What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Missive or Repeatable task

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xavure

I know this will not be the majority, but I'm the kind of player that like to do some repetitive task, that are not quest.
In example: Go kill 15 Rats and get a small reward.

I know most people hate these, but I kinda like it. Would not be really hard to implement and would give a very small reward, a few silver or a pack of reagents.
The could even come from a Bulletin Board found in every town or Missive board like in Vanguard.

Anyway, just a small thing to add, that would give solo players something to do.

I know this will not be the majority, but I'm the kind of player that like to do some repetitive task, that are not quest.
In example: Go kill 15 Rats and get a small reward.

I know most people hate these, but I kinda like it. Would not be really hard to implement and would give a very small reward, a few silver or a pack of reagents.
The could even come from a Bulletin Board found in every town or Missive board like in Vanguard.

Anyway, just a small thing to add, that would give solo players something to do.
Agreed. I'm a sucker for simple tasks from bulletins/NPCs that make me feel like I'm contributing to the <zone/town>. I also think they could be done tastefully, something like "<NPC> needs enough pelts to <repair/craft something> and 5 should do it" rather than just "Kill 15 Quillbacks". Maybe, one day, a solid faction grind (to unlock purchasable items, quests, lore, etc.).

I've found solo and small group (DEF + SUP) play more challenging in Embers, recently, but (again) I've accepted that dynamic. I feel like it's advertised heavily as a group-oriented game, but I'll admit that will naturally bring up thoughts around overall viability - as a busy adult w/ a family I have a hard time coordinating game time. I also feel like the target audience, so I get it.

I could get behind some simple task that offers a little additional XP. Maybe do not make it an obvious quest marker or anything just something that comes up naturally in a conversation with an NPC. For instance in classic EQ in Rivervale there was a quest where you ran stew to a guard in the bank. You may not notice that quest if you did no pay attention to the NPC chatter in that area. Then you would go to that NPC that you saw mention something about a guard and food and use the hail command. This would open up text where you could find out more and then at the end of the text you realize you can deliver some food to this guard for some reward and xp. These are the types of quests that are fun early on as you learn the game. I wouldn't use them for higher level content but early on for sure. Higher level stuff should be large quests that get you weapons/armor or skills.

Yea I have mixed feelings about these, and perhaps its more about execution and context rather than the tasks themselves. It feels a bit cheap to just send you off to kill 15 rats for no real reason other than it was a list with a checkbox next to it and to do it over and over. I've played many games that do this and they drive engagement for maybe a week and then the obvious shallowness of it sort of kills any will to continue. Maybe the only example I can think of that I kept doing these was Age of Conan, but I think the combat systems carried me through that tedious portion of the game. A lot of people left the game when they hit the task board doldrums. I get the problem they address and we have not really solved that issue in later levels, so I'm not being dismissive just speaking to my experience with these systems.

I completely agree I hate shallow checklist slaughter quests. Which is why I mentioned that style of quest above. Again these styles of quests would be for low level. like 1-5 or so. Gives people something extra for killing the same mobs. I would hate to see too many of the quests like kill rats and bring back 10 teeth. Those irritate me because drops of teeth are not an always drop and it drives me nuts. I would think a rat should always have some teeth just as an example. I digress. So yes I am cautious to suggest adding such quests but low level needs something for sure that is repeatable. Higher level certainly should be more grandiose and not repeatable though.

Yea I have mixed feelings about these, and perhaps its more about execution and context rather than the tasks themselves. It feels a bit cheap to just send you off to kill 15 rats for no real reason other than it was a list with a checkbox next to it and to do it over and over. I've played many games that do this and they drive engagement for maybe a week and then the obvious shallowness of it sort of kills any will to continue. Maybe the only example I can think of that I kept doing these was Age of Conan, but I think the combat systems carried me through that tedious portion of the game. A lot of people left the game when they hit the task board doldrums. I get the problem they address and we have not really solved that issue in later levels, so I'm not being dismissive just speaking to my experience with these systems.
Actually, a somewhat imperviously-good point when considering dailies as raw tasks with no “end”. I was only thinking of them as a potential foundation to something more rewarding. Not necessarily just an end in-and-of themselves. Though I’ll also say that I don’t think forgoing the system is a deal killer. It does “buy time” with engaging players in add’l activities for progression.

