What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Healer aggro

Grue

So, lvl 10 (9 Sentinel). Group healing aggro is real. How does everyone deal with it? I've just been standing there waiting for someone to peel it off like a good EQ cleric is supposed to. So far that has worked at lower levels, but I think it only works cause I am able to heal through the dmg (with pots helping) long enough for the mob count to start dropping. However, this doesn't seem like a good strategy as it creates a positive feedback loop where I generate AoE aggro for a heal, consequently grabbing aggro of all the adds (and sometimes the main target) which forces me to spam heal myself, which creates more AoE aggro, etc...

How do I avoid aggro but still heal? Is this more the responsibility of tanks spreading threat around? Is this feedback from the game saying that the focus is on pulling singles? Will CC/lull come into play moreso later and reduce the likelihood of this scenario?

Thanks.

Healing aggro is real, however a good tank should be able to caught up on aggro real fast. The problem is the skill "Provoke" that Defender has. Every new player think it work like a normal taunt in other mmo, but it's not. This is an aggro builder utility, that needs to be use more often than not. As a Defender myself, I'm almost using it on every cooldown. Nobody knows that and it's not explained anywhere, so I think that is a big part of your issue.

1. Try to have the puller, pull further. Often, on a 3 pull, 2 will stop following if the puller can get enough distance. (double or triple your current pull distance)
2. Fearing the second mob helps for 6-8 seconds, until the first mob is killed. (sometimes you can get a second fear off)
3. Invest in armor and avoid items
4. I have a high combat movement. At times will run circles around the group with mobs chasing me, while the rest DPS the first mob down. Terrain sometimes help but can hurt you. Expect to take damage doing this. Often I will switch out of combat stance. I will try a quick heal, or a chant when the opportunity present itself.
5. Have food (and tea) going if you expect a big fight.
6. Drink potions to heal yourself, save the spell for others
7. Use a crossbow instead of a melee weapon. The Defender then can tell if the mob changes direction to attack you and you have a 1-2 seconds to react.

There is an odd thing about aggro, not sure if it is intentional or not, I can be doing nothing but standing there as healer, and the mob that got pulled by another team member. The mob then decides to change direction, run up and attack me. This occurs with no chants going or and chants going during the pull. This occurs when I have been standing the whole time. This occurs with no spell cast or attacks made on my part. Mobs will even run past others to attack me. Maybe they just like my face? Maybe the standard NPC tactics is, "Kill the healer"?

Reactions: CWB
Healing aggro is real, however a good tank should be able to caught up on aggro real fast. The problem is the skill "Provoke" that Defender has. Every new player think it work like a normal taunt in other mmo, but it's not. This is an aggro builder utility, that needs to be use more often than not. As a Defender myself, I'm almost using it on every cooldown. Nobody knows that and it's not explained anywhere, so I think that is a big part of your issue.
True story. I use this tactic and although it’s not a guarantee, it works. As a Knight, I have a defense buff for a defensive target, so I just leave the healer as my defensive target and when aggro gets out-of-control, it usually helps give me time to pull aggro back.

Reactions: CWB
1. Try to have the puller, pull further. Often, on a 3 pull, 2 will stop following if the puller can get enough distance. (double or triple your current pull distance)
Yes. This. I ask players to be down the corridor and around the corner. I pull with a kunai and book it (whenever possible).

2. Fearing the second mob helps for 6-8 seconds, until the first mob is killed. (sometimes you can get a second fear off)
IF you do #1 above, yes. Otherwise, classes with a lull/stun are just about a necessity.

3. Invest in armor and avoid items
Couldn’t hurt, but I’m not noticing a TON of help from armor. Might just be Too early for me. It helps in a noticeable way, I think, just doesn’t feel game-changing.

4. I have a high combat movement. At times will run circles around the group with mobs chasing me, while the rest DPS the first mob down. Terrain sometimes help but can hurt you. Expect to take damage doing this. Often I will switch out of combat stance. I will try a quick heal, or a chant when the opportunity present itself.
For a raid boss in a DIFFERENT game, sure. For general dungeon delving, should not be required since healers need to remain up-close to do their job in this game.

5. Have food (and tea) going if you expect a big fight.
Helps with downtime, but does it help DURING the fight? I guess I should pay better attention.

6. Drink potions to heal yourself, save the spell for others.
This gets expensive - and I have a great healer. I think it’s necessary, but it should be a last resort. I’ve been trying to do without.

7. Use a crossbow instead of a melee weapon. The Defender then can tell if the mob changes direction to attack you and you have a 1-2 seconds to react.
An option for some classes, perhaps, but not sure if it’s a good option for all - especially if we’re not discounting gameplay preference.

There is an odd thing about aggro, not sure if it is intentional or not, I can be doing nothing but standing there as healer, and the mob that got pulled by another team member. The mob then decides to change direction, run up and attack me. This occurs with no chants going or and chants going during the pull. This occurs when I have been standing the whole time. This occurs with no spell cast or attacks made on my part. Mobs will even run past others to attack me. Maybe they just like my face? Maybe the standard NPC tactics is, "Kill the healer"?
I know what you mean. If I use a kunai, the mob usually doesn’t veer from my character’s pull, BUT if I just walk up to aggro, the mob will switch to whoever is closest as I pull back. I think it makes more sense if the one who pulls by proximity/view of the mob (including calls) get a small value added to their aggro table for the one who pulled so that the mobs “stick” (but JUST a little bit, in case a non-tank accidentally pulls). If the value is low enough and the tank notices, one aggro-bility should pull them away (so long as the other player isn’t actively combatting the mob).

I’ve also noticed that if I pull with a kunai, I can get and (if I land my first aggro-bility) keep the mob, but any adds will divert to whoever is closest.

For now, one strategy for players could be to make sure you stop short of your other group members and ask them to wait until you’ve established (hit them all with “something”). Also, calling out the focus mob helps, starting with the lowest chevron and going to the highest. Basic stuff, but really only a work-around.

Back