What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Your dream mmo

Inusaa

Helloall :)

The title is the entire topic, what would be your dream mmo.

If so, in what way Embers Adrift is closer to this dream mmo than any other mmo out there for you ?

In the other way, what features of EA make this game maybe miss the target for making it your dream mmo ? What would you change to make it so ?

I will answer soon about those questions from my own perspective, as soon as I get the will and time for a maybe big text :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
3d world (not isometric overhead view),
lock targetting (aka tab targetting),
no mouse click spam attacking,
movement enabled using your choice of left+right mouse click or keyboard,
many races and classes,
big world,
a combat system that is complex enough that you should always be choosing your next attack rather than always using a predetermined order,
Content that is enough to last. If you have yearly expansions there should be enough content that it lasts the average player the full year without going to alts.
A culture where its possible to form and find groups even if you dont have a static group.

Well I want to start off by saying I have not had a game keeping me thinking about it while at work since eq. I've been playing project 1999 for years to fill that old school mmo need.

You guys are a dangerous second. I was sad to find out there was no magic, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me. The crafting system is very cool and makes up for the magic feel.

The combat is pretty awesome as well.

In terms of what I would like to see out of this MMO is class specific and cross class quests that are impossible to attain solo and maybe have to travel all over. The idea of no quests hubs is amazing, but you need quests. Stay the course and don't put "!" Over quest givers. The beauty of eq is having to hunt them down and interact with as many NPCs as you can. A quest for an epic weapon that is different for every class that requires raids and the help of the guild to accomplish again would be great. Static world bosses on ridiculous timers to complete these quests keeps these items rare and creates a robust economy. No instances. Accomplishing an epic weapon quest in EQ was a huge milestone that was recognized by the community.

Camps with place holders with known names that spawn who drop rare and powerful items. I do like your static rare spawns, but known camp's add to reliability.

Factions for different races and factions for mobs! Working towards changing factions to get big quests done is another huge mile stone for character growth.

Make games difficult again!

Thank you very much for your fat juicy answers :)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

What I would personnally love about an mmo is that it is both challenging and immersive.

An interesting, deep world in which you can get lost with your character and your real life time :))))))))))))))

I think it's nice to be an almost worthless character all alone, but being able to progress through the world with teammates, and a good communication. It's how good memories are done. There would be none if there is no challenge, no discovery, no beauty, no tragic :))))))))))))))

My ideal MMORPG would be an open world sandbox, with a fantasy setting. Something more old school. Tab-targeted combat. No instances. Not fast-paced, flashy or action-based. A large map, with ample room for exploration, and big enough to accommodate player housing without becoming cluttered, preferably without fast travel (to promote exploration and more localized elements). A game that caters to various playstyles, but is not focused on one. No quests of any sort, but rather underlying systems that promote character interaction and give players a sense of agency. A plethora of elements to perhaps help foster immersion and encourage natural roleplay. In essence, anything that makes the world feel more alive. A player controlled economy with a robust crafting system that utilizes a host of resources that can be gathered in the world, much of it localized to certain areas. No starter zones or tutorials. Essentially, a game that fosters a sense of freedom, with room for various playstyles to come together; PvE, PvP, Crafting, etc. Looking for more of an experience I guess, than just something to play, kill the bosses, get the loot, etc. A world you can get lost in (figuratively and literally) and truly become your character.

World: A rich and vibrant world, with many small touches that really bring it to life; changing seasons, various biomes, region-specific mobs/resources. A diverse ecology, with as much AI behavior as is possible/feasible.

Style and Graphics: I prefer beautiful graphics, of course, though they need not be cutting edge or hyper-realistic. I rather like a stylized approach, and it does not matter if it is isometric or 3D. I find the graphics in Pathfinder: Kingmaker to be very warm and inviting, and feel that the world has a lot of character. Similarly, I love the graphical style of LOTRO, dated as it is. Embers Adrift is stunning, and it is the graphics and general look and feel of the game that initially drew my attention.

Progression: Skill-based as opposed to level-based. Slow skill gains, and slow pace in general. Classless, but with certain checks in place- such as not being able to use magic while wearing heavy armor and certain types of weapon- to preserve the old school “D&D” fantasy aesthetic. Limited overall skill cap, whereby a single character can only master a certain number of skills, to encourage specialization. One character per server, to prevent mules, and other similar elements, as well as to encourage investing in one's character and help establish a more balanced economy.

