What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Magda Grey questline lost - no warning

Chylok

A few days ago, after Magda Grey's questline was introduced in the city, I permanently lost the ability to receive this questline because of text choice within the dialogue. Magda wants to give you 10 silver to find her husband in Meadowlands; there is an option to ask for more/negotiate. So, being the Brigand that I am.. I thought surely I can get a better deal and "haggle" with her... wrong. Without any warning the quest has closed for me; and anyone else that wants to roleplay their class a little bit.

Now, I have been through other quests doing all favors and still it remains closed. How is it possible that such a large questline in the Meadowlands, where I am questing, can simply be blocked?? Honestly? No warning of any sort and no chance to "reaquire" the quest?

Another quest where you have to find or make a fake mustache so you can disguise yourself in order to get Magda's quest again.

Well, I've returned from vacation and have acquired a "Turnip Head" to disguise myself in an attempt to finally get the Magda questline to open... still no luck.

Honestly, it cannot be possible that such a major questline can be lost right?

I did the same and got blocked from the questline :( i do hope they add another way to do it or have it reset after a day or so.

Would it blow your minds to know that the Missing Apprentice quest has two branches, with dfiferent rewards along the way depending on which branch you take.

No way you can get both sets of rewards.

Would it blow your minds to know that the Missing Apprentice quest has two branches, with dfiferent rewards along the way depending on which branch you take.

No way you can get both sets of rewards.
Yes, it is fairly well known.

Regarding the Magda quest, there is a an option to ask for more money - which as I mentioned in the first post, I decided to select and finally RP my brigand a little. The difference is quite significant. We are talking about losing the primary questline for adventuring in the Meadowlands. If you do not see that as highly significant and potentially "game breaking" for some.. well whatever. I've helped the Rangers, completed Krenner's tasks, helped the deputy, recovered the weapon caches and all the other "goodie goodie" tasks for the entire regions and not even a disguise can help? Seriously? Even the option to make a "contribution" to her struggle in a coin payment would at least allow access to the quest and an important part of the game.

Pigeonholing players into decisions that they must make to continue with the lore is a major oversight.. especially when there is no alternative way to "re-acquire" the quest.

I wouldn't call it the primary questline in Meadowlands; there are other significant quests that start in that zone.

The point I'm making is that the quest line was not blocked for you, but you choose a branch that didn't have the outcome you later realised you wanted.

I wouldn't call it the primary questline in Meadowlands; there are other significant quests that start in that zone.

The point I'm making is that the quest line was not blocked for you, but you choose a branch that didn't have the outcome you later realised you wanted.
Agreed; it wasn't "blocked" for me. Unfortunately, I think you are missing the broader point here.

We've both known that in the "testing days" there wasn't much to do beyond Northreach, quest-wise, and understandably so - the team had a LOT on their plates with optimizing the game. The point here is that being forced to make certain decisions, without any alternative method to continue this "major questline/lore thread" (no longer primary, point taken) should be looked into. Wearing a disguise, such as the "Turnip Mask," or whatever the developers feel would fit the lore (maybe a crafting disguise) would not only add to the flexibility of being able to make RP decisions in the text prompts - which I believe are there intentionally, but also go a long ways toward playability. Remember, up to this point we are the hero of the entire region.

To clarify; no where in this thread have I ever mentioned missing out on loot or rewards. This is specifically about being pigeonholed into having to make a specific decision.. or else, and that or else is losing a major lore piece.

This is specifically about being pigeonholed into having to make a specific decision.. or else, and that or else is losing a major lore piece.

Same thing happened to me when I finished the quest. I asked for more money, and didn't get the additional content. It happens, but I'm not upset because the Devs did warn that quest choices will have consequences and some of those consequences might result in unwanted outcomes.

I'm sorry you feel pigeonholed, but no one is assigning you to be "goodie goodie" character. The whole reason they give you dialogue choices in the first place is so that you aren't pigeonholed. Lots of games don't even give you the option to choose a mercenary behavior.

Maybe in the future, greedy dialogue choices will get interesting rewards. I'm not sure what the "major lore piece" is that you're so distraught over losing, but I guarantee you there will be other quests and other ways to experience the lore.

I appreciate that this game allows players to make choices and sometimes get bad outcomes. That's life.

If you’re roleplaying as a thug would it be completely unreasonable for the NPC to not want to do business with you now? I can’t think of any games where it tells you ahead of time if a choice will have a negative consequence. Then once it happens that’s it unless you load an old save or start over. I’m not saying this game should be that punishing, but maybe that’s what they’re going for.

I think it’s fair to be unhappy and want another outcome or a do over or something so I don’t think you’re in the wrong. If what I said is in fact what they were going for then they should probably add another option like a secondary quest from another NPC to do business with instead, to provide a path for more unsavory characters.

