What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Territorial Play Style

vonnegut

I generally will stay off of forums for the majority of the games I have played from UO until now. It is not something I find entertaining, but I have to ask this question to the community of this game. Before I ask the question let me lay out some reminders of what this game is. One server, one map, one instance for everything and everyone. As the rules state, EA does not recognize camps. They also do not give you your own zone to run around with your own group of 6 where no other players can be near you. But unfortunately now, on two occasions, I have tried to get a simple task done and noticed a group clearing an area I need to get into. I feel crappy if I just follow and do nothing so I just wait till the group has engaged the mob and assist. And I even let them know that from the jump. Then these groups get mad and tell me I am trying to KS them. So I state my case, I am just trying to press through to finish a quest or see an area.

Tonight, I got "go away, I don't trust you." So I asked "what about what I am doing do you not trust?" You asked me to not attack (I am trying to help) so I stop attacking. I sit a good distance from your group and only move up once you have cleared an area. I stay to my business and do nothing to make them think I am trying to interrupt theirs (I am literally sitting 20 m behind there group, SITTING). So what you might ask was the thing this player or group did not trust.... They were worried I was going to train them. That is what they said. I tried to politely work this out with one of their group members and told them verbatim, "I am just here to see the area and I will not do anything to bother you." That is when the "I don't Trust you" comment came out. And then after explaining to them why it would not be a good idea for me to train them, they put me on ignore. Odd.

So here is my question. What makes you players, that are like this, think you own the game zones? One zone, one map, one area to rule them all. I cannot help it if your group is full and you are clearing something I have been trying to get to. And for my second question...and this is really a head scratcher....Why would I want to train your group in an area of 3 ups that would destroy me by myself? What is the gain there. If I could form a group every single time I was on to do my bidding I guess you could make the case that I need to form my own groups. Unfortunately the population does not lend itself to this concept ..yet. But if I see you clearing an area I want or need to go into, for whatever reason, why do you care if I am sitting on my butt behind you or not? I just don't see the benefit of me trying to remove your group from an area that requires a group to keep clear by "training" you like I am some kind of 1999 EQ monk training the efreeti room so I can get my golden boots camp. You being gone means I would be gone. Is this some type of projection of something players in this game would do? Is this kind of game play happening in the upper levels? Are we really fighting and "training" people to get the phat lewtz still?

And I say all of this in fairness, if the shoe doesn't fit don't wear it.

I generally will stay off of forums for the majority of the games I have played from UO until now. It is not something I find entertaining, but I have to ask this question to the community of this game. Before I ask the question let me lay out some reminders of what this game is. One server, one map, one instance for everything and everyone. As the rules state, EA does not recognize camps. They also do not give you your own zone to run around with your own group of 6 where no other players can be near you. But unfortunately now, on two occasions, I have tried to get a simple task done and noticed a group clearing an area I need to get into. I feel crappy if I just follow and do nothing so I just wait till the group has engaged the mob and assist. And I even let them know that from the jump. Then these groups get mad and tell me I am trying to KS them. So I state my case, I am just trying to press through to finish a quest or see an area.

Tonight, I got "go away, I don't trust you." So I asked "what about what I am doing do you not trust?" You asked me to not attack (I am trying to help) so I stop attacking. I sit a good distance from your group and only move up once you have cleared an area. I stay to my business and do nothing to make them think I am trying to interrupt theirs (I am literally sitting 20 m behind there group, SITTING). So what you might ask was the thing this player or group did not trust.... They were worried I was going to train them. That is what they said. I tried to politely work this out with one of their group members and told them verbatim, "I am just here to see the area and I will not do anything to bother you." That is when the "I don't Trust you" comment came out. And then after explaining to them why it would not be a good idea for me to train them, they put me on ignore. Odd.

