Embers Adrift

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent content by Aetrion

1. Aetrion

Economy in Games

Hopefully crafting will not consist of just churning out garbage until you can make something useful.
  2. Aetrion

Economy in Games

As someone who's usually not into crafting and trading I tend to prefer a simple economy in games where I can just get what I want in one easy place at the lowest price. On the other hand though, a system where markets are local and resources aren't all available in the same place etc. tends...
  3. Aetrion

TOPIC: The importance of light and darkness in Embers Adrift

I personally love darkness as a game mechanic when a game really puts an emphasis on it. Having many different ways to produce light, having enemies react to light, having to put lights on your person out when you want to hide, creating traps by putting a static light source somewhere that can...
  4. Aetrion

TOPIC: Being unique in MMORPGS part 1 - How important is it for you?

If it's harder to gain high levels in skills than low levels, but the number of skill levels you can have total is fixed you will see low skills eating into high skills very aggressively to the point where you basically can't use them at all. If you try to maintain a skill somewhere in the...
  5. Aetrion

The really big issue with your system is that it gives people trouble if they want to be bad or mediocre at something. If you want to be bad at something you simply can't use it at all without creating skill shifts, and if you want to be mediocre at something you have to intentionally pause...
  6. Aetrion

Your entire premise of "this requires effort" is wrong though. What you're asking for from players isn't effort, you're simply punishing them for organically engaging with the content. Let's say there is a block skill in the game. You can hold block to reduce incoming damage until your party...
  7. Aetrion

Being able to build your character the way you want is not a shortcut, it's a core feature of the genre. Don't act like I'm recklessly jumping to conclusions about what people like when I point to hundreds of commercially successful games spanning five decades and say that the way they are...
  8. Aetrion

I don't think I'm making assumptions because every single learning by doing system with a skill sum cap I can think of gives people both options and they overwhelmingly pick pinning their skills over perpetual drift. I think there is no reason to assume that they would be happier if their...
  9. Aetrion

Who does a system like that serve? If you have a system where you can pin skills people can choose if they want their character to dynamically adapt to what they are doing or if they want their character to maintain a specific build. If you remove the ability to pin skills people who want to...
  10. Aetrion

That's functionally the same as an XP system where you can spend experience on whatever skill you want. I think trying to develop a system that gives people the character they want by correctly interpreting their preference through averages is an incredibly convoluted and failure prone way to...
  11. Aetrion

If you could acquire skills with money in an MMORPG people could simply hand someone all the money they need to buy themselves to max level, and the wealth gap between new and established characters would be even more extreme when there is a huge sum of money you have to put down before you can...
  12. Aetrion

The issue you're running into is that in real life the limit to how many skills you can learn is largely determined by the limited time you have in your life and how you spend it. Playing a game in itself trades some of your potential for self improvement for virtual entertainment. That's why...
  13. Aetrion

The "get good at what you're actually using" advancement system is always one of those holy grails of RPG design, but in practice it's almost always a mess. For one it creates situations where people deliberately don't use certain skills just because they want to avoid accidentally learning...
  14. Aetrion

That's definitely true, Ultima Online allowed you to completely remake your character, but it was a very significant investment to redistribute your stats and re-learn all of the skills. I still think your character's background should matter in some way, because whatever defines your...
  15. Aetrion

What Is Your Favorite MMOs?

Ultima Online in the T2A era. (Too different now to still be a favorite) World of Warcraft in the BC era. (Too different now to still be a favorite) Elderscrolls Online Champions Online