What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

I want to buy this game...

Apotheosis

But I don't think I will.

I've thrown enough money at video games, beta products, and even art in my 32 years of existence only for them to be put away and never used again that the $30 price tag on this, "unknown-wonder," doesn't deter me.

The problem is that I've had this website bookmarked for over 6 months and the complaints I see now are the exact same ones I saw then. "There aren't enough players," There isn't enough content," "The game lags or won't download," are just a few of the responses. Anyone making minimum wage in the US won't even log into this mess to play beta tester for less than $15/hr after reading the reviews.

My time is valuable and it has been squandered. Please accept my 5 minute response as recompense and take it to heart:
1. Stop charging people 2 hours of their manual labor and hard work so that they can play this underdeveloped mess for 30 minutes before uninstalling it.
2. Make an online world worth playing, not some shell of a game that I could buy with unreal assets for $10,000 on a drunken weekend. Prove that progress is being made. Update your trailer to something that doesn't scream, "I chose to log into multiplayer so I could play with myself."
3. Find a way to advertise your game if and when you finally do fix the playability besides the 0 comment, unrated, 10 word review on mmorpg.com that somebody likely outside of your own development team was undeservingly generous enough to provide.

Maybe I'll be seeing you guys around if this ever gets fixed. I'm not holding my breath.

Hi @Apotheosis thanks for taking the time to leave such detailed and constructive feedback.

But I don't think I will.
No problem. We recognize this game isn't for everyone and appreciate you keeping an eye on us.

I've thrown enough money at video games, beta products, and even art in my 32 years of existence only for them to be put away and never used again that the $30 price tag on this, "unknown-wonder," doesn't deter me.
Right?! I can't even tell you how many games I've purchased and never installed.

The problem is that I've had this website bookmarked for over 6 months and the complaints I see now are the exact same ones I saw then. "There aren't enough players," There isn't enough content," "The game lags or won't download," are just a few of the responses. Anyone making minimum wage in the US won't even log into this mess to play beta tester for less than $15/hr after reading the reviews.
It's unfortunate that our forums portray things in that light. Our primary means of communication with our community has shifted in the past year to be through Discord so I guess it's not all that surprising that the forums are less active. However, you can poke around our monthly patch notes to see some of the huge strides we have made over the past year.

My time is valuable and it has been squandered. Please accept my 5 minute response as recompense and take it to heart:
How much have you played the game? I just took a quick look at our account system and did not find any characters attached to your username. Are you just assuming what the game is like based on what you read here on the forums?

1. Stop charging people 2 hours of their manual labor and hard work so that they can play this underdeveloped mess for 30 minutes before uninstalling it.
Not sure if you were aware of this but maintaining a live service (such as an MMO) has costs. We also have developers, contractors, and artists we need to pay in order for them to continue developing. At the end of the day we're trying to run a business, which requires some form of income. We feel that our $30 asking price is more than fair for the work we have put into it. If you do not feel this way, then that's ok, we won't hold it against you.

2. Make an online world worth playing, not some shell of a game that I could buy with unreal assets for $10,000 on a drunken weekend. Prove that progress is being made. Update your trailer to something that doesn't scream, "I chose to log into multiplayer so I could play with myself."
I again ask how long have you played the game? While we do use some purchased assets, a large portion of our art is entirely custom. Our game codebase is also over 280,000 lines of custom code. And if you are interested in the progress being made, I again refer you to our patch notes here. There are a number of active guilds and groups of players.

3. Find a way to advertise your game if and when you finally do fix the playability besides the 0 comment, unrated, 10 word review on mmorpg.com that somebody likely outside of your own development team was undeservingly generous enough to provide.
How do you propose we pay to advertise our game if we also follow your suggestion to stop charging for it?

Maybe I'll be seeing you guys around if this ever gets fixed. I'm not holding my breath.
We'll be here when and if you come back around. And if not we wish you well in your gaming journey!

I was unsure about purchasing this game at first. But I kept hearing how the game was so much like everquest when it was released, and decided to just give it a try. The experience I've had is almost exactly like what I heard it would be. I miss the slow progression of games. I don't get a lot of time to play so I feel like with the slow progression there's is still always atleast a few around my level to potentially group with. If you have played everquest then you will like Embers Adrift. I did and just decided to subscribe. Don't base a game on its reviews. Everyone has different tastes. This game is $29.99 and $9.99 a monthly if you decide to subscribe. It's still cheaper than games that are $59.99 so you are not out as much money if you decide to try it out.