Perhaps, at the start, it’s another way for players to get their hands on reagents/mats that are otherwise difficult/impossible for them to get (rewards for daily quests like hides for someone who isn’t a hunter, reagents to save money, a middle-ground weapon or armor piece, etc.). That would be worth it, but also completely ignorable. Just one more venue to get what you need out of the world.

Later, if ever, daily quests could even be tied to a faction grind (for that zone’s main town/outpost) that would eventually allow an NPC to offer a quest(line). In other words, there could be little lights through the tunnel, at first (rewards for dailies that are usually worth it) and then big openings at the end of the tunnel (new quest lines opened through faction grind).

Obviously this is something that would require a lot of development and thought so that it fits within Ember’s progression. Again, just spitballing ideas, I realize that a daily quest engine that is immediately rewarding and “worth it” is already a complicated ask; not to mention a faction system that triggers quest lines. Oof.

Thanks for your insight!

So yes I am cautious to suggest adding such quests but low level needs something for sure that is repeatable. Higher level certainly should be more grandiose and not repeatable though.

I read into the thread here specifically meaning higher levels where progression slows down and everything is a macro-task with very little micro-tasks to drive engagement. But I had not considered whether the low levels needed additional micro tasks outside of the quest structures we currently have. I am curious, is the driving factor here primarily around leveling alts or just to supplement the existing low level content?

I read into the thread here specifically meaning higher levels where progression slows down and everything is a macro-task with very little micro-tasks to drive engagement. But I had not considered whether the low levels needed additional micro tasks outside of the quest structures we currently have. I am curious, is the driving factor here primarily around leveling alts or just to supplement the existing low level content?
Mostly to supplement low level content, at least in my opinion. I mean sure that benefits folks with alts too but I am thinking about this purely from a new player standpoint. This weekend I will try to hop in and get some testing done to see how it is now since it has been a bit since I tested and I know a lot of changes have happened.
At higher levels I feel like fetch quests and stuff are rather low end. Things at higher level should be more engaging. However, they should maybe offer larger rewards XP wise this way they are worth doing. As an example look back to the Epic quests in original EQ. They were, well, epic quests that had you traveling the world of Norrath fighting things, hunting components and engaging in story. Some of them did include fetch style quests but if the series of quests adds up to say several levels over the course of however long they are and you get a bad ass weapon that makes the high end quest much more worth it. Perhaps even have any battle related quests offer extra XP for killing the big bad you are targeting have the hand ins offer double xp upon completion, however that would scale. Just ideas.

I was primarily suggesting this because I personally like these kind of tasks. Not too hard to implement with a bulletin board and could be enhanced later down the road. I think these tasks should be introduced in Meadowlands Village. They should also be available in Dryfoot Center Town and Redshore small Camp, imo. Lower level players has a lot on their plates with crafting/gathering and the dungeons, but could be added in RavenRock at some point....I don't know, that's just ideas.....

As far as driving force, I guess I just don't think there's a bad place to put a taskboard/NPC so that players can get their hands on some extra mats/gear...and feel just a little more connected to a living game world. It's a tough place to be, resources (people) are thin, people in every area are going to need more help than ever. As the game progresses the rewards could branch out a bit - or at least match the zone/level and rewards.

Last edited:
IMO, repeatable tasks are cheesy and uncreative. They make the game feel fake. I'd much rather just run out into the wilderness, exploring and killing whatever I want, preferably with other players. I am always going to be against anything that promotes soloing/anti-social behavior.

The current quest system feels great - there are SO few of them, it makes them actually feel important, rather than running from camp to camp, picking up a bunch of quests and ignoring their dialogue, so far it seems to be about 1 quest per camp. But these aren't your typical go kill 10 wolves quests. For the most part they just give you a general direction to head towards, its up to you to find what you're looking for. No quests areas marked on the map, no arrows, and they have you running ALL over the place. It's great. I think my favorite part about the quests is that they don't give EXP.

The vagueness of the quests causes people to communicate and cooperate, which is the point of the game. Boring repeatable kill 10 wolves quests is the opposite of this. The only way I could see it fitting this game is if the reward was absolutely ABYSSMAL and you were only utilizing the quests to have something to do while LFG.

IMO, repeatable tasks are cheesy and uncreative. They make the game feel fake. I'd much rather just run out into the wilderness, exploring and killing whatever I want, preferably with other players. I am always going to be against anything that promotes soloing/anti-social behavior.
I understand your point of view, and the experience you've had with them, but I've only experience them when they were not executed well. However, I think that anything done with a quality intent can be very meaningful. There's no specific reason they couldn't be both for solo and group content, depending on the objective. I find them endearing, so long as they're tied to an NPC's name or reasonable objective within the game world. Plus, if you still didn't prefer them, they'd be ignorable.