Being completely locked out without warning is frustrating.

If you’re roleplaying as a thug would it be completely unreasonable for the NPC to not want to do business with you now? I can’t think of any games where it tells you ahead of time if a choice will have a negative consequence. Then once it happens that’s it unless you load an old save or start over. I’m not saying this game should be that punishing, but maybe that’s what they’re going for.

I think it’s fair to be unhappy and want another outcome or a do over or something so I don’t think you’re in the wrong. If what I said is in fact what they were going for then they should probably add another option like a secondary quest from another NPC to do business with instead, to provide a path for more unsavory characters.

Being completely locked out without warning is frustrating.
Agreed 100%. Again, this thread was and IS NOT a "oh I missed out on reward X or Y," and now I am not happy.

The simple fact is that not having an alternative way to acquire this quest-line, and the subsequent lore, or even your great idea of adding a path for "unsavory characters," should be looked at by the development team. And regardless.. it is a significant quest-line for characters in ML; there is no getting around that fact.

The simple fact is that not having an alternative way to acquire this quest-line, and the subsequent lore, or even your great idea of adding a path for "unsavory characters," should be looked at by the development team. And regardless.. it is a significant quest-line for characters in ML; there is no getting around that fact.

So basically you're asking for all quests with branches to be removed.

You should be equally unhappy about the Missing Apprentice quest. Depending on which branch you took you've missed out on some lore of the other branch.

I wonded about the Raw Potential quest. Have you done that one yet. I won't go into any details but it seems there are at least 3 ways to open the dialog with the NPC. What lore are you missing on the two options you don't choose.

So basically you're asking for all quests with branches to be removed.

You should be equally unhappy about the Missing Apprentice quest. Depending on which branch you took you've missed out on some lore of the other branch.

I wonded about the Raw Potential quest. Have you done that one yet. I won't go into any details but it seems there are at least 3 ways to open the dialog with the NPC. What lore are you missing on the two options you don't choose.
Honestly, you cannot still be missing the broader point here - right?

I'll reply to your reply this last time because it's starting to become "trollish." I have done and completed the raw potential quest, along with the apprentice and I agree that they have outcomes that vary. You can, hopefully, understand the difference between that and ZERO outcome.. right? There is no alternative currently. See, you seem stuck on this being some sort of reward issue, it is not. Perhaps reading the opening post might help you with that.

During testing we provided feedback to the developers on a significant amount of issues.. well, this is one. As VelFaern mentioned earlier, there are new things being added all the time and that being factual it is why I have started this thread.

And "basically" I am not asking for all quests with branches to be removed (that's quite a leap you've taken). o_O

Not trolling, just disagreeing with your point because you're making assumptions that you don't know whether they are correct or not.

You used phrases such as "primary questline" and "highly significant and game breaking"; you talked about missing out on lore. Maybe not loot or a 'reward' as such, but you certainly sound as though you feel slighted by this quest result.

Why can't a quest have a zero outcome?

Why does there have to be an alternative

Last edited:
idk, see, I love that there are different outcomes, but if asking for more coin means I get no reward or story/lore…I mean, I can see how that would be frustrating. Going down a different reward path, sure, give me a different reward, that’s fine. Knock me out of the quest line and give me nothing…? Personally, I think that’s too harsh EVEN IF it’s true that quests should have options that branch/twist in different ways.

One thing I will say is that it’s completely understandable to offer choice, but with quest lines being a little sparse and loot just as sparse, locking players out of options to gear up or enjoy the stories of the world seems like a bad play.

Not trolling, just disagreeing with your point because you're making assumptions that you don't know whether they are correct or not.

You used phrases such as "primary questline" and "highly significant and game breaking"; you talked about missing out on lore. Maybe not loot or a 'reward' as such, but you certainly sound as though you feel slighted by this quest result.

Why can't a quest have a zero outcome?

Why does there have to be an alternative
Honestly, you’re right, there doesn’t HAVE to be a reward - that’s life. Having a zero outcome options means being a Brigand has its downsides - even from an RP perspective. I can respect that stance, 100%.

I guess, as I consider the game as a whole, it feels a little too limiting for the current content availability. Limiting is…perhaps not the right objective at this phase from an early, current-state gameplay perspective. /shrug

Respect for the hardcore stance. Understanding for those who feel slighted/cheated w/o warning/knowing they’d be cut off.

youre not missing much, the questline for most is frustratingly locked behind a fairly low drop chance quest item and the reward is something you likely will just vendor the second you get it. If it was truly an important questline there wouldn't be an option that locked you out of it.

Back