What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

BETA TEST May 25th; what's new?

Undone

Codemaster
Stormhaven Studios
Our next stress tests are scheduled for:
Wed. May 25th @ 8pm central
(Thurs. May 26th @ 1am UTC)
The developers will meet in Discord and test for approximately one hour. However, the servers will remain open for roughly 4 hours. The most up-to-date client can be retrieved via the patcher found on your account page.

What's new?
This week brings a slew of tech updates and content in the form of an entirely new zone to explore! To allow everyone the chance to explore this zone we are providing "vitality" potions at the North Newhaven city gate at no charge (see below for details). I am still working on performance tweaks and improvements to the 2021 build - so if you have any major concerns with builds on Unity 2021 speak now or forever hold your peace! Once we upgrade the team we cannot go back.

I've heard a few reports of issues with the character creation camera on M1 macs but have been unable to reproduce this locally. If this applies to you, could you startup the game, enter character creation where the camera is screwy, then exit and send me your logs? Thanks!

REMINDER: the servers will be open for 4hrs Wednesday evening. The servers will open again on Friday @ 12pm central and close on Tuesday at 12pm central. See events in Discord for timezone translations.

Bug fixes / improvements:
  • Hot fixes from last weekend:
    • added level 20-30 Warden abilities
    • warden now gets natural resists rather than movement
    • adjusted armor calculations to provide better damage absorption at lower levels and widen the gap between defenders and non-defenders in their ability to absorb damage.
  • Tech
    • More robustly adjusting sky dome game time if your offset from the server gets too large.
    • Fixing Anthills & Rat Nests not giving XP. For real this time! (note that the creatures that these spawn do NOT give xp; this is intended)
    • Added behavior disable delay to the server's npc behavior manager code. This should help the issue where NPCs stick around the zone line.
    • Removed some rogue reflection probes in Dryfoot that may have been causing performance issues.
    • Updating some light props that had bad data.
  • UI:
    • Adjusting yellow difficulty color.
    • Adding a background to buff/debuff icons.
  • Design:
    • Added remaining level 20-30 abilities.
    • Dryfoot Stronghold arena nav mesh fixes
    • Slightly increasing humanoid in-combat move speed.
    • Meadowlands' wolves have bred. They can be found in multiple locations throughout the zone.
    • Follow Through and Serration have been given a 100% proc chance.
    • Windup has been reduced to be consumed by a single attack (this lasting the full duration was not intended)
    • Fixed an issue preventing certain crafted outer armor slots from getting bonuses.
    • Crafting quality is fixed at 100%. This will eventually impact some aspect of the item at a later date (likely durability)
    • Flux material level will display the outputted item level only.
    • Mid-tier crafting resources (material levels 5, 15, 25, 35, 45) now have increased property values over their lower level equivalents
    • Crafting xp now depends on how many materials are used and from what harvesting professions they are sourced.
    • Dryfoot clan will no longer assist Exiles when asked nicely.
    • The "Wilds" of zones (spaces between group content) have had a significant reduction or even elimination of common group content mobs (2+ chevron).
    • North/South Newhaven General Merchant near the city gate has been stocked with ALL levels of general equipment.
New stuff:
Line of Sight updates
Up until this patch we never considered line-of-sight (LOS) when checking if you could execute an ability. This was something that was put off for a number of reasons; mostly because it is a bit more involved than it seems at first glance. You can't perform a single LOS check and call it a day. To more accurately determine LOS one has to perform multiple checks to your target at different angles.

Our game determines if you have LOS by casting rays out from your midsection to the bottom, middle, and sometimes top of your target. The midsection of your character was chosen to not provide any advantage/disadvantage for shorter or taller characters (the point at which we cast our rays is the same for ALL characters regardless of size). If any one of these rays successfully reaches your target without intersecting a scene collider then you are deemed to have a valid LOS. Tab targeting requires LOS and operates in a very similar way except that the rays are cast from the camera's position rather than your avatar's midsection.

LOS is now checked at the start and end of an execution; if you lose LOS during execution you can still get that shot off if you re-acquire LOS before execution completes. I do not anticipate this causing any major problems - but we do have to be more mindful of the colliders used for props throughout the scenes. Please let me know if you run into any oddities or find yourself in a situation where you expect to have LOS but for whatever reason do not.

Call for help updates
The NPC call for help system (or social aggro) has gotten some love this patch. Previously a "call for help" would alert nearby NPCs to your position causing them to begin an "investigation" in which the NPC would search the area for any potential targets. The number of NPCs that could be alerted was infinite which required us to keep the call for help distance relatively low. With this week's patch the call for help system can now limit the number of alerted NPCs allowing us to expand the range much further without having to alert the entire camp. In addition, we can now set a chance that one of the alerted NPCs becomes immediately hostile towards you - which has been done. This should make pulling a bit more chaotic and challenging.

