What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Worried about the Linux client.

Hi, I thought I'd chime in on my experience on Linux as well.

Love it or hate it Lutris allows itself to be used as a driver/feature management tool which is hugely beneficial.

Code:
AMD 8320 FX (@ 3Ghz)
Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (4GB Vram)
32GB Ram

Linux (arch linux 6.0.2-arch1-1)
KDE Plasma 5.26.1
systemd 251.6.1
nvidia 520.56.06-4
vulkan-icd-loader 1.3.226-1
lutris 0.5.11-1    

Nvidia-settings
  PowerMizer set to Prefer Maximum Performance

Lutris (if something not listed then blank or default)
Runner options (Show advanced options ON)
  Wine Version lutris-GE-Proton7-33-x86_64
  Use system winetricks OFF
  Enable DXVK ON
  DXVK version v1.10.3
  Enable VKD3D ON
  VKD3D version v2.6
  Enable D3D Extras ON
  D3D Extras version v2
  Enable DXVK-NVAPI / DLSS ON
  DXVK-NVAPI version v0.5.4
  Enable dgvoodoo 2 OFF
  Enable Esync ON (*1)
  Enable Fsync OFF (*1)
  Enable AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) OFF (*2)
  Enable BattlEye Anti-Cheat OFF (*2)
  Enable Easy Anti-Cheat OFF (*2)
  Windowed (virtual desktop) OFF
  Mouse Warp Override Enabled
  Output debugging info Disabled
  Create a sandbox for Wine folders ON

System options
  Disable Lutris Runtime OFF
  Prefer system libraries ON
  Restrict number of cores used OFF
  Disable desktop effects ON
  Disable screen saver ON
  Vulkan ICD loader NVIDIA Proprietary
  Environment variables 
    DXVK_ASYNC 1 
    DXVK_HUD fps,memory,gpuload,compiler
    DXVK_LOG_LEVEL none
    __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE true (*3)
    __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH /path/to/folder (*3)
    __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP true

In game
  Resolution 1920x1080 @ 60hz (*4)
  Anti-Aliasing None
  Vegetation Density Very Low
  FPS Limiter None
  Resolution Scale 50% (*4)
  Full Screen ON
  Grass Shadows OFF
  Reflections OFF
  Contact Shadows OFF
  Quality Potato
  Clouds Very Low
  Volumetrics Low
  Humanoid Textures Low
  View Distance 0%
  Shadow Distance 0%
  Vegetation Distance 100%
  Extra Tree Distance 100m

Observations
Game appears to be very reliant on video card performance
Character Select at 50-60 FPS with a long black screen pause at start up
Character Creation 60-70 FPS
While in game, the FPS varies between 20-30 FPS. I've seen as low as 19 and as high as 33 depending on whats going on in the area around the starting area Drifters Landing.
GPU Utilization varies but often seen at 100%
CPU Utilization varies 35-50% rarely over 50%
Initial Ram usage about 5-6 GB
Vram usage about 3.4 GB (the GPU I have has 4GB avail)

*1 From my understanding only one of these will work even if both are turned ON. FSync needs support from Kernel so if you are running an old kernel or LTS kernel then it might not be supported at all. An internet search reveals lots of information regarding the details of each. I have tried both. Both ON, both OFF, one on over the other and the performance is the same for me regardless.

*2 I have a habbit of disabling things that aren't supported/necessary on the software end and/or my end.

*3 Unless you want to change the directory, I'm not sure if this varible is needed. I believe once DXVK is enabled, a shader folder is created in the launch directory. I could be wrong !

*4 Changing resolutions in game seems to be upscaling or downscaling. Actual resolution on the monitor never changes. I see no observable performance impact 1280x720 vs 1920x1080 with Resolution Scale at 50%. However there is a massive difference between 720p and 1080p when at 100% Resolution Scale. All other setings the same, setting game to 1920x1080 and 100% Resolution Scale gives me 10-20 FPS. Setting the game resolution to 1280x720 gives me 20-30 FPS at 50% and 100% Resolution Scale.

I know I'm using a graphics card lower than the "Minimum Recomended". But ... it's not that far behind is it? Sad face I know it is but I though I'd try anyways. Either way there doesn't appear to be enough wiggle room in the form of options to accomodate lower end setups at this time. Also definitely recomend a video card with more than 4GB of vram.

