What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Stormhaven Press Release June 2023

Th
Thank you for the kind comments and encouragements.
I will answer a few questions...

Your characters will not be deleted. The first time you log in, you will have to choose your primary character. That will be the character that you will be able to play when you are not subscribed. Choose carefully!

No, we are not planning to allow players to purchase subscribers perk individually.
This is my personal opinion, but I do believe those type of transactions are very borderline with microtransactions. Ethicaly I am not at ease with that at all. What do you think?

At the moment, you need to play 10$ per month to be able to play your 3 characters. So you can consider that boxcost = game + 1 character Subscription= more character slots.
No matter how you look at it, for you, it's an upgrade.

Belt Lantern are bad for performance. That's the reason why we are not adding them. The day we can afford that performance cost, I believe we could make the Ember Stone at your belt serve that purpose.

This is the main reason why we do not want a FREE 2 PLAY model and we are keeping the boxcost as a paywall, with no trial beside Free Weekends.
That being said, we are working on moderation tools to make our task easier. When there is more players, there is usually more drama too. It doesn't even have to be Trolls. Most of the time it is two adults that are disagreeing and solving their issues in the global chat.
thanks so much for responding!
Regarding vault space. Do you have an idea how many slots will be in individual, shared, and bags for non subscribers? I want to start clearing things out just in case to make sure nothing is lost.

Do whatever you have to, to keep microtransactions out of this game. It's the biggest bane to fair play. I personally find subscriptions the best way to go.
I think the best option for keeping micro transactions out of the game is to add cosmetic and storage quests to the subscription. Anything that could be a microtransaction can just be added to the game in the form of quests. If you want to support the game more, subscribe.

Thanks again everyone for your questions and comments

Very strange movement, and it will lead only to a problems in both short- and long-term prospective.

Short-term means that you already lost about 5 subscriptions as from this day (cancelled). And it will just be more and more of the most core, understandable and devotee community. The communuty that played and believed in game despite multiple ongoing problems and issues.

Long-term means that you will not get more money from possible free players. f2p usually means shorter sessions with more simple gameplay - the quite opposite of the one you tried to suggest for a players before.

So, over time, you will both lose core community (paying community) and will not get more money from new players. Thank you for some pgood month of gameplay in past.
Our goal is very simple: bring in more players. We realised that the monthly subscription cost, in our time and days, and the current market, is a pay wall for many players. We want to allow players that are less dedicated to our game due to life, finances or other games, to still be able to join their friends. And allow new players to discover our game without being pushed away to invest a monthly sub.
The reaction overall had been really positive from both old players and new players, we are confident it was the right move. Obviously, not everyone will be happy about it. Feel free to share your concerns in a more detailed manner as I may be able to adress them. THANK you for your time and support! And have a very happy life, whatever decisions you make!

Do whatever you have to, to keep microtransactions out of this game. It's the biggest bane to fair play. I personally find subscriptions the best way to go.
We feel very strongly against MICROTRANSACTION OF ANY KIND. We will NOT add a cash shop, not even for cosmetic item that we want our player to find in game! We hope to convince you that our game is worthy of your monthly sub! This is our buisness strategy.

Please just do your best to overexplain how the limited character access, limited inventory access, etc. will function for those who cancel their subscriptions, because the thing that will frustrate the masses is losing access to things unwittingly. I know for my wife and myself, our focus will just be on picking the character we’d still want to use and adjusting our entire inventory to best suit that level of access, and I’m super happy to even have that option.
Nothing will be lost! You will have to select your main character uppon your first login without a sub. The other characters will still exist, but unaccessible till you you subscribe again.
A similar process will happen with your storage and bank. Some vertical rows of your bank will be accessible only if you are subscribers. you will however be able to retrieve items from those columns, but not able to place items in it.
why cant i play today if i backed the game in past,, never was a sub
Heya! You have access to the game, but at this day, you still need to have an active subscription to play the game. This will be removed in July however. So if you do not want to pay a subscription, please be patient and you will have access to the game in July.
You did not had to pay a monthly sub during Alpha and Beta (if you played back then) because it was Alpha & Beta. The game requiere a monthly subscription since its release the 15th of October. This subcription will become optional in july!

Thank you for coming up with a solution to allow more casual players to join in with their friends who might be more invested in the game already and who see the great value that a monthly sub brings to the game. In this day and age where cash shops and micro transactions rule the day it's a breath of fresh air to be able to play a monthly sub only game and still be able to bring in potential future full time players by giving them a vehicle to try the game out casually.

No, we are not planning to allow players to purchase subscribers perk individually.
This is my personal opinion, but I do believe those type of transactions are very borderline with microtransactions. Ethicaly I am not at ease with that at all. What do you think?

Forcing people to have a sub for storage space sucks. I wont be playing the game in that case. Usually an MMO thats free to play will allow people to buy storage space if they dont subscribe

Just so you understand @Morbeous, non-subscribed people WILL be able to buy storage space using in-game currency.

I'll say it twice cos it's so nice.