Redshore Forest
A new zone for levels 26+ is now available to explore! It can be reached from a northern road in Meadowlands, or the north western outpost in Dryfoot. Be warned: Redshore is much farther north of the wall than any of the others and hence offers far less protection.

This initial pass includes mobs, resources, and chests. This zone, like others, will be undergoing multiple iterations. It currently lacks rare spawns and redshore specific mob variants, but represents a base upon which those additions will be introduced. Currently there is no map. Expect Ember Ring/Hallow placements to be adjusted as well. There is however, new music!

Level up potions
Vitality potions have been added to North Newhaven just outside of the city gate at no charge. They currently come in three varieties: level 6, level 12, and level 26. Drinking one of these bad boys will up your adventuring + specialization level to the target level. These are for testing purposes only! But they should also allow you to drop & select a different specialization to try at your will.

Works in progress:
  • Zones: 3x additional overland zones have had an initial art pass completed
    • Grizzled Peaks - accessed via Highlands, Redshore, and Gorge. Mountainous region with a number of tunnels. High level range (40-50). Has a one-way exit to Newhaven North. This is the snow capped mountains you can see from Redshore.
    • Highlands - accessed via Meadowlands. Hilly region with sparse vegetation and water features. Mid level range (approx 30-40, likely to come after Redshore and Grizzled)
    • Gorge - accessed via Dryfoot. Large canyon-like area. Mid level range (approx 30-40, likely to come after Redshore and Grizzled)
  • Dungeons: All of central veins has been delivered from the art team and is now awaiting integration into the game. This includes the starter dungeon currently found in S. Newhaven, and a larger more difficult area for N. Newhaven. Spawning tech for dungeons is mostly complete so we just have to iron out the details in the spawning workflow. Will likely need to reorganize all of the dungeon prefabs for easier usage moving forward. Will likely start this soon.
  • NPCs: fully custom Bear, Elk, and Spider models are complete and integrated into the game. Spider is currently the only one implemented; elk & bear will come soon. Ashen creature varieties have also been integrated into the game but are not yet populating the world.
  • Quests: a number of quests are in the queue for implementation/testing. Quest data structure and likely needs a refactor.
  • Tech: npc improvements, npc merchants.
  • UI: quest dialog redesign, tooltip improvements
  • New clothing & armor is still in the works.
Crafting Updates
We are still discussing things internally on how to best move forward with crafting. The current list of things we are discussing and/or tossing around are:
  • improve progression by unlocking recipes as you level up rather than giving them all to you right away. this can have the added side effect of not giving you a bunch of gear to wear at low levels when you maybe cannot equip it all due to armor weight limitations.
  • add an augment system for equipables (previously discussed)
  • loosely tie crafting level to adventuring level
  • make some equipment slots only obtainable via crafting, and some only obtainable via adventuring (at least during the early levels, this may change at higher levels)
  • if the we implement the above point, then we can bring regular crafted gear (no flux) back up to par with common drops. the issue has always been crafting stepping on adventurer's toes and vice versa - so by segregating the slots (again, at least at early levels) then we can avoid this and allow non-flux crafted goods to be roughly equivalent to dropped gear.
  • make the experience of a craft proportional to the number of materials required to craft it
  • increase the number of materials required for some items (which would also increase the xp gain)
  • re-evaluate the role of "quality" in the make of an item - this will likely be converted to only impact the durability.
Stat Consolidation (timeline: 1-3 weeks)
The last thing we need to do for this is consolidate resists. This task is slightly more involved because it involves touching all of the current abilities and ripping out the old system. I hope to get to this soon but other tasks (<cough> crafting discussions <cough>) are taking up too much of my time.

Reagent Upgrade System(timeline: ...)
Ember essence collection and spending is on the list of things to do SOON, but is taking a back seat until we can iron out crafting, Unity 2021, the above mentioned stat consolidation, and reorganizing and prepping of the new dungeons.