I am using Arch Linux. I don't use Lutris, PlayonLinux, Steam or any launcher except a small custom script.

Basically you need wine and dxvk to get the game running on linux.

I have found that using the vanilla wine or valve proton causes mouse problems. The solution is to use one of the Glorious Eggroll builds; probably because he includes a patch for "Raw input mouse support". So if you're choosing a wine version, always pick one that has "ge" in it like proton-ge-custom or wine-ge-custom. https://github.com/GloriousEggroll

On Arch there is a non-official package in the Arch User Repository called wine-ge-custom that is maintained by a guy named loathingkernel. If you use the AUR it takes a few minutes to compile, or he has pre-compiled packages on github: https://github.com/loathingKernel/PKGBUILDs/releases/tag/packages

I have DXVK-bin installed from the AUR and I've run the setup on my wineprefix.

If you're not on Arch (or an Arch based distro) there may be repositories for your package manager for those packages.

This is the script that I use to start EA:
Code:
#! /usr/bin/bash

PREFIX="/home/games/ea"
DIRECTORY="/drive_c/Program Files/Embers Adrift/"
EXE="Embers Adrift Launcher.exe"
BIN="/usr/bin/wine"
PASSWORD="a09sdf09sd9f90d"
PARAM=""

export WINEDEBUG=-all
export DXVK_HUD=fps
export WINEPREFIX=${PREFIX}
export WINEFSYNC=1
export DXVK_FRAME_RATE=45

#########################################################

wl-copy ${PASSWORD}
cd "${PREFIX}${DIRECTORY}"
${BIN} "${PREFIX}${DIRECTORY}${EXE}" ${PARAM}

I run it from a custom .desktop file. I have a little convenience to copy my password to the clipboard when it runs. I use the wayland display manager, so wl-copy. Different one for X. You can see that I use the DXVK frame limiter instead of the in game one, that I use the DXVK fps meter and that I use FSYNC.

I do it this way instead of Lutris to keep everything simple, under my control and up to date using my distro's package manager. But most people prefer a UI to a bash script.

Lutris does a great job, and you don't have to figure out how to do it all manually. Lutris has a UI for choosing and downloading the proper GE builds, it downloads and installs dxvk, it sets environment variables, manages prefixes, and create .desktop files. It has a somewhat usable user interface.

So what distro are you on and we can figure out what you need to do to get Lutris running.

On manjaro little beelink machine. AMD integrated graphics nothing fancy.
Just used wine and winetricks. Added fonts.
Used Imaginary Pie's in game settings - Potato settings gotta love the dev's sense of humor.
Even though I am a potatoe game is running good.
Obviously the dev's will eventually make tweeks to improve performance.
I played EQ in 99 and it has the same feel to it.
Little better this time - not on a 36k baud modem. :)

Any other Linux users having their GPUs peg out at 100% on the main menu? I've tried forcing my frame rate with DXVK_FRAME_RATE and turned all settings to their lowest. Using GE Proton through Lutris. My GPU is a 1080. I'm really hesitant to play the game until I can get the temps under control because I really can't afford another card if this one melts.

Any other Linux users having their GPUs peg out at 100% on the main menu? I've tried forcing my frame rate with DXVK_FRAME_RATE and turned all settings to their lowest. Using GE Proton through Lutris. My GPU is a 1080. I'm really hesitant to play the game until I can get the temps under control because I really can't afford another card if this one melts.
Running your card at 100% is not going to hurt anything unless you have it overclocked with insufficient cooling. There is a frame rate limiter in the graphics options as well. And if you are running at resolutions higher than 1080p you can adjust your volumetric quality & resolution scale to ease up on the GPU usage.

Running your card at 100% is not going to hurt anything unless you have it overclocked with insufficient cooling. There is a frame rate limiter in the graphics options as well. And if you are running at resolutions higher than 1080p you can adjust your volumetric quality & resolution scale to ease up on the GPU usage.
Yeah I'm just insanely paranoid. But it's all good either way. The load drops to ~60-70% once I'm in-game. Glad I could finally get around to playing. Meant to play around launch but didn't have time. Game runs great in Lutris. Didn't have any hiccups at all tonight.

Hi folks! Just wanted to let you know that I just put out an experimental native Linux client here. Please share your experience with it and how it runs compared to the efforts you've put in here.

I'll try to test it tomorrow or at the weekend on my notebook with Linux.

Edit: I report here after trying.

Back