What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Random thoughts

Valkon

Crafting still seems a bit too bland with a noted lack of ... for lack of better word ... uniqueness. Would it be possible to add another component to gear-related recipes to allow for reagents to be added? For example, adding 500 or 1000 numbing agents to a dagger to add a similar, permanent augment to said weapon. Wouldn't have to be exactly the same but something along those lines. You'd have to acquire enough of the reagent to apply to the gear as sort of a mini-(non)quest quest in order to earn such an upgrade, but it would make for more personalized weapons/armor/tools. Quantity would need to be high enough to gain a sense of achievement, but no so high that you outlevel the item before it can be crafted.

On a second topic, what types of stats would you like to see added to leather armor that warrant using that class of armor? Everyone seems to wear just metal or highest ac/aw at least.

Crafting will get specs at some point in the near future. These will have much more specialized recipes that should spice things up a bit for you.

I thought it was awesome I was able to farm out and craft all the copper armor for my Defender (now knight). I really felt accomplished at such an early level (4) and was excited. Then I tried to equip... nope, weighs way too much... so I think; this is fine, I will level to 6, Specialize in Knight, and gain 65 more armor weight... that must be the heavy armor tank and I can finally beef up... Nope.

Truly feels like a letdown that the armor weight system is so brutally oppressive.

I thought it was awesome I was able to farm out and craft all the copper armor for my Defender (now knight). I really felt accomplished at such an early level (4) and was excited. Then I tried to equip... nope, weighs way too much... so I think; this is fine, I will level to 6, Specialize in Knight, and gain 65 more armor weight... that must be the heavy armor tank and I can finally beef up... Nope.

Truly feels like a letdown that the armor weight system is so brutally oppressive.
This X 100.
We cant even wear a full set of leather armor, that basically our grandma could wear. And evidently the basic copper plate armor, is an inch think or some thing with how insanely heavy it is. The thing the devs dont seem to understand or worse choose not to understand, is that not how medieval armor works from what I have studied over the years. Blacksmiths made various quality of armors just like anything else. Basic armors were not near as thick and heavy as more expensive armor sets. The copper armor in Embers is the very lowest tier metal armor in game, it should not be super thick and heavy. The same can be said of leather armor, it too has various quality, thickness, and weight to it depending on how much a person would pay. But even "heavy" leather armor should not be so restrictive, is the leather armor in Embers also an inch thick?

Armor weight makes about as much sense as when holding a torch in our off hand, magically we cant do a damn thing in our right. And we cant drop torches on the ground or place a lantern down on the ground so we can then fight...even at a very reduced light output. Standing torches magically only last 5 minutes, but our basic torch is infinite(basic torch is fine, ground torches not so much). And for some reason when sitting we cant eat or drink or hold a torch. I love this game, but I wish a few things could change a little.

This X 100.
We cant even wear a full set of leather armor, that basically our grandma could wear. And evidently the basic copper plate armor, is an inch think or some thing with how insanely heavy it is. The thing the devs dont seem to understand or worse choose not to understand, is that not how medieval armor works from what I have studied over the years. Blacksmiths made various quality of armors just like anything else. Basic armors were not near as thick and heavy as more expensive armor sets. The copper armor in Embers is the very lowest tier metal armor in game, it should not be super thick and heavy. The same can be said of leather armor, it too has various quality, thickness, and weight to it depending on how much a person would pay. But even "heavy" leather armor should not be so restrictive, is the leather armor in Embers also an inch thick?

Armor weight makes about as much sense as when holding a torch in our off hand, magically we cant do a damn thing in our right. And we cant drop torches on the ground or place a lantern down on the ground so we can then fight...even at a very reduced light output. Standing torches magically only last 5 minutes, but our basic torch is infinite(basic torch is fine, ground torches not so much). And for some reason when sitting we cant eat or drink or hold a torch. I love this game, but I wish a few things could change a little.
We recognize that our armor system is going against the grain a bit. Because the natural inclination is to fill a slot if you have it. Our system purposely bucks that trend as you can't wear a full suit of outer armor until later levels. And while yes, that may not be how medieval armor works, you also have to recognize this is a video game and not real life; not everything is going to "make sense" from a real life perspective because well...it's a video game. :)

Last edited:
We recognize that our armor system is going against the grain a bit. Because the natural inclination is to fill a slot if you have it. Our system purposely bucks that trend as you can't wear a full suit of outer armor until later levels. And while yes, that may not be how medieval armor works, you also have to recognize this is a video game and not real life; not everything is going to "make sense" from a real life perspective because well...it's a video game.
Very true games many times dont reflect real life. Its just that the armor weight system seems very punishing right now and does not make much sense to me is all. The other things with the torches are just basic logic really.

