What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

October 27th; what's new?

@Undone dude thank you so much (not only for all your hard work on making improvements) but for sharing the information on role/spec/skill choice distribution! This is valuable information that just helps us assess our little virtual market. Much appreciated!

Great work, and thanks for those stats!
My bias towards what I want to be seeing is clearly being shown with these numbers! I thought tanks were all over :p

Fixes slated for tomorrow's hot fix patch assuming the builds finish overnight. I am targeting for a quick 11am US central time patch.
  • Meadowlands:
    • relocated a respawn point in that was under the world
    • added a new dinghy to the northern part of the river
    • leveling out some terrain in the north eastern part of the zone.
    • adjusted river colliders near the northern ember ring
    • rebaking nav meshes to accommodate the above fixes
  • improved Newhaven Valley nav mesh around the north eastern smuggler's hill to reduce instances of Undone's wrath.
  • improved Northreach nav mesh just outside of the wall to reduce instances of Undone's wrath.
  • rebaked Redshore's nav mesh to prevent houdini bears
  • added some additional null reference checking to prevent client side errors
  • added back previous chat filters that had disappeared (loot, motd, skills, quest, discovery, and social)
  • fixed a hole in the wall in an Aquifer room.
  • fixed issue causing flanking bonuses to be incorrect
  • fixed issue with viperid toxin proc
  • fixed issue with basilisk armor plate abilities
  • fixed gullet's skinning level
  • fixed ancient croc's skinning level
  • fixed numerous spelling mistakes and typos

Adjusted difficulty of group content (2 & 3 chevron mobs)
So I enjoy a challenge; however, things seem way over tuned now.

Example 1:
1st, the difficulty curve seems way off. Last night I was a Level 21 Knight (375 AC & 440 AC with shield), and we were trying to kill our way into the mountain pass for the ember stone update. We had a level 23 berserker, 22 sentinal, and 22 brigand.

On any 1,2 or 3 chevron red con mob, I had to let the berserker tank it with his 100ish AC. Any other group member could tank, except for the tank, since the mob is red and only by 1 level. Especially the three chevron mobs, which would 2 shot me before the healer could get one heal off.

So we stayed and got me to level 22, turning everything yellow. Suddenly the 3 chev mob that was hitting me for 70+ is hitting me for 30 and its back to tanking like normal.

The difficulty curve seems way off here, the mob is only red by 1 level, yet there is no way I could tank them, even with 2 healers going all out. But as soon as it turned yellow, I only need 1 healer, I can hold agro again and it feels like tanking again. Not to mention, classes that aren't even tanks can tank it better and can be healed by a single sentinal with no problem.

Example 2:
After getting the ember stone update in dry foot, we ran back and decided to check on the commander in the exile camp in North Haven, since we have never been able to find this guy and the patch notes said the named quest mobs would be more common.

All mobs are green, by probably 10ish levels. Now we are a 22 Knight (440 AC with shield), 23 Berserker, 22 Sentinal and 22 Brigand.

So we proceed to break into the camp to go check for the commander, only to discover that these mobs were wrecking us at about the same level as the yellow mobs back in dry foot. We were actually struggling to get the camp cleared but we did.

Once cleared and we were dealing with singles as they popped, sure we could hit them hard and kill them fast, but they still required a lot of effort to kill - even though they are at least 10 levels below us. Mobs that should not be able to hit very hard are hitting me for 30-50, and trying to tank just 2 mobs is super painful for the 22 sentinal to heal through. It honestly felt like we hadn't leveled at all, it still felt like the first time we went through the exile camp at the appropriate levels - thus all that extra gear and levels we obtained was basically meaningless on this low level content.

Our group's conclusion:
So we all thought part of getting some of the best gear on your tank was supposed to make your tank tanky, but it doesn't seem like that matters at all - it feels like it's more about whether the mob is a 1,2 or 3 chevron and that's about it. It doesn't matter if that mob is gray, green, blue, or yellow - in all cases, you will get hit about as hard depending on the number of chevrons. As soon as the mob turns red, it doesn't matter what the chevrons are, it's going to wipe the floor with you, even if it's only 1 level red.

