What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Feedback Emotes

• Thread starter Deleted member 32699
  • Start date
is this feedback?
D

Deleted member 32699

It would be nice to add a few more basic emotes, like /bye, /smile and a /thank that's not just another /bow.

On a related note, I would suggest making the list of emotes available in-game.
There's already the /emote command in-game that currently allows you to write custom emotes, but it's too long for my taste.
I suggest that in future /emote displays a list of available emotes and that you can write custom emotes by typing /e.

In this context, I also have to criticise the /hail emote:
Anyone who does halfway serious RP knows that it's extremely frowned upon to address strangers you don't know by their name - that's out of character.
WoW handles this better.

/hail in WoW:
*Audric hails Thomas.* (= in character)

/hail in Embers Adrift:
"Hail Thomas!" (= out of character - at least if you don't know the other person)

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice to add a few more basic emotes, like /bye, /smile and a /thank that's not just another /bow.
Without a dedicated animator this is a challenge. Something we certainly want to do, but not straight forward with our limited resources.

On a related note, I would suggest making the list of emotes available in-game.
If you type /emotes it will list all emotes your character is aware of. Yellow will be general, while purple indicates subscriber only emotes.

In this context, I also have to criticise the /hail emote:
Anyone who does halfway serious RP knows that it's extremely frowned upon to address strangers you don't know by their name - that's out of character.
WoW handles this better.

/hail in WoW:
*Audric hails Thomas.* (= in character)

/hail in Embers Adrift:
"Hail Thomas!" (= out of character - at least if you don't know the other person)
Our hail is inspired by EverQuest. And I wouldn't really consider it an "emote" in the classical sense. To me it's just a shortcut to say someone's name in chat to get their attention. The benefit here for most (at least IMO) is that since it is said in the /say channel you get chat bubbles over one's head. The /emote chat channel does not have chat bubbles so if it were moved to the emote channel that would no longer happen.

I see.
So the emotes in the game come "out of the box" so to speak - as part of the (Unity?) engine?

Maybe there's more where they come from?
Regardless, it's not really urgent.

I really could have thought of /emotes myself.
Thanks for the hint.

And your explanation of /hail makes sense.
Don't get me wrong - I like Embers Adrift's /hail, but the roleplayer in me always cringes a little when it's used inappropriately.

I see.
So the emotes in the game come "out of the box" so to speak - as part of the (Unity?) engine?
No not at all. Not much of anything in Embers Adrift comes "out of the box" from Unity :). What I meant is that we are limited to the animations that we currently have. We can add as many emotes as we want for textual flavor, but having a custom animation for each is not feasible for us right now as those need to be created.

I understand.

So, basically, you could simply add the following emotes:

/bye
*x waves goodbye to y.* (targeted)
*x waves goodbye to everyone.* (untargeted)
/wave animation

/smile
*x smiles at y.* (targeted)
*x smiles.* (untargeted)
No animation needed (most people probably don't pay attention to facial expressions anyway).

/wink
*x winks at y.* (targeted)
*x winks.* (untargeted)
No animation needed (same as above).

Etc.

First of all, thanks a lot for adding the emotes I suggested to the game.

As announced (threatened ;) ), here are my other suggestions for the next patch (and don't worry - that's all I'm suggesting for now):

/beg
*x begs y.* (targeted)
*x begs everyone.* or *x begs everyone around him / her / them.* (untargeted)
/have mercy animation (the one characters use when they have lost a duel)

/hi
*x greets y warmly.* (targeted)
*x greets everyone warmly.* (untargeted)
/wave animation

/yw
*x was happy to help y.* (targeted)
*x was happy to help.* (untargeted)
No animation needed

Thank you!

I also noticed a little something:

Emotes from NPCs (e.g. mobs) end with a full stop - emotes from player characters do not.

The perfectionist in me would like to see all player character emotes punctuated as well.

Emotes.png

Back