Either way keep up the good work on this little gem of a game, love it so far!

Last edited:
I think the armor weight system makes more sense this way. The squires of old were trained in arms for years wearing gambeson and leather not plate. Knight's also required lots of training when they got their mail as it required changes in movement and fighting style to compensate for bulk as much as weight. So having to wait until you are a seasoned Knight to be able to wear a full set makes sense in that context. Just because MMOs let new people wear all armor pieces while Embers Adrift does not just reflects the additional training. If you started as a Knight and could not wear most of a set of armor, that would be a little more odd, but you start as a defender. So you just wear a breastplate and some leather to fill what slots you can and add more as you level. It's just another type of progression.

I think the armor weight system makes more sense this way. The squires of old were trained in arms for years wearing gambeson and leather not plate. Knight's also required lots of training when they got their mail as it required changes in movement and fighting style to compensate for bulk as much as weight. So having to wait until you are a seasoned Knight to be able to wear a full set makes sense in that context. Just because MMOs let new people wear all armor pieces while Embers Adrift does not just reflects the additional training. If you started as a Knight and could not wear most of a set of armor, that would be a little more odd, but you start as a defender. So you just wear a breastplate and some leather to fill what slots you can and add more as you level. It's just another type of progression.
Even once a player becomes a knight, you are still extremely restricted on how much armor you can wear. Its just a very restrictive and punishing system. There is no other way to say it without being honest. Hell at least give the lvl 6 tank classes enough armor weight to wear a copper chest piece and leg plates Right now to wear a full set of even copper armor, what level do you have to be? 20? 30? maybe 40??? And thats the lowest tier metal armor in game, which should be the thinnest and lightest metal armor set, yet we have to level up a ton just to wear a full set..

GUESS I NEED TO LEVEL UP TO 30+ just so I CAN WEAR SOME LOWBIE COPPER ARMOR!!! woooohoooo!!! :pPPPPP

Even once a player becomes a knight, you are still extremely restricted on how much armor you can wear. Its just a very restrictive and punishing system. There is no other way to say it without being honest. Hell at least give the lvl 6 tank classes enough armor weight to wear a copper chest piece and leg plates Right now to wear a full set of even copper armor, what level do you have to be? 20? 30? maybe 40??? And thats the lowest tier metal armor in game, which should be the thinnest and lightest metal armor set, yet we have to level up a ton just to wear a full set..

GUESS I NEED TO LEVEL UP TO 30+ just so I CAN WEAR SOME LOWBIE COPPER ARMOR!!! woooohoooo!!! :pPPPPP
Higher tiered armor does not necessarily weigh more. Each SLOT has a range of potential armor weights (you can see these values in the tooltip when you hover over an empty armor slot). This means that a level 10 copper chest is very likely going to have roughly the same armor weight as a level 30 chest. There is a little wiggle room in there for us to make rare pieces that break that rule, but most of the time it is followed. And yes, as a knight you likely will not be able to equip a full suit of outer armor until around level 30. That's part of your character's progression.

• Wow
Reactions: CWB
Higher tiered armor does not necessarily weigh more. Each SLOT has a range of potential armor weights (you can see these values in the tooltip when you hover over an empty armor slot). This means that a level 10 copper chest is very likely going to have roughly the same armor weight as a level 30 chest. There is a little wiggle room in there for us to make rare pieces that break that rule, but most of the time it is followed. And yes, as a knight you likely will not be able to equip a full suit of outer armor until around level 30. That's part of your character's progression.
So I have to level to 30, just to wear a tier ONE suit of armor? o_O..... That does not seem restrictive or punishing to you on any level the need to level all the way to 30 when the level cap is only 50, on a tank class, JUST to wear the basic metal armor set??!?

So I have to level to 30, just to wear a tier ONE suit of armor? o_O..... That does not seem restrictive or punishing to you on any level the need to level all the way to 30 when the level cap is only 50, on a tank class, JUST to wear the basic metal armor set??!?
No. I think you are misunderstanding. Every SLOT has a weight range that is entirely independent of tier/level/etc. As an example - a metal chest piece at level 1 will have the same weight as a metal chest piece at level 50. In other words - once you max out your armor weight and can equip a full set of armor you should mostly be good to go for the rest of the game.