So here is my question. What makes you players, that are like this, think you own the game zones? One zone, one map, one area to rule them all. I cannot help it if your group is full and you are clearing something I have been trying to get to. And for my second question...and this is really a head scratcher....Why would I want to train your group in an area of 3 ups that would destroy me by myself? What is the gain there. If I could form a group every single time I was on to do my bidding I guess you could make the case that I need to form my own groups. Unfortunately the population does not lend itself to this concept ..yet. But if I see you clearing an area I want or need to go into, for whatever reason, why do you care if I am sitting on my butt behind you or not? I just don't see the benefit of me trying to remove your group from an area that requires a group to keep clear by "training" you like I am some kind of 1999 EQ monk training the efreeti room so I can get my golden boots camp. You being gone means I would be gone. Is this some type of projection of something players in this game would do? Is this kind of game play happening in the upper levels? Are we really fighting and "training" people to get the phat lewtz still?

And I say all of this in fairness, if the shoe doesn't fit don't wear it.
This is a misrepresentation of what occurred. I was in the group last night that you state you were following. On several occasions the party stated that you aggro’d mind into our area. We had a tight formation and a single person pulling so it was rather easy to see. One or both of your toons weee positioned directly next to our group. When told you would not receive kill experience for assisting us we got a rude response. When we notified that you pulled mobs into our proximity we got a rude response. You spammed /tell to multiple members to argue. We don’t own the area. You can explore to your hearts desire. But if your intention is to piggy back a group to achieve a destination or quest objective perhaps if you informed them of your intentions you would be met with less hostility. From my perspective your objective was to harass our group.

This is a misrepresentation of what occurred. I was in the group last night that you state you were following. On several occasions the party stated that you aggro’d mind into our area. We had a tight formation and a single person pulling so it was rather easy to see. One or both of your toons weee positioned directly next to our group. When told you would not receive kill experience for assisting us we got a rude response. When we notified that you pulled mobs into our proximity we got a rude response. You spammed /tell to multiple members to argue. We don’t own the area. You can explore to your hearts desire. But if your intention is to piggy back a group to achieve a destination or quest objective perhaps if you informed them of your intentions you would be met with less hostility. From my perspective your objective was to harass our gro
Not a misrepresentation at all. You guys were rude and exclusionary. And I did say it in chat before you guys took up the hill by the farm in the exile camp "we are just following and seemingly heading to the same destination." At no time did we pull anything on to you as you say. Nor did any of your players die or me take any damage (it only really slowed down where we stopped assisting you guys with the dps). You wanted us to stop attacking so we did. And then another 45 minutes goes by while we wait for you guys to clear areas so we can move up. Guess that gets lost on all 6 of you. Didn't know I should have screenshot my chat before hand. But again, since you say this is a misrepresentation I ask again, as you would not answer this simple question in chat and accuse me of spamming now (a new accusation) trying to get this answer from you (in fairness I did ask twice): What goal, if I was trying to "train" your group, does that achieve for me? I want to go to the same place you are going. Why would I want to keep myself from getting there by killing you guys since that is your assumption. See, you assumed the worst of us and we literally did nothing. Now you are trying to make stuff up, just like you did last night while I was literally just sitting behind you. Just answer that question. Apply just a small amount of logic, please I sincerely want to know what gain I would have had by trying to get you killed in an area where by myself I would be doa?

And placing people on ignore for asking these questions in tells says more about you as a person that it does about me. I was being very civil even as you acted like we were infringing on your "territory" with comments like "Go away" and "I don't trust you". Am I spamming you for asking you why you don't trust me? and am I spamming you when I assured you we are not going to "train" you? Man, you need a carebear game for sure if you consider that to be spamming. Civil discourse is not spamming.

Oh and BTW, Exiles call for help just like all humanoids in this game, so if there is any other exile in shout distance to that mob you are attacking, they are coming in. This is a well known mechanic in this game after like level 4. You should have that figured out. Funny how none of those "adds" you are referring to ran to me....

Last edited:
I generally give people the benefit of the doubt until they show they don't deserve it.

*shrugs*
Again, if people applied logic to a situation it would seem to clear itself up. I don't see any gain in training a group in any game and have never been that type of player. I am approaching 3 decades of gaming in these environments. But in this game, why would a single or duo train a whole group in an area where that single or duo could not be if not for the other group? What is the gain? I want an answer to this question because on it's face it seems so elementary to me. There is no gain.

Lets enjoy the game together folks and not fight amongst ourselves, their are mobs for that!

Back