What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

BETA TEST October 5th; what's new?

Thank you for the quest log font changes. I’ll try and hop on this weekend and see how it looks.

What was done with experience? It appears that all mobs give the same amount of experience, in regards to a single, double or triple chevron.
The only XP change was adjusting how much XP was required per level. There was no change to how much experience creatures give.

+Healing stat no longer applies to consumables

What do you mean by this? The reagent is no longer needed for support classes?

Was Marshall quest actually fixed. I didnt count the exact number of boars I killed but I've been out here for several hours and still no drop.

Was Marshall quest actually fixed. I didnt count the exact number of boars I killed but I've been out here for several hours and still no drop.
From something I overhead in chat I think they have to be the ones with 'boar' in the name in Northreach; not ones called shoat elsewhere.

You don't need to use a reagent (salve) as a support class, but they do improve the skill First Aid.

+Healing no longer applies to health pots.

I'll have someone check on this. The quest objective was borked and not detecting the items being gathered, but to my knowledge the item drop rate remains - are you killing the ones in Northreach?

I'm unable to locate Krenner anywhere. I started a new character and chose to "inform the guards" to see if that might make him visible... no dice.
This was me missing a spot on the nav mesh update last night. I'll build another server for deployment some time today to fix this. Apologies!

+Healing no longer applies to health pots.

I'll have someone check on this. The quest objective was borked and not detecting the items being gathered, but to my knowledge the item drop rate remains - are you killing the ones in Northreach?

This was me missing a spot on the nav mesh update last night. I'll build another server for deployment some time today to fix this. Apologies!
I'm an idiot and just realized Im doing the Juggernaut quest and not the Marshall one... /facepalm

I was killing shoats in Northreach per Drindin's guidance but Im pretty sure I goofed and said Marshall. I did not find any "boars". Perhaps that is my error, then. If I am incorrect please let me know so I can try to find "boar" mobs. Though, it was hard even fighting shoats in Northreach at level 7. Might I suggest maybe just having a slightly uncommon "rare" that spawns from shoats and some sort of dialogue that makes it feel less like a fetch quest or more epic in nature? Or instead of farming for a dropped material have us kill X amount of shoats, like alot of them, to make it seem like a real bloodbath?

Quest log is definitely readable now, is it not possible to have it scale with the size I have set my chat text, or a separate slider?

Feedback from last beta:

• How is performance inside of the city during the day/night?
I didn't notice any problems personally, but I have been keeping shadows at zero. Performance has for sure improved after all the tweaks done in general though - I'm running at higher settings than I use to and it's workable. I'd say continue with the optimizations though please!
  • How much of an impact did adjusting humanoid texture resolutions impact performance on your rig?
I honestly did not try this - left it on the default high. But more options are good, this may help some users for sure.
  • Are weapon & armor augments worth using?
I experimented with this and shared some feedback already about the weapon bonus effects not showing on the character sheet (which I found out is by design)

Suggestion - add the bonus from augments to the tooltip when you hover over "Flanking" for example, or whatever the bonus applies to. That won't bloat the sheet itself as it will be on the tooltip, listed as main hand augment bonus/offhand augment bonus + XX is what I'm thinking.

As far as actual use, I have a suggestion - If possible, can you have the charge only decrease if it actually is used? For example: + Flanking bonus should not take a charge UNLESS you are flanking. I burned through my dagger charges very quickly as when I was solo I couldn't really flank and it used a charge every swing. It would be nice if it actually only used a charge if the bonus was used. If this cannot be done, it may be a good idea to increase the default charge count or allow us to stack charges of the same type (with a max limit) (maybe you can do this? Didn't test).

I did find a visual issue in the JSON when you apply an augment to an item, I included it in screenshots but I will attach it also here (Bonus listed twice, level requirement listed twice)
Suggestion: Keep the durability slider % left under durability for the item, then augment data after - as you can see in the screenshot it goes below the augment data and doesn't look right there imo.

EmbersAdrift_2022.10.07.23.49.09.png

Another thought: I think augments would be cooler if when a weapon is augmented it would have some kind of visual equipped effect or on hit visual effect. I think this has been talked about some and may be in the works. I personally would love to see chemical/ember type of +dmg augments myself with nice visual effects for some of the higher level ones!
  • Was your patching process faster than it typically is?
Very much so, I would even go as far to say that along with the compression of the files that was also done this decreased my zoning times greatly. I have an M.2 SSD and zoning was a bit slow before recent improvements/compression of files. Now it's really not bad at all.

Bugs:
I still get some settings issues (like resolution/camera settings) resetting sometimes when I zone. If this issue persists in the live version with fresh install files, I'll provide more feedback.
The main one that's a bit annoying is the game changing from the resolution I set back to my native resolution.

More feedback:

Forgetting a class:

If you "forget" a class, maybe instead of bringing the new one to level 6, take it down to half your role level?

Reason: With the recent exp adjustments, it takes quite a bit of time to level the class even fighting higher level mobs. I think cutting it in half is reasonable and will still prevent people from switching willy nilly as even with cutting it to half there will be a considerable recovery period - especially at higher levels.