Instead of unlocking specific slots as you level your character we went with the armor weight system that allows you to mix & match which slots you want to prioritize as you level. Not all characters will be able to equip a "full" set of armor. Strikers for example, may be able to equip a full set of light armor but will likely need to find rare light pieces to avoid going over their armor weight. Defenders on the other hand should have no problem equipping heavier armor at later levels.

No. I think you are misunderstanding. Every SLOT has a weight range that is entirely independent of tier/level/etc. As an example - a metal chest piece at level 1 will have the same weight as a metal chest piece at level 50. In other words - once you max out your armor weight and can equip a full set of armor you should mostly be good to go for the rest of the game.

Instead of unlocking specific slots as you level your character we went with the armor weight system that allows you to mix & match which slots you want to prioritize as you level. Not all characters will be able to equip a "full" set of armor. Strikers for example, may be able to equip a full set of light armor but will likely need to find rare light pieces to avoid going over their armor weight. Defenders on the other hand should have no problem equipping heavier armor at later levels.
Yes the problem still is having to level all the way to 30, just to wear basic tier one plate(or anything else). But also as I have explained before, not all armor should be the same they can vastly differ in thickness, quality, etc. A tier one plate set of armor shouldnt be super thick and super high quality, but also it wont weigh near as much as a higher end set because it should be thinner. I tier one set of plate or leather etc should not be as heavy as the upper level sets at all, that makes no sense... It seems strange on multiple levels in Embers. A tier one plate set which should be a cheap, thin set of armor, somehow weighs the same as upper level higher end plate??? o_O And having to level up to only 20 levels from the max level cap just to wear a basic set of armor is extremely punishing. Just the weight of leather armor seems ridiculously heavy, which again makes no sense.

Even now that you explain the system it still makes no sense to have to level all the way to 30, in a very slow leveling game just to wear a full set of armor. This is even more so for tank classes who should be able to wear heavy armor early on, because they are tanks and trained to do so more than any other class. The entire armor weight system, regardless of how you explain it, is very punishing and restrictive. Low tier armors of all types should not weight exactly the same as higher level sets... I >>love<< Embers Adrift and will continue to support it, but this entire armor weight deal simply goes against logic and needs a nice big hit with the nerf bat so its not as extremely restrictive like it is now.

It sounds like you are getting hung up on the fact that you can't fill all/most of your slots without incurring a penalty? We recognize that this is contrary to other games and is an uphill battle with your expectations. But at the end of the day that's the whole point of the system. This is a game so not everything is going to "make sense" looking at it through the lens of real life. Players have to choose what stats they want to prioritize in their gear choices that fit within their character's limitations.

Yes the problem still is having to level all the way to 30, just to wear basic tier one plate(or anything else). But also as I have explained before, not all armor should be the same they can vastly differ in thickness, quality, etc. A tier one plate set of armor shouldnt be super thick and super high quality, but also it wont weigh near as much as a higher end set because it should be thinner. I tier one set of plate or leather etc should not be as heavy as the upper level sets at all, that makes no sense... It seems strange on multiple levels in Embers. A tier one plate set which should be a cheap, thin set of armor, somehow weighs the same as upper level higher end plate??? o_O And having to level up to only 20 levels from the max level cap just to wear a basic set of armor is extremely punishing. Just the weight of leather armor seems ridiculously heavy, which again makes no sense.
All armor SLOTS in our game weigh the same based on light/med/heavy protection. Chest and legs weigh more than bracers or greaves. And you do not have to level all the way to 30 to wear basic plate - you can put on any piece you want - you just can't don a full suit of it. The "thickness" and "quality" you speak of is represented in the protection levels and stats the armor provides, not the armor weight. We could have represented this as anything - "armor knowledge" or something but "armor weight" just made the most sense thematically at the time because more protective pieces had a higher requirement and were typically more metal in nature.

