What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

New player questions (controllers, needed jobs.. ect)

Zanfire

Hi all,

Just picked up the game since it hit B2P. Was a long time FFXI player and those sort of slower old school MMOs are hard to find (keep getting sucked into classic private servers). Wanted to give this a shot since it has some of those features and is now B2P.

My first question is if anyone got a controller scheme working for the game. I love playing with a controller on the slower MMOs. I have wrist pain occasionally so it's tougher to spend a ton of time at the m/kb. I'm guessing you can stick the game in steam and customize there? I don't mind partially using m/kb, but more often I'd like to relax w/ controller.

Edit: saw the post and video with the controller setup in here. Gonna give that a shot since I played both 11 and 14 so that setup seems the most familiar.

Second question is if there is a shortage of a certain class/role that people often look for? I often play hybrid jobs (dps/support) like troubador/FFXI redmage-bluemage-Dragoon using mage sub.. ect. If nothing is needed what would be the best fit? I've mainly been looking at Warlord/Duelist/Warden. Any suggestions?

Hi all,

Just picked up the game since it hit B2P. Was a long time FFXI player and those sort of slower old school MMOs are hard to find (keep getting sucked into classic private servers). Wanted to give this a shot since it has some of those features and is now B2P.

My first question is if anyone got a controller scheme working for the game. I love playing with a controller on the slower MMOs. I have wrist pain occasionally so it's tougher to spend a ton of time at the m/kb. I'm guessing you can stick the game in steam and customize there? I don't mind partially using m/kb, but more often I'd like to relax w/ controller.

Edit: saw the post and video with the controller setup in here. Gonna give that a shot since I played both 11 and 14 so that setup seems the most familiar.

Second question is if there is a shortage of a certain class/role that people often look for? I often play hybrid jobs (dps/support) like troubador/FFXI redmage-bluemage-Dragoon using mage sub.. ect. If nothing is needed what would be the best fit? I've mainly been looking at Warlord/Duelist/Warden. Any suggestions?
Not sure about controller setups, I am a mouse keyboard guy. But as far as the second question strangely enough I see quite a few groups looking for the Striker classes later on in the game. All the classes are wanted in groups though so you really can't go wrong. All three of the classes you mentioned are solid classes and would have very little issues finding a group.

Not sure about controller setups, I am a mouse keyboard guy. But as far as the second question strangely enough I see quite a few groups looking for the Striker classes later on in the game. All the classes are wanted in groups though so you really can't go wrong. All three of the classes you mentioned are solid classes and would have very little issues finding a group.
Wow that's very surprising to see that DPS classes are the ones needed/lacking, normally they are competing for group slots.

Of the support classes, which would you say leans more into DPS vs heal?

Wow that's very surprising to see that DPS classes are the ones needed/lacking, normally they are competing for group slots.

Of the support classes, which would you say leans more into DPS vs heal?
Warlord for DPS. Sentinel for healing. I really liked the Duelist though due to it's ability to solo when I needed to. The Duelist can solo pretty well and still be viable as a healer in groups. If your preference is healing in a group then Sentinel. For assisting a group through buffing and fighting then the Warlord is your best bet. And finally if you want to be able to dish out some damage as well as heal some then the Duelist.

Last edited:
This is based on hearsay, but if you want the healer that requires the least button hitting, I think you want a warlord.
I hear duelist can also group heal so may be an option.
Sentinel is my choice because it can tank a little, it can debuff enemy damage, it can reduce enemy armour, but I think it takes more clicks per minute.

Please note, you can "forget" your subclass and take up another, and the subclass levels up at about 3X ish as fast as the main class, so in a few levels you have caught back up.
So try them all, perhaps try your least favourite first *shrugs*

Welcome :)

Last edited:
Maybe we should start a post about what a controller scheme would look like.

Just from the one class I've played, I'm seeing a distinct need to cycle through all party members quickly as well as nearby enemies, distant enemies for the CC classes, and decently quick access to the extended tool kit, potions and salt and such.

However, I'm optimistic it could be done, as we have two major elements on our team; the pace of the game obviously, and the Limited Action Set. Might have to suffer through some silliness, heaven forbid a "mouse joystick" *shudder*, during shopping trips, but the core seems doable.

It's a little on the pricey side but highly customizable. It might just be what you are looking for. You can look at the specs and price on Amazon.

Victrix Pro BFG Wireless Gaming Controller​

It's a little on the pricey side but highly customizable. It might just be what you are looking for. You can look at the specs and price on Amazon.

Victrix Pro BFG Wireless Gaming Controller​

Well, it isn't so much about the controller model but the software interface and game structure. Cause even a PS2 controller immediately has like 32 buttons easily available plus aiming and walking (just use bumpers as modifiers).

What really matters is how the game accepts say, viewport movement commands, or how it cycles "next enemy." So basically any modern PC-usable controller will work. I prefer the XBox One, myself. Very smooth.

Last edited:
If you ever need help you can add me on discord (worstbotna) if you wanna talk controller stuff we spent awhile trying to make it feel really good and it all comes down to personal choices in the end and muscle memory.

We had 3 people using it from 1-13ish before we stopped playing because i started playing ffxi again. We played a dps (brigand), healers(warlord) and a tank(marshal)

I personally felt really comfortable on marshal and brigand when on a controller never tried to heal with it.

For healing I just couldn't get it to my liking in terms of button capacity but as long as there is no other friendly near by you won't have a problem.

But hopefully you like what I posted back in April and I did post a 2nd configure we were working on which allows you to do everything with controller minus splitting stacks and a few other things I can't think off the top of my head.

I did some set up similar to what I was kinda used to from FFXI. I swapped off Duelist to Warlord because healing with a controller was rough. Being able to just hit a buff button was much easier.

I always get way too sucked into XI on the private servers. The horizons one is pretty great, but I had to stop myself.

Back