I have to question if AC even does anything at this point, and what is the point in all the other stats you acquire if having them is negated simply because the mob is group based?

All that said, I don't feel like I've earned anything at this point since everything I encounter is equally as difficult no matter how far I have out-leveled it. Something just feels really wrong about this.

On any 1,2 or 3 chevron red con mob, I had to let the berserker tank it with his 100ish AC. Any other group member could tank, except for the tank, since the mob is red and only by 1 level. Especially the three chevron mobs, which would 2 shot me before the healer could get one heal off.
Good report, I'm keeping my eyes on the new difficult scaling as well. AFAIK the only thing that changes was 2^ and 3^ mobs hit a lot harder, supposedly making AC and tanking more valued. However, red mobs are the exception: I don't know the math but if a mob is red to you it basically means your AC has flat penalty regardless of your AC, but I'm not sure how severe it is. Feels like if you had 440 ac you should still in theory be able to handle hits better than 100ac zerker.
All mobs are green, by probably 10ish levels. Now we are a 22 Knight (440 AC with shield), 23 Berserker, 22 Sentinal and 22 Brigand.

So we proceed to break into the camp to go check for the commander, only to discover that these mobs were wrecking us at about the same level as the yellow mobs back in dry foot. We were actually struggling to get the camp cleared but we did.
Same idea as above, yellow to green colors don't really change the difficulty of the mobs for the most part, at least not a on a clear scale other than resistances, only how much exp they give. I think it's only when fighting greys will it be more of a roflstomp. I personally love hearing that y'all struggled on greens, but I do see how it feels like there's some disconnect with getting more AC but feeling the same.

I personally feel the boost in damage is creating good challenge and the situation is overall much better than before, but like you said, also feels slightly overtuned.

Good report, I'm keeping my eyes on the new difficult scaling as well. AFAIK the only thing that changes was 2^ and 3^ mobs hit a lot harder, supposedly making AC and tanking more valued. However, red mobs are the exception: I don't know the math but if a mob is red to you it basically means your AC has flat penalty regardless of your AC, but I'm not sure how severe it is. Feels like if you had 440 ac you should still in theory be able to handle hits better than 100ac zerker.

Same idea as above, yellow to green colors don't really change the difficulty of the mobs for the most part, at least not a on a clear scale other than resistances, only how much exp they give. I think it's only when fighting greys will it be more of a roflstomp. I personally love hearing that y'all struggled on greens, but I do see how it feels like there's some disconnect with getting more AC but feeling the same.

I personally feel the boost in damage is creating good challenge and the situation is overall much better than before, but like you said, also feels slightly overtuned.
Green 1 chevron ashen emberflies with their massive dodge and their regen are a pain but others like deer are no problem at all... it's kinda weird. Was killing 2 chevron blue and whites with a Warden yesterday and he was taking hits pretty hard but it was manageable.

Last night our Jugg couldnt get aggro on Nightshade (Wolf, I hope that was his name), took a good 30+sec with the healer running all about screaming and the tank spamming taunts before it finally took hold. It seems that aggro is very easy to keep for everyone not a tank. Just my 1 little experience.

Last night our Jugg couldnt get aggro on Nightshade (Wolf, I hope that was his name), took a good 30+sec with the healer running all about screaming and the tank spamming taunts before it finally took hold. It seems that aggro is very easy to keep for everyone not a tank. Just my 1 little experience.
The taunts are horrifically hard to land on moving mobs. 1s cast time. Short range. Cone shape. You basically can't activate it unless the mob stands still or it runs down the cone. Most mmos make taunts instant, okay range, or autoface/omnidirectional or all three. I really wish the defensive cooldowns and taunts were instant heh

Yes, while one can use a command to check the time, these types of games tend to take more of ones time than normal and a typed command is one that is easier to forget than if the local time is just displayed.
I would think its a good idea to add a local time counter somewhere

Back