Even now that you explain the system it still makes no sense to have to level all the way to 30, in a very slow leveling game just to wear a full set of armor. This is even more so for tank classes who should be able to wear heavy armor early on, because they are tanks and trained to do so more than any other class.
It's a different form of progression. As I mentioned earlier we allow you to fill ANY slot as you level up. The alternative was locking specific slots until later levels - but we felt that provided less of a choice to the player - not to mention less loot variety at low levels. Tanks DO get to wear more heavy armor early on because their armor weight budget starts higher and grows more quickly than strikers or supporters. The things you are asking for area already there - just not in the amount you want them to be. Armor does not define your role in Embers Adrift. Your fighting style and weapon choices do.

The entire armor weight system, regardless of how you explain it, is very punishing and restrictive. Low tier armors of all types should not weight exactly the same as higher level sets... I >>love<< Embers Adrift and will continue to support it, but this entire armor weight deal simply goes against logic and needs a nice big hit with the nerf bat so its not as extremely restrictive like it is now.
Going over your armor weight is meant to be punishing and restrictive. The entire system is designed around you NOT filling all of your slots at early levels and allowing you more freedom as you level up.

@Undone

*It sounds like you are getting hung up on the fact that you can't fill all/most of your slots without incurring a penalty?*
Yes, because having to level to 30 just to wear a full set of tier one armor that in no way shape or form should weigh as much as higher end heaver plate makes no sense, especially considering level cap is only 50.

*We recognize that this is contrary to other games and is an uphill battle with your expectations.*
Yes in over 20 plus years of MMORPGs I have never seen such a restrictive and punishing system for wearing armor.

*But at the end of the day that's the whole point of the system.*
o_O

*This is a game so not everything is going to "make sense" looking at it through the lens of real life.*
Its not just real life its just basic logic. So human players in Embers are just so horribly weak, they have to level all the way to 30 just to wear a full set of lowbie plate? Even leather armor is punishing. My grandma could have worn a full set of leather armor, but we cant in Embers? o_O

Players have to choose what stats they want to prioritize in their gear choices that fit within their character's limitations.
You mean artificial limitations by a overly punishing armor weight system...Tank classes should at least be able to wear a chest piece and maybe legs even as a NEW character, they are trained for it. Other classes should be able to wear the same slots in leather.

*All armor SLOTS in our game weigh the same based on light/med/heavy protection.*
Doesnt change the end result of needing level 30 just to wear lowbie plate, or even a full set of leather probably for a lot of classes I think?

Chest and legs weigh more than bracers or greaves.
And they are far too heavy. Lowbie plate even breast plate or leg plates should not be so heavy, its tier one copper armor its not heavy plate it should be thin, cheap "plate"... Think more along some of the "show armor" you see at medieval shows etc.

*And you do not have to level all the way to 30 to wear basic plate - you can put on any piece you want - you just can't don a full suit of it.*
You have to be at least 30 to wear a full set of even the lowest tier plate, and that STILL makes no sense on any level. And even trying to wear just a few pieces of it at various lower levels is severely punishing, Even for tank classes.

*The "thickness" and "quality" you speak of is represented in the protection levels and stats the armor provides, not the armor weight. We could have represented this as anything - "armor knowledge" or something but "armor weight" just made the most sense thematically at the time because more protective pieces had a higher requirement and were typically more metal in nature.*
It makes NO sense actually. Like I said already, lower tier armors should NOT be as thick and heavy and protective, as the very first tier of armor a lowbie character can craft. But as you said things making sense and being based in logic, is something you have chosen to avoid in Embers for this situation....o_O That is the part I dont understand. Players being able to be a bit more armored should be fine, considering the power level of MANY mobs in the game. Three and four cheveron mobs are all over, and Im just talking the lowbie areas still let alone dungeons etc. The stats on armor of course as you mention will vary/increase such as protection levels, stats, etc as you go higher up in the tiers. But to have all plate armor be the same weight makes no sense, and only enables this extremely punishing "armor weight" system to exist in the first place. Why are you so intent on players being so incredibly restricted on wearing armor? What possible benefit does it add to the game, other then frustration to the players to constantly have to battle, a overly punishing system?

*It's a different form of progression.*
Thats not progression as much as a restriction of it.

*As I mentioned earlier we allow you to fill ANY slot as you level up.*
Yes I see players running around looking silly as if they forgot to put on all their armor, NOT because they want to look this way, because of your extra punishing armor weight system. ^-^

*The alternative was locking specific slots until later levels - but we felt that provided less of a choice to the player - not to mention less loot variety at low levels.*
The alternative is a less punishing system, no need to lock any slots. A few very simple tweaks to the current, extremely restrictive system is all that is needed to make it more fair and far less frustrating. We dont need a full plate set at level one thats not what Im asking. But iIt was such a let down to roll a tank, and find out Im stuck in cloth and leather armor, because as soon as I put on just a tier one metal chest plate I now had a list of nasty red colored penalties on my character screen.