- Ominous

Make an online world worth playing, not some shell of a game that I could buy with unreal assets for $10,000 on a drunken weekend. Prove that progress is being made. Update your trailer to something that doesn't scream, "I chose to log into multiplayer so I could play with myself."
Incredible. You're throwing this kind of stuff around without ever having played the game? This is so wrong — and wrong-headed — that it prompted me to spend 5 minutes out of my day to reply to you.

Here's a quick dose of reality. They actually have made an online game worth playing. Is it a perfect game? No, but it doesn't have to be. It just has to be a fun game, and Embers Adrift is fun. It's a lot of fun. It's HELLA FUN.

So rather than pitying yourself for all the time you've squandered chasing shiny stuff in other MMOs (and being annoyingly bitter about it), just shut up and log on. Try Embers Adrift and form your own opinion. As a skeptic myself, I had reservations about it too, but was blown away after playing for a few hours.

My goodness...he doesn't like the game. What a heartbreaking tragedy. And he wants to buy it but doesn't do it. So devastatingly sad. And he can't do it at all because otherwise he would have to invest a massive amount of money. An entire fortune would be lost.

Come on, we were all teenagers and melodramatic. Give him 20 years...then he will understand why this game, despite all the possibilities for improvement, is already a blast.

Even though OP didn't play the game he did do some aparent homework. I had my doubts about the game and just bit the bullet and bought it.Well to my surparise the game is OK but at around Level 20ish most people hit a leveling wall because there are very few players... and it is horrendious to get through that gap due to everything in the game being Based on group only play. You cannot have a Group only game with a very low player base. I am sorry that is just the facts. I also was a victom of Harassment and becasue the game has sutch a small player base they also refused to deal with the matter in proper form so this also sealed the deal for me to continue to keep Sub. active. This team seems to harbor these kind of acts. So it was a swipe left for me.

I am going to make this easy for you.
Did you like EverQuest? Play Embers Adrift
Did you like WoW? Find another game.
Did you play LoTRO? It's a toss up but you will probably like EA.

If you played none of those games then ask yourself if you like a challenge and are willing to work really hard to overcome adversity and find common goals with people around you to achieve success. If you fit that personality type then play this game. If you prefer to have a glowing trail of breadcrumbs with a guided narrative to hold your hand as you trip happily through a field of enemies that fall over with a simple sneeze as you gain power numbers that mean nothing but to trip the dopamine meter then this game is not for you. Find one of the games on mmorpg.com. They have tons of that drivel advertised there.

Good luck with your crisis.

Even though OP didn't play the game he did do some aparent homework. I had my doubts about the game and just bit the bullet and bought it.Well to my surparise the game is OK but at around Level 20ish most people hit a leveling wall because there are very few players... and it is horrendious to get through that gap due to everything in the game being Based on group only play. You cannot have a Group only game with a very low player base. I am sorry that is just the facts. I also was a victom of Harassment and becasue the game has sutch a small player base they also refused to deal with the matter in proper form so this also sealed the deal for me to continue to keep Sub. active. This team seems to harbor these kind of acts. So it was a swipe left for me.
Heyhey @Khaos
We obviously do not condone harrassement and this is something we take seriously. If you or anyone have been harrassed, please, sent an email to Support@embersadrift.com including screenshots. Why do we ask screenshots of the situation? To be able to make a proper investigation. If you have not taken any screenshots (this happen), you can still contact us, obviously, but it may be more difficult to find prove of your claims.
As a reminder, we are a small team, and we do everything ourselves (we do not have a separate customer service running 24/7) . Thank you for your patience.

Did you like WoW? Find another game.

Ooh ohh.. I feel called out here :p You absolutely can enjoy World of Warcraft (even Retail) and also enjoy Embers Adrift
Important to not make shortcuts and generalities ;)

Ooh ohh.. I feel called out here :p You absolutely can enjoy World of Warcraft (even Retail) and also enjoy Embers Adrift
Important to not make shortcuts and generalities ;)

Quite true. People are not confined to enjoying only one type of MMORPG experience.

Before making a decision, perhaps it's worth considering if the developers have addressed any of these concerns in recent updates or if they have plans to do so in the future. Additionally, reaching out to the community for more recent feedback or checking forums for any updates could provide valuable insights into the current state of the game.In the meantime, if you're looking for some entertainment that's a bit more reliable, why not take a break from gaming and find a good movie to watch? It could be a nice way to relax and unwind, and you might discover something you really enjoy.

Back