What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Worried about the Linux client.

@Undone, Any progress on this?
I checked just the other day and it still crashes on startup. I’ve got some leads but haven’t had the time to track them down yet. I also have a few bugs confirmed by unity but who knows how long it will take them to fix them :(

I'm eager to load EA onto my Steam Deck. But no rush! I'm sure you've a lot to do ;)

I play using Lutris and performance is perfectly fine. Obviously, I would love a native client but it is what it is.

It should be assured Linux support works with the steam deck seeing as how it has a partially closed system. Steam deck will be the reason behind the greatest demand for linux support imo.

I play using Lutris and performance is perfectly fine. Obviously, I would love a native client but it is what it is.
Can you, please, elaborate on the perfectly fine performance via Lutris? With tweaks, various versions of wine and in-game quality at perfomant/potato setting, can't get above 10-12 fps

Can you, please, elaborate on the perfectly fine performance via Lutris? With tweaks, various versions of wine and in-game quality at perfomant/potato setting, can't get above 10-12 fps
Yeah I would like to know myself. Cause I tried using proton and letting it run for a few hours because I thought it was just compiling textures. However I still got 1fps on the lowest settings.

Happily. I use AMD Ryzen CPU and AMD Gpu on Opensuse with Lutris
1664840627056.png
1664840663019.png
1664841293922.png

Default video settings about ongoing of 35 fps. Is it great or ideal? No. It's a slow paced game I don't need 144 fps. Besides, I thought the goal of the FPS was around 40 at launch? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. I hope these screenies help you in some, way, shape, or form. Feel free to reach out mate.

Last edited:
Can you, please, elaborate on the perfectly fine performance via Lutris? With tweaks, various versions of wine and in-game quality at perfomant/potato setting, can't get above 10-12 fpsI

I did a test with performant and potato presets... they seem to drop performance drastically from the preset. It's very odd behavior..

Happily. I use AMD Ryzen CPU and AMD Gpu on Opensuse with Lutris
View attachment 2357
View attachment 2358
View attachment 2359

Default video settings about ongoing of 35 fps. Is it great or ideal? No. It's a slow paced game I don't need 144 fps. Besides, I thought the goal of the FPS was around 40 at launch? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. I hope these screenies help you in some, way, shape, or form. Feel free to reach out mate.
Much appreciated for the info and the screenshots. I'll give it a try and give some feedback

Working OKish with Wine-GE-Proton7-31 and Lutris. On initial play the framerate was terrible (sub 10fps), but upon reloading the game with balanced preset, lowered draw distance, no shadows, and FXAA I was averaging around 25-30fps. For the devteam, I hope a native Linux build will still be offered when development resources can be put towards it.

Code:
System Specs;
Kernel: 6.0.1-arch1-1
CPU: Intel i7-7700k @ 4.500GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Memory: 32062MiB

Did some more testing yesterday and recommend using DXVK-Async (current 1.10.3 https://github.com/Sporif/dxvk-async/releases) to help reduce stutter. For NVIDIA users I'm also running the following env variables to give EA its own cache (by default NVIDIA only sets a softcap of 128mb for shader files across ALL games combined) and disable removal of the cache if it goes over size. It hasn't helped any with overall framerate, but has helped quite a bit with stutter.

DXVK_ASYNC=1
__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE=true
__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH=$HOME/.cache/nvidia/embersadrift
__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_SKIP_CLEANUP=true

FWIW, whether I run through proton experimenal, latest GE, or natively on windows, I get the same performance. Sadly, it's terrible performance, but at least it's consistently the same whether I run it on windows or linux. That's with an amd cpu and gpu, but wouldn't be surprised if it was the same result with an nvidia card.

Okay, took me a while to get that thing running. I have it now running in Lutris with GE Proton 7.38.

My first problem was that the launcher started, but the game then hang. After a little debugging I think there is some networking issue, but not sure. Eventually I duplicated the game config and now run the launcher to update the game, then run the game directory (without launcher).

The next issue was the really sick framerate (2 fps). I solve this by changing the Vulkan IDC loader (I'm using an AMD graphic card). I now have up to 60 fps in 2k resolution with high details (ultra falls down to 2 fps again, but high is fine with me):

screenshot-ember-2022-11-05 16-47-40.png

Okay, took me a while to get that thing running. I have it now running in Lutris with GE Proton 7.38.

My first problem was that the launcher started, but the game then hang. After a little debugging I think there is some networking issue, but not sure. Eventually I duplicated the game config and now run the launcher to update the game, then run the game directory (without launcher).

The next issue was the really sick framerate (2 fps). I solve this by changing the Vulkan IDC loader (I'm using an AMD graphic card). I now have up to 60 fps in 2k resolution with high details (ultra falls down to 2 fps again, but high is fine with me):

View attachment 2607
Very interesting approach!
I'm trying to make it work on a laptop with nvidia 1650Ti to no avail. FPS are below 8 at best.
May i ask what was the default variable of Vulkan ICD loader before you make the change? Also, what's your AMD gpu?

Default was Intel, my GPU:

Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device: AMD Radeon RX Vega (vega10, LLVM 14.0.6, DRM 3.41, 5.13.13-1-MANJARO) (0x687f)
Version: 22.2.1
Accelerated: yes
Video memory: 8192MB
Unified memory: no
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core profile version: 4.6
Max compat profile version: 4.6
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2

Default was Intel, my GPU:

Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
Vendor: AMD (0x1002)
Device: AMD Radeon RX Vega (vega10, LLVM 14.0.6, DRM 3.41, 5.13.13-1-MANJARO) (0x687f)
Version: 22.2.1
Accelerated: yes
Video memory: 8192MB
Unified memory: no
Preferred profile: core (0x1)
Max core profile version: 4.6
Max compat profile version: 4.6
Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
Max GLES[23] profile version: 3.2
Thank you Xeus for the info :)

Back