What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Feedback Travel Times

is this feedback?

MrDDT

This is a huge issue currently in game and I feel it needs it post on the forums.

The travel times I'm talking about here is the time to move from ring to ring, or zone to zone(s), or town to town.

I've talked a lot of people about this, and I've seen people quit over it and simply just stop playing forever. I do not feel like they are respecting peoples time when you are much higher level traveling around to areas that you've already unlocked and been to many times or much lower level than you.

When it takes 30+ mins to goto another zone to farm materials or find a group that is doing something, this can be a major issue. I've seen parties often break up because someone is in a zone far away and there is no way for them to join the party and play with you, even though they are the same level range as you, within a reasonable time. Simply having 30 or even 20 or 10mins of just wasted time. Doing nothing but holding W while following a road is not fun, and massive waste of time.

I've talked about fixing this issue and Undone and some Loremaster Drindin has told me it's going to be looked at, Undone told us he has plans to add a ember essence travel system that will cost some of this stuff AND be on a long cooldown.
Now I think this is a major issue and the fix for it is still not going to fix it whatsoever, its a punishment system. The cost of this rare essence in combo with a long cooldown is just going to make it feel really bad. I've not seen the system however, just now it's explained to me that Undone doesn't want fast travel because it makes the world feel too small is a major issue.

I've already explored these areas, I've farmed them, hunted them, unlocked all the unlocks etc so I've been to the areas. Why do I need to spend hours and hours running and running from town/zone/ring to town/zone/ring. To be able to play? This is not respecting my time, its not respecting party members times.

Also couple this with the fix I had was log out a toon in different areas to play with different groups, well issue with this is now the fatigue system. I then have to run back and forth to town. Causing more of my friends and party members time (and myself) wasted on doing nothing but running in areas that are not exploring or threats etc.

This wasted time is a major issue for I would think all players. So far I feel like Undone has told us that they have not put in the system but I wanted to post here to discuss the issues I've seen so far on how much this has effected greatly the players.
This is likely a major issue that in my opinion needs to be addressed sooner than later, else you will have bad thoughts on the game, and low people able to give feedback and testing because they simply can't put in the time because so much of it is wasted on this system of running around wasting it.

AND be on a long cooldown.
I think you sometimes get so wrapped up in your arguments that you loose track of who said what. I specifically called you out in discord telling you that I never said that it would be on a long cooldown but here you are, insisting that I did say this. Come on now @MrDDT , don't make me stop loving you.

I think you sometimes get so wrapped up in your arguments that you loose track of who said what. I specifically called you out in discord telling you that I never said that it would be on a long cooldown but here you are, insisting that I did say this. Come on now @MrDDT , don't make me stop loving you.

" hearthstone like ability that would return you to the nearest ember ring/hollow (which would come with a long cooldown) "

This is taken from the patch notes, is this not you posting the patch notes?

This is taken from the patch notes, is this not you posting the patch notes?
hearthstone is not the same as a fast travel to a dungeon/location/etc. Think of the difference between a summoning stone, and a hearthstone in WoW. Very different use cases.

hearthstone is not the same as a fast travel to a dungeon/location/etc. Think of the difference between a summoning stone, and a hearthstone in WoW. Very different use cases.
Good to hear those 2 systems are being added to address the travel times. Good deal.

Thanks again for the replies and I think I just wanted to post here on the forums about it because people have talked so much about it in discord and in game that it gets lost a lot.

I'm not sure where you are going from/to that takes 30 minutes. I've yet to be in a group who complained about the distances in game or the time it takes to get from place to place. It's not a disrespect of your time when they've said all along they want you to see the world. You play the game so many hours/day that you no longer represent the average player. It seems every time I log in you are on one toon or another. Many games, on launch, do not have fast travel because they want you to see the world. Even modern games like Wow disable Flight to force you to travel on land. Yes, they have mounts, so faster than running.

Not all zones are opened up. some of the new zones connect through current zones so your pathing may be different. I'd suggest waiting to see how it all turns out before asking for quick travel and what their solutions are.

