What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

BETA TEST September 14th; what's new?

Undone

Codemaster
Stormhaven Studios
Our next stress tests are scheduled for:
Wed. September 14th @ 8pm central
(Thurs. September 15th @ 1am UTC)
The developers will meet in Discord and test for approximately one hour. However, the servers will remain open for roughly 4 hours. The most up-to-date client can be retrieved via the patcher found on your account page.

What's new?
This week was spent working on a few lingering issues in prep for the open beta weekend. We have added tool visuals for harvesting, completely revamped the Northreach dungeons, and added a little flavor to large creatures in the form of some camera shake. A summary of the upcoming crafting changes can also be found below which we would love to hear your feedback on. We have more armor coming from the art team, and a few new zones just around the corner. Thanks for testing!

We are seeking focused feedback on these items this week:
  • Northreach dungeon: both difficulty and pacing.
  • Proposed crafting changes - thoughts?
REMINDER: the servers will be open for 4hrs Wednesday evening. The servers will open again on Friday @ 12pm central and close on Tuesday at 12pm central. See events in Discord for timezone translations.

Bug fixes / improvements:
  • Tech
    • Fixed: when an Ashen creature spawns your client should automatically target it if you were just targeting the npc that spawned it.
    • Improved: humanoid locomotion animation speeds now vary slightly with character size. Larger characters will play their movement animations slightly slower, while smaller characters will play them slightly faster. This has NO impact on actual movement speed.
    • Fixed: some animation events were not properly firing which meant some audio queues were not triggering - especially for bears.
    • Fixed: right clicking an equipment item in your bag that has two possible target slots (bracers, shoulders, etc) will now result in the item being equipped to the empty slot if one is present, otherwise it will replace the first slot.
    • Adjusted: adjusted some logic around the show/hide buttons in your equipment panel. This required some data to change so your previous settings of show/hide for the helm and ember stone will need to be reselected.
    • Added: tech to support separate indoor and outdoor call for help & sensor profiles. This gives us a bit more control over the dungeon experience.
    • Fixed: Visual effects for a number of lasting effects (confusion, stun, daze, webbed) should now last the duration of the buff/debuff.
    • Adjusted: Reduced memory overhead on login/selection/creation scene.
    • Adjusted: slightly increasing the volume of footstep and UI audio.
  • Environment / Art
    • Misc. environmental bug fixes in Dryfoot & Northreach.
    • Fixed: Meadowlands' road signs should now say stuff.
    • Fixed: skinning of bear armor shoulders
  • UI:
    • Added: armor weight panel now has a tooltip.
    • Added: egress points now have a tooltip saying that they will return you to the dungeon start.
  • Quests:
    • Misc. grammatical fixes.
    • Adjusting how discovery quest objectives are handled. Let us know if any funny business occurs here. We are still trying to track down the cause of some discovery objectives not progressing.
  • Design:
    • Added: A number of NPC abilities now have application VFX (confusion, stun, daze, webbed). More to come in the future.
    • Added: Effect applicators such as those from the Ember Rings and environmental webbings now have associated VFX.
    • Greatly increased grub bat ear drop rate.
    • Increased range on Quillback Spines ability
    • Lumberjacks in Redshore are more plentiful
    • Adjusted the size of some rare mobs such as Misha.
New stuff:
Central Veins North 2.0
The dungeon accessed via Northreach has been completely revamped. The focus of this redesign is as follows:
  • Simplifying the dungeon layout.
  • More strategic placement of Ember Rings and egress points.
  • More distinguishable "wings" of the dungeon by level, mob types, rare spawns, and props.
  • Ember Drift improvements
    • Reducing size and complexity.
    • Increasing challenge and mob diversity
    • Adding unique characteristics to these areas that add extra challenge.
  • Utilization of new Indoor sensors and call for help tech (this also applies to the dungeon accessed via Newhaven Valley)
    • Some mobs (notably spiders and humanoids) sensor ranges have been reduced within the veins.
    • Some mobs (notably spiders and humanoids) call for help ranges have been reduced within the veins.
(note that if you had logged out inside of the northern section of CV your character will now be located in Northreach; this only applies to two of you!)

Harvesting Tool Visuals
For too long you harvested plants, logs, ore, and carcasses with invisible tools. This ends now! This week you can finally stop looking like a fool and start looking like a real adventurer!
GiZ3W4X.png

Different tools of the same type do not currently have different visuals, but this may be something we can accommodate in the future. Mounting things in your hand is always a huge pain in the neck so please let me know if something goes nuts.

