What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

QA April 5th, 2024

Undone

Codemaster
Stormhaven Studios
Characters have been migrated from live to QA as of April 4rd at midnight Central US time.

• Banners and torches near the Proving Grounds will no longer collide with the camera.
  • Lower height of collider on Proving Grounds arena platform to better match visuals.
  • Fixed new footstep audio collections not being bundled properly (memory improvement)
  • Fixed some weapon textures not being properly marked for streaming MIPS (memory improvement)
  • Adjusted visuals for Crystalized Great Sword to differentiate it from the Glacial version.
  • Added a dropdown to the Map window listing other maps you have discovered. Selecting a different map will load that map.
  • Added zoom & pan to the map UI (still no windows resize)
  • (loading a different map will cause any teleport from monolith icons to go away if you go back to the current map, move away from the monolith and back to it in order to re-activate the teleport buttons. this will be fixed in the next qa patch).

New Stuff
Mail
Mailboxes have been added to Newhaven City outside of each bank for testing. You can send text, money, and/or items. The recipient can either accept or decline this mail; when declined if something is attached it will be sent back to the sender. In addition, you can specify a cash-on-delivery amount which the recipient must pay in order to accept (or they can return to sender). We're still working through the details (audio, UI, etc) but we wanted to get this into your hands to break sooner than later. Give it a go and let us know what you think!

A few important bits of information:
  • Sending text has a flat fee.
  • Sending items charges you a fee based on the item's category. Think of this as insurance. Current values are placeholder and likely need adjustment (feedback welcome).
  • You cannot send mail to yourself.
  • You cannot send mail to other characters on the same account.
  • Messages are polled on the social server and hence there can be a delay of a few minutes before the mail is recieved

Content Compression:
Frequent feedback that we receive from the community is the desire to have more variety in content and to be able to expand the range of players that can participate in that content. After internally considering multiple factors we are finally ready to have players experience the change that we are calling the "Content Compression".

All content on QA will undergo compression by a a factor of roughly 3/5 (it's not exactly this, but a good estimate). This means the 1-50 journey will be compressed down into a 1-30 journey. In doing so we see the following positives for the player base:
  • Expands content options for players
  • Expands groupable player base
  • Increases per-level benefits, giving each level more impact
  • Reduces levels between skill upgrades and skill acquisitions.
  • Reduces levels between equipment upgrades
  • New characters will start with at least one additional skill
  • Address gaps in progression where certain levels become harder to find on-level content
  • Address gaps in crafting/gathering where certain levels become harder to find on-level content
Level tier conversions would look like the following:
  • 1 -> 1
  • 5 -> 3
  • 10 -> 6
  • 15 -> 9
  • 20 -> 12
  • 25 -> 15
  • 30 -> 18
  • 33 -> 20
  • 36 -> 22
  • 40 -> 24
  • 43 -> 26
  • 46 -> 28
  • 48 -> 29
  • 50 -> 30
I'm sure there will be a lot of questions about this change, but here are some of the common questions:
  • Is this a stat squish? Will all my numbers go down? No. All stat values and numerical calculations remain the same.
  • Do I stay the same level as before? No. Your level and progress through it will be adjusted to fit into the new progression curve.
  • Will I lose any skills or ability to wear any gear? No. All reductions are done globally. So all consumables, equipment and skills are reduced by the same amount.
  • What about unlocks such as Ember Stone and Alchemy? These will also be shifted down with Ember Stone access at lvl 6 and Alchemy access at lvl 12.
  • Is the exp needed for lvl 1 -> 30 the same as before? No. The experience required to reach max level has not been reduced.
  • Does this mean it takes longer to level through each individual level? Yes. At this time the compression of the progression results in bigger rewards per level but more exp required per-level. This is something we are keeping an eye on for further adjustments.
  • Is GEL still up to level +5? Yes. GEL remains with the same coverage as before. This is something we are keeping an eye on for further adjustments.
  • Are there any changes to the color con system? What level something is grey/blue/yellow etc? Yes. On the low end mobs will be gray after 6 levels now instead of the previous 10. For other colors and level difference bonuses they remain unchanged, but this is something we are keeping an eye on for further adjustments.
  • Is Gathering/Crafting adjusted too? Yes.
(Quartermaster's Alcove zone is currently offline because the level up potions were not properly migrated. It will be back early next week).