If you are a non-subscribed player, you WILL be able to use in-game currency to increase your storage.

Thats cool, isn't it!

Last edited:
Good move. I know I have personally subscribed multiple times to try the game again and was not able to enjoy it with all 50ish people online at my time of playing. It was simply too difficult as a casual player to find other people to group with. I really hope this brings back more people to the game and it allows me to play here and there until I get sucked in again enough to justify the monthly cost.

Just so you understand @Morbeous, non-subscribed people WILL be able to buy storage space using in-game currency.

I'll say it twice cos it's so nice.

If you are a non-subscribed player, you WILL be able to use in-game currency to increase your storage.

Thats cool, isn't it!
Is this confirmed? Because it kind of defeats one of the main reasons to get a sub.

Is this confirmed? Because it kind of defeats one of the main reasons to get a sub.
No it doesn't.

If subbed, your bank looks like this:
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
+ buy another row
XXXXXXXX

If not subbed your bank looks like this:
XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXX
+ buy another row
XXXXXXXX

So the unsubbed can buy more slots, just not as many as a subbed.
I can't think of a fairer and better way to do this, well done Stormhaven.

------------
Glossary
X - storage slot

X - locked storage slot (if unsubbed)

Last edited:
I see this as useful for those that have already bought the game but let their subscription lapse. This will allow them to check it out on a regular basis to see if changes made inspire them to renew their subscription.

From that perspective alone I feel this option valuable.

Just read from a guy who bought the game yesterday and he had to buy an sub additionally to his already purchased game? It seems to be the case since 2nd june.And yes, that definitely leaves a sour taste in my mouth and feeling less inclined to buy the game if they took away that 10 dollar worth.
This should not be the case at all unless they bought the game back in alpha/beta and are just joining now.

To both of you I have the same response - I am not 100% against subscriptions, if they are only optional and provide perks that aren't making non-subscribers feeling like they are neutered, it's perfectly fine. I don't have a lot of experience, but 2 games I've played extensively that are with optional subscription and mostly B2P are LOTRO and ESO. In both, a monthly subscription grants you special currency and you can use it on the store to buy different things, mostly cosmetic and QoL, nothing to give you power over non-subscribers.

Such a subscription, where the ones who choose to subscribe solely to further support the game they want and are doing it for this purpose alone is fine with me.

Only a mandatory subscription is something that I can only imagine for a premium, AAA, top-of-the-line service, not every service can be justified with a subscription. My town has at least 6 ISPs (internet service providers) that I can think of, they offer both internet and TV or just internet, if the service of one doesn't satisfy me, I can just not renew my contract and move to another provider. This is how I see MMORPGs that require subscriptions - if one game is not good enough, I will just not pay the subscription and go play another one, be it subscription-based or not. A lot of people will do it too. I think this is what happened with Embers Adrift - not many people were paying for the subscription and the developers finally decided that to make the game more accessible, they should make the subscription optional, and for this I wholeheartedly applaud them.

ESO subscriptions provide more than game store currency. They also double your bank space, provide unlimited crafting material storage, and access to all DLCs at no additional cost so long as they are maintained. While you can purchase bank slots and DLCs to offset not being subscribed there is no way to get unlimited crafting storage other than by subscription.

However, subscription prices don't tell the whole story. At least the base game must be purchased to have any access at all. You must also purchase Chapters on a regular basis as a subscriber, their name for expansions, to remain up to date. Chapters not purchased cannot be accessed by any means. These have two basic options, the current chapter only for those other up to date and another for any of those not up to date so they can easily catch up on the previously released chapter. Each comes in standard or deluxe versions.

That makes ESO quite expensive actually, certainly in comparison to Embers Adrift where to date you must purchase only the game and maintain an inexpensive subscription compared to the standard for MMORPGs to have full access.

This is an excellent decision, thank you!!

Life is busy, there is chaos. Sometimes I don't have enough entertainment time in a month to find the value in any subscription. Being unable to login for a few moments only tends to push me away further. This is a great solution imo.

It only serves to add value to the overall experience for everyone. Thank you!

ESO subscriptions provide more than game store currency. They also double your bank space, provide unlimited crafting material storage, and access to all DLCs at no additional cost so long as they are maintained. While you can purchase bank slots and DLCs to offset not being subscribed there is no way to get unlimited crafting storage other than by subscription.

However, subscription prices don't tell the whole story. At least the base game must be purchased to have any access at all. You must also purchase Chapters on a regular basis as a subscriber, their name for expansions, to remain up to date. Chapters not purchased cannot be accessed by any means. These have two basic options, the current chapter only for those other up to date and another for any of those not up to date so they can easily catch up on the previously released chapter. Each comes in standard or deluxe versions.

That makes ESO quite expensive actually, certainly in comparison to Embers Adrift where to date you must purchase only the game and maintain an inexpensive subscription compared to the standard for MMORPGs to have full access.
I know how ESO works, I own it. I just don't play it anymore since they made the game so braindead easy with the level scaling in Tamriel Unlimited update that I can't find any enjoyment in the game or reason to play it so I don't play it anymore, but the game is not as expensive as you make it sound to be.