Known Issues:
  • Not all ember rings and/or POIs are proper map discoveries. This is especially true in Dryfoot, Dryfoot Stronghold, and Redshore. Discoveries and map uncovering is a WIP and will be revisited soon.
  • Redshore has no map
  • Deconstructing crafted items returns junk 100% of the time.
  • cannot roll on loot while unconscious
  • not all clothing/armor has visuals
  • Dragging a group-nameplate in the group window will set the wrong pivot point for the group window and the whole thing will drag a bit weird.
  • typing chat text may occasionally become invisible. unfocus your chat window and trying again a few times typically resolves this.
  • Sometimes when you respawn you don't end up at the proper Ember Ring --> if this happens please report the position where you died via the "/report" command or "/debugposition" (if using debugposition you'll need to paste the value here)

Last edited:
Definitely sad to hear about the wolf's den. So from what I gather the wolf's den is no longer a camp? By the sounds with them being spread out now it does away with the challenge the camp offered. High risk for reward is a good thing, and camping in the den offered just that. Some of the best "oh shit pucker moments" I've experienced in Embers so far have come from the den. And sometimes we won and other times we lost, but damn it lol it was a fun time either way. Now I'm worried there will just be a few random spots a pack or so might be found at in the open world offering little to no challenge other than downing a named if it's up. No longer worrying about repops and getting overwhelmed. Hopefully this was taken in to account and the movement of the mobs to new locations still offers an actual challenge with the high threat of danger. But without the confined spaces that the wolf den offered, I cant see this change as being an improvement... More so an appeasement.. Which is a slippery slope to head down when good content is ruined because of certain situations.................

Last edited:
Definitely sad to hear about the wolf's den. So from what I gather the wolf's den is no longer a camp? By the sounds with them being spread out now it does away with the challenge the camp offered. High risk for reward is a good thing, and camping in the den offered just that. Some of the best "oh shit pucker moments" I've experienced in Embers so far have come from the den. And sometimes we won and other times we lost, but damn it lol it was a fun time either way. Now I'm worried there will just be a few random spots a pack or so might be found at in the open world offering little to no challenge other than downing a named if it's up. No longer worrying about repops and getting overwhelmed. Hopefully this was taken in to account and the movement of the mobs to new locations still offers an actual challenge with the high threat of danger. But without the confined spaces that the wolf den offered, I cant see this change as being an improvement... More so an appeasement.. Which is a slippery slope to head down when good content is ruined because of certain situations.................
I would ask that you try something before passing judgement. The patch notes are colored a bit for theme so you are likely reading a bit too much into it.

• The "Wilds" of zones have had a significant reduction or even elimination of common group content mobs.

What exactly does this mean?

I would ask that you try something before passing judgement. The patch notes are colored a bit for theme so you are likely reading a bit too much into it.
No judgement trying to be passed bud. Just looking at the danger the old camp presented. Not sure how the change will be able to replicate the same type of danger once out of the confined spaces of the cave is all. But I'll see how it goes.

No judgement trying to be passed bud. Just looking at the danger the old camp presented. Not sure how the change will be able to replicate the same type of danger once out of the confined spaces of the cave is all. But I'll see how it goes.
The number of spawns didn't change; we actually added more wolf packs throughout the zone. We tried to add a little flavor into the patch notes and you are talking about how sad you are that the wolf den was nerfed. We likely could have worded it better.

So then let's says NNH, Meadows and Dryfoot have lost a majority of the group content mobs that used to be found there?
Again, you are jumping to conclusions. Try something, then provide feedback. No one said this.

This could be another case of wording things in such a way that makes it appear as something that it is not. The "wilds" of zones refers to the space between group content which is mainly targeted at solo players. In other words - we reduced the likelihood that you will encounter wandering 2 and 3 chevron mobs while out hunting single chevron mobs.

The number of spawns didn't change; we actually added more wolf packs throughout the zone. We tried to add a little flavor into the patch notes and you are talking about how sad you are that the wolf den was nerfed. We likely could have worded it better.

Again, you are jumping to conclusions. Try something, then provide feedback. No one said this.
I'm not jumping to conclusions on the group content thing. I asked what that meant.

Maybe you didnt understand what I was asking about. But the way it was worded when I read
  • The "Wilds" of zones have had a significant reduction or even elimination of common group content mobs.
It sounds like mobs are being reduced or eliminated. The "wilds" of zones is what I'm getting at. It sounds like the "wilds" are the 2 or 3 chev mobs and "zones" being zones, so that's why I asked since it says its removing or eliminating these mobs. Is that implying then 2 or 3 chev mobs for group content in "zones" i.e NNH, Meadows and Dryfoot.

I'm not trying to imply anything or assume. I'm trying to get clarification on what this word salad actually means lol

I'm not jumping to conclusions on the group content thing. I asked what that meant.

Maybe you didnt understand what I was asking about. But the way it was worded when I read
It sounds like mobs are being reduced or eliminated. The "wilds" of zones is what I'm getting at. It sounds like the "wilds" are the 2 or 3 chev mobs and "zones" being zones, so that's why I asked since it says its removing or eliminating these mobs. Is that implying then 2 or 3 chev mobs for group content in "zones" i.e NNH, Meadows and Dryfoot.

