What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Feedback New User 1-15 feedback

is this feedback?

PhlipPhlop

Well technically I am level 14. Warlord to be exact, Thicc is character name.

The game runs very smooth, on a fairly recent PC (7900k, 3070 GPU), I have had zero CPU or GPU bottleneck, and have even felt marked improvement from the unity update that happened recently. Game looks great.

Combat feels almost right in my opinion. I think the arcs for the positionals could be modified slightly to make some tactical movement in combat gameplay viable (being able to strafe a bit and hit a side hit when in solo combat for example).

Mob difficulty is nice variance, the only feedback I could give here would be to have some sort of actual "pulling" mechanic, toss a stone to distract an enemy in the back or draw one closer from his friends to help avoid some of those unavoidable trains or using a clunky at best leash mechanic. Again just some more tactical combat.

Armor weight, takes some understanding, I love the DND rooted feel and think I need to level a bit more to see some variation of drops. I feel like there are pieces that can be added to the puzzle as we play that will fill in gaps and allow you to fill out slots. I do think lower level the leather armor weight to AC is very difficult to justify. An example would be a boiled leather cuirass and polished tin plate drop off of the same mob...the leather weighs 20 for 40 AC, whereas the plate weights 25 for 75 AC...that feels very disproportionate but I may be lacking some understanding of the AC calculations that make this completely viable, just from a player perspective "feels" way off..

Overall, I have said to my friends I am playing with several times, I like this game way more than I wanted to. Current state I do not see a subscription quality product yet...obviously more content will come and that feeling can change, but solid start to a solid MMO. That being said, would like to understand what the plan for "end game" is here. Why are we in this world, what are we striving for. Is it just survival or is there a larger enemy we are preparing for? I probably missed some lore / background posts somewhere, but I digress.

Bravo so far, can't wait to continue and see what comes next.

Couple things to help you out:

Pull from max range (kunai if tank pulling or bow/xbow from other class) and RUN, keep party about 3 agro lengths away from mobs. If you avoid the 'investigators' that soft-link agro by clearing out of where they go to check, then you avoid hard agro and can fight a single enemy at a time.... usually.

This game handles armor inversely to other games: As you level up and get better stuff, it gets stronger AND LIGHTER. Most games have armor/stats and weight increasing as you level up and use better stuff, if there is a weight system. More efficient armoring ratios and bonuses can be found on rare drop and crafted items, often with less weight. You kinda get slammed with 'max weight' trash gear right off the start that isn't very effective and you will never wear a full set of it, everything improves as you level up and become skilled at crafting + find good materials and flux. By the time you can wear most or all of a starting leather or copper set with low to no penalty, you are well beyond that tier of equipment. Takes some getting used to and there is work to be done still balancing items and crafting.

I'm new too, just sharing some things I learned in the past 2 weeks. If you want any help, you can reach me best on discord. Feel free to pm me if you see me in game too Was that you.. Flipsides or something? :p

nope, but flipsides is a buddy of mine...

Appreciate the feedback on how pulling works with the existing mechanics in the game, my feedback was to encourage some thought about making better, because it is very clunky and feels weird.

I like the idea of a “distract/lure away” an NPC with a stone throw mechanic. Sort of how in many stealth games you can lure an NPC to a location to take him on solo, but always that chance of failure where the stone draws attention of more than one person.

Rouge stealth + sap, druid root, mage polymorph sheeping, here we go!

Nah jk, if the stone had a chance of failure, why use it over other 100% effective systems that already exist? I'll change when I need to change ;)

Didn't realize this was a I want feedback from the other members of the community for my feedback to the development team, but thanks!

I am comfortable with the mechanics of the game, as the forums is labeled, I was providing the requested feedback.

Thanks.

I love the stone toss idea just FYI.

I know how to pull and I think the current systems in game are cool, but I can also see adding in systems like the stone distract option as something that sounds really fun.

I love the stone toss idea just FYI.

I know how to pull and I think the current systems in game are cool, but I can also see adding in systems like the stone distract option as something that sounds really fun.
They used this in Daoc, but it was class specific.

Bad thing about class specific is you'll have people crying about wanting something for their class to be able to do the same thing... Unfortunately with society today we are plagued with participation trophies and everyone wanting to be able to do everything all on one class.

This would be an ok mechanic is it was class specific. You want to / are concerned about pulling, roll a class meant for it.

They used this in Daoc, but it was class specific.

Bad thing about class specific is you'll have people crying about wanting something for their class to be able to do the same thing... Unfortunately with society today we are plagued with participation trophies and everyone wanting to be able to do everything all on one class.

This would be an ok mechanic is it was class specific. You want to / are concerned about pulling, roll a class meant for it.

That is constructive and 100% where my thoughts were, make it class specific to a brigand, or a duelist even? not every class needs to have everything, especially when there are no pvp balance concerns to consider. I like the idea of unique, engaging, and flavorful mechanics.

That is constructive and 100% where my thoughts were, make it class specific to a brigand, or a duelist even? not every class needs to have everything, especially when there are no pvp balance concerns to consider. I like the idea of unique, engaging, and flavorful mechanics.
And you are going to spend 1 of your 6 skill slots on a stone throw that isnt even necessary? especially when you have other much more useful skills and striking abilities + can achieve good pulls with existing game mechanics, at least one option available to all classes?
or expecting a UI and overall game structure change or extra slots/skills for certain classes?

