What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

This game worth 40 on sale to 70 not on sale Canadian dollars ?

Ratbait

Im interested in this game but man it seems steep cost considering it has an option perk sub also,the Canadian to US conversion seems higher also for some reason.
Is it as good as a AA-AAA titles cost wise at this point ?

Im interested in this game but man it seems steep cost considering it has an option perk sub also,the Canadian to US conversion seems higher also for some reason.
Is it as good as a AA-AAA titles cost wise at this point ?
No.

Its better.
Much better.

And it's currently on sale.
If you can't get value out of this game you are not trying.

If you find another game where the dev team do this with you, buy it IMMEDIATELY.

Last edited:
After doing more research on the game I feel the cost is not justified and I dont really get it,unless the devs feel server cant handle more people so they price it high to just get the more old school dedicated MMO types "like me,played UO day 1 and beta tested EQ for over a year then played for 5yrs"who would be willing to experience that playstyle again and maximize the profit from them while keeping server from having fits.If thats the case I feel its a bad decision given the many many posts and videos of group finding troubles low player population in game etc I have seen.I feel halving the cost would bring alot more players willing to invest in a alpha/beta in a drop in drop out for a bit compacity between updates.At a cost higher than most brand new fully completed games thats a big ask for many people I imagine and its possibly hurting the existing player base also who did take the plunge and rely on grouping to have things to do are just logging in hopeing to see someone who wants to group,finding none and logging out.
Just my thoughts,I could be waaay off base with this its just the feeling I get after reading and youtubing info for the last few days.Its a not right now for me but a mabe later on if impressions change a bit after more updates.

I have more hours in Embers Adrift than in Diablo 4 and New World combined, if that is anything to go by.

Yes, the game costs money to play ... because it costs money to make and operate. Is it worth the money? At $25 US, there's no question that it is IMO. But everyone's mileage will vary.

If you are one of the many gamers who hates on the industry for including in-game stores and microtransactions and focusing on profits at the expense of good gameplay, then I think you'll like Ember's Adrift because it does none of those things. And as a bonus, you would be supporting better industry practices that can lead to better games being made in the future, like they used to once upon a time.

I have more hours in Embers Adrift than in Diablo 4 and New World combined, if that is anything to go by.

Yes, the game costs money to play ... because it costs money to make and operate. Is it worth the money? At $25 US, there's no question that it is IMO. But everyone's mileage will vary.

If you are one of the many gamers who hates on the industry for including in-game stores and microtransactions and focusing on profits at the expense of good gameplay, then I think you'll like Ember's Adrift because it does none of those things. And as a bonus, you would be supporting better industry practices that can lead to better games being made in the future, like they used to once upon a time.
See a part of my reluctance is the cost yes,but its more so the fact it appears to be creating a barrier of entry for many new players, and in a game that requires groups to advance the smaller population seems to be a serious hinderance.I dont think Id enjoy spending half my limited play time seeking a group and possibly just logging out of frustration.For a 20 dollar game and 10 dollars subscription its bareable,for a 70 dollar game with sub it seems not so much so.

It's definitely a group PvE game, which is what I was personally looking for, and I think it lives up to that mission very well.

Hard to advise you on whether or not you'll have problems grouping (that depends on a number of factors), but FWIW, you'll share timezones with US players, if you're in Canada, and that's where I see the most activity here. That means, you're going to have the best odds of getting into groups.

There's only one way to find out if it's actually a problem for you though and that's to try it. There may also be future free trials as well, which is how I got here.

Good luck!

p.s. The sub is optional. It gives you more storage space, additional character slots, more character portraits, faster healing at campfires, and maybe some other perks I can't recall.

Last edited:
Hold on, I just saw US$/Candian$ = 1.0/1.36.

Game is on sale for 24.99 US/ 33.98 Canadian.

Not sure how that is $70.00, but I'd say its worth $34 canadian / similar australian.