I'm not trying to imply anything or assume. I'm trying to get clarification on what this word salad actually means lol
It's all a giant miscommunication. See the above post for clarity!

This could be another case of wording things in such a way that makes it appear as something that it is not. The "wilds" of zones refers to the space between group content which is mainly targeted at solo players. In other words - we reduced the likelihood that you will encounter wandering 2 and 3 chevron mobs while out hunting single chevron mobs.
Hmmm, that's not good lol

Can I ask why this was even an issue lol?

Not sure quite what to make on this. The zones already have far less mobs than they should for adventuring and now we're removing 2 or 3 chev mobs where 1 chev solo mobs mostly are.

Can't think of one time when soloing I was ever bothered by the amount of 2 chev or 3 chev mobs around single chevs or when out gathering. Maybe this change might be ok, but I see as a removal of content with the lessening of danger. We shall see how it goes but from what I'm seeing I'm def not liking the direction I see things heading. But time will tell.

Hmmm, that's not good lol

Can I ask why this was even an issue lol?

Not sure quite what to make on this. The zones already have far less mobs than they should for adventuring and now we're removing 2 or 3 chev mobs where 1 chev solo mobs mostly are.

Can't think of one time when soloing I was ever bothered by the amount of 2 chev or 3 chev mobs around single chevs or when out gathering. Maybe this change might be ok, but I see as a removal of content with the lessening of danger. We shall see how it goes but from what I'm seeing I'm def not liking the direction I see things heading. But time will tell.
We are very iterative in our approach and anything done can easily be undone. However, just because something was not a problem for you, does not mean that it was not a problem for others. At the end of the day this is why we ask for feedback. Try it, if you think something is up, then let us know. But try it first; that's all we ask. I'm willing to bet this change will go largely unnoticed.

And I can see how the wording can be a bit misleading as no mobs were "removed" - they were likely just converted to 1^ mobs.

We are very iterative in our approach and anything done can easily be undone. However, just because something was not a problem for you, does not mean that it was not a problem for others. At the end of the day this is why we ask for feedback. Try it, if you think something is up, then let us know. But try it first; that's all we ask. I'm willing to bet this change will go largely unnoticed.

And I can see how the wording can be a bit misleading as no mobs were "removed" - they were likely just converted to 1^ mobs.
I definitely will and will give any feedback I can.
I can get started on it right away if you let me in ;-)

It's all a giant miscommunication. See the above post for clarity!
The way I read it is this: Wilds are now more solo friendly and 2^/3^ mobs have been mostly consolidated to special camps leaving mostly 1^ (Excluding rare/named spawns) in the vast spaces between hunting POI's. There is now more than one wolf camp to facilitate multiple groups at the same time in Meadows. We are now a lot less likely to find a roaming 3^ gray wolf chewing pieces of our asses as we hopelessly attempt to run to RR safety.

Lots of interesting changes! tbh, quite surprised LOS wasn't checked until now. I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any sight issues. *yoink* There are TONS of areas in the game where terrain can be leveraged to your advantage when kiting. Trees probably block LOS and skills now, but can still be used for some gap. Small ledges will remain ideal, offering a pathing obstacle but no LOS obstacle.

Call for help can hard-agro, great. This will make things interesting. I always said it was too easy to always single-pull any desired target. This will give more value to having cc or the ability to kite/otherwise keep a mob busy while the main target is dealt with.

"Slightly increasing humanoid in-combat move speed." Don't make it too hard for the average player ;) Wishing Warden had that movement speed bonus instead of useless nature resist ><

WTB lvl 30 vitality potion, 26 does no good :p

Speaking of resist, are damage types expected to come into play with the resist stat consolidation? Does AC help vs nature or elemental damage at all or only resists?

All items now get 100% quality regardless of skill level with respect to a tier?! eww, but ok Only increasing durability seems kinda weak, dura is of little concern to anyone except a tank. I hope there is more to this later. Also, I liked games where you had a chance to craft a range of qualities and could get slightly better stats, but that's back in the 'gambling' realm.

Looking forward to seeing what stats can now be properly crafted onto other item pieces. I'll be sure to keep sending in feedback on unusual results.

So many good/new things here. Not much time to write before 5.

Design:
  • Meadowlands' wolves have bred. They can be found in multiple locations throughout the zone.
  • The "Wilds" of zones (spaces between group content) have had a significant reduction or even elimination of common group content mobs (2+ chevron).

I'm excited about these! I can't tell you how many times I've found myself exploring Meadowlands and unable to fight anything because I'm solo and facing 2+ chevrons mobs. Especially in the southern portions of the zone, it felt too geared towards groups. This will make it easier for me to traverse the area and find opportunities to gain quality exp. Thanks!

Back