What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

QA November 13th

Undone

Codemaster
Stormhaven Studios
It's new QA time!
  • Fixed a number of stuck spots all over
  • Moved a number of toggles from the "Gameplay" to "Interface" tab of the options menu
  • Added a new "Thread Count" slider to the Gameplay options tab. This defaults to 75% of your available cores-1 (1 is reserved for the main thread). Increasing this value makes more cores available to the engine, while decreasing it reduces it. I would love to hear how adjustments to this impact performance for everyone.
  • Grizzled Peak work. Not currently accessible by players
  • Reduced nameplate overhead while they are off screen.
  • Added a "Quest Mute" feature that allows you to mute notifications from quests. In the lower right of the quest log you will find a toggle for each individual quest.
  • Added zone line indicators to maps.
  • Crabs and Scorpions can now turn Ashen.
  • Fixed Eagle Eye alchemy duration to match the base skill.
  • Fixed Inner Fire Alchemy II not applying to unconscious players.
  • Fixed Rangers Guild Pendant quest reward to match levels of other rewards.
  • Added an additional rupture spawn near the Dryfoot zone line in Grimstone.
  • Enabled skinning for Ridgebacks
  • Replaced weapon racks in Newhaven Valley with boxes of weapons.
  • When DLSS or Resolution Scaling is enabled overhead nameplates will now switch to UI space. This fixes issues with nameplate artifacting when either of these options is enabled. The switch is not seamless as the scaling still needs some tweaking, and given that this is a different rendering method you may notice some slightly different behaviors. However, this should be a huge improvement over the previous iteration so please give this a try again!
  • Killed creatures that do not turn Ashen now have a chance to give 1 Essence on their death (this excludes Humanoids as they cannot turn Ashen). If the creature cons white the chance is 100% while if they con the lowest green (-10) the chance is 10%, and anywhere in between is interpolated between the two values. This method of acquiring Essence is capped at 50; if your stone has more than 50 Essence any non-Ashen kills will give 0 Essence. This is entirely experimental and depending on your feedback this may or may not make it into live. The idea here is that you still have to put in work to earn Essence and can better sustain yourselves outside of EVs. Constructive feedback here is appreciated!

• Killed creatures that do not turn Ashen now have a chance to give 1 Essence on their death (this excludes Humanoids as they cannot turn Ashen). If the creature cons white the chance is 100% while if they con the lowest green (-10) the chance is 10%, and anywhere in between is interpolated between the two values. This method of acquiring Essence is capped at 50; if your stone has more than 50 Essence any non-Ashen kills will give 0 Essence. This is entirely experimental and depending on your feedback this may or may not make it into live. The idea here is that you still have to put in work to earn Essence and can better sustain yourselves outside of EVs. Constructive feedback here is appreciated!
I suspect some people won't be happy with the caps and factors, but I'm extremely happy to see this added.
Bravo.

I suspect some people won't be happy with the caps and factors, but I'm extremely happy to see this added.
Bravo.
If you're farming to unlock your skills you will benefit from this. Later on, it may need to be tweaked when everyone has AA2 unlocked because you will most likely sit on the full side of your Emberstone once you get there. Overall more EE Is welcomed, hope they keep coming up with stuff like this.

• Added zone line indicators to maps.

Cool. Are these unlocked with the portion of the map that contains them?

• Enabled skinning for Ridgebacks

Very cool. Down the road, having shells as an additional crafting material would be a nice touch too.

This is a welcome change. I think this is implied in what you said, but I do want to confirm: When you say "creatures that do not turn Ashen" you mean only those creatures that otherwise would have had a chance to (turn Ashen), correct?

• When DLSS or Resolution Scaling is enabled overhead nameplates will now switch to UI space. This fixes issues with nameplate artifacting when either of these options is enabled. The switch is not seamless as the scaling still needs some tweaking, and given that this is a different rendering method you may notice some slightly different behaviors. However, this should be a huge improvement over the previous iteration so please give this a try again!

Thanks for continuing to work on this. The potential benefits are too great to ignore.

Cheers!

Cool. Are these unlocked with the portion of the map that contains them?
Yeap! They are hidden under the fog. At least they should be...

This is a welcome change. I think this is implied in what you said, but I do want to confirm: When you say "creatures that do not turn Ashen" you mean only those creatures that otherwise would have had a chance to (turn Ashen), correct?
Correct. Basically any creature that is eligible to turn ashen. From the other angle this excludes humanoids and named mobs.

Thanks for continuing to work on this. The potential benefits are too great to ignore.
Hopefully it's a lot better experience! I still expect there to be some ghosting but that's DLSS for ya.

Yeap! They are hidden under the fog. At least they should be...

Correct. Basically any creature that is eligible to turn ashen. From the other angle this excludes humanoids and named mobs.

Hopefully it's a lot better experience! I still expect there to be some ghosting but that's DLSS for ya.
Oh hold on, are you saying the +1 EE change only applies to mobs within 200m of Rifts, 50 metres of EV's and mobs in EV's that didn't turn ashen but could have?

I'm confused what the term eligible to turn ashen means.

Does it mean:
- any creature that can turn ashen OR
- any creature that can turn ashen and is within an area where creatures do turn ashen?

Hoping it's the former but not sure now.

------------------------------------------
About to start testing.

Results: On my Level 16 brigand that does have an emberstone, but obviously doesn't have alchemy.
- killing white mobs anywhere on the map does NOT give +1 EE
- killing a white emberfly in range of a rift (that did not turn ashen) did NOT give me +1 EE

Note: I had between 75 and 95 EE when doing this test, so yeh it could not work.
Will need to test again tomorrow on a character that can spend EE more easily.

Last edited:
  • Added a new "Thread Count" slider to the Gameplay options tab. This defaults to 75% of your available cores-1 (1 is reserved for the main thread). Increasing this value makes more cores available to the engine, while decreasing it reduces it. I would love to hear how adjustments to this impact performance for everyone.

Does the game require a restart for this, I'm not seeing any difference in my PC's Resource Monitor.

Oh hold on, are you saying the +1 EE change only applies to mobs within 200m of Rifts, 50 metres of EV's and mobs in EV's that didn't turn ashen but could have?

I'm confused what the term eligible to turn ashen means.

Does it mean:
- any creature that can turn ashen OR
- any creature that can turn ashen and is within an area where creatures do turn ashen?

Hoping it's the former but not sure now.
It's the former. I just mean that a mob that CAN turn ashen IF it were near a Rupture. I need to think of a better way to describe this.

Results: On my Level 16 brigand that does have an emberstone, but obviously doesn't have alchemy.
- killing white mobs anywhere on the map does NOT give +1 EE
- killing a white emberfly in range of a rift (that did not turn ashen) did NOT give me +1 EE

Note: I had between 75 and 95 EE when doing this test, so yeh it could not work.
Will need to test again tomorrow on a character that can spend EE more easily.
Yeap, over 50 = no essence.

Does the game require a restart for this, I'm not seeing any difference in my PC's Resource Monitor.
This just changes the number of available cores to the job system. If your computer isn't using them you won't notice a performance difference.

It's the former. I just mean that a mob that CAN turn ashen IF it were near a Rupture. I need to think of a better way to describe this.

Yeap, over 50 = no essence.

This just changes the number of available cores to the job system. If your computer isn't using them you won't notice a performance difference.
oh PHEW.
Will test again soon.

I was running Resource Monitor and not seeing any difference on all 4 cores whether it was switched on or off, hence wondering if it required a restart.

Back