What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Crafting Professions

Redwolf

Is the crafting Profession system limited to one specialization? I.E. limited to a single type of crafting per character? (Like LOTRO)

Or

Can one character max them all out? (Like EQ)

I’m just trying to figure out how many characters I’ll have to make because Crafting, is my thing.

It's 3 per Character and there's 3 Harvesting + 8 Crafting Professions.
So you would need 3 characters to be almost self reliant, you will lack 2.

Harvesting:
Prospector - Mines, Gems
Hunter - Skins. Leafs
Forester - Plants, Woods and Mushrooms

Crafting:
Light Weaponsmith
Heavy Weaponsmith
Armorsmith
Leatherworker
Provisionner
Taylor
Tinkerer
Woodworker

You need level 6 to select your second profession and those 2 professions needs to be level 12 each to get your third one.
Also, you can never be less than 10 adventuring level below from your professions.

Hope this help!

So could you split them up this way:

Character1:Mines/Gems/Skins
Character2:Leafs/Plants/Wood-Shrooms
Character3:Armorsmith/Leatherworker/Tailor
Character4:Woodworker/Lt. Weaponsmith/Hvy. Weaponsmith?

The bad: Ok so, to be blunt, I don’t like having to raise up harvesting skills to 12 and not being able to get into a low level crafting if I want. It’s very ‘grindy’ to just run around looking for metal or wood etc. for many levels without being able to use the materials on something beyond a small refinery to make ingots. Not to mention harsh on the eyes at night to struggle to see and running away from Smugglers and bears because I’m only level 4 Defender. Night time really limits what you can do, it’s very dark.

Having forges in the starter area and trainers who offer those discipline books without that 12 level requirement would make the whole starter area much more fun. I spent my first hours last night on the test server. I got Defender leave 4, Prospecting level 9 and Wood gathering level 4 with nothing else to do but keep collecting and fighting creatures with no more than 2 white chevrons to me.

It’s still not clear to me if I have to buy all 3 harvesting books or not. I bought the first one, Prospector and then the Forestry one. I tried to buy the Hunting one but it wouldn’t let me citing I needed to be level 12 for the third one? So I can’t even skin the animals I kill unless I pick Hunting first or maybe second? I didn’t like that at all.

The Good: the game seems pretty stable though there are moments my gfx began to stutter and slow down drastically. I reduced my gfx to minimum (I have a 2080) and that seemed to help. There a few beginning quests and that was ok. The fighting and positioning seemed to flow alright as well and I did get some book drops and armor drops from mobs which was nice and having to repair equipment that did get damaged from use.

So could you split them up this way:

Character1:Mines/Gems/Skins
Character2:Leafs/Plants/Wood-Shrooms
Character3:Armorsmith/Leatherworker/Tailor
Character4:Woodworker/Lt. Weaponsmith/Hvy. Weaponsmith?
EDIT: Based On latest revisions from crafting!

I think what you mean is:

Character 1: Miner, Forester, Hunter (all 3x Harvesting Professions)
Character 2: Armorsmith, Outiftter, Tinkerer
Character 3: Woodworker, Weaponsmith, Provisioner

Since there are 9 harvesting/crafting professions, and you can only pick up 3x on each character, you’re looking at 3x characters to be able to do it all. If you’re focus was on Weaopnsmithing you could try:

Character 1: Miner, Hunter, Weaponsmith
Character 2: Woodworker, Provisioner, Forester
Character 3: Armorer, Outfitter, Tinkerer (relying on Characters 1 and 2 for resources)

Alternately, if you were focused on Armorsmithing you might alter it a little:

Character 1: Miner, Hunter, Armorsmith (metal armor req’s hides)
Character 2: Outfitter, Tinkerer, Forester (relying on character 1 for ore & hides)
Character 3: Woodworker, Provisioner, Weaponsmith (reliant on character 1 & 2 for resources)

Last edited:
Back to where we were before. 1 account can do it all, but I guess that is what the majority want since the changes didn't last a week. Will make trade early on non-existent except for maybe some dropped recipes, but with the "must be within 10 levels adventuring" rule, perhaps less people will level up 3 level 40 characters so might see some trading in the 35-50 level range.

Back to where we were before. 1 account can do it all, but I guess that is what the majority want since the changes didn't last a week. Will make trade early on non-existent except for maybe some dropped recipes, but with the "must be within 10 levels adventuring" rule, perhaps less people will level up 3 level 40 characters so might see some trading in the 35-50 level range.
Let me ask: Are you in favor of crafting restrictions that are so limiting that no single account could ever do it all? If so, what would be the outcome of those restrictions?

I’d like to at least offer one possible outcome: If a gamer STILL wanted to do it all, and some certainly would, they’d have to purchase add’l accounts and subscriptions. That sounds surprisingly like a pay-to-win system. Now the Embers team faces the fact that they’re product could be open (even if indirectly) to P2W ridicule which stands against their advertised core tenants.

I’m not expressing my preferences, here, just offering food for thought.

Personally, I’m a busy professional with a busy family, it would be easier if there were only 6 professions associated with crafting because that’s just two characters to level up to maintain crafting independence. I’ll also admit that’s not the Intention of the game - I know. I’m just calling out the challenge of balance in these changes/decisions.

This is a general point, not just to this topic, but other topics on other forums in games aiming for the same kind of classic feel.

I get the impression that we want our games to be jobs or miserable experiences. We seem to say a lot about how if we do this or that the game is becoming a WoW clone. Maybe it is the advantage of playing all of those classic MMO's on emulation servers very recently but pretty much all of what we see debated was done before WoW.

Pre-WoW you could run fast, you could teleport, the games gave you ways to trivialise punishments like death penalties and getting out of a dungeon, even for melee/tank classes when the developers saw it was a needed convenience. Bypassing content in the form of sneak, invisibility, pacify etc was not a contemptable concept. You could learn all of the crafting skills you wanted, as you can in most MMO's now, and the economies ran fine.

I don't think trading will be slow because of the decision to allow one account or one player for that matter to do everything. It will be slow because players cannot do everything and will horde their resources as so much of it is required to level crafting skills. Players won't want to sell, and the game will not have enough players to support the current design philosophy of required interaction to buy goods. If everyone can gather everything, there will be an abundance of resources for sale? Seems simple really. I hope I am wrong, and the current change to accommodate spreading gathering/crafting across only one account is a welcome, albeit still restrictive, change.

I wish we would look at MMO development as something that should be enjoyable for both the player and developer as opposed to trying to interpret what is or isn't classic and come up with the most grindy or unfun way to implement a system into a game. Convenience is not a dirty word and was embraced, even by classic MMO's, because it makes sense for the player experience.

You are all forgetting the vast majority of lazy and more casual players who just want to buy already crafted items, or to work with out guild to make things. The people that want to be able to do everything all by themselves is a small group compared to the average player who will have a crafting profession and trade with friends or randoms to get what they need. Be social y'all.

As a mainly crafter in every MMORPG I have played. I am actually disappointed that I HAVE to level my combat skill to level my crafting skill. I played through over 15 years of SWG with 1 fighting character and all the rest crafting characters that couldn't get out of a paper bag. I still play those characters regularly when I have nothing else to play. Thank goodness for free shards.

I prefer that no one account can do it all. When a few old school games allowed only 1 character per account, the games flourished. If you didn't like you path, you rerolled until you found that one character you loved to play. I also played a crafter only character on more than one game with only 1 toon. If you depend on other people for supplies then it forces an economy.

Mejakka / Jakka

Back