gets killed first and sometimes When to know when to fold and run away.

Community Driven – Because the world is consistent and the dungeons are not instanced you really get to know who is on your server, for one reason or another.

Itemization – The gear/stats needs rework, the fact that there is only really 2-3 sets of DPS armor and that even at level 50 striker you probably don't have enough armor weight to wear it all the pieces is a little too much. We've also seen so many item drops where we've said “Ok what is the point of this.”

Recipe Drops - The drops for the crafting recipes are all over the place. Where Armor smith and Weapon smith recipes drop so much you vendor them and then you have the majority of Hunting/Provisioning like the Elk recipes, where you have 6! ultra rare drops (4 of those just for processing) and the end result is not worth the effort to get them.

Not many players at a higher level – If your 1-20 this isn't much of an issue but once you start getting to 28+ people struggle to find groups to level unless they already have a static/static parallel, which leads people to often make an alt or just quit the game.

BONUS - Game needs more ranged options

I started playing EA because the MMO market was bare and I heard good things.

My three favorite things are:
The fact that the combat might approach turn-based level of complexity in outcomes, opposed to action.
Exploring and 'living' in the world.
Potential, which is mostly a "me" thing.

My three gripes are:
The game feels like you shouldn't be solo.
NO PVP (yeah, not gonna mean anything to you guys, but seriously.)
Gathering is pretty boring and repetitive/samey loot tables.

Back