Camera Shake
This week we are adding a new system that should make large creatures feel a bit larger. It involves slightly shaking the camera when the creature walks or falls to the ground. Ideally this effect will be subtle enough to not be an annoyance - it is currently enabled for bear roars and ridgebacks. Please let us know if this causes any issues!

Augment System Improvements
Weapon & Armor augment tech got some love this week. Previously augments were only able to provide a single "bonus"; now they can now provide multiple bonuses. We have also finalized the tech for how armor augments expire. Here is a quick rundown of what to expect when augments become available (hopefully with the next big crafting update):
  • Augmenting an item will bind that item to you.
  • Augments can be replaced by other augments if you so desire.
  • Augments cannot be removed once applied.
  • Some augments may come with positive and negative stats.
  • Weapon Augments
    • Can provide DiceMod, Damage%, Hit, Penetration, and Flanking.
    • Have a fixed expiration based on the number of hits done with that specific weapon.
    • Stat bonuses from weapon augments do NOT show on your stats sheet as they only apply when that weapon is used for damage.
  • Armor Augments
    • Can provide any regular stat (regen, movement, resilience, etc).
    • Have a fixed expiration based on the time your character has spent in combat (not combat stance, but active combat).
    • Stats bonuses from armor augments WILL show on your stats sheet.

Croc Armor
Crocodile armor has been delivered from the art team and has made its way into the project. It is not yet available to players but should be in the near future via recipes and/or drops.
MJwtIjk.png

Raven
The art team just delivered their latest creation and we hope to have it in the game soon!
ZzkGKeO.png

Works in progress:
To see a full list of what is currently in progress head on over to this thread. I will do my best to update this list on a weekly basis and highlight the differences from the previous week with bold font. Below I will highlight some of the upcoming changes in more detail.

Crafting Profession Revamp (timeline: 1-2 weeks)
The more we discussed crafting specs and the mechanics behind them, the more we realized that a specialization was not the right direction to go. Our adventuring system works great due to the shared experience between the base & spec. With crafting however, this design does not quite work as there are some odd edge cases with experience that would force us to "change the rules". Because of this, we are going to simplify things by splitting the crafting professions into 8 individual professions.
  • Light Weaponsmith (1h weapons, small/medium shields, and Banners)
  • Heavy Weaponsmith (2h weapons, heavy shields)
  • Bowyer (ranged weapons & ammo)
  • Tailor (inner armor)
  • Outfitter (medium armors such as leather)
  • Armorsmith (heavy armors such as metal)
  • Provisioner (food/drink, potions, and other consumables)
  • Tinker (tools, jewelry, belts)
Recipes will now be split into "base" and "imbued" variants. Base recipes will be purchasable from merchants but do not allow for the usage of flux. Imbued recipes will be found throughout the world (acquired via quest or drops) and require a flux component.

New Dungeon (2-3 weeks)
@Charlizd has been hard at work building a new dungeon. There is still a lot of work left to do before it is game ready but we wanted to give you a quick preview. The scale of this thing is massive which means we will be opening it up one chunk at a time. The location of this dungeon is not yet determined - but it will likely end up below Redshore.
SiYJ7B6.jpg

knZ3cta.jpg

Mob Leashing Updates (timeline: 1-2 weeks)
As it currently stands every mob has a "soft leash" distance. Outside of this distance if a mob is in the idle or wandering state they will elect to return to their point of origin before resuming their idle/wander. Implementing a "hard leash" or a "reset" state for an NPC is something we are considering, but it has a few extra complications. Some of which are for those who like to kite and issues with different zones/regions having different average leash distances for NPCs. In fact, we already implemented this tech, but it is currently disabled because it causes some funny business in a number of the above described scenarios.

