What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

The problem with personal desires in an MMORPG.

Hi guys!

I wanted to talk to you about something that's on my mind.
I keep asking myself what has actually happened in the MMORPG scene in the last few years?

I find it unbearable that it has become a trend, that everyone seems to know exactly what everyone would like best... and what the game would have to be like for it to be totally successful. It feels like we've all become a generation of know-it-alls. Some scream for Quest XP, others scream for faster leveling in general...shorter cooldowns. I bet some people would also be happy about an action combat system. And I don’t mean that in a dismissive way about suggestions. That helps us all move forward and discussions in themselves are a good thing.
However, the way some of these are run has become truly terrible.

I've read posts here in the forum from people who were really just complaining. And in such a derogatory way. Always with the same statement. If you don't change this and that then the game won't work. And it is acted as if one's own opinion is supported by the vast majority. And everyone who sees otherwise has no idea. Where does that come from? Do you go to the cinema today and watch a film and then write an email to the screenwriter and director saying how everyone in the cinema would have liked the film better?

I just think that's a shame. We are a community and everyone who writes here in the forum is not here because they don't like the game at all. And unlike big studios, here we have developers who really listen. Let's keep the nature of the discussion objective and fair. With all the ideas and suggestions, please remember that there may be a lot of players who would find your wishes totally bad if they were implemented like this.

With all the great or not so great suggestions, we should all keep in mind that this game is not programmed for us personally. But for many other players too.
At the end of the day, we should also realize that sometimes it's just a matter of whether we like things or not. And not every wish that you personally would like comes true. Because we are no longer at home with Mom and Dad...we form a community with very different types of players. And everyone would like to have different things.

And the developers have the damn hard job of deciding how the game should feel. They've done a great job so far!

Thanks for reading and see you soon ingame!

Grouping requirements suck and ostracize the solo player and no one likes them and they're not fun and people get kicked out of groups and there's lots of drama and solo players should just play single player games anyway.

Versus -

As a solo player I would like to see more of the solo friendly content added. I think there is a sizable population who simply can't or doesn't want to commit to long sessions of more focused and responsible play. I even think it might be overall profitable to put some development time toward this.

One of these is a perfectly normal and mature expression of one's preferences about the game.

Grouping requirements suck and ostracize the solo player and no one likes them and they're not fun and people get kicked out of groups and there's lots of drama and solo players should just play single player games anyway.

Versus -

As a solo player I would like to see more of the solo friendly content added. I think there is a sizable population who simply can't or doesn't want to commit to long sessions of more focused and responsible play. I even think it might be overall profitable to put some development time toward this.

One of these is a perfectly normal and mature expression of one's preferences about the game.
You hit exactly the point I wanted to make. The way and manner is simply very important and the respectful handling and form is simply everything. Because they should be suggestions and not demands.

I largely agree with your sentiment here. I think it's safe to assume that most, if not all, of us here are adults and should be able to communicate as such. One thing I do want to point out though, is that this cuts both ways. I've seen plenty of toxic complaints here on the forum, and when I was more active in the game I offered my share of criticisms too. I always made sure to put my ideas out there in a respectful way, and usually offered ideas / examples to support my critiques. But honestly some of the most toxic behaviors I have seen on these forums came from the people who like the game just the way it is. Being dismissive, name calling, personal attacks on people's character, shaming people about their finances when they say the game costs too much before the sub became optional and I could go on.

So while I agree, toxic complaining doesn't do anyone any good, I also think it's important that we steer clear of toxic support. That is equally damaging to the community, and honestly I would say most likely even more damaging than complaints. When I go to any game forum I expect to see the disgruntled and unhappy people complaining. But when I see the white knights coming out with their toxic gatekeeping and personal attacks it makes me think twice about joining that community. If those are the regulars, they aren't people I want to spend my limited free time with.

So yes, let's all keep it friendly and constructive. And if you get all in your emotions when people make complaints about your favorite game or suggestion for changes you don't like. Take a deep breathe and find a way to disagree that doesn't push them out of the community altogether. Everyone here has some amount of interest in the game, and it's important to keep as many of them around as possible.

The most important thing I have learned over the past few years is that almost everyone is here for the same reason. That is they find something about the game that they like and have ideas on what they think would make it better. As developers we try our best to take things in stride and understand the root cause of player concerns so that we can address the problem in our own way. Some suggestions just don't fit what we are going for, some require a massive technical overhaul that we simply can't afford to tackle right now with such a small team, while others serve as inspiration that leads us to a solution we hadn't considered before.

Making an MMO is an impossible task. Making an MMO that pleases everyone is even more of an impossible task. As a company we are well aware of the deficiencies of our product and are working tirelessly to improve the game every day. Developing a game like this takes far more time than most realize so actions taken by the team to address concerns can sometimes take weeks or months.

At the end of the day Embers Adrift would not exist without constructive feedback from the community as a whole. You all have helped shape this game and continue to do so. I am extremely saddened when I see a post devolve into name calling and insult slinging. All of which I think could easily be avoided if people paid a bit more attention to the tone in which they presented their ideas and suggestions. Everyone's opinions are welcome here, positive or negative. I just wish folks would recognize a simple disagreement for what it is and stop taking things so personally. Have a discussion, try to understand where the other person is coming from, communicate like adults :)

Back