The current quest system feels great - there are SO few of them, it makes them actually feel important, rather than running from camp to camp, picking up a bunch of quests and ignoring their dialogue, so far it seems to be about 1 quest per camp. But these aren't your typical go kill 10 wolves quests. For the most part they just give you a general direction to head towards, its up to you to find what you're looking for. No quests areas marked on the map, no arrows, and they have you running ALL over the place. It's great. I think my favorite part about the quests is that they don't give EXP.
I agree! I will say that I'm a fan of fewer, more important quests that are worth reading. I'm neither here nor there on the XP reward - if it's a good reward item or just a great story that tells more about the world, that's reward enough. That said, I do respect the fact that in the world of fantasy gaming, nearly all adventures reward experience upon their completion and the lack of that type of reward probably feels more strange than familiar.

The vagueness of the quests causes people to communicate and cooperate, which is the point of the game. Boring repeatable kill 10 wolves quests is the opposite of this. The only way I could see it fitting this game is if the reward was absolutely ABYSSMAL and you were only utilizing the quests to have something to do while LFG.
Having repeatable quests has nothing to do with *not* having good quests, it's about giving a little more life to the world. Embers is a place where resources and help are at a premium. People are missing, resources are thin...it makes sense that these people would need more help - not just with thinning out the bear population. I feel, in my humble opinion, that repeatable quests could add more life to the world if the rewards and delivery system appeared relevant.

I understand your point of view, and the experience you've had with them, but I've only experience them when they were not executed well. However, I think that anything done with a quality intent can be very meaningful. There's no specific reason they couldn't be both for solo and group content, depending on the objective. I find them endearing, so long as they're tied to an NPC's name or reasonable objective within the game world. Plus, if you still didn't prefer them, they'd be ignorable.

I agree! I will say that I'm a fan of fewer, more important quests that are worth reading. I'm neither here nor there on the XP reward - if it's a good reward item or just a great story that tells more about the world, that's reward enough. That said, I do respect the fact that in the world of fantasy gaming, nearly all adventures reward experience upon their completion and the lack of that type of reward probably feels more strange than familiar.

Having repeatable quests has nothing to do with *not* having good quests, it's about giving a little more life to the world. Embers is a place where resources and help are at a premium. People are missing, resources are thin...it makes sense that these people would need more help - not just with thinning out the bear population. I feel, in my humble opinion, that repeatable quests could add more life to the world if the rewards and delivery system appeared relevant.
Repeatable quests are not good quests or good design, period. You are only going to read that quest text once (if you read it at all, the truth is that most people don't), afterwards your objective is going to be to click through the dialogue as quick as possible. That, to me, is bad game design.

A quest should be a 1 time thing that feels kind of epic - I think the current quests in the game are great because it's not just "kill 10 wolves" and then never speak to that NPC again. The quests are long chains that have you running all over, back to the quest NPC more than once, one of them even continues into the next zone. These feel like actual quests. Repeatable kill 10 wolves quests are garbage that is made just to keep you logged in and playing longer - there's other games for that.

It is obvious to me that this game's strong suit is going to be roaming big winding dungeons with a group of players. That is what seems to rightfully be the focus of the game, and hopefully it stays that way. I'd hate to see the game start rewarding people for doing the simplest things like many modern MMOs do. Oh you walked outside of town? Here's some EXP! Oh you crafted an item? Here's some ADVENTURING EXP! It's just silly and doesn't fit this game at all.

Repeatable quests are not good quests or good design, period. You are only going to read that quest text once (if you read it at all, the truth is that most people don't), afterwards your objective is going to be to click through the dialogue as quick as possible. That, to me, is bad game design.

A quest should be a 1 time thing that feels kind of epic - I think the current quests in the game are great because it's not just "kill 10 wolves" and then never speak to that NPC again. The quests are long chains that have you running all over, back to the quest NPC more than once, one of them even continues into the next zone. These feel like actual quests. Repeatable kill 10 wolves quests are garbage that is made just to keep you logged in and playing longer - there's other games for that.