Known Issues:
  • Skydome occasionally gets "stuck". When this happens you should notice that the clouds stop animating. When this occurs change your quality setting to something else, then back and it should "reset" the skybox.
  • Loot roll occasionally does not trigger leaving the loot open to anyone. We are currently investigating.
  • After resizing your game client some of the buttons in the upper right may no longer be clickable.
  • Terrain textures have a bit too much tiling. This will be resolved shortly.
  • Characters can get stuck in any looping animation if they do not properly complete. This is most noticeable for strikers using a bow.
  • Not all ember rings and/or POIs are proper map discoveries. This is especially true in Dryfoot, Dryfoot Stronghold, and Redshore. Discoveries and map uncovering is a WIP and will be revisited soon.
  • Deconstructing crafted items returns junk 100% of the time.
  • cannot roll on loot while unconscious
  • not all clothing/armor has visuals
  • Dragging a group-nameplate in the group window will set the wrong pivot point for the group window and the whole thing will drag a bit weird.
  • typing chat text may occasionally become invisible. unfocus your chat window and trying again a few times typically resolves this.
  • Sometimes when you respawn you don't end up at the proper Ember Ring --> if this happens please report the position where you died via the "/report" command or "/debugposition" (if using debugposition you'll need to paste the value here)
  • MacOS:
    • Zooming the camera while holding the right mouse button can cause your chat window to scroll. This is not intended behavior.
    • At some camera angles the sun may go dark. This should not happen frequently but is readily reproducible at some locations. Investigating a fix.

Last edited:
Hot fixes for the weekend:
  • Minor code changes attempting to fix issues where Loot Rolls are not triggered
  • Exile Sentries reverted to use long range sensors
  • Fixed: bug where players would sometimes show as offline and could not be invited/etc.
  • Fixed: bug where some discovery quest objectives were not triggering properly.
  • Added: merchants to meadowlands.
  • Added: Scale armor visuals
  • Fixed: some random server exceptions
Here is the new Scale Armor set that some of you likely already have!
cnFtXSP.png

Hawt
1. The new Raven mob is hawt. Ravenrock makes more sense. :)
2. The new armor types are secksay!
3. RIght-clicking bracers will fill the empty slot. Win.
4. Holding our crafting tools? YAS!
5. Call for help adjustments/fixes. Thank you.
6. The new Dungeon sounds exciting

Nawt (as much)
As far as the new crafting professions, I think most of the break-out makes a lot of sense - but wanted to throw out some ideas…
  • Light Weaponsmith (1h weapons, small/medium shields, and Banners)
  • Heavy Weaponsmith (2h metal weapons - except daggers & thrown - and metal shields)
  • Bowyer Carpenter/Woodworker (ranged weapons & ammo, staves, & wooden hammers/clubs & wooden shields)
  • Tailor (inner armor, banners)
  • Outfitter Leatherworker (medium armors and belts made of leather)
  • Armorsmith (heavy armors made of metal)
  • Provisioner (food/drink, potions, and other consumables)
  • Tinker (tools, jewelry, daggers, thrown weapons, belts)
Weaponsmith implies metal, but not necessarily small items like daggers or thrown weapons - so I removed those and put them with Tinkerer (more on that, below).

If bowyer was instead a carpenter or woodworker, they could pick up some wooden weapons other than bows like staves, shields, hammers/clubs and, obviously, the shafts for some metal weapons (and banners).

Seemed like the Tailor was missing love, so moved banners there…being that the most important cloth part is, well, cloth. Later, perhaps tailors could make light armor for other slots, like a bandana/hood for the head, a robe for the body, as well as capes and maybe gathering bag upgrades. Isn’t light/cloth armor in the game? I got some gloves the other day…looked like cloth to me.

Leatherworking makes the most sense for belts, but obviously continues to supply straps of leather for armor and weapon smiths. They could also, eventually, supply upgrades for the main bag (and/or quick slots).

Armorsmith and Provisioner I left alone. :)

The Tinker looked like it needed love, so I thought it might make sense to give them both thrown and small metal weapons, like daggers. Make them more “tricksy” of a crafting class (I’m picturing a thief holding gems w/ tools, thrown weapons, and daggers, but I don’t personally see them making belts).

As far as the new crafting professions...

I like a lot of these, the tinkerer doing daggers is neat and I like how it flavors them a bit more. Makes me want to push tools back towards provisioner for better balance, might play around with that and see how it feels.

Feedback on the Northreach dungeon:
I had the chance to experience the dungeon last Friday. We entered from the entrance inside the Exile camp. The part until the (first) ember ring, ignoring the one directly at the entrance, felt good-paced and not repetitive. After that point, we came across the second and third time the same cave layout. This created confusion on my side, did we come already through here?
Further, I think the length of the dungeon is too extensive for my taste.

Feedback on the proposed crafting changes:
I do like the proposed distribution of @Battlestorm.