At the full not on sale price its over 70 dollars canadian,on sale there adding 5% gst and other taxes,the on sale cost is 39 something at the end.Now as per whats fair isnt really the question,common costs on small team early access titles is around 20-30 dollars,there may be higher outliers but thats the average if you look around.The question again is the fact higher cost for entry limits the total amounts of players which limits the chances of grouping/progressing.they can make the same amounts of money by bringing in more players,mabe more.As I said earlier tho mabe its an issue with server health that they dont want more cause it possibly cant handle more so there maximizing there profit on small numbers for server capacity health and costs.My issue isnt money, I waste so much on games its silly,my problem tho comes from the value and fun I get from the money spent,over 30 plus years MMOing Ive learned that server populations are more important than anything else in an MMO,you need people to play with,I just feel that would be less of an issue if they halved there price of entry.

I respectfully disagree with you @Ratbait - We have no microtransactions, no cash shop, we offer our game for already a very modest price (sorry that players outside USA have to pay some extra taxes though, there is unfortunately nothing we can do about it at this day and that money goes to your governement, not us, as you probably know) and our monthly subscription is optional. Yet we do not compensate with extra expenses on the back of our players.

You will have to decide for yourself if it's worth your money. Only you can decide. You would be very welcome in our community if you decided to join. But you can also wait our next FREE WEEKEND

We are a dedicated team of 12 devs (or less considering I'm not really a dev) working our best to offer an unique experience to our players and staying ethical in our practice. Despite our modest means and our pocket team, we release updates every months and engage daily with our player base.
I invite you to check our content creators to see if the game is something you could enjoy. It is certainly NOT A GAME for everyone and certain players will not enjoy themselves in Embers Adrift. But those that are seeking a classic/old school experience are usually satisfied with our game. Have a look at @thenathannapalm content, he has plenty of videos about the game or my own video 5 Reasons To Play

Note: Our servers are very stable and can handle a nice load of players.

Last edited:
I respectfully disagree with you @Ratbait - We have no microtransactions, no cash shop, we offer our game for already a very modest price (sorry that players outside USA have to pay some extra taxes though, there is unfortunately nothing we can do about it at this day and that money goes to your governement, not us, as you probably know) and our monthly subscription is optional. Yet we do not compensate with extra expenses on the back of our players.

You will have to decide for yourself if it's worth your money. Only you can decide. You would be very welcome in our community if you decided to join. But you can also wait our next FREE WEEKEND

We are a dedicated team of 12 devs (or less considering I'm not really a dev) working our best to offer an unique experience to our players and staying ethical in our practice. Despite our modest means and our pocket team, we release updates every months and engage daily with our player base.
I invite you to check our content creators to see if the game is something you could enjoy. It is certainly NOT A GAME for everyone and certain players will not enjoy themselves in Embers Adrift. But those that are seeking a classic/old school experience are usually satisfied with our game. Have a look at @thenathannapalm content, he has plenty of videos about the game or my own video 5 Reasons To Play

Note: Our servers are very stable and can handle a nice load of players.
Hey there ty for replying, yes I have watched alot of Nathans video and yours also,I feel my reluctance to dive in is being misconstrued, its not the cost per se, its cost vs player count and how important population is to an MMO of this type, posts on this very board are relaying my exact issue, its very possible given the economic times were in is deterring players from joining,I personally would have already bought and played at the current price point if population was high.The risk of joining to ultimately not find groups and piddle around then just log off doesnt seem to be worth the price point.
All replys so far have not once addressed that issue, nor seem to realise my point is, low cost may bring more people which brings more chances of finding groups etc.
It seems odd no one is favor of higher populations ,the possible perk subs alone would off set the lower entry cost, unless as I stated the server mabe cant handle more so there maximizing there revenue off fewer bodies for server health, in which case thats fine but for the sake of the players who log in then log out 20 mins later cause theres no one around mabe explain to them the reason why.

Hold on, I just saw US$/Candian$ = 1.0/1.36.

Game is on sale for 24.99 US/ 33.98 Canadian.