Payment model: Purchase the initial game and a monthly subscription thereafter. No microtransactions of any kind; PTW, cosmetic, or otherwise. Possible Game-related issues aside, there is just something off-putting about the FTP model, in all its incarnations, at least for me. I prefer one set fee for everyone, so the field is level. All items either found on mobs or player-crafted.

Content: No overriding narrative. No static quests. Rather existing dungeons and other areas, with a high degree of randomized elements. Inclusion of various systems whereby characters can interact with one another as well influence the world. Likewise, the game should be challenging and require interaction and cooperation.

But again, this is my dream MMORPG. While Embers Adrift is not going to tick all of these boxes, I find the concept intriguing and the world beautiful, and look forward to its release.

I would like a new original Everquest pre all the expansions lol- with the New World Engine but adding climbing better crafting etc. The terrain of new world is really good and gives you a great feel of openness and realism. Heck I would settle for a remake with the new engine. Their updated engine is just terrible. To me Everquest is one of those games that you just cannot help going back to over and over etc. Just my 2 cents.

Adding these elements to the game:
PvP that DAOC has. Good Realm vs Bad Realm vs Monster Realm or something to that likes
Housing like they were going to have in Everquest next as the concept was totally cool and fun to play. That's money i will never see again lol.

Oh and for goodness sakes make sure you Test and test and test the game to capacity and ensure it is ready for launch.

I have a simple answer, and a longer more thought out answer, I'll post the simple one now, and if I can ever work up the energy go into detail. But Simple easy answer is PVE only Eve, with no Limitation on High/nul Low Sec for ship types. Or even Hell, keep PVP in null but let me bring a fricken Mothership into Highsec and make High Sec completely No PVP no chance at pvp, and make it so you can travel the entire game from one end to the other and never enter Null sec where the PVPers are.

Other Honorable quick mentions. Log Horizion's world, and infinite dendrogram.
Longer answer would require sitting down to think and talk with my SO to work out perfect game.

I'm a numbers nerd.....I like features such as a gear score to help show how I'm moving forward with the progression, other than that keep it simple, bloat kills!!!

Mortal online 2 would be a almost perfect Game for me if they we're able to force the 1 char per player restriction and not have a playerbase having 2 -4 Accounts and circumvent the restriction. The whole concept sadly doesnt work for me with this community "exploit".

Embers Adrift doesn't come closer to my dream MMORPG than other options by my current views. What the game does offer me is a different experience that I had not previously explored. What I come to feel it offers me beyond that and if my views of that ideal will change depends on the result of that exploration.

Well I want to start off by saying I have not had a game keeping me thinking about it while at work since eq. I've been playing project 1999 for years to fill that old school mmo need.

You guys are a dangerous second. I was sad to find out there was no magic, but that wasn't a deal breaker for me. The crafting system is very cool and makes up for the magic feel.

The combat is pretty awesome as well.

In terms of what I would like to see out of this MMO is class specific and cross class quests that are impossible to attain solo and maybe have to travel all over. The idea of no quests hubs is amazing, but you need quests. Stay the course and don't put "!" Over quest givers. The beauty of eq is having to hunt them down and interact with as many NPCs as you can. A quest for an epic weapon that is different for every class that requires raids and the help of the guild to accomplish again would be great. Static world bosses on ridiculous timers to complete these quests keeps these items rare and creates a robust economy. No instances. Accomplishing an epic weapon quest in EQ was a huge milestone that was recognized by the community.

Camps with place holders with known names that spawn who drop rare and powerful items. I do like your static rare spawns, but known camp's add to reliability.

Factions for different races and factions for mobs! Working towards changing factions to get big quests done is another huge mile stone for character growth.

Make games difficult again!
I couldn't agree more with your post it mirrors my thoughts. Games shouldn't just make things easier, part of EverQuests charm and staying power came from discovering and finding those quests by talking with every NPC you came across. I too love magic and usually play wizards but I am liking this game so far so good. I am looking forward to Pantheon Rise of the Fallen for the EQ feeling of the past. I hope it sees the light of day. Ashes of Creation has also has my interest but I do like embers adrift so far it's been really fun.

