What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

LIVE January 31st; what's new?

Work on polishing up the social UI (guild/friends/etc) will likely come after the large batch of quests. Getting new quests in is a higher priority right now and takes up a lot of tech time. Improvements will come!
Ok, just want to make sure it's not forgotten. Managing a guild of 500 members is a bit of a nightmare right now lol

Work on polishing up the social UI (guild/friends/etc) will likely come after the large batch of quests. Getting new quests in is a higher priority right now and takes up a lot of tech time. Improvements will come!
QUESTS QUESTS QUESTS! :D

Everquest gave you a number of other corpse recovery options over just clearing to your corpse. Cleric res, corpse summon, corpse dragging etc.
Embers Adrift's corpse mechanic has a number of additional benefits/preventative factors that I think are often forgotten when making comparisons:
  • You do not die immediately when your health hits 0; you instead fall unconscious.
  • Anyone with the proper consumable can wake you up within the appropriate time frame after you fall unconscious.
  • After giving up you wake up fully equipped and fully capable of doing battle (after resting).
  • You lose no experience when giving up.
  • You wake up at the nearest hallow. Which does not require you to "bind" your character to it before hand.
  • You can forfeit your bag at any time and location.
One could argue that our corpse mechanic gives you plenty of tools to mitigate death/bag recovery albeit in different forms.

While this change is fair, it punishes players who dont have a good way to get back to their bags without a 1 hour rerun of a dungeon. You've placed some ember rings in the middle of dungeons but no respawn ability. I try not to use this instant log off myself, but in certain dungeons, it is needed to avoid party wipes that will cause you to be unable to respawn anywhere near your bag. Can we get a respawn at some of these halfway ember fires?
errrr.... not really... that is the risk for wiping.... just try not to wipe!

Sorry but what is BIE apart from a Ghanan term for sex and apparently biggest idiot ever (that's what google gave me).
Does BIE mean Bound to account in some way, or not bound at all?

I thought the idea of crafted gear was to get you a ticket in the game, i.e. to help you have adequate gear that meant you could assist your group in hunting the BIS rare drops.
But perhaps I'm simplifying it and rare and best crafted gear should be like a DNA strand, with both branches sometimes being dominant depending on a host of other factors.

If you get boss gear that's suitable for only one of the holy trinity and is augmentable to soulbound then you have a choice to make.
Do you soulbind it for better stats or keep it tradeable with lesser stats.
I like choice.

At first glance the patch notes look excellent, and dice duelling a week away, that's a very nice surprise.
I sense a tournament in the near future.
BoE = Bind on Equp

Embers Adrift's corpse mechanic has a number of additional benefits/preventative factors that I think are often forgotten when making comparisons:
  • You do not die immediately when your health hits 0; you instead fall unconscious.
  • Anyone with the proper consumable can wake you up within the appropriate time frame after you fall unconscious.
  • After giving up you wake up fully equipped and fully capable of doing battle (after resting).
  • You wake up at the nearest hallow. Which does not require you to "bind" your character to it before hand.
One could argue that our corpse mechanic gives you plenty of tools to mitigate death/bag recovery albeit in different forms.
I was looking at the point of corpse/bag recovery itself. Embers Adrift is definitely more lenient in preventing a wipe. Assuming it is not a wipe, a character can be brought back into the fight without fighting your way to your corpse in EQ as well with a res and you also mitigate some XP loss to various degree's depending on level of spell. I guess Embers tries to avoid a wipe in the first place.

As an aside can you repair your equipment when you die and appear at a ring now? Always seemed odd that you appeared with your gear and could fight but had to get your bag back and then go to repair after.

This discussion is bringing back memories of the good old days in UO when after x minutes the things in your bag could be looted by anyone and then after y minutes would disappear altogether.
It was always a mad rush to get back in time and there were often people eager to loot your bag.
Good times.

As an aside can you repair your equipment when you die and appear at a ring now? Always seemed odd that you appeared with your gear and could fight but had to get your bag back and then go to repair after.

Yes, if you have stored money in your stash, you have access to that money to pay your repairs at the anvil. You can also purchase consumable or ammo so long it goes directly on your equipment and not in your missing bags. Make trip back to your bags a little easier.

Since July 2022 players can use banks, blacksmiths, merchants, and even loot while missing their bag. This required a bit of tech so that funds could be pulled from a nearby bank rather than their bag (since it was missing).

And on top of that you have Resilience which can help you not die, on an otherwise fatal blow. And.......you can still gather with no bag for the most part.

Threat Scaling
New tech has been implemented that allows for a dynamic threat bonus on Provoke, Roar, and Fading Strike. The purpose of this tech is to allow the players to more effectively "close the gap" between themselves and another player on the threat list.

For Provoke and Roar this bonus only applies if you are not on the top of the NPC's threat list; the bonus threat value is proportional to the difference between the top threat and your threat. For Fading Strike this works in the opposite direction: you get a negative threat bonus if you are at the top of the threat list; the negative threat bonus is proportional to the difference between your threat and the next highest person on the threat list.
Recommended this almost a year ago. Glad the devs did a reversal and put this in. Better late than never I suppose.

If you think getting your bag back in this game is hard... I don't know. Never had a problem with it.
Hard? Who said it was hard? It's time consuming for some, but not hard. I still play P99 EQ where that kind of thing is much more time consuming. My point was about something completely different of which corpse recovery was just an example.

Back