What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

How to improve: Lack of class personality/fantasy

Colanius

Hi, first of all, this is more of a suggestion of how to improve the subclasses to have more identity and diversity, while I like the potential of this game, the subclasses and skills really are lacking and after some shower thoughts and pillow talks I decided to rework the subclasses.

This is my interpretation of how I would rework them to make them more appealing, from name-changing subclasses to skill changes and weapon class specifics.

Keep in mind this is a work in progress, I take it as a hobby to theory-craft this. Also, I'm still working on tuning and adding the cooldown times for the abilities and I'll keep updating this post in the future.

Starting the game:
I like the first-hand idea of the base classes (defender, striker, support) and their baseline abilities. Still, once level 6 is reached and specced into the sub-classes, these new abilities I'm suggesting below should be the only ones to choose from, removing the baseline ones, at level 6 respectively, once the spec is chosen.

After the specialization is chosen, weapons are spec restricted accordingly.

PART 1

STRIKER / DPS SUB-CLASSES.

- Brawler (ex Berserker) A front liner, specialized in raw melee damage, cleaving and party-wide buffs/debuffs.
Specialization: 2 handed weapons (Axe, Sword, Hammer)

Skills
Level 6 Smash - Smash the target by dealing 120% of weapon damage to the target.
Level 8 Disarming Blow - Attack the target dealing X amount of damage and decreasing the chance to hit 25% for X seconds.
Level 10 Cleave - Swipe your weapon in a 120° arc dealing 120% of weapon damage to each target (max 3 targets).
Level 12 Frenzied Stance - Increase your haste by 50% for X seconds.
Level 14 Bone Breaker - Massive blow that stuns the target for X seconds and reduces its armor by 25%. Damage will not break the stun.
Level 18 Battle Shout - Bolster your allies, increasing all party members' damage done by 25% for 10 seconds.
Level 22 Frightening shout - Terrorizing scream that decreases all damage done by targets by 20% for X seconds around an X-meter radius around the Brawler.
Level 26 Overpower - Overpower the target with a massive blow dealing 150% weapon damage, triple the amount (450% weapon damage) if the target is affected by Frightening shout and it's also stunned.
Level 30 Primal Rage - Enter a bloodthirst rage increasing damage done by 50%, ignoring 50% of the target's armor, and increasing hit chance by 50% for X seconds.

- Assassin (ex Brigand) A master of silent attacks, bleeds, poisons, and harmful chemicals, prepared to make a quick and clean personal kill.
Specialization: 1 handed weapons (Sword, Axe, Dagger)

Skills
Level 6 Serrated Blades - Violent strike that deals X initial damage and leaves bleeding on the target for X damage for X seconds.
Level 8 Venom Blades - Strike the target for X initial damage and leaves a poison on the target for X damage for X seconds.
Level 10 Backstab - Stealth strike dealing 150% weapon damage if behind the target, 50% if not.
Level 12 Chemical Blades - Experimental blade strike that deals X initial damage and leaves a chemical burn in the target for X damage for X seconds.
Level 14 Amplify Wounds - For X seconds your DOTs ticks twice as fast and have an extended 5 seconds duration.
Level 18 Vanishing Move - Move out of the fray of combat, reducing your threat 100%.
Level 22 Quick Strike - Strike your target fast, dealing X damage and dazing the target preventing it to use abilities.
Level 26 Flanking Stance - While this stance is active being on the sides is considered also the back of the target. Ability will end if damage is dealt to the player.
Level 30 Rupture - Powerful finishing strike that removes all DOTs from the target, dealing each DOT total amount instantly and increasing its damage by 50%. Triple the damage (150%) if Amplify wounds is active when Rupture is triggered.

- Marksman (ex Warden) Experienced hunter, raining enemies with arrows from far away, they'll never know what hit them.
Specialization: Short Bows, Long Bows.