It is obvious to me that this game's strong suit is going to be roaming big winding dungeons with a group of players. That is what seems to rightfully be the focus of the game, and hopefully it stays that way. I'd hate to see the game start rewarding people for doing the simplest things like many modern MMOs do. Oh you walked outside of town? Here's some EXP! Oh you crafted an item? Here's some ADVENTURING EXP! It's just silly and doesn't fit this game at all.
You guys did not understood the point of this post, this was related to players that like repetitive task and not quest. These task should not have any quest descriptions or whatever, they are just meant to fill gap for certain type of players. I'll repeat it should be totally optional and it's for the players that like doing it. Those who don't like that, just ignore them and move along, plain and simple.
These are not quests, they should be named task or something like that, if they ever coming into the world.

The more option you have, the more type of players you can attract, so we can have a game for the long term. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes had missives and nobody never complain about it, because it was totally optional.

Repeatable quests are not good quests or good design, period.
I disagree. This is a false statement. I enjoy them. I'm a gamer. In fact, they've kept me around in games much longer than I might have otherwise decided, long after content had been completed - so if it's bad, why do so many of us, even if in just this forum, ask for them? We're bad players? I don't think that is fair.

You are only going to read that quest text once (if you read it at all, the truth is that most people don't), afterwards your objective is going to be to click through the dialogue as quick as possible. That, to me, is bad game design.
Maybe I read the quest once, but if I never read it again I'll still know it's part of the world and contribute for the reward - knowing the shopkeeper needs some food resources or the healer needs more potions. Food and healing...kind of a repeatable quest in our own world, wouldn't you say?

A quest should be a 1 time thing that feels kind of epic - I think the current quests in the game are great because it's not just "kill 10 wolves" and then never speak to that NPC again.
All quests should be epic? Again, I disagree. There are many things that make a game world thrive - but they don't all have to be world-rocking endeavors. A family member of mine once said, "Can't every day be fireworks".

The quests are long chains that have you running all over, back to the quest NPC more than once, one of them even continues into the next zone. These feel like actual quests.
One might play the devil's advocate, here, and say that quest chains that run you back-and-forth to the same NPC (instead of progressing) are needless, repeatable-style tasks. A true progression question would carry a player along in both the storyline and geographically through the next area/zone and NPC.

Repeatable kill 10 wolves quests are garbage that is made just to keep you logged in and playing longer - there's other games for that.
There are other games that do have repeatable quests, yes, and perhaps consider just how eerily similar they are to this game. It's quite the coincidence.

You'd hate to give other players the option to play the game in a way that they find enjoyable because of your own personal vision for the game? That's a tight chain with an awkward center. I don't think anyone is stating that repeatable quests MUST give XP, either, simply that they should be in as an option.

We all make suggestions based around our personal preferences, and I respect that you don't like repeatable quests - they're tied to some bad gaming experiences for you. Understood. Just as much as you dislike them, there will be others that like them...maybe even with the same level of passion. That doesn't make a gamer bad or good, it just makes them different. Ultimately it will be up to the Devs to decide; it's both their vision and their code. Having repeatable quests wouldn't harm your gaming experience in the slightest - you can ignore them. However, it would provide those that enjoy them a venue to do just that.

Last edited:
You guys did not understood the point of this post, this was related to players that like repetitive task and not quest. These task should not have any quest descriptions or whatever, they are just meant to fill gap for certain type of players.
I understand your vision, but I wanted to share my own flare on the suggestion. I think repeatable quests should have some sort of minor detail. It could be brief. I don't want to walk up to a board that I double click which snaps a task to my quest log with one line that looks like:

Repeatable: Kill 10 wolves.

I'd much rather it say:

Jon's Tavern lays victim to another bar room brawl, this time over a woman...or was that last time, too? Anyways, he needs some refined wood to fix up a table and a chair or three. 10 bundles of refined wood should do it.

I'll repeat it should be totally optional and it's for the players that like doing it. Those who don't like that, just ignore them and move along, plain and simple.
These are not quests, they should be named task or something like that, if they ever coming into the world.
Agreed.

The more option you have, the more type of players you can attract, so we can have a game for the long term. Vanguard: Saga of Heroes had missives and nobody never complain about it, because it was totally optional.
Vanguard is a perfect example. So many repeatable quests and I did many of them over and over again. Like you, I enjoyed having this path as an alternate option to enjoy the game.