Crafting:

I've been talking to Adric that I feel high level flux should have more of an impact when crafting - he explained to me how it is calculated now and that makes it so sometimes it applies and sometimes it doesn't based on how the numbers come out in the end via rounding. I suggested that higher flux holds should hold more weight and thus always provides a small increase if possible.

Reason: If the name of the item changes (Minor to Lesser) for example when adding flux, the item should actually be better. In addition, flux being one of the more rare components, should simply always apply a better affix number if you chose to use it.

This is all I can think of at this moment, I hope to continue to provide feedback for live as well when time permits.

Thanks for making such a great game!

Last edited:
  • How is performance inside of the city during the day/night?
I didn't notice any obvious issues, however performance in general has improved for me over the past week. However, it still feels like a lot more work is needed. I'd like to be able to run the game and it look nice whilst being able to hear the audio above my fans screaming help!

- Buildings need Signs with icons(hover over for name) on them to distinguish one from another.
- Performance even at peak frog wars of 2022 I saw no FPS loss. (Total low settings)
- Ember Ring in city should change color based on season. (Currently had red hue)
- City needs some color, more green plants, flowers, colorful banners etc.
- Being able to toggle off “titles” I still feel should be added. Even scaling the nameplates down they are quite large when accounting for Title+Name+Guild+Health+Stamina.
- Website media section should have large full res collection of all the new Art work for wallpapers and such
- Patcher worked great and fast.
- NPCs that do not move really need some extra idle animations. (Few roaming city guards / NPCs be a nice touch too)
- Moving the humanoid setting to low I felt make a big difference in terms of performance in the city. I did not see a major decrease in quality of humanoids until they are max size, then the overly “smooth” look becomes very noticeable if not wearing armor.
- City map should have location names on it possible.
- The sewer / stream in city was black and white (looked like tearing) on total low settings.
- When talking to a shop keeper, it should always reset to top of item list when open shop.
- Holiday decorations for different times of year be a nice touch. Since Halloween is soon, maybe some pumpkins thrown around the city and outposts.
- Has mail system been discussed? Having only a single mailbox(at tavern) in the city to send items between players could be beneficial. (1 hour delivery time)
- I would suggest ensuring it is daylight on the 15th when servers go life for the most new players if possible.
- Buildings (that are useful) need to have Lanterns outside them To further show they are useful and not empty.
-If launching the game for the first time and the default settings are to high for your machine, the login screen becomes nearly unusable and incredbly slow and laggy. Making changing the settings very hard to do. LOGIN screen should be a static background image, as to reduce load and ensure someone can change settings easily and quickly. If the settings are to high, just typing in your password takes a long time due to such input delay. Have a check box if possible for those that want a background thats "live", but static should be the default.
- Titles on NPCs are almost unreadable due to the grey blending in with buildings, see screenshot.
View attachment 2379
- Frog wars 2022
View attachment 2382
- Quest log text is very thin and hard to read, can it be thicken up a bit?
View attachment 2384
- City Banner example placement, to liven things up
View attachment 2383

I would like to see doors that could be opened and closed as well as crates, boxes, barrels, and chests that can be searched. The world seems so static and NPCs seem so lifeless there doesn't seem to be many ways that you can interact with any objects. There needs to be more town activity and background ambient noises.

maybe further details on crafting in general perhaps a book or manual that you can read to understand what you need to do at the basic levels. I took armorsmith and currently all I know how to do is gather ore and refine it into copper bars but I am lost as to what I am to do next. I am all for one character can do one craft but if you want better materials perhaps one crafter would have to either buy the better leather they need from a player or an NPC vendor in order to make better-crafted items for example or seek out unique and rare ores for stronger items and properties.

I would like to see doors that could be opened and closed as well as crates, boxes, barrels, and chests that can be searched. The world seems so static and NPCs seem so lifeless there doesn't seem to be many ways that you can interact with any objects. There needs to be more town activity and background ambient noises.

maybe further details on crafting in general perhaps a book or manual that you can read to understand what you need to do at the basic levels. I took armorsmith and currently all I know how to do is gather ore and refine it into copper bars but I am lost as to what I am to do next. I am all for one character can do one craft but if you want better materials perhaps one crafter would have to either buy the better leather they need from a player or an NPC vendor in order to make better-crafted items for example or seek out unique and rare ores for stronger items and properties.
You can go into town and buy recipes or loot them to learn new things to craft. I agree the world needs more things to interact with. I’d love to be able to search some of those thousand barrels and crates around the world. Put them even on a long random interval timer. Just occasionally getting lucky enough to loot one would be awesome.

more hot fixes incoming!
  • +Healing stat no longer applies to consumables
  • Updated pole arm recipes
  • Added Magda quest
  • Prop work in Newhaven City
  • Fixed nav mesh issues in Newhaven City preventing a few NPCs from spawning
  • Adjusted font thickness in quest journal
  • Fixed Marshal promotion quest
  • Fixed instancing issues preventing the spill over of players into the second instance of the city
The Magda quest where you turn in the croc claws is not working for me. When I pick up the claws in my bank it says complete and when I speak to her she says to give her a second to make a necklace, but I dont get anything and it is not completed.

Back