What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Random things I'd like to see

But their movement buff is only active on initial aggro? Once that wears off they should move at the same speed as you do no?
Maybe I'm wrong, concerning humanoids. But all the other monsters get notably faster with Chevron increases.

I sometimes must chase archers around, due to having sometime 2 melee sets equipped. When I do, it really stinks for the aforementioned reason. But that's a tanks lot 100% of the time. Often times their armor penalizes combat movement, I'm sure compounding the issue.

Ranged mob stays at range to its target and players have methods of holding aggro at range (even if those methods aren't on the normal tank classes)
As a beserker, I can build the threat and hold it with a bow, I can even half assed tank it for 20 seconds with guts. Not all the strikers can say this. Really only the beserker. The brigand might not even be capable of holding the threat. The warden cant really tank it. A yellow con 3-chev archer is worse than any boss I've encountered in this game. That really seems like a problem in my book. I'm not saying there aren't ways to take it on, but nothing close to trivial, and in a multi-monster fight, it's just deadly as you can get.

Are they that unpredictable?
Yes, because there's no way to ensure that they stick to one character, and whoever they do stick to has to move to range, causing them to drop from the top aggro.

The closest thing to a strategy available now is to have everyone use their ranged attack from the same spot far away from the enemy, so no matter who they target, they don't have to move to shoot them. The downside to this is that in most party comps have ranged DPS much lower than melee, supports have a much harder time keeping strikers standing, and the tank has nothing that they can do except sit there and throw knives for meaningless levels of damage.

Best method I've found for my group comp, you CC the archer. The tank or OT uses every aggro taunt they have to try and build threat while they are CCd, and the OT or tank focuses on the other take down targets.

After 1-2 eliminations, the party then focuses on the archer, while the tank presumably holds aggro.

2 issues.

In healing heavy fights, the tank might not have been able to out threat the healer. Since they havent had melee damaging on the table.

The shots the thing takes between CCs, especially 3-chev yellows are devastating. Any 1 can drop a non-topped off support or striker. So it requires a great deal of attention, caution, and timing.

Honestly, the tank is the tank for a reason, and when you have anyone but the beserker (for 20seconds) trying to do their job, you quickly find out why you use a tank. This mob type is a real mofo

i usually just switch to a ranged weapon when I encounter these. If you don't move, they won't move. Sure, it means the Tank isn't going to be able to help, but like Undone said, they can focus on melee mobs and let the ranged deal with ranged. Problem is, as it's been in the past, learning a different style of gaming vs the zerg method all other MMO's have taught us.

I definitely don't zerg.

The higher level you get the less you are able to burst these down, like you seem to be enjoying now. Their HP pool only gets deeper in proportion to your DPS. They will knock down "ranged dealing with ranged" and run your healers out of mana in the process, and you will bag run.

When you get into the upper levels, you have to hope that your tank can bootstring stack aggro on it, while you steadily DPS it down. I'm lucky to have the highest level tank on the server in my party, who knows how to do this. I'd just like a tank to have a tool that they can leverage their abilities through, like a heavy X-bow or an equipable Throwing Axe/Knife, so it's not a bootstring sketchy process required, for a monster with a junk loot table. Or the monsters to play by realistic rules and not fire a bow in melee combat. There are other possibilities... but I'm just repeating myself.

I definitely don't zerg.

The higher level you get the less you are able to burst these down, like you seem to be enjoying now. Their HP pool only gets deeper in proportion to your DPS. They will knock down "ranged dealing with ranged" and run your healers out of mana in the process, and you will bag run.

When you get into the upper levels, you have to hope that your tank can bootstring stack aggro on it, while you steadily DPS it down. I'm lucky to have the highest level tank on the server in my party, who knows how to do this. I'd just like a tank to have a tool that they can leverage their abilities through, like a heavy X-bow or an equipable Throwing Axe/Knife, so it's not a bootstring sketchy process required, for a monster with a junk loot table. Or the monsters to play by realistic rules and not fire a bow in melee combat. There are other possibilities... but I'm just repeating myself.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just saying if the Developers don't change it, you'll have to deal with it a different way. I play a healer, so I don't chase mobs anyways.

I've been dealing with it. But as a tester, I should give feedback about it, and I go one more and give suggestions.

This hasn't stopped me. I've done all the content in the game thus far. It has frustrated my parties and especially the tanks. So its worth mentioning. I'm prepared either way. Just trying to make the world a better place for the future player base, or my next incarnation.

I'm new to the test team, so pardon my input here if it's already been addressed (I have read this thread though).

Two points in this discussion have caught my attention as a life-long MT/OT (quite a few decades at this point).

Ranged mob runs away, but can be stunned/rooted/etc to prevent running
  • This provides a tactical challenge to the party, but can potentially create situations where certain party compositions become mandatory.
  • Currently this isn’t an option as all current crowd control options break on hit.
-- Why not make a "disentangle" mechanic here instead of "break on hit?" The next attack/action would be used to free oneself/reorientate which allows the party/npc another three, five or eight seconds to deal damage on the controlled/snared target? This also can be flipped for NPC's applying a snare on running players. Yes, it would increase "bag runs" probably, however, this past weekend... well it was very entertaining to watch players at the first monolith get the first real introduction to Ember's multiple humanoid mechanic. Friends I joined the open beta with could not stop talking about "be prepared to run!" So the encourage grouping mechanic is DEFINITELY working.

At this point we have no intentions in giving Defenders a ranged weapon. Longbow mobs require a different set of tactics which may temporarily shift defender responsibilities in the group.
-- What about a net? A snare that's not a skill but a secondary weapon. It would need to be limited in range, perhaps similar to a Kunai, and have a cast time. Perhaps two-handed? It would leave the tank with only his primary set, until the net is recovered, and it would not be a damage weapon. Additionally, it could be added into the crafting chart somewhere.

Back