Skills
Level 6 Precision Shot - Powerful charged shot that Deals X amount of damage and it has a % multiplier the further you are from the target (max range x4 multiplier).
Level 8 Elemental Arrowheads* - Choose from your reagents belt (new reagents added to different monster types) a themed arrowhead to deal the following effects:
*Only one elemental arrowhead can be active at the time.
- Acid vial: Deal X damage and reduce the target's armor by 25% for X seconds.
- Numbing vial: Daze the target making it more vulnerable to attacks for X seconds (damage taken increased X%).
- Powder vial: Stun the target for X seconds, damage will not break the stun.
- Tar vial: Slow the target for X seconds, decreasing its moving speed by 50%.
Level 10 Pinning Shot - Immobilize the target in place for X seconds, if the target cannot be immobilized it deals X damage each second for the total duration of the effect.
Level 12 Barrage - Fire 5 arrows in a row (each shot at 1 global cooldown interval), each doing 10% less damage than the previous one (each arrow consumes one ammo count).
Level 14 Move As One - Give all party members 20% movement speed while not in combat or movement impaired. Active until cancellation.
Level 18 Explosive Shot - Shoot an arrow to the target dealing X initial damage and exploding after 2 seconds dealing 50% of the initial damage to an X radius of the target.
Level 22 Distracting Shot - Shoot an arrow that deals X damage and taunts the target redirecting the aggro to your defensive target.
Level 26 Take aim! - Buff the party with a 25% hit increase for X seconds.
Level 30 Siege Breaker - Powerful shot that ignores 100% of the target's armor and deals X amount of damage. The higher the armor value it ignores, the higher the damage the target takes (up to 150% increased damage).

Last edited:
Reserved for PART 2
DEFENDER/TANK SUB-CLASSES

- Vanguard (ex Juggernaut) The offensive tank that mitigates damage by blocking, parrying, and countering enemy attacks while defending the group.
Specialization: 2 handed weapons (Axe, Sword, Hammer, Polearm)

Skills
Level 6
Level 8
Level 10
Level 12
Level 14
Level 18
Level 22
Level 26
Level 30

- Champion (ex Knight) The literal shield of the group, blocking heavy blows and defensive supporting capabilities.
Specialization: 1 handed (Sword, Mace) + shield (heavy shields)
Skills
Level 6
Level 8
Level 10
Level 12
Level 14
Level 18
Level 22
Level 26
Level 30

- Tactician (ex Marshal) The strategist, specialized in providing advantages to their allies and disavantages to their enemies. (The offtank)
Specialization: 1 handed (Sword, Axe) + shield (small and medium shields)
Skills
Level 6
Level 8
Level 10
Level 12
Level 14
Level 18
Level 22
Level 26
Level 30

Last edited:
This wouldve been great maybe during alpha or beta but the game is considered "full release" and the classes are set already

How many of these "I want to see X" threads are we going to see until people figure out that the devs and their mouthpieces saying "we don't care what you want, we're not doing that" might just perhaps mean, exactly that.

How many of these "I want to see X" threads are we going to see until people figure out that the devs and their mouthpieces saying "we don't care what you want, we're not doing that" might just perhaps mean, exactly that.
Lmfao never going to happen. There's a huge community of "players" that never reach level 20 but will make a post like this trying to change the game 5 times and then quit when they get told no.

Lmfao never going to happen. There's a huge community of "players" that never reach level 20 but will make a post like this trying to change the game 5 times and then quit when they get told no.
Not sure but that would indicate something right?

The game did not appeal with the box +sub.
Hopefully it sticks better now.

But what if it doesn't? What does it take for some things to come through as, "something isn't working and we might need to rethink it". I would rather see some things changed than holding on and shutting down.

I appreciate what you are saying though.

Last edited:
I'm fully of the belief that the developers stubborn refusal to make any adjustments whatsoever that deviate from their "Vision"(tm) is why this game is failing to get any traction outside of a tiny rabid fanbase, and will never improve beyond that, but that's another post entirely.
I actually do have a couple of small, practical improvements I'd like to see, and I don't think even the most frothing fanboy shrieking about "muh imeeerrrshun" can coherantly argue against them:

1) Out of combat, active healing. I won't call this "first aid" to avoid confusion, but after a long fight, health recovery takes an impractically long time. You can sneer and declare the game "not intended for solo" all you like (another thing putting people off from trying and or sticking with the game but I digress) but solo is often more practical for a variety of reasons which again, not getting into here. This could be a vendor/outfitter created consumable item (bandages) or simply an across-the-board general skill. Make it self only if you like, that's fine.

2) Consider is, frankly, worthless. When I'm looking at a mob, I don't need redundant information easily provided by the color/chevron system. An argument could be made for the colorblind, but what I really need to know is, *aggro*, as in "is this mob going to attack me if I get too close?" This is particularly relevant with the absolutely nonsensical, seemingly random way aggro is handled (male deer are all aggro when they reach level 10 for reasons. The named hog by Raven's Peak is aggro, when literally no other hog in the area is. apparently every single raccoon in this world is rabid (but not the kits). I could go on). I'm not a programmer, but this doesn't seem too difficult. One added line of dialogue. "seems like a difficult fight. It appears/does not appear hostile"

My 2cp to be ignored by the devs.

Back