You guys did not understood the point of this post, this was related to players that like repetitive task and not quest. These task should not have any quest descriptions or whatever, they are just meant to fill gap for certain type of players. I'll repeat it should be totally optional and it's for the players that like doing it. Those who don't like that, just ignore them and move along, plain and simple.

No one complained about Vanguard because there were no players to do the complaining.

I disagree. This is a false statement. I enjoy them. I'm a gamer. In fact, they've kept me around in games much longer than I might have otherwise decided, long after content had been completed - so if it's bad, why do so many of us, even if in just this forum, ask for them? We're bad players? I don't think that is fair.

Maybe I read the quest once, but if I never read it again I'll still know it's part of the world and contribute for the reward - knowing the shopkeeper needs some food resources or the healer needs more potions. Food and healing...kind of a repeatable quest in our own world, wouldn't you say?

All quests should be epic? Again, I disagree. There are many things that make a game world thrive - but they don't all have to be world-rocking endeavors. A family member of mine once said, "Can't every day be fireworks".

One might play the devil's advocate, here, and say that quest chains that run you back-and-forth to the same NPC (instead of progressing) are needless, repeatable-style tasks. A true progression question would carry a player along in both the storyline and geographically through the next area/zone and NPC.

There are other games that do have repeatable quests, yes, and perhaps consider just how eerily similar they are to this game. It's quite the coincidence.

You'd hate to give other players the option to play the game in a way that they find enjoyable because of your own personal vision for the game? That's a tight chain with an awkward center. I don't think anyone is stating that repeatable quests MUST give XP, either, simply that they should be in as an option.

We all make suggestions based around our personal preferences, and I respect that you don't like repeatable quests - they're tied to some bad gaming experiences for you. Understood. Just as much as you dislike them, there will be others that like them...maybe even with the same level of passion. That doesn't make a gamer bad or good, it just makes them different. Ultimately it will be up to the Devs to decide; it's both their vision and their code. Having repeatable quests wouldn't harm your gaming experience in the slightest - you can ignore them. However, it would provide those that enjoy them a venue to do just that.
Epic was not the word I wanted to use there, but what I meant is that quests should send you off into the unknown, they should force you to explore. They should often require other players.

I haven't seen a quest chain in the game run you back and forth needlessly yet, they for the most part send you into different areas of the map and even into the dungeons, just like you suggest.

What would be the point of spending development time on these repeatable quests if there weren't rewards? What would be the point of the players completing them? They should be an option for what, exactly? If not EXP, then what? Crafting materials? That makes no sense. If you want ore, you should have to mine for it, not kill wolves over and over. If you want skins, just skin the damn wolves, you don't need a quest to do that. Potions? Food? You should have to trade for those things.

And yes, it does harm my experience if the vision of the game - which is a cooperative dungeon crawler - changes to spend less time on the cooperative dungeon crawler part and more on catering to anti-social players who just want to grind the same kill 10 wolves quest over and over by themselves, which doesn't seem to be the type of player the devs are interested in catering to. I actually bought the game SPECIFICALLY to respond to this very thread, because so far I am fully on board with the team's vision for this game, which this thread goes against.

No one complained about Vanguard because there were no players to do the complaining.
Careful. I ran a guild in Vanguard with more concurrent players online on a Tuesday morning than I've seen on the entire Embers server on a Saturday night. I don't know what you're alluding to here, but it doesn't seem accurate. Also, we did a TON of complaining, tyvm - that game was a mess (and we loved it anyways).

Epic was not the word I wanted to use there, but what I meant is that quests should send you off into the unknown, they should force you to explore. They should often require other players.
I understand, I was being literal to make a point that they can't all perfectly work this way (or feel like they work that way) to everyone.

I haven't seen a quest chain in the game run you back and forth needlessly yet, they for the most part send you into different areas of the map and even into the dungeons, just like you suggest.
What about the quest for the apprentice? Players have to go back and forth to the starter NPC quite a few times. Afterwards, it progresses. Many of the Newhaven quests take you back to the same areas over again. Scouting the bandit camps? Cool. BTW, are you looking for some weapons caches? Guess where those are? Want to get the most goodies out of a dungeon? Loot drops are scarce, so guess where you're going to go over, and over, and over again? That's just an example of how "repeatable" already exists in many ways.

