What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

FPS so low it's unplayable

xDrac

Since the very first moment I logged into the game, my FPS is so ridiculously low (has to be like 5-10 fps) that the game is literally unplayable. I tried adjusting all the settings and just setting it all to the lowest possible but it literally doesnt change anything. Sometimes it's buttery smooth for about 5-10 seconds and then it starts jerking again. I honestly cannot imagine it's my computer being this bad.

i7-4790 CPU
GTX 980
16GB RAM

Is this normal?

Since the very first moment I logged into the game, my FPS is so ridiculously low (has to be like 5-10 fps) that the game is literally unplayable. I tried adjusting all the settings and just setting it all to the lowest possible but it literally doesnt change anything. Sometimes it's buttery smooth for about 5-10 seconds and then it starts jerking again. I honestly cannot imagine it's my computer being this bad.

i7-4790 CPU
GTX 980
16GB RAM

Is this normal?
980 is going to struggle a bit more than the 10xx series of cards due to our heavy compute shader usage. However, you should be able to play the game by making sure these settings are what you are using:
  • 1080p resolution --> running higher than this is going to be expensive
  • shadows set to 0%, any more than that and you are still paying some shadow cost
  • vegetation density to very low
  • fps limiter to 30fps
  • cloud quality very low
  • quality = potato
  • disable reflections
  • anti aliasing to off
It may also clear up considerably moving up the road to get away from the large density of new folks. But if you are still struggling you can drop your resolution scale, this will render the game at a lower resolution and then upscale it to your monitor's resolution -> so you will notice a visual quality drop but it should provide better performance.

980 is going to struggle a bit more than the 10xx series of cards due to our heavy compute shader usage. However, you should be able to play the game by making sure these settings are what you are using:
  • 1080p resolution --> running higher than this is going to be expensive
  • shadows set to 0%, any more than that and you are still paying some shadow cost
  • vegetation density to very low
  • fps limiter to 30fps
  • cloud quality very low
  • quality = potato
  • disable reflections
  • anti aliasing to off
It may also clear up considerably moving up the road to get away from the large density of new folks. But if you are still struggling you can drop your resolution scale, this will render the game at a lower resolution and then upscale it to your monitor's resolution -> so you will notice a visual quality drop but it should provide better performance.
I tried giving these a shot and it sadly doesn't make a noticable difference. I have the game installed on an SSD if it makes any difference. Bummed because I would like to give the game a fair chance and test it out.

i can imagine a 980 is to weak, i play with 2070 super and play on performant and with all view distances reduced like Elloa did in her Beta Tips Video.
I can also imagine RAM is important, but idk for sure. 16gb is good, but more is allways better :D

I have tested the game on a 970 and while performance was not great, the game was reasonable. I’ll do some more profiling to see what we can improve.

I have to agree. Game is so laggy, it’s unplayable. I have a 5k MAC and my husband has a gaming pc we just purchased last year and while mine is more laggy than his… both struggle. We are still trying to play it through the lag.

I have to agree. Game is so laggy, it’s unplayable. I have a 5k MAC and my husband has a gaming pc we just purchased last year and while mine is more laggy than his… both struggle. We are still trying to play it through the lag.
If on Mac you absolutely gotta lower the game resolution to 1080p. Retina display sizes will just drag down performance greatly.

Back