What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Worried about the Linux client.

/dev/pie

I know I may be the 0.1% of users who uses Linux as a main OS. However I noticed the client is no longer downloadable. Will this game be available on Linux at release?
I know some people here run the game via proton but there is a HUGE performance drop using the latest proton.

System specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 3070
32GB ddr4 3200mhz
2tb Samsung nvme

I know I may be the 0.1% of users who uses Linux as a main OS. However I noticed the client is no longer downloadable. Will this game be available on Linux at release?
I know some people here run the game via proton but there is a HUGE performance drop using the latest proton.
Hi @Manadecide ! I am doing everything I can to get the linux client to work, but we are unfortunately at the mercy of the Unity engine. Ever since we upgraded to HDRP there have been some lingering issues causing the linux client to crash immediately upon loading a zone. I keep poking it, and report issues when I find them - but they really haven't been prioritizing their linux client :(

People have gotten it to work through Proton. I myself got it working through a couple layers of emulation on MacOS to test out performance. If you already have a beta key I would suggest giving it go through Proton(Steam).

People have gotten it to work through Proton. I myself got it working through a couple layers of emulation on MacOS to test out performance. If you already have a beta key I would suggest giving it go through Proton(Steam).
How's the performance? I tried a couple of times via Steam and Lutris but it was nearly unplayable.

I don't have the beta yet. I searched the forums to see if it was available on Linux first and found this thread.

The performance using proton is unplayable. Whomever has been able to get it to “work” must be playing at 1-10fps.

Great that there is a Linux client. Even if the client crashs, compile it with debug symbols and lets download. I can run it in gdb and give you a stack trace and heap dump if you want and you can simply check source code where the issue is coming from. If it's a Unity library, we can wait for a fix, no problem. Would be happy to test it in the coming open beta, even when it crashs.

I'm going to be testing it using Wine come tomorrow for the beta. I'll let y'all know if I can get it working decently. If I can, I'll let y'all know the tweaks needed to get it running.

Great that there is a Linux client. Even if the client crashs, compile it with debug symbols and lets download. I can run it in gdb and give you a stack trace and heap dump if you want and you can simply check source code where the issue is coming from. If it's a Unity library, we can wait for a fix, no problem. Would be happy to test it in the coming open beta, even when it crashs.
I was thinking the same thing.

Back