What would be the point of spending development time on these repeatable quests if there weren't rewards? What would be the point of the players completing them? They should be an option for what, exactly? If not EXP, then what? Crafting materials? That makes no sense. If you want ore, you should have to mine for it, not kill wolves over and over. If you want skins, just skin the damn wolves, you don't need a quest to do that. Potions? Food? You should have to trade for those things.
Rewards could be crafting materials, coin, a weapon, or piece of armor. Maybe a cloth shirt or a shiny new leather belt. Perhaps it could be some kunai/arrows/bolt or maybe a few health potions to save you some money/time/crafting. Makes perfect sense to me. Do quest. Get reward (doesn't have to be XP). Sounds downright traditional.

And yes, it does harm my experience if the vision of the game - which is a cooperative dungeon crawler - changes to spend less time on the cooperative dungeon crawler part and more on catering to anti-social players who just want to grind the same kill 10 wolves quest over and over by themselves, which doesn't seem to be the type of player the devs are interested in catering to. I actually bought the game SPECIFICALLY to respond to this very thread, because so far I am fully on board with the team's vision for this game, which this thread goes against.
No, it won't. If you can ignore them, then you ignore them. I don't like the fact that games put Bears everywhere; they take longer to kill, don't reward extra XP, usually have annoying abilities, and are found in every zone...but here we are. Also, who says that all repeatable quests need to be done alone? What about a repeatable to kill a named 3^ NPC, traverse a dungeon to scout for resources, or perhaps get your hands on something crafted that you don't have the crafting skill to complete? Those are all repeatable that would require a group. Sounds like fun.

I'm not going to inflect my staunch vision of the game on the Embers team, but I will share my opinion and I've done so. I'm glad you purchased the game...but I think your money would have been better spent to just play and test, not to plunge into the forums to berate other players on how they prefer to enjoy these types of games. I don't know what repeatable quests out there hurt you so deeply, but I don't feel like it warrants any stoic and insulting commentary.

You're passionate about this, we get it, but you're not changing our minds and we're not trying to change yours. All you really have to do is respect that other players actually enjoy this type of content, even if you don't, and move on.

Rewards could be crafting materials, coin, a weapon, or piece of armor. Maybe a cloth shirt or a shiny new leather belt. Perhaps it could be some kunai/arrows/bolt or maybe a few health potions to save you some money/time/crafting. Makes perfect sense to me. Do quest. Get reward (doesn't have to be XP). Sounds downright traditional.
So you're literally trying to turn this game into every other modern MMO. WHY? That is not what the staff wants. Most of what you acquire in this game is meant to be done in a cooperative manner, whether it is done through trading, dungeon crawling, or quests which the majority of so far have sent us to places not meant to be soloed.

It's a bit odd that you pretended earlier to care about lore/story, by saying:
Embers is a place where resources and help are at a premium. People are missing, resources are thin...it makes sense that these people would need more help
yet in this world where resources and help are limited, you're OK with INFINITELY REPEATABLE quests to get all friggin kinds of rewards? Where did these rewards come from? How were these NPCs that can't even walk outside town to kill a wolf able to acquire UNLIMITED resources to give away? Very contradicting viewpoint.

not to plunge into the forums to berate other players on how they prefer to enjoy these types of games.
No one was berated except me now, when you put words in my mouth I didn't say. It's hilarious that you tell me to deal with your opinion but can't seem to handle mine.

Not like it matters. It's obvious that these won't be added. I mean the OP practically started off by saying it was a bad idea:
I know most people hate these

And then lines like these
Would not be really hard to implement and would give a very small reward, a few silver or a pack of reagents.
just go to show how little some people comprehend about game development - it requires balance. Changing one tiny thing can have catastrophic outcomes. Thought isn't being put into things like inflation and how throwing more materials and money and equipment and consumables affects the game's economy and player to player trading environment. Even having a simple commodity like EXP be a reward changes the game. There are other variables to consider such as time consumption, group content can last a long while, while our group was gathering at the dungeon entrance you finished your first kill 10 wolves quest (maybe even a second one!) and are already gaining EXP, items, consumables, and apparently even upgrades? That is literally the exact opposite of this game's philosophy, is it not?

It's like I said before, the only way these types of quests fit the game are if the rewards are basically nothing, which then begs the question if they were ever worth wasting time creating in the first place.

So you're literally trying to turn this game into every other modern MMO. WHY? That is not what the staff wants. Most of what you acquire in this game is meant to be done in a cooperative manner, whether it is done through trading, dungeon crawling, or quests which the majority of so far have sent us to places not meant to be soloed.
No, I’m not. It’s the suggestion of just one, single possible gameplay concept - there’s no conversion; these games are made up of many such mechanics. I don’t feel that this game is so fragile that one such new (and entirely ignorable) dynamic will peform a complete transformation. That seems a bit too dramatic.