*Tanks DO get to wear more heavy armor early on because their armor weight budget starts higher and grows more quickly than strikers or supporters.*
And its STILL extremely restrictive to the point of what you just said means very little. The bonus to armor weight for at least the tank classes, should be much more...they are tanks, heavy armor should be like a 2nd skin to them....

*The things you are asking for area already there - just not in the amount you want them to be.*
Yes those things "are there" just not really there until you hit freekin' level 30 to wear a full set of lowbie plate LOL!!! :p

*Armor does not define your role in Embers Adrift. Your fighting style and weapon choices do.*
Raw ARMOR rating, is one one of the MAIN reasons tanks can tank, period, in any game, INCLUDING Embers. Its about that high mitigation of damage, and more than anything else that is achieved through the armor that tank wears. The other mitigation would be spell resistance, but with Embers not currently having any real magic its not much of an issue. I get what you are saying about the rolls, but its armor that is the main determining factor here.

Even a skilled tank cant tank well in without enough armor, regardless of his class of tank.

How about you possibly consider giving JUST the tank classes, a nice boost to their armor weight stat? It would be MUCH more fair. Let everyone else struggle to wear a bunch of armor until later, ok no problem they are not tanks. But for crying out loud at least give the actual tank classes a bit more breathing room on the plate, because now its VERY restrictive. Could you at least think of this at a possible option? Just for the tanks maybe? Also, thanks for this discussion on this I know Im not the only one concerned on armor weight.

Last edited:
We're going in circles here so this will just have to be an instance where we agree to disagree. You not liking our design choices is totally fine. We still appreciate the feedback. However, do not expect us to make any significant changes to the armor weight system any time in the near future.

How about you possibly consider giving JUST the tank classes, a nice boost to their armor weight stat?
And just for reference - this is already true. Defenders have much more armor weight capacity when compared to strikers and supporters.

Also, thanks for this discussion on this
Any time!

Last edited:
Raw ARMOR rating, is one one of the MAIN reasons tanks can tank, period, in any game, INCLUDING Embers. Its about that high mitigation of damage, and more than anything else that is achieved through the armor that tank wears. The other mitigation would be spell resistance, but with Embers not currently having any real magic its not much of an issue. I get what you are saying about the rolls, but its armor that is the main determining factor here.
Another factor to consider here is what we as designers know exactly how much armor a tank can wear at any given level. And with that information we balanced NPCs appropriately. If we were to allow you to wear a full suit of armor to maintain the current balance we would have to nerf the AC on all armor accordingly.

At the end of the day the ONLY real difference between what you are asking for and what we have is the additional little "mini game" of trying to wear as many protective pieces as possible while staying within your budget which involves making choices along the way. If you could don a full suit of armor right from the get go there is no decision space there - you just equip things and keep moving.

Another factor to consider here is what we as designers know exactly how much armor a tank can wear at any given level. And with that information we balanced NPCs appropriately. If we were to allow you to wear a full suit of armor to maintain the current balance we would have to nerf the AC on all armor accordingly.

At the end of the day the ONLY real difference between what you are asking for and what we have is the additional little "mini game" of trying to wear as many protective pieces as possible while staying within your budget which involves making choices along the way. If you could don a full suit of armor right from the get go there is no decision space there - you just equip things and keep moving.
Again, not asking for a full set of plate at lvl 1.......

More armor weight capacity for tanks really at this point at the very least, which currently is extremely limiting. Tanks are trained and used to wearing full armor, it should be a second skin to them especially once they pick their first sub class. The fact that tanks have a bit more armor weight then other classes when the armor weight situation is so incredibly restrictive across in the first place, means basically nothing because even with that little bit extra....they are still sadly restricted.

But like I said I will support this game regardless of what happens on armor weight even though it IS 100% a extremely punishing and restrictive system now. You can spin it any way you like, and that fact will remain very solid.
Looks like I just need to level all the way up to 30 so I can wear a full set of even lowbie plate lol :p

Actually I just heard a armorsmith in game say he did the math and a knight wont be able to wear a full set of plate until 43....sheeeesh lol.

Last edited:
Back