What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

QA May 2023

So if it's clearly meeting so much backlash on mere mention then why not just keep it on the spreadsheets and to yourselves as it is currently. You get to have your caps that you insist are so important and we get to keep enjoying thoerycraftjng and building our characters as we have been. Maybe let's listen to the players "then" make changes
I don't consider a few folks speculating on how things will work before any details are shared to be anywhere in the realm of "so much backlash". The whole point of QA is to implement ideas and gather feedback on the implementation of said ideas - hence why we are discussing these things and implementing them in QA. At the end of the day we are the developers of the game and will continue to do what we believe moves the game in a positive direction.

Well thats why both sides need a little give. I will wait see the changes and give my opinion. On the other hand we few who speculate usually have experiences that makes us think that way and are not naive to game design in the mmo space. I can give multiple ways to solve these problems if needed. And help where I can. If you want me to log in more and actually test things tho I need grouping fixed so I can party with new players at level 5 without rolling a new character. Gel dont really work for me. I would rather scale from 23 down to level 5 and teach new people than scale lvl 19s up to 23 or me scale up to 27 when it so hard to find people. Either do that or make in game dungeons have a level cap. Something so I can go have fun with the other few people online rather than log on and be alone. That will continue to be my biggest gripe currently. None of the rest of this really matters till I can group properly. I would stay logged in 24/7 if given the opportunity.

Some players seem to think throwing a little money for a sub suddenly means they're on par with the developers of the game. I'd rather see a game crash and burn with its devs vision intact than watch it crash and burn from the dev allowing apparently entitled players to dictate development. Some players need to take a step back and remember their place in the system.

Some players seem to think throwing a little money for a sub suddenly means they're on par with the developers of the game. I'd rather see a game crash and burn with its devs vision intact than watch it crash and burn from the dev allowing apparently entitled players to dictate development. Some players need to take a step back and remember their place in the system.
Criticizing others for having opinions isn't constructive. This is a place for discussion and there is no "remember their place in the system". We are all free to spend our time and money any way we like and I would like to think that good devs listen to feedback of their players so the game doesn't crash and burn. Both side are never always right on every topic no matter what the vision is, ask 5 players how to implement an auction house and you will get 5 different designs. Same thing probably happens to the devs lol. But I think we need to talk to figure it out. Ridiculing people just leads to toxicity or even worse people not talking and moving on. For the most part I feel we have a mature respectful and knowledgeable community of players. I also feel we have devs who enjoy the feedback and are very responsive even if they don't use all of it in their vision.

Sorry, but "you need to listen to us because we've played games for 20 years and we know better than you" is not feedback, it's childish and entitled. I've been playing games since the '80's. If I make a suggestion or provide feedback, that's all it is. I don't thump my chest and demand to be paid attention to. The devs like the suggestion or they don't. I'm not going to sit and continue to hammer them because I somehow believe they need to see the error of their ways and conform to my wishes. The Stormhaven devs have a lot of restraint, there'd be at least 3 different people in this thread banned on any other game's forum talking like that to a dev.

Sorry, but "you need to listen to us because we've played games for 20 years and we know better than you" is not feedback, it's childish and entitled. I've been playing games since the '80's. If I make a suggestion or provide feedback, that's all it is. I don't thump my chest and demand to be paid attention to. The devs like the suggestion or they don't. I'm not going to sit and continue to hammer them because I somehow believe they need to see the error of their ways and conform to my wishes. The Stormhaven devs have a lot of restraint, there'd be at least 3 different people in this thread banned on any other game's forum talking like that to a dev.
The statement of previous history was merely meant as context nothing more.

Math is factual.
If you take a 7 string variable function and give it a max value of 50 what is the highest whole integer you can give to any one value ? How is that affected by a heavily weighted value? How is that affected by advantage or disadvantage ? After answering then please explain how rounding from itemization of gear affects those variables smoothly without significant scaling to a level that makes most itemization functionally not worthless in the computation.

Current Scaling and by default even more importantly stat caps combined with itemization that gives a greater total number of available equipped stats, fail this test from a purely math perspective.

The developers can and will do whatever they want to with their game. They asked for feedback. This is the feedback forum. That is a pretty precise technical question about core mechanics of gameplay and itemization for now and moving forward. If the developers no longer wish for feedback that is also ok, if they deem us disruptive somehow and want to ban us for sincerely trying to help the game so be it, we can take our ban and all of our friends with us.

If we take the above example one step further. Take a group of 5 level appropriate players into content with the normal gear they are wearing. Then place an afk level 50 player in the group that adds nothing but GEL into the same area, Except this time Give all the players Best in Slot weapons for level, the tank only AC gear with weapon and shield, and everyone else level 1 starter gear. In the same area there will be no discernible difference in group power minus potentially increase damage to the tank depending on the mobs you are fighting. Test it because we have.

