Embers Adrift

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Search results

1. K

TOPIC: The importance of light and darkness in Embers Adrift

Yes. I've played games in which certain activities can be done only at night or only during the day, and my experience with them is that sitting around waiting for the sun to rise or set is only slightly more interesting than watching paint dry. Therefore I'd certainly favour being able to...
  2. K

Bought the game so long ago....

I, too, apologize for hijacking the thread... One thing that many Americans seem to forget is that 95% of the world's population doesn't live in America. So please, if you're talking about time, don't use American time zones - use UTC. It's the worldwide standard, and was created for exactly...
  3. K

TOPIC: Being unique in MMORPGS part 1 - How important is it for you?

You're grossly overstating the case here - accidentally learning something you don't want is a long way from being the end of the world. Yes, using a skill will increase your level in it, but using any other skill (which you'll do a LOT) will decrease your level in it. On balance, your level in...
  4. K

I think we're going to have to agree to disagree. Yes, It's true that the 'you are what you do' system will cause your skills to diverge from your desired build if you don't use them in proportion to your desired build. The difference between you and me is that you think that's a problem, and I...
  5. K

I proposed a 'you are what you do' game system in which maintaining a chosen character build requires you to manage the activities you perform in the game. You proposed allowing players to pin the skills they don't wish to improve, which achieves the same outcome with less effort on the part of...
  6. K

I think you need to be careful about what you infer from people's choices. If a game allows players to take short-cuts, everyone will choose to take them because why wouldn't you? But a game that doesn't allow players to take short-cuts may well be regarded as a more challenging game, and be...
  7. K

You said "keep it coming", so... I'm not a fan of binary abilities or shticks; that is, abilities that you either do or don't have, things you either can or can't do. Typically, characters will start without (most) such abilities, and will have the option to acquire them at some point in their...
  8. K

Me. I'm not trying to please other people - I'm just saying what I'd like to see. If nobody else agrees, then I guess I'm outvoted, but I won't know that until I put forward the idea. Every game (tennis, golf, tiddlywinks, everything) has rules that restrict the means that players are allowed...
  9. K

Not entirely. You could choose which skills you want to put the training reward into, but you couldn't choose where the experience you get during the adventure goes. And that's as it should be - if you use a skill during adventure, you will gain experience in that skill, whether you want to or...
  10. K

True, and I did think of that. But what if money and other valuable items are not tradable between characters? Would that be a cure that's worse than the disease? Or better still: what if the amount of actual loot you get from dungeon-delving is very limited (after all, how likely is it that...
  11. K

So you go on an adventure that earns you some points, then you spend those points on skills that you didn't use on the adventure. That's supposed to represent your character spending (off-camera) time after the adventure learning or practising those skills. To me that would make perfect sense...
  12. K

My view is that the elements of a game that are based on the real world should work the way they do in the real world. It's fine to say "it's fantasy, so we can make it work any way we want" only with respect to those elements of the game (such as magic) that are based on fantasy. As the...
  13. K

I've been wondering for some time whether there is any merit in a system in which gaining competence in one skill causes you to lose (a small amount of) competence in every other skill. The amount of competence you lose in each skill would be proportional to your level in that skill, so a...
  14. K

TOPIC: Being unique in MMORPGS part 2 - Character creators

I'm probably going to need a flame-proof suit after posting this, but here goes: When I read a review of a game that says it has stunningly beautiful graphics, my usual reaction is "it's a pity they didn't put all that effort into something that's actually important". For me, the graphics are...
  15. K

These are all good points, and I don't disagree with them. But I don't see how the issue of items being more powerful than the character who wears them is related to the issue of items being bound to the character who created them. Wouldn't it be entirely possible have a game in which imbuing a...
  16. K

This. What about a system in which superior items of equipment are non-tradable, because making them superior requires imbuing them with magic, and that process binds them to their creator (so they would just be mundane items in anyone else's hands). This would mean that the items you wear are a...