Last edited:
now all the players get to 50 quicker to find nothing to do, who is the brilliant mind that is ruining this game that I love?

now all the players get to 50 quicker to find nothing to do, who is the brilliant mind that is ruining this game that I love?
The experience required to get to level 30 is the same as it was to get to level 50. So no, you won't get there any faster.

Also - we're putting this on QA for feedback. Just because it's on QA doesn't mean it will make it to live.

Not a bad idea at all! Then only thing left really is end game content and other touches etc Awesome thinking!

Last edited:
Is there any chance you could provide us with the level ranges of the zones after this change? Without level pots it would be hard to translate via QA.

I'm mostly curious how this will influence the range of what is considered to be "good" or at least desirable XP and loot. AKA blue, white, yellow mobs.

The wiki has a good map laying out the level ranges as they stand now.

Currently most named gear alternates in 5 level intervals from 5 to 30. After that it's a bit more random so harder to relate.

Either way I think it's a creative idea and I'm excited to see how it shakes things up.

how does this effect gel? does that mean a 25 will now be able to gel to 30
yes.

Is there any chance you could provide us with the level ranges of the zones after this change? Without level pots it would be hard to translate via QA.

I'm mostly curious how this will influence the range of what is considered to be "good" or at least desirable XP and loot. AKA blue, white, yellow mobs.
I don't have a list right now but it's a good approximation to just multiply a level by 3/5 and that should get you close enough.

I feel as though 5 lvl range with GEL might be too much in this scenario. As it stands today GEL primarily improves your effective level offensively which allows supporters and strikers to more easily fit in groups that would otherwise be too high for them 5 levels higher than their current level. The same level tank sure gets that same offensive GEL boost but is very unlikely to have the AC to effectively take hits from a mob 5 levels higher than them. This leads to strikers and healers having a much wider band of viable parties than tanks would unless the tank is strictly off tanking.

Don't get me wrong, I love GEL and how it removed the hard floor from participating in dungeons that used to exist. That said, I think it would make a lot of sense to scale down 5 boost to 3 to coorespond with the downscaling everything else gets.

I feel as though 5 lvl range with GEL might be too much in this scenario. As it stands today GEL primarily improves your effective level offensively which allows supporters and strikers to more easily fit in groups that would otherwise be too high for them 5 levels higher than their current level. The same level tank sure gets that same offensive GEL boost but is very unlikely to have the AC to effectively take hits from a mob 5 levels higher than them. This leads to strikers and healers having a much wider band of viable parties than tanks would unless the tank is strictly off tanking.

Don't get me wrong, I love GEL and how it removed the hard floor from participating in dungeons that used to exist. That said, I think it would make a lot of sense to scale down 5 boost to 3 to coorespond with the downscaling everything else gets.
Lowering the GEL value kind of diminishes the effectiveness of this change. The net benefit here is that everyone is closer together in level range and GEL still applies at a +5 which is included in that expansion.

Not that I have gotten to 50, but I heard that 49-50 does take some time etc. So with the squish and the same exp need to get to 30 as 50, wont the 29 to 30 for example feel like it takes forever?

Mail boxes, thank you.

Content Compression - head says yes, heart says good luck explaining this and having people not feel like they have been nerfed.
I wonder if the alternative of increasing the GEL range and XP con restrictions would have been more palatable.

Thats just an initial response though, will download.

Mailboxes:
- them being only in NH is just for testing, later they'll be in all settlements, right?
- when composing, the Cursor doesn't show upon clicking in the "To:" and "Subject:" fields, only after typing something there
- Mails in the Outbox have a "Delete" button, but I'm not allowed to use it. I'd suggest to either allow it or remove the button
- there should be an error message when you try to send mail to yourself/your account/non-existing name
- an auto-complete for previously typed names and names on your friendslist would be nice
- Postage for sending items seems pretty high at times, sending "Muddy Shirt" for example costs like 3 times more then it's vendor sell value. Also basing it purely on category may severly impact new/low level players while being negligble for high level players. I'd suggest the price being a function of category + item level.

