What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Discovery > Striving> Achieving > loop ...

Fyredancer

Hey all :)

Embers means discovering things for oneself, with your own time & effort. (Whereas following a mini-map to a quest marker is following a track to someone else's previous discovery. Boring.)

That means striving to find it yourself, using eyes and brain, maybe a lil help from guildies. Not easy mode, must work, think, strive. Likely some stuff-ups on the way, some risk, maybe even a death.

So when you finally do discover that item / quests / location it's a real achievement - it was your own journey, your own solution. Your stuff-ups on the way are a part of the experience. YOU did it. No-one else.

So now you have grown and can go out to discover and achieve more, on-and-on ... my loop of addiction.

Much thought has been put into this game's design. Classes, skills, risk / reward. Professions and tiers fit nicely. Better than New World with 100 times the budget. Impressive.

The Stuff-Ups are important to the fun -

1. Risk/Reward. Well discussed.

2. Personalisation. The stuff-ups are personal.
I did Eye of Ibax first part with Nathan's public raid. Coming back to complete it with a wonderfully vague clue about an object in ruins. So I knew some ruins, went off and searched. Nope. Maybe over there ... nope. Those far ruins? Nope. Did I miss it back over there? No. Hours later ... OK then - ask in guild : "it's a few steps from first part" D'oh. Now that stuff-up is part of My Version of the Eye of Ibax quest. I remember it. I write in forums about it :) Players tell stories about their personal stuff-ups. We laugh.

3. We grow from stuff-ups.
After a stuff-up (recovering by the fire), we think how NOT to stuff-up next time. "OK, must do the sleep before the Ashen turns, then do the doodad first, and then whatsit attack next...". We get experienced enough NOT to stuff-up (at least not as often :) ) We learn. We feel good about getting better at it.

It's a sad sad situation ...
Popped in to LOTRO's Umbar with a friend. Much loved game and world. Click the ring, click accept, check the map, run to ring with a pew pew, click the ring, take the loot, click accept ... sudden shocking realisation : this is boring, had my fill of LOTRO, I wanna go play Embers.

To be honest I already felt that way about all but the Epic quests in Lotro :)
And New World
And WoW

However the games with minimal questing have always been the most immersive: UO, Darkfall, and even Lineage2.
Its funny how quests often make a game less immersive.

Back