When I bought ESO in 2015, I paid $60 for the base game and in 2018, I paid $30 for the Morrowind chapter, now they are selling the base game + Morrowind for $20 and who knows what else. The game is a lot cheaper now than it was around launch.

I know how ESO works, I own it. I just don't play it anymore since they made the game so braindead easy with the level scaling in Tamriel Unlimited update that I can't find any enjoyment in the game or reason to play it so I don't play it anymore, but the game is not as expensive as you make it sound to be.

When I bought ESO in 2015, I paid $60 for the base game and in 2018, I paid $30 for the Morrowind chapter, now they are selling the base game + Morrowind for $20 and who knows what else. The game is a lot cheaper now than it was around launch.
ESO is as difficult as each player wants to make it. There is a wide variety of challenge available for both solo or group players. Of course having dumped it that long ago you wouldn't really know much about that on offer these days.

ESO is as difficult as each player wants to make it. There is a wide variety of challenge available for both solo or group players. Of course having dumped it that long ago you wouldn't really know much about that on offer these days.
You don't know what you're talking about.

I install ESO almost every year to try and get back into it and find meaning to play again, I never do. Last time I tried was a few months ago.

Leveling is so easy and stupid that it insults anyone who isn't in a vegetative state.

I enjoy leveling, questing, seeing my character get stronger, read quest text, explore new zones, loot better gear.

ESO used to provide me that before 2016, now it doesn't do it anymore, because it was made easy for mentally challenged people. I can't find enjoyment in the only thing I liked about MMORPGs - leveling. If I can't enjoy what I like about games, I won't force myself to do activities such as dungeons, veteran dungeons or challenges if I don't like them.

Or maybe you can tell me how I can make leveling and questing in the overworld not to be as dull as it is so I no longer stand among 10 mobs and kill them at my own leisure with Normal Attacks, (I can even unequip my weapons and punch them to death without risking death myself) not even using skills because I just can't die or why I can solo kite world bosses at level 32 with a Warden without any CP. Or why before 2016, I could only reach the 2nd wave from a Dark Anchor, but now I can solo the whole thing all by myself without breaking a sweat.

Don't give me this useless "advice" about how I should play naked or do content I hate to have some difficulty or challenge.

The game used to be fun, better and more difficult, now it isn't. It's targeting a demographic of noobs who play Sims and doll house and dress up. I can't play the game anymore because they alienated all original veteran players like me. The game literally scammed me out of my money and chased me away. They won't even bring back some difficulty mode back into the game or even discuss it. I paid good money for this game and now the same amount of content I bought costs less than 1/3 of what I paid.

If you don't know what you're talking about don't talk at all.

Last edited:

I install ESO almost every year to try and get back into it and find meaning to play again, I never do. Last time I tried was a few months ago.

Leveling is so easy and stupid that it insults anyone who isn't in a vegetative state.

I enjoy leveling, questing, seeing my character get stronger, read quest text, explore new zones, loot better gear.

ESO used to provide me that before 2016, now it doesn't do it anymore, because it was made easy for mentally challenged people. I can't find enjoyment in the only thing I liked about MMORPGs - leveling. If I can't enjoy what I like about games, I won't force myself to do activities such as dungeons, veteran dungeons or challenges if I don't like them.

Or maybe you can tell me how I can make leveling and questing in the overworld not to be as dull as it is so I no longer stand among 10 mobs and kill them at my own leisure with Normal Attacks, (I can even unequip my weapons and punch them to death without risking death myself) not even using skills because I just can't die or why I can solo kite world bosses at level 32 with a Warden without any CP. Or why before 2016, I could only reach the 2nd wave from a Dark Anchor, but now I can solo the whole thing all by myself without breaking a sweat.

Don't give me this useless "advice" about how I should play naked or do content I hate to have some difficulty or challenge.

The game used to be fun, better and more difficult, now it isn't. It's targeting a demographic of noobs who play Sims and doll house and dress up. I can't play the game anymore because they alienated all original veteran players like me. The game literally scammed me out of my money and chased me away. They won't even bring back some difficulty mode back into the game or even discuss it. I paid good money for this game and now the same amount of content I bought costs less than 1/3 of what I paid.

+1,5

I can only know what you choose to say and in the first post I responded to said you don't you don't play anymore and that your last Chapter purchase was Morrowind. Now you've amended your story to periodic checking on the game but with no mention of purchase beyond Morrowind. Your knowledge of the game remains lacking because you have no direct knowledge to anything beyond Morrowind, and much of what I speak of wasn't introduced until later chapters they you remain ignorant on.

It's not my job to maintain your interest? Why don't you figure out a way to do so? I will tell you that I would not rely on the overland content of any MMORPG to maintain my interest as such isn't the place interesting play tends to be. That is found in more high end content which is available in varying tiers meant for group and solo play so as to provide a wide range of challenge to suit various tastes. Most of it came after Morrowind, though.

Don't give opinions based on your out of date information of a game you haven't kept up on so now know little of.

Back