What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Armor

One of the things we wanted to do when designing our armor system is provide as much flexibility to the player as possible. This mean not adding role restrictions to armor, but instead trying to find another way to restrict what people could wear based on their role. This is where the armor weight system comes into play. Each slot has a fixed armor weight range for equipped items. Each role has an armor weight allowance that when exceeded imposes pretty strict penalties. Ideally this would lead to visual variety, but also some difficult decisions you as a player have to make about what to equip, and what to not equip. The system is a bit unorthodox yes, but we also feel that it grants the player a great deal of flexibility in the armor that they wear.

We also recognize that we are fighting an uphill battle in a way. Traditional MMOs have trained players to "fill every slot" if they have the equipment to do so. We are going against the grain here and allowing you to pick and choose which slots to fill as you level up (you unlock more armor weight as you level).
As a new player - I'm just learning the game, so I apologize if I'm not quite getting this system. If I can work up my skill enough to craft a low-level set of armor, as a low-level, level 5, I should at least be able to wear it. What is the point of having a set of low level armor that you cant wear at low levels? Pretty much any game will let you use a full set of low-level armor at level 1 - assuming you can find/make it all. If you don't want to allow players to wear full armor sets at lower levels, then lock all armor slots until a certain level, then add slots as you level. It would still provide the same progression you seem to want, without confusion for new players. Limitations without explanation tends to turn players off.

• Love
Reactions: CWB
As a new player - I'm just learning the game, so I apologize if I'm not quite getting this system. If I can work up my skill enough to craft a low-level set of armor, as a low-level, level 5, I should at least be able to wear it. What is the point of having a set of low level armor that you cant wear at low levels? Pretty much any game will let you use a full set of low-level armor at level 1 - assuming you can find/make it all. If you don't want to allow players to wear full armor sets at lower levels, then lock all armor slots until a certain level, then add slots as you level. It would still provide the same progression you seem to want, without confusion for new players. Limitations without explanation tends to turn players off.
This thread is a year old, nice necro.
Undone answers YOUR ENTIRE QUESTION and actually addresses EVERY concern you are mentioning in the post that you are quoting. It sounds like doing a little reading and learning something new your issue, not the armor weight system.

• Haha
Undone answers YOUR ENTIRE QUESTION and actually addresses EVERY concern you are mentioning in the post that you are quoting. It sounds like doing a little reading and learning something new your issue, not t
Undone answers YOUR ENTIRE QUESTION and actually addresses EVERY concern you are mentioning in the post that you are quoting. It sounds like doing a little reading and learning something new your issue, not the armor weight system.

he armor weight system.
"This thread is a year old, nice necro." Pointless hypocritical point.
And you necro'd the necro, and Im necroing you necroing the necro, who cares?? Something so minor is not worth getting triggered over especially when you replied to his necro in the first place... And he is right, the armor weight system IS still extremely restrictive. The only "explanation" is the devs are very stubborn about keeping it. Its not a good system, its not fun, its just extremely annoying. I love going through all the work to get a new piece of gear, only to not be able to wear it because of this very restrictive armor weight system. And Im not even talking heavy armor Im just talking leather armor for crying out loud. Every character of all levels and classes in the game, should be able to wear dang near a full set of leather armor, it makes no sense they cant. I could understand maybe chain and plate being limited to non-tank classes, but not just leather.

Lets see....where do I begin:

"This thread is a year old, nice necro." - if you don't want people referencing old posts - dont allow old posts to be replied to. Its called managing the channel content.

"Undone answers YOUR ENTIRE QUESTION..." - I didnt actually ask a direct question - it was rhetorical. (rhe·tor·i·cal - form of a question asked in order to produce an effect or to make a statement rather than to elicit information.) - if you need more information, I suggest you do a "little reading and learning something new". Also - caps?? Really??

"...and actually addresses EVERY concern you are mentioning" - Addressing something is not fixing. Caps again?

So - in closing - is my response snarky? Yes. Why? It's a snarky response to your snarky reply. Had you shown any decency in your reply - realizing I was a new player just asking questions, and providing new-user insights on how the game is being received, you could have taken a much higher road and been more tactful in your statement, and actually provided a thought-provoking and positive response.

Enjoy the game, and may I never run into your likes again.

• Love
It is a unique system, and it could do with more explaining early on, but there is work coming in the next monthly patch to provide better explanations for new players.

All I can do is give you my opinion, and I like the system, you get to make choices every time you get a new piece of gear, and that keeps things interesting.
I would hate to see the system change.

• Haha
It is a unique system, and it could do with more explaining early on, but there is work coming in the next monthly patch to provide better explanations for new players.

All I can do is give you my opinion, and I like the system, you get to make choices every time you get a new piece of gear, and that keeps things interesting.
I would hate to see the system change.
I think you are confusing "interesting" with frustrating and very restrictive hehe.

I think you are confusing "interesting" with frustrating and very restrictive hehe.
Not at all.
I genuinely think the game would be a lot less interesting if crafting was OP and you could simply craft up a min/max suit and faceroll the mobs.
I like it how it is.

Not at all.
I genuinely think the game would be a lot less interesting if crafting was OP and you could simply craft up a min/max suit and faceroll the mobs.
I like it how it is.
Nobody but you said anything about being able to "faceroll" mobs lol, you are intentionally going to extremes to try and cover for a horrible system aka armor weight in its current form. Even if the armor weight system was made less restrictive, the game is still old school tough and will keep right on being that way regardless of if you can wear more armor or not. You are not going to be some type of god simply because you can wear even a full set of armor. But a less punishing and restrictive armor weight system would allow tanks to tank a little better, solo players to survive a little better, and everyone not to have to constantly get a reward they have to yet again put in the bank because our characters in this game must evidently be such a pathetic wimps they cannot possibly wear a little more armor....even if its just leather. Games like this should be all about combat, exploration, doing quests, going into dungeons, etc. Those are fun things to do. Constantly playing the "armor weight game" is not.

Back