What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Prepping for the Trial

Renamis

I know it's a ways off, but I've had my eye on this game, and with the news I'm kind of excited.

Slower Paced Combat ✓
Limited need for keybinds ✓
New IP I've never played before✓

It has a lot of things I really wish for in an MMO. Games have either moved on from tab-targeting, or have become ability bloated. I've longed for days of a "one action bar" game.

The main struggle I have with most MMOs is fitting in actually performing. I'm absolute garbage at systems mastery, and have probably played every class in any game I've tried wrong.

I generally look for the simple classes/specs because I'm more in it for the shared experience. I would also add lower APM, but I don't think that's going to be an issue here.

The thing is, I can't really have the specializations beyond a surface level. It's hard for me to look at A and say, yeah, that'd be easier than B. I can only look at broad concepts like "Wardens tend to kite sometimes, and I've traditionally been garbage at that." Healing in an MMO has generally also been off the table for me. I've tried twice, and despite being told it was "easy," failed every time.

Couldn't tell you what the real issue is. I know I have some cognitive problems, but that's about it. I mainly just want to pal around with people for the experience of just that. Maybe something cool will happen while we do.

The biggest hurdle right now is character creation. I'm not sure where to go with it.

I'd start with a striker class, at worst you can always "forget" you are striker later, keep your gathering skills and learn to be a support (healer) or defender (tank).
And every time you are on your character select screen, you can change details of your character creation.

Just get the name right, I think that is the only non-changeable thing.
You won't be able to renam is all ;)

People are nice here, just enjoy the ride :)

Last edited:
I agree with Marcus, best bet is a striker class. If you really like basic, then perhaps Berserker is for you. No offense intended to the Zerks in game, we love you! But basically, your job is to do as much damage as possible. Zerks do this very well. You don't have to worry about doing anything else other than doing damage. You won't be asked to pull, tank, heal or crowd control just stand there and pump out that damage! Oh and best of all unlike in many games strikers (aka damage dealers) can get groups fairly easily in Embers Adrift.

I agree with Marcus, best bet is a striker class. If you really like basic, then perhaps Berserker is for you. No offense intended to the Zerks in game, we love you! But basically, your job is to do as much damage as possible. Zerks do this very well. You don't have to worry about doing anything else other than doing damage. You won't be asked to pull, tank, heal or crowd control just stand there and pump out that damage! Oh and best of all unlike in many games strikers (aka damage dealers) can get groups fairly easily in Embers Adrift.
That said Zerkers Intimidate is wildly underappreciated. I started my Zerk recently and if you understand aggro and social mechanics intimidate is crazy good. You also get it 4 levels before wardens get lull.

That said Zerkers Intimidate is wildly underappreciated. I started my Zerk recently and if you understand aggro and social mechanics intimidate is crazy good. You also get it 4 levels before wardens get lull.
And if you hit ALT and mouse over the Intimidate skill you'll quickly understand its range.

That may be because a) it's unreliable, especially in areas where the surfaces are not level, and b) other skills are considerably more practical or just better at killing things quickly. I've found this to be especially true as you get to higher levels.

Berserker Motto: Why avoid things when you can just crush them instead?

Players who learn to use intimidate will solo much better and faster. Once you get the hang of it, they can be good pullers. It's just common sense, intimidate the area and anything not affected should be the ones you pull. Groups should be able to handle 2 even if there's a slip up.

Also even if you get 3, most times zerkers can off tank very well using Guts and burn a 3^ down to half hp while the group kills one off.

Can't go wrong with a zerker class. They are very well rounded. Lull, burst, sustained damage with fury and follow through, guts for 55% damage reduction, lots of attack boost, AoE, stuns with alchemy etc.

I'd start with a striker class, at worst you can always "forget" you are striker later, keep your gathering skills and learn to be a support (healer) or defender (tank).
And every time you are on your character select screen, you can change details of your character creation.

Hold on - does this mean I can change my class without levelling a new character - similar to how jobs work in FF XIV (not that I've ever played it - it's just what I've heard)?

I thought it was "once a supporter, always a supporter" and from level 6 on "once a Warlord, always a Warlord".

I've met "vendors" in the beginner zone who offer some class related services which I didn't quite understand - can I change classes with them?

And if so, does this only work up to a certain level or does it work regardless of level? Are there any other restrictions?

Hold on - does this mean I can change my class without levelling a new character - similar to how jobs work in FF XIV (not that I've ever played it - it's just what I've heard)?

I thought it was "once a supporter, always a supporter" and from level 6 on "once a Warlord, always a Warlord".

I've met "vendors" in the beginner zone who offer some class related services which I didn't quite understand - can I change classes with them?

And if so, does this only work up to a certain level or does it work regardless of level? Are there any other restrictions?
Just to confirm, you can "forget" your current classes, which sets them back to initial levels.

For example: a 12 defender/12 juggernaut can forget the jugger and become 12 defender / <nil subclass> redo the subclass quest and become a 12 defender / 6 marshall.

However, the 12 defender / <nil subclass> can also become a 1 supporter by forgetting their defenderness.

In fact, I did it for a character today.
Rerolled my 17 striker/brigand as a defender/juggernaut.

As I said before, even if they do the above they keep the crafting and gathering levels.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Okay, I have to ask you one more time because I still don't quite understand one detail.

If I wanted to change my profession, I would probably just have to craft to bring my new profession up to the previous level.

But how exactly does this work in terms of (sub)classes?

I assume that I have to gain experience by completing quests and killing monsters in order to level up my new subclass?

But that would mean that the level of my (new) subclass would always lag behind my (old) base class - until I reach the maximum level and the subclass finally catches up, right?

And in your case, your character was practically back to zero (or more precisely: one), since you not only changed the subclass but also the base class.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to simply level a new character - or did you grow so fond of your character (or didn't want to lose your crafting progress)?

Also, since you already did all the quests up to level 17, I assume you now have to grind by simply killing mobs?

- I didn't want to lose my crafting progress
- It's my 5th character on this account
- While the class and subclass are out of synch, the subclass levels twice as fast as the class, so it catches up over time.
- Not being able to redo the quests is a bit of a blow, but I'm in the position to compensate for the items lost with stored loot drops and crafted items, so yes I'm just focusing on tasks and killing mobs until I get back to 17ish.

cheers

Just to confirm, you can "forget" your current classes, which sets them back to initial levels.

For example: a 12 defender/12 juggernaut can forget the jugger and become 12 defender / <nil subclass> redo the subclass quest and become a 12 defender / 6 marshall.

However, the 12 defender / <nil subclass> can also become a 1 supporter by forgetting their defenderness.

In fact, I did it for a character today.
Rerolled my 17 striker/brigand as a defender/juggernaut.

As I said before, even if they do the above they keep the crafting and gathering levels.

Hope that helps.
One of us! One of us!

Back