Regarding the split of based and imbued recipes, I do have mixed feelings. First, @Undone why do you need a crafter life even harder? :p Like there are different examples out there of how this can be handled:
Lotro (Lord of the Rings Online)
- There you can find one-time use recipes to craft power full items (the lovely purple stuff)
- They are (to my limited knowledge) random drops, this has the benefit that not a single spot is full-time camped for a specific recipe
- This will increase player interaction due to the fact that you need a crafter with a high enough skill

SWToR (Star Wars The old Republic)
- you can learn improved Version of recipes by dismantling crafted items ( gives further purpose to dismantle besides getting more mats)
- encourage players to repetitively craft recipes to dismantle items -> higher consumption of mats -> more (potential) trading
- there are multiple recipes of a base version each with a specific twist ( more hit/crit dmg/ crit % ... )

Wow (Classic) (World of Warcraft)
- no "improved" versions of recipes
- some rare drop recipes (people became so sort of server celebrities if they had a highly thought after recipe -> social interaction)
- those recipes were either dungeon/raid drops or world randoms (got farmed extensively)
- questlines to get your crafting specialization

I do see benefits in each of the listed examples. I personally enjoyed the crafting in SWToR very much. If you managed to learn highly through after item (module) you become quickly populated (similar to what happened in WoW). Also, the system gives more meaning to all the items crafted while leveling your profession. Maybe go even further, in a way what ESO online does, learn skins/recipes from dismantling items.

The more I think about the split the more I do like it. But the question is how to acquire the imbued recipes. Drops from mobs I do consider problematic because this can lead to players overrunning an area in order to quickly acquire a recipe.
Questlines to acquire recipes feel cool especially when it is part of your professional progress (trainee, crafter, master, <random escalating title>).

I'm looking forward to what you are preparing for us. :D

I do like the proposed distribution of @Battlestorm.
Thanks. Just some ideas to help out!

Regarding the split of based and imbued recipes, I do have mixed feelings. First, @Undone why do you need a crafter life even harder? :p Like there are different examples out there of how this can be handled:
I’m not opposed to a little challenge - keeping it level and fair is very difficult to do. Right now, to keep farming the same spots “down”, rare mobs are sort of randomly moved around. Perhaps it would make sense to do this with mobs if they were to also drop recipes.

Lotro (Lord of the Rings Online)
- There you can find one-time use recipes to craft power full items (the lovely purple stuff)
- They are (to my limited knowledge) random drops, this has the benefit that not a single spot is full-time camped for a specific recipe
- This will increase player interaction due to the fact that you need a crafter with a high enough skill
I have to admit it, I don’t really like one-time learn/use recipes. Unfortunately, don’t they all work that way? You learn from a book/document and it VANISHES! I’d rather have to find and pay a trainer, no magic vanishing papers. The only other solution is to maintain a recipe book (the paper doesn’t vanish, you just decide to keep it).

SWToR (Star Wars The old Republic)
- you can learn improved Version of recipes by dismantling crafted items ( gives further purpose to dismantle besides getting more mats)
- encourage players to repetitively craft recipes to dismantle items -> higher consumption of mats -> more (potential) trading
- there are multiple recipes of a base version each with a specific twist ( more hit/crit dmg/ crit % ... )
I do like the idea of experimentation, but not from items a player makes themselves…from dropped items. Perhaps dropped items (those that cannot be crafted) could be studied for a chance at a new upgrade recipe. Otherwise, other interesting objects could be dropped from mobs or found in treasure chests, etc. like a unique broken hammer with some descriptive lore like, “Although broken, this item has been kept in good condition. Something special about its shape draws your attention.” Maybe just the axe blade or handle/hilt could be dropped with a similar description. Dismantling, studying, or experimenting with it could reveal a new recipe/design. Lastly, another player could craft an item with a special bonus and, if dismantled/studied/experimented on, it would have a chance of providing that recipe to the player.

Wow (Classic) (World of Warcraft)
- no "improved" versions of recipes
- some rare drop recipes (people became so sort of server celebrities if they had a highly thought after recipe -> social interaction)
- those recipes were either dungeon/raid drops or world randoms (got farmed extensively)
- questlines to get your crafting specialization
Having to grind out the same boss for a specific drop is a little dull. I get the idea seems sound, but that has always been discouraging for me - but it does put digital butts in dungeons over-and-over again. I don’t mind the quest-line reward option though, I think that’s a fair option.

