What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Black screen, only game widgets appear (Mac)

Th2012

First time logging in for the free trial, I see game widgets but no character appears in the character creation, I just have a black screen. And also in the world, I see all the game widgets (name tag, chat, hot bar, etc.) but the world is just a black screen. Any ideas?

First time logging in for the free trial, I see game widgets but no character appears in the character creation, I just have a black screen. And also in the world, I see all the game widgets (name tag, chat, hot bar, etc.) but the world is just a black screen. Any ideas?
Typically with a black/red screen it is an unsupported graphics card and hence cannot render the world - only the UI elements. What graphics card are you running?

Typically with a black/red screen it is an unsupported graphics card and hence cannot render the world - only the UI elements. What graphics card are you running?
I'm on a 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 8-Core Intel i9 with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB graphics card.

I'm on a 2019 MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 8-Core Intel i9 with AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8GB graphics card.
hrm theoretically that "should" work - what version of macOS are you on? I'll try the client on my wife's older macbook (intel) tomorrow. It currently works on my 2021 M1 mbp (macOS 12.6), my 2013 mac pro (AMD FirePro D300 on macOS 10.15), and my hackintosh using an AMD 580 Vega (which I believe is running 10.14?).

I wonder if somehow your mac is using the integrated card when starting up the game? Shooting me the logs will help me figure that out pretty quick. If you want to send them to me via PM I can take a look. They are found via right clicking on the launcher and selecting "Show Package Contents", navigating to "client\live" and you should see "embersadrift.log" and "embersadrift.prev.log".

I just tested on my wife's work laptop (2019 16" mbp with an AMD Radeon Pro 5300M). I encountered a black screen only on character selection/creation which tells me it is the depth-of-field post processing effect we use only in that scene. After hitting "enter world" it loaded and rendered as expected. The odd thing is however, I exited full screen, restarted the client, and no longer encountered the black screen on selection/creation. So your mileage may vary here but I recommend exiting full screen and restarting the client, then re-enabling full screen if you so choose.

Either way - if the black screen is only occurring on selection/creation you should be able to play - it will just stop you from seeing your character during creation.

I just tested on my wife's work laptop (2019 16" mbp with an AMD Radeon Pro 5300M). I encountered a black screen only on character selection/creation which tells me it is the depth-of-field post processing effect we use only in that scene. After hitting "enter world" it loaded and rendered as expected. The odd thing is however, I exited full screen, restarted the client, and no longer encountered the black screen on selection/creation. So your mileage may vary here but I recommend exiting full screen and restarting the client, then re-enabling full screen if you so choose.

Either way - if the black screen is only occurring on selection/creation you should be able to play - it will just stop you from seeing your character during creation.
Sure I can send you those files, but I'm failing to see an option on the forum to PM you. I tried disabling full screen and restarting but still get the black screen on both character creation and in the world. In fact I'm getting a black screen the whole way through, account login and all. Also, I'm on OS Ventura 13.4

Sure I can send you those files, but I'm failing to see an option on the forum to PM you. I tried disabling full screen and restarting but still get the black screen on both character creation and in the world. In fact I'm getting a black screen the whole way through, account login and all. Also, I'm on OS Ventura 13.4
Sounds like a different issue, or maybe a tangentially related issue. Either way there's not much else I can do right now outside of seeing if I can find some info on the unity forums. My wife is leaving on a business trip tomorrow so I won't have her laptop to tinker with :(

Sounds like a different issue, or maybe a tangentially related issue. Either way there's not much else I can do right now outside of seeing if I can find some info on the unity forums. My wife is leaving on a business trip tomorrow so I won't have her laptop to tinker with :(
Well, didn't get things working on the Mac OS but I had Windows setup on bootcamp (same laptop) so gave that a try and everything works just right. Thought you might want to know.

Well, didn't get things working on the Mac OS but I had Windows setup on bootcamp (same laptop) so gave that a try and everything works just right. Thought you might want to know.
I still need to do some digging on the cause of this but I'm sure it's some Unity bug. They are far less concerned about macOS builds compared to iOS stuff unfortunately. Thanks for the update though!

Back