This game with a $100mil+ budget would be my ideal game. Just a LOT more of everything. Something more akin to Vanguard: SOH with a traditional fantasy setting with many races all with their own massive kingdoms on an entire continent of a map(maybe even wrapped around like an actual planet. Full faction systems for everything including missions, trading, a system for gaining knowledge and influence and everything. A plethora of mounts and battle pets to earn. Sailing with tons of activity, like pirates, sea monsters, ghost ships etc... Basically a lovechild between Ashes of Creation and Vanguard: SOH but even much bigger and more intricate would be my perfect game.

A game that doesn't revolve around combat as the primary means to level. Combat should still be part of the game. But the endless, mindless grinding levels by killing mobs over and over for no reason other than to gain exp gets old. Maybe no levels at all, your toon ages and gains proficiency the more they do different activities, instead of leveling.

All classes can use all weapon types. You might not be all that proficient with certain ones, based on your stats (DEX, AGI, STR). But if your life is in danger and all you have nearby is a mace that you've never used before, you're still going to pick it up and start swinging.

A crafting system that is more involved than just selecting your mats and clicking combine. I rather enjoyed the early EQ2 system.

NPCs that behave more like people. Shopkeepers have lives outside of standing at their counters 24/7. Let them have other employees, or family members, take a shift while they go home and sleep.

More unpredictability with mobs. After repeatedly getting his butt kicked, Fippy decides to recruit 50 of his clan-mates, and they rush the gates of Qeynos together. Have things like that happen at random intervals, or be triggered. Mobs also need eyes that can see things more than 20 feet away.

whatever it is, it needs to not have pvp, or pvp needs to be rigidly segmented off in such a way that it doesn't impact balance one bit.

So Far this game is checking every box I have but leaves one box open.
I wish there was magic, I really miss Everquest style enchanters and Bard (Mezzing/CC) but maybe Brigand will fill that role??
This is the first game since EQ/DAOC/WoW 'Yes that long ago' that I have had a good feeling about.

If so, in what way Embers Adrift is closer to this dream mmo than any other mmo out there for you ?

In the other way, what features of EA make this game maybe miss the target for making it your dream mmo ? What would you change to make it so ?

I will answer soon about those questions from my own perspective, as soon as I get the will and time for a maybe big text :))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks for your time.
Biggest miss for me is no true hybrids or mages. But it’s not that big of a deal to me. Class specialization would be nice too but I know that takes a lot of careful planning to balance.

Thanks for your time.
My dream mmorpg is a full Warhammer 40k universe the size of Eve online, EA cant come close to this because the genre is completely different. BUT ! i currently realy enjoy playing EA because i feel like im playing Everquest.

My dream mmo is more about group content. The most fun I have had was in a group exp party in ffxi. During the 2009-2010 era you could make exp parties of 7-18 players and do an event call field of valor where each zone you got bonus exp whenever you finished an objective like kill 5 bunnies. Killing faster with more ppl made it fun and a bit more relaxing. Those parties became very easy to join and almost never stopped with people just rotating in and out. Not the best exp but I knew I could log in to a party with a spot open and my class didn't matter if they already had the pieces needed to start the party. If I need to afk I knew the 10 or so other people wouldn't care cause exp was gonna go just as fast if i was inside the party or not. Sure I would get kicked out if it got really full and someone else wanted in. But generally the more the merrier. This also made it so alot of the time you can play any class combination you wanted to and not be stuck to a super strict meta when bodies matter to grab anyone after you got the first 4 key roles set up seeing as this was experience points level content and not endgame level content. Was super fun to know when I logged on there were parties that usually if I came upon them I could just ask to join and instantly be roaming where ever they were going.

I need a balance between solo and group content, this game gets it about right.
They also get the challenge right.
I'd love UO style housing and a Lineage2 trading system/economy, but I'm patient.
I'd also love no level cap, but a more asymptotic levelling system, so while 50 is the soft cap, 51 takes 10 times as long as 50, 52 takes 10 times as long as 51 etc.
Only the truly insane would care about getting to 52, but that progression is still there.

I spend about 60% of my gaming time here, 30% in Lotro and 10% in New World, no game needs to be perfect and there is room to play different things casually.
Thats important, because we are different people everyday also.

Back