It was timed with a stop watch, Dryfoot, to Meadows. We were farming in Dryfoot, and farming in Meadows to the wolves, no run buff and no stops and didnt kill a mob in game.

well maybe you'll get your wish and you can port about at your leisure.

You ever make the run from Wetlands to Ironforge in Wow? Before you had gryphons. Even with Gryphons you had time to go get a drink and use the bathroom.

Getting to the point where the only thing old school feeling will be the combat and even that I see is being nitpicked to death.

well maybe you'll get your wish and you can port about at your leisure.

You ever make the run from Wetlands to Ironforge in Wow? Before you had gryphons. Even with Gryphons you had time to go get a drink and use the bathroom.

Getting to the point where the only thing old school feeling will be the combat and even that I see is being nitpicked to death.
The fact they added gryphons means they had people that said it needs to be better. LOL

I think you going to extremes. I'm not saying remove all travel and insta port everywhere all the time. I'm saying 30mins to travel and you have to do this 3+ times a day is a lot of wasted play time for people.

I also was trying to head off issues from when the other zones get added and travel times will get even longer. With New Haven having the shared bank, some form of travel near the extremes or middle ground (via ship, caravan, balloon, horse like pretty much every game has - for a reason)) to New Haven. Not porting anywhere, anytime. Running from Grizzled peaks or Gorge to town or farther is going to take a significant amount of time that we will all have to do,often, as we level up to those zones. Its worth discussion anyway.
I have fond memories of waiting at the crystal in EQ (15 min timer), I probably didn't like it at the time lol but had some fun there regardless, Not so much at the WOW ship but that may have been due to it being on a dock or just different audience. If there was a fast travel option from 1 or 2 locations to New Haven, what would be a good fit for EA? Now, this could be a mute point with Ember dust travel or whatever the Devs are thinking but since we don't know what will be possible, a few ideas won't hurt. There are stables placed all over the world already, so some form of horse renting to travel from one point to another might fit - I don't mean from every town but I would welcome it at the farther travel points back to town.

Since the town of New Haven will be the center of activity due to it being the only location for the shared bank, I could see having a "bind" option where you complete some kind of quest or activity in the town to unlock it. Once unlocked, you would be allowed to use your ember to port back to the city like once an hour. It would provide a quicker way to exit a dungeon, get you back to town after a long day of farming mats, and cut probably half of your travel time off if you want to go between ML and DF frequently. It would be the only thing that would "make sense" to me in that the largest group of settlers are in the city and you could say they came up with a way to port to some ember portal ring that they developed in the city. Once more zones are added, I suppose you could add one or two more locations to "bind" yourself to if there becomes a need for it.

Lay of the Land (although, maybe another class should have something too?) is plenty imo. As levels get higher, and LotL gets better, those travel times will come down. Warden = meta. Woot!

Many of these QoL type requests in my humble opinion are the difference between a virtual World and a combat simulator RPG.

I honestly don't understand the desire to turn EA in to yet another game where you click a button, go in to queue and insta port to your combat group. It reduces the World to almost a FPS/RPG hybrid where you just go in to each map and fight, exit to screen, repeat.

I don't want a combat dungeon map sim, I want an old school MMORPG world that requires LIVING in it, not just going from fight to fight as fast as possible to rush to end game and eat up content, forgetting about 90% of the rest of the game.

Someone in your group is almost always going to have the Ember / be off cooldown. It will be 100% when you log in you can get a summon to your guildies.

I pretty much lump them all together between fast travel, death penalty/corpse run, darkness, slow combat, wounds, etc etc.

It's the thing about there is no light without dark, there is no excitement without true risk, the accomplishment feels all the better the more difficult something is. That is the difference between EQ vanilla IN 1999 and WoW dungeon finder.

If I wanted to play a nonstop zerg fest / loot fest / speed run game there are a ton of options, this is Not supposed to be one of those. Sorry the hyperbole was on purpose /respect MrDDT

Last edited:
Since the town of New Haven will be the center of activity due to it being the only location for the shared bank, I could see having a "bind" option where you complete some kind of quest or activity in the town to unlock it. Once unlocked, you would be allowed to use your ember to port back to the city like once an hour. It would provide a quicker way to exit a dungeon, get you back to town after a long day of farming mats, and cut probably half of your travel time off if you want to go between ML and DF frequently. It would be the only thing that would "make sense" to me in that the largest group of settlers are in the city and you could say they came up with a way to port to some ember portal ring that they developed in the city. Once more zones are added, I suppose you could add one or two more locations to "bind" yourself to if there becomes a need for it.
I like the idea of a 'hearthstone' to NH on a long cooldown, especially if it will be somewhat centrally located.