Not sure how that is $70.00, but I'd say its worth $34 canadian / similar australian.
It should be 33.98 but its 37.50 or something + tax so a 50% increase from USD not 36%. I think that's what the original post question was asking. No idea who they use the sell there product threw but It feels like USD to Canadian dollar conversion when buying any product not just Embers is always 40% or higher. We Canadians getting f'd. At least that's what I have noticed over the years. USD to Canadian always seems higher then it should be.

Games develop a smell when they hit maintenance mode.
While it was quiet in August with northern summer and BG3 it has never had that smell imo.

I get it, its time invested and opportunity cost.
I suggest you grab a copy on sale, commit to X hours, then decide.

I'm probably getting close to 1000 hours now (half a working year) and have no regrets.
It's about the fun you have when you are online.

If you just want to be led, there are options, particularly in the US timezones.
If you are prepared to make the extra effort a group will grow around you.
Perhaps I'm niave but I don't see that being a problem.

There are probably 3 months left in the current roadmap then we can expect another.
You can wait until then, or jump in over Christmas.
Your call.

I posted 3 Embers streams last week, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday night aussie time.
Each time we started with 2 people and had 6 within a short time.
Each of those 3 hour windows felt well spent.

1701064966981.png
Yuk

1701065016468.png

Last edited:
I can tell you right now this is wrong but it also depends on where you are. The point of HST (H=harmonized) is to 'group together' the PST and GST, so HST (harmonized, or combined) = PST (provincial) + General (federal), and thus you will never have HST, PST, and GST together on the same tax layout. No province anywhere uses HST, PST, and GST together as separate, identifiable taxes.

BC for example has PST and GST and the total is 12%, whereas Ontario has only HST but the total is 13%.

Here is a website if you really want to dig into Canadian taxes a bit.

Last edited:
Hey hey @Ratbait
You are right in your point. Lowering the cost of our game bring in more players. Which is why we did already lowered our game price from 49$ to 39$ last year, and whilst we planed to have a monthly sub of 15$ per month that we kept it at 10$ and then we made that monthly sub optional in July.
So we already have cut down our possible revenues quite a lot already for the exact reasons you are describing.

Related to the population, we do have indeed a small community. This have good sides and less good sides. One of the good side is that everyone know each others. The community is friendly and we have very little dramas. One of the bad sides, is that in some time of the day and for some level range there is less players. But we do compensate that with friendlist, guilds, and events in game.
I do play the game and organise groups every TUE, WED, THU and sometimes more.

I hope to have given you a fair vision of the game, so you can make your own opinion.
We will certainly have other FREE WEEKEND in future. Keep an eye on us! THANK YOU for your interest and your questions.

Ty again for the reply,just so you know all my concerns are coming from a good place,I truly am interested in the game and I am quite sure I will purchase it in the future. I wish you all the best,the MMO genre desperately needs this style of MMO with all the modern graphics and animations tacked on to move it forward and seperate its self from the older like minded MMOs that have been around for 20 ish years.
Have an incredible Holidays upcoming,see you soon.

Ty again for the reply,just so you know all my concerns are coming from a good place,I truly am interested in the game and I am quite sure I will purchase it in the future. I wish you all the best,the MMO genre desperately needs this style of MMO with all the modern graphics and animations tacked on to move it forward and seperate its self from the older like minded MMOs that have been around for 20 ish years.
Have an incredible Holidays upcoming,see you soon.
I would advise playing during one of the free events. I did, and ended up really enjoying/buying it. The full price in CAD seems high, but the sale price is very reasonable in my opinion.

Hope to see you in game!

I will say (as a new player myself) I have been very surprised by how many people are running around. It doesn't feel like a low population at all, and I've had no problem finding groups (currently level 13 I think).

Depends on if your the type who wants to invest in the idea and future of the project or something you can sink your teeth into now and enjoy. I’m an idea investor so I did. Regular player count is around 50 - 70 pretty useless crafting system but deep enough(most people craft their own items) and somewhere around 40 quests that give no xp(some give decent gear upgrades).

Back