Content Compression:
- I like the idea and I think it's the right step, but maybe progress will feel too slow

can you say there is a plan to extend the level beyond 30, an mmo player is very unlikely to pick up a new game with the max level of 30, just saying.

can you say there is a plan to extend the level beyond 30, an mmo player is very unlikely to pick up a new game with the max level of 30, just saying.
Why is it "very unlikely" that an mmo player would pick up a new game based on an arbitrary level number without understanding how long it takes to get to that level or the unlocks for each respective level? Are you saying a game that has a max level of 100 that takes an hour to max and only rewards new skills and gear at levels 1-10 will be more enticing?

Please note that the ranges on the left aren't entirely accurate. The lowest level for a zone is calculated by measuring when some mobs in that zone become yellow con. The upper level is intended to be the last level before the mobs in the zone turn light blue in con at highest. Feel free to correct me on any of these and I will update the chart accordingly.

Main Gear Level Conversions:
5 -> 3
10 -> 6
15 -> 9
20 ->12
25-> 15
30 -> 18
33 -> 20
36 -> 22
40 -> 24
50 -> 30

My initial thoughts after doing all of this:
1. I think we're going to need more in game information on mob level and zone general level. Gone will be the days of veterans knowing what mobs are what level where. Nobody will know, so for the love of Blupiter tell me what level the mob is that I'm fighting.
2. Mob con will shift a bit with this adjustment making it so zones con yellow/white/blue for slightly longer (I think?).
3. Zone overlap in the early 1-20 levels might be felt even more now. This may lead to zones that are already under explored to be largely ignored. (CV2 Exiles, Aqua Karst Hard Loop).
4. It'll be difficult to give impressions on the early levels for those of us with 5 filled character slots.

This is the current zone level spread. Please forgive any inaccurate zone level ranges as it can prove difficult to verify without specific zone level pots. There are individual camps within the overland zones (green) that fit into smaller level ranges but aren't properly separated in wiki documentation. I'll throw one together for the compressed levels shortly.
Zone Level Spread.png

Last edited:
Barring any corrections to my data it does appear at first to positively impact some of the levels with less options. Currently there are 13 levels from 1 to 50 where you have 3 or fewer overland, dungeon or EV zone options for getting xp. With the compressed model it looks like that's reduced to 4. The current zones available per level is 3.94 and with compressed levels its 5.3.

I'd say that's an improvement overall. We still have levels with fewer options than others, but ultimately it smooths out the experience. With the addition of a current level 27-28 zone or compressed 16-17 zone the leveling experience would be consistent until level 27 (current 46~).

If we're talking about shaking up the game to this degree, perhaps we could consider repositioning some zones to create a more intuitive leveling experience? I have a couple ideas on the matter:

- I think there are still issues caused by zones of an overlapping level being physically distant from one another around the 15 to 25 level range (Meadowlands, Highland Hills and Dryfoot). I think this unnecessarily leads to splitting up the lower level population and can often disorient new people after completing Meadowlands content. A physical relocation might be a bit too extreme of a proposal, but possibly shifting Dryfoot to better fit the 23-26 range where Redshore currently is extra punishing when you don't know what parts of it con yellow to 25 or 26.

- I also think that Forgotten Depths 2 is unnecessarily split progression wise from Forgotten Depths 1. It often gets skipped in favor of doing Freehold for better loot with less risk. FD2 drops could easily be made a 33ish zone (20 compressed) and largely solve the issues with content between 30-40. The 36 gear that drops is mostly comparable to other 33 gear with a few exceptions and honestly 33 is pretty starved for gear as it stands.

To me, this is super confusing, if I have to relearn what is what and where, I'll likely stop playing. It's a bad idea to make massive changes like this after a game is live IMO. I'd suggest spending dev cycles on content addition and quality of life improvements vs rescaling everything in the game.

Back