I guess it could happen, idk if this is in agreement with the vision for the game. I think you are supposed to be very limited and have to make choices on what you bring to a fight.

I would never allocate a skill slot to such an ability if we remain restricted to 6 slots. If we got some sort of 'special' toolbar that could only slot a certain category of skills, then maybe I would consider my options.

And you are going to spend 1 of your 6 skill slots on a stone throw that isnt even necessary? especially when you have other much more useful skills and striking abilities + can achieve good pulls with existing game mechanics, at least one option available to all classes?
or expecting a UI and overall game structure change or extra slots/skills for certain classes?

I guess it could happen, idk if this is in agreement with the vision for the game. I think you are supposed to be very limited and have to make choices on what you bring to a fight.

I would never allocate a skill slot to such an ability if we remain restricted to 6 slots. If we got some sort of 'special' toolbar that could only slot a certain category of skills, then maybe I would consider my options.

Fair point. Perhaps a throwable with a certain effect that utilizes a consumable slot? Flagged for a specific class

Fair point. Perhaps a throwable with a certain effect that utilizes a consumable slot? Flagged for a specific class
I don't always elaborate my thoughts ad-nauseam :p but there is much thought under the surface!

A consumable item makes a lot of sense and would be good for many reasons: takes up a non-skill slot (can afford that), works on the economic and crafting loop issues by adding to the width of the pool and cycling of items, can be used by anyone, don't have to change the UI or major game structure of '6 skills'

I like the idea of a 'smokebomb' or 'flashbang' or other consumables. Supposing most people have food, tea, and hp pots on their bars, that leaves 1 free slot available. You could then have someone run torches, tank runs kunai usually, someone or several (without a healing skill) carries salts, someone carries the flashbangs, maybe some other new consumable, etc. Intelligent division of tools and responsibilities among a variety of classes and roles in a party = good stuff.

Sounds good to me. idk about the class-specific part. With the above thoughts in mind, that kindof works itself out naturally.

Well technically I am level 14. Warlord to be exact, Thicc is character name.

The game runs very smooth, on a fairly recent PC (7900k, 3070 GPU), I have had zero CPU or GPU bottleneck, and have even felt marked improvement from the unity update that happened recently. Game looks great.
Hiya @PhlipPhlop thanks for taking the time to leave your feedback - we run on feedback!

Combat feels almost right in my opinion. I think the arcs for the positionals could be modified slightly to make some tactical movement in combat gameplay viable (being able to strafe a bit and hit a side hit when in solo combat for example).
Yea there are some issues when npc's are in close proximity that can make getting them within the appropriate arc kind of a pain in the neck. This is something we're actively discussing how best solve without making the angle too wide. One thing that may help is if you hold ALT while hovering over one of your abilities it will show a really crappy graphic representing the current distance & angle of that specific ability.

Mob difficulty is nice variance, the only feedback I could give here would be to have some sort of actual "pulling" mechanic, toss a stone to distract an enemy in the back or draw one closer from his friends to help avoid some of those unavoidable trains or using a clunky at best leash mechanic. Again just some more tactical combat.
NPCs in our game each have a set of "sensors" that dictate what they can see in their immediate vision, in their peripheral vision, and what they can "sense" around them. Each of these sensors can have a different range and a different sensitivity to detecting players. When a mob is aggrod it may call for help which "alerts" nearby NPCs to investigate the source of the alert. If those alerted npc's are able to detect you though one of their sensors then you become a target and they start running at your face. When you make your way into the larger camps pulling is most certainly a "thing" that people can take full advantage of.

Armor weight, takes some understanding, I love the DND rooted feel and think I need to level a bit more to see some variation of drops. I feel like there are pieces that can be added to the puzzle as we play that will fill in gaps and allow you to fill out slots. I do think lower level the leather armor weight to AC is very difficult to justify. An example would be a boiled leather cuirass and polished tin plate drop off of the same mob...the leather weighs 20 for 40 AC, whereas the plate weights 25 for 75 AC...that feels very disproportionate but I may be lacking some understanding of the AC calculations that make this completely viable, just from a player perspective "feels" way off..
No you are right that leather is not really "worth" it right now. It will have some stats added at a later date which should make it more attractive to non-tanks.

Overall, I have said to my friends I am playing with several times, I like this game way more than I wanted to. Current state I do not see a subscription quality product yet...obviously more content will come and that feeling can change, but solid start to a solid MMO. That being said, would like to understand what the plan for "end game" is here. Why are we in this world, what are we striving for. Is it just survival or is there a larger enemy we are preparing for? I probably missed some lore / background posts somewhere, but I digress.
We have a number of quests, npcs, & lore conversations in the queue waiting for implementation. We're currently trying to refine the adventuring and crafting loop to the best place we can get it (still a few key features missing) - afterwards we will pivot to filling out lore-related content which should give you a better idea of what is going on. The best place to get a better sense of the lore right now is the journal excerpts from the drifter.

Back