I do see benefits in each of the listed examples. I personally enjoyed the crafting in SWToR very much. If you managed to learn highly through after item (module) you become quickly populated (similar to what happened in WoW). Also, the system gives more meaning to all the items crafted while leveling your profession. Maybe go even further, in a way what ESO online does, learn skins/recipes from dismantling items.
ESO’s learning system, with its increased timers for each new bonus learned, always seemed disconnected to me. I was a cold time sync mechanic that, alone, wouldn’t have kept me playing.

The more I think about the split the more I do like it. But the question is how to acquire the imbued recipes. Drops from mobs I do consider problematic because this can lead to players overrunning an area in order to quickly acquire a recipe.
Questlines to acquire recipes feel cool especially when it is part of your professional progress (trainee, crafter, master, <random escalating title>).
Perhaps there’s room for it all? Maybe enhanced recipes could simply be pages with notes scrawled on them, purchased from special NPCs for specific trade items. These, along with standard recipe pages, could be placed into a theoretical recipe book (instead of ”consumed”). The book need-not be readable, just alluded to in the chat log. Enhanced recipes (or exsquisite “parts” to deconstruct) could be randomly dropped, gotten as quest-line rewards, found in random treasure chests, or deconstructed from other players’ enhanced creations. No complicated or trim-gated experimentation needed (at first, at least), just use the same deconstruct button for a chance to unlock the enhanced recipe.

I'm looking forward to what you are preparing for us. :D
Me too!

Last edited:
My Intention was in the first place to write down, the different approaches I experienced during my time playing MMORPGs.

I do agree the one-time use recipes don't really make sense from a "lore" perspective. Also, I agree with you on the ESO crafting system, which is just an artificial delaying and keeping players to log in in order to restart the next "research". (Buy2-/Free2play I hear you calling! -> Optimizing on MAUs -.- (MAU == Monthly Active Users))

My personal favorite is some kind of research, for multiple reasons:
- if you do things over and over you become better and are able to create an improved version ( real life), so maybe just a chance to learn an improved version by crafting
-> Downside RNG can be not nice to you, so there should be an increasing chance there is more you craft one recipe. (DB Memory usage explodes :eek:)
- it makes the leveling of a profession more enjoyable, sure you are most likely interested in "research" higher-level recipes
- it will prolong the demand for materials of each tier besides the mats used for consumables

The idea of finding special Items which start a quest chain to get a special recipe is awesome and feels rewarding ( I look at you Quel'Serrar).

I'm excited. :)

Last edited:
My Intention was in the first place to write down, the different approaches I experienced during my time playing MMORPGs.
Agreed, and the more experiences the better. Don't let me sound like I was being negative, I personally appreciate the diverse perspective!

I do agree the one-time use recipes don't really make sense from a "lore" perspective. Also, I agree with you on the ESO crafting system, which is just an artificial delaying and keeping players to log in in order to restart the next "research". (Buy2-/Free2play I hear you calling! -> Optimizing on MAUs -.- (MAU == Monthly Active Users))
True, it works well with with the "pay money to speed up" monetization strategy. Gross.

My personal favorite is some kind of research, for multiple reasons:
- if you do things over and over you become better and are able to create an improved version ( real life), so maybe just a chance to learn an improved version by crafting
Okay, yes. That makes sense. I agree that each item crafted could have a % chance to allow a player to learn a new enhancement. I would obviously still gate some enhancements so that not ALL of them could be learned this way. That way it provides venues to explore, do quests, or hunt for a mob to get the other enhancements.

-> Downside RNG can be not nice to you, so there should be an increasing chance there is more you craft one recipe. (DB Memory usage explodes :eek:)
True, RNG might suck...but to help there should be overlap in the way enhancements can be learned. Anything you can learn through crafting (%chance) could also still be found in the world, however, not everything found in the world could be learned by just crafting one item over and over again.

The idea of finding special Items which start a quest chain to get a special recipe is awesome and feels rewarding.
That would be wild. Items that players are unable to research and instead provide a quest (upon pick-up, cannot be sold, can be destroyed, etc.) that lead to a new enhancement recipe. Love that.

I was thinking that it may make sense to tie research directly into Deconstruction (at least at first) only to make it easier to implement. Having the Deconstruct button just add a % chance to provide a new enhancement recipe - then a bonus to the % chance of a specific enhancement if the item being deconstructed was not made by you and already has an enhancement. I'd also increase the bonus (or make it a guarantee) for special drops, depending on the drop itself.

Good stuff.

Back