What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Starter Crafting Quest Turn-in Options?

Battlestorm

<Apologies if this has already been discussed ad nauseam>

I always gravitate towards making my own metal armor, so when I had to start my crafting journey by picking a harvesting skill I naturally chose prospector. After getting to level 6 in prospecting, I had a quest to speak to Marreka (sp) to pick up a crafting skill - Outfitting. Then she gave me a quest for an outfitter...and the requirement was to make LiNeN pAnTs. Unfortunately, I couldn't make linen as I wasn't versed in forestry - and I didn't want to give up on prospecting. Also, if I wanted to make my own Metal armor it looks like I'd have needed leather...from a Hunter.

There are so many kind souls running around that I was eventually able to get exactly what I needed from a group member (thank you, Latro). I also realize that this mechanic directly aligns with the intended gameplay (grouping). I turned in the quest, successfully, but...it felt a little disheartening for a starter crafting quest. It would be nice if players could pick any combination of harvesting/crafting profession and somehow still be able to compete the quest - perhaps increase the types of items that could be crafted to satisfy the quest line? Maybe just crafting any item (an item tagged w/ "made by <player handing me the item>") would suffice? Just a thought.

As an aside, I'll be honest, non-stop dependencies on each other for crafting materials makes me feel a little...burdensome (more on this in the footnote, below). Sure, I can offer ingots and/or jewels, I know. In my perfect little world, it would be nice if all players could perform all harvest/crafting spheres (or at least just harvesting), though I realize that's doesn't line up with the game's MO - which I'm fine with, either way. I'm just a busy person and don't get a lot of game-time. It would be nice if crafting (even if only basic, Tier 1 stuff) wasn't stage-gated behind the grouping mechanic.

Footnote: Many of the players I've talked to are running multiple toons so they can take care of all harvesting/crafting spheres without dependencies on other players. With that in mind, it's really providing an advantage to players who have more time on their hands (2x characters, all harvesting/crafting spheres). Meanwhile, I'll likely be stuck with time for only 1 character and the burden of begging/trading.

This is something we can work on changing in the polish phase, but we're focusing on getting more quests in the game rn too. Good feedback, I'll swing around to it.

This is something we can work on changing in the polish phase, but we're focusing on getting more quests in the game rn too. Good feedback, I'll swing around to it.
I agree, not something to rush before launch as it’s not a major deterrent. Thanks for acknowledging!

Back