My thoughts on travel: It's not so bad if you have something to do along the way. Right now those options are fairly limited: harvesting, chatting, taking in the sights, or inspecting your character's inventory and stats... what else? Obviously there are limits to the occupation of time to all of these. Harvesting obsolete low level mats becomes pointless or your current character doesn't harvest at all or you need to get straight to the party's camp, maybe you only have so much to say and are all out of bubblegum, ok you've seen this a hundred times before, you are one with yourself. Now what?

If there was a way to add a little more value to traveling (finding rare/named spawns is nice) or something to do en-route, maybe that would help. Even something simple like if you could start recovering stamina fatigue and wounds after being out of combat for 10 minutes and traveling, this would allow you to spend time on the move instead of sitting at a ring. Just a spitball example, yes that idea has a lot of flaws.

I can live with no fast-travel, but I also see the problems it causes and how it could discourage player recruitment/retention. Well, lots of things can be discouraging, so where do lines get drawn? WoW kept walking back constantly on the difficulty + daily limits on token and rep gains. Once you start 'appeasing', where does it end?

1) I don't want or think it should be click 1 button and insta port everywhere. I think there is vast difference from clicking insta port and running 30mins to join a group, or town to storage etc. Then another 30mins back from storage to your group. Can we have it somewhere in the middle?
2) We don't know how ember stones are going to work or if they are even going to be able to port with them, so umm unless you know more than the devs have told us many times and in this thread, I don't think this is true.
3) Again not wanting it to be a speed run but I also don't want to waste my time on traveling over and over again.

Thanks for your input but I don't see this as what I want as you are claiming it.

Much like people say "Oh you going to have an AH oh that means the game is WOW", because you have a system in game doesn't make it another game. I think you can put in smart systems that make the game fun and focus on the fun and not focus on the tediousness of stuff. Running over and over to areas you've already been dozens if not 100s of times is not fun, its called wasting your time.

My personal concerns with the Travel Time is group gathering. I personally enjoy to have to ride from one point to another. I've all the GM commands and I'm not using them on purpose to really *feel* the experience of the players and experience the pain point as everyone else. And I must say, I'm not even tempted to use them (unless I'm helping players)
However, I do use a lot the "I summon you to the group" thing. I feel like the Warlock summoning ritual in World of Warcraft was neat. It requiered the Warlock and 2 others to activate it, allowing 2 players in the party to be summoned. I think a system similar to that would be needed to allow players to play together fast and convenient, without removing the "effort" and the adventure feel of travelling. After all our game is all about groupplay, therefor helping out groups forming is important. Individuals can continue to run :p

Lay of the Land (although, maybe another class should have something too?) is plenty imo. As levels get higher, and LotL gets better, those travel times will come down. Warden = meta. Woot!
LotL Does not improve. I checked with the alt-hover and there are no further ranks of it at this time.

1) I don't want or think it should be click 1 button and insta port everywhere. I think there is vast difference from clicking insta port and running 30mins to join a group, or town to storage etc. Then another 30mins back from storage to your group. Can we have it somewhere in the middle?
2) We don't know how ember stones are going to work or if they are even going to be able to port with them, so umm unless you know more than the devs have told us many times and in this thread, I don't think this is true.
3) Again not wanting it to be a speed run but I also don't want to waste my time on traveling over and over again.

Thanks for your input but I don't see this as what I want as you are claiming it.

Much like people say "Oh you going to have an AH oh that means the game is WOW", because you have a system in game doesn't make it another game. I think you can put in smart systems that make the game fun and focus on the fun and not focus on the tediousness of stuff. Running over and over to areas you've already been dozens if not 100s of times is not fun, its called wasting your time.
I'm having a hard time placing who or what you are responding to.

Back