I also don’t feign to know what the staff wants…and I’m not trying to either. I simply share my positive experiences with the Embers team and its players and ask to improve the game in a way that I‘ve enjoyed in other such titles. Again, a repeatable quest system is something that could require a group to complete, so cooperative can be part of the system. I clearly stated that, already.

It's a bit odd that you pretended earlier to care about lore/story, by saying:

yet in this world where resources and help are limited, you're OK with INFINITELY REPEATABLE quests to get all friggin kinds of rewards? Where did these rewards come from? How were these NPCs that can't even walk outside town to kill a wolf able to acquire UNLIMITED resources to give away? Very contradicting viewpoint.
Repeatable doesn’t have to mean indefinite. Perhaps a few dailies and a few weeklies and when they’re out, they’re out until the next day/week. Again, repeatable doesn’t have to mean infinite. I would like to ask that you try not to jam repeatable quests into one very specific framework where you feel comfortable attacking. Broaden your horizons a little, conceptually, and think of ways that they might already exist (or things like them) in the game as it stands, now.

No one was berated except me now, when you put words in my mouth I didn't say. It's hilarious that you tell me to deal with your opinion but can't seem to handle mine.
Here, I’d like to quote myself from a previous reply to one of your posts, “We all make suggestions based around our personal preferences, and I respect that you don't like repeatable quests - they're tied to some bad gaming experiences for you. Understood.”

See, I can handle your opinion. I already stated that I fully accept the fact that you don’t like repeatable quests. I also stated that I respect and appreciate your opinion. I don’t agree with it and I don’t have to, either. In fact, I think you’re dead wrong and I enjoy the freedom I have as an individual to disagree - in this case, I’m kind of enjoying it, but that’s not entirely my fault.

Not like it matters. It's obvious that these won't be added. I mean the OP practically started off by saying it was a bad idea:
I don’t think OP was putting words in anyone’s mouth by stating that “most don’t like them”. It certainly didn’t apply to me - I liked OP’s idea. If I didn’t like it I would say so, but I would still respect the way they feel about it (even if they thought I was “dead wrong”, too).

And then lines like these

just go to show how little some people comprehend about game development - it requires balance. Changing one tiny thing can have catastrophic outcomes. Thought isn't being put into things like inflation and how throwing more materials and money and equipment and consumables affects the game's economy and player to player trading environment. Even having a simple commodity like EXP be a reward changes the game. There are other variables to consider such as time consumption, group content can last a long while, while our group was gathering at the dungeon entrance you finished your first kill 10 wolves quest (maybe even a second one!) and are already gaining EXP, items, consumables, and apparently even upgrades? That is literally the exact opposite of this game's philosophy, is it not?
Some major run-on sentences in there - let’s take a step back and breath a little. I think Xavure understands something very well…they’re a gamer who loves these games (and, more specifically, this one). Their opinion matters and they don’t have to understand end-to-end game development in order to share an idea about a game mechanic that they’ve already enjoyed in this exact game genre.

I don’t think anyone needs to rant about “what it takes” or “what the devs want” or even ”catastrophic outcomes” as we all understand the massive effort that has gone into this game and what these types of changes could mean. No one is threatening the very lifeblood of the game. I’d like to think that you’re not stating that the Embers team is not capable of implementing repeatable quests it in a way that isn’t game breaking…because I think they could, if they wanted to.

It's like I said before, the only way these types of quests fit the game are if the rewards are basically nothing, which then begs the question if they were ever worth wasting time creating in the first place.
They are worth it if they are enjoyed by a significant portion of the player base - of which includes me. So, I continue to respectfully disagree with you. I want you to know that it’s okay for us to disagree. I respect your very serious opinions on the matter, but understand that it’s just that…an opinion. At the end of the day, what’s being suggested is normal for this type of game and can be implemented without any of the negative or catastrophic outcomes you’ve divulged, here. That’s a fact, but don’t let it be unsettling.

Let’s just agree to disagree and leave it at the door. If repeatable quests never make it in, that’s fine - even if the devs say that it’s not their vision. I respect that. If they put them in, AWESOME! I’ll surely take part and be thankful that they took the time. That’s all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back