I don't consider a few folks speculating on how things will work before any details are shared to be anywhere in the realm of "so much backlash". The whole point of QA is to implement ideas and gather feedback on the implementation of said ideas - hence why we are discussing these things and implementing them in QA. At the end of the day we are the developers of the game and will continue to do what we believe moves the game in a positive direction.
At the end of the day all this feedback doesn't matter and we're going to steer this ship straight into the iceberg anyway. Great attitude to have dude.....

At the end of the day all this feedback doesn't matter and we're going to steer this ship straight into the iceberg anyway. Great attitude to have dude.....
Your attitude appears to be one of "if the developers don't agree with my disagreements then their heads are in the sand". You are here, in this thread, throwing a fit over a system that isn't even in QA yet. We understand your concerns and have had the same ones ourselves.

Math is factual.
If you take a 7 string variable function and give it a max value of 50 what is the highest whole integer you can give to any one value ? How is that affected by a heavily weighted value? How is that affected by advantage or disadvantage ? After answering then please explain how rounding from itemization of gear affects those variables smoothly without significant scaling to a level that makes most itemization functionally not worthless in the computation.

Current Scaling and by default even more importantly stat caps combined with itemization that gives a greater total number of available equipped stats, fail this test from a purely math perspective.
Is this an actual question? Or a rhetorical question? Because I don't quite understand what you are getting at here.

Regarding advantage/disadvantage: your damage is rolled twice and the higher/lower result is taken before any multipliers or bonuses are accounted for.

At the end of the day all this feedback doesn't matter and we're going to steer this ship straight into the iceberg anyway. Great attitude to have dude....
At the end of the day its feedback from a few sources. your opinion isn't the only one and I would like to see the changes before assuming.

Your attitude appears to be one of "if the developers don't agree with my disagreements then their heads are in the sand". You are here, in this thread, throwing a fit over a system that isn't even in QA yet. We understand your concerns and have had the same ones ourselves.
So now we move to personal attacks, great. Arguing against a change is not equal to throwing a fit.

So now we move to personal attacks, great. Arguing against a change is not equal to throwing a fit.
In my view you started the personal attacks calling his judgement into question like he is dumb and wants the game to fail. If we can act more civil in the words we use, others wouldn't have such negative reactions. If we want positive change we need to conduct ourselves so. I for one appricate how the devs interact with us. Its candid and they don't pull punches on active discussion. He is still right we are arguing on things not implemented and we are speculating. At the end of the day we are getting our feedback listened to a thousand times more than you would get in any other mmo.

Regarding advantage/disadvantage: your damage is rolled twice and the higher/lower result is taken before any multipliers or bonuses are accounted for.
Yes I know how this system works. This is not what my question was regarding. My question relating this part of the combat equation is this.

If you have a min value of 0 and a max value of only 3 you further hamper any relevant difference between the before and after. If your possible outcomes are 0,1,2,3 does advantage or disadvantage really make any difference? If we take that example from a pure probability standpoint the answer is not really.
Is this an actual question? Or a rhetorical question? Because I don't quite understand what you are getting at here.

I will never bother to ask rhetorical questions. Im not trying to be disruptive, Im not trying to berate, Im not being impolite. I am trying to get answers on how you are trying to manage Vertical and Horizontal progression while not scaling power to any large degree.

How can you manage percentage buffs and debuffs with whole integer dice rolls and not lose effectiveness of those bonuses/debuffs?

How can you expect to scale whole number multiple variable integer inputs when your scale is very limited with minimal vertical progression of stats?

How are you planning to implement stat caps so that when you add greater overall stat values to players you are maintaining limits on power creep without neutering build diversity?

There are many times your development team references your vision for the game being different. Please share what that vision is with respect to combat, so we as a community can choose to participate or not.

We as players are able to do everything in the game with the current items, stats, and skills. Once they add level 50 content, which they stated was Q4, I assume they would at least have items, stats, and skills in place to allow us to ramp up to successfully complete that content. So not sure why we are pitchforking in May in regards to this kind of stuff. Let them get the game out, it is their vision and design. If you don't like it in the Oct-Dec timeframe you may want to consider alternatives.

If you're not 50, get 50, it is accessible. If you're 50 and have been in 10+ community meetings, you know you have a bit of a wait.

Imo from all my time running D&D. I dont think stat caps really matter. I always limited power creep by limiting build diversity on what gear can do. In 3.5 d&d you have body slot affinities and logical stat caps on what you give out. Then stat caps are never realized by the player. As for something like halt, Final fantasy 11's bind works functionally how halt should. But in embers we lack the other abilities that save a mage from dying to random strikes. Mages could gain access to either utsusemi or blink and dodge the next 1 or 2 attacks or they had access to stoneskin which absorb a certain amount of dmg before it wore off. If you were standing in the wrong place at the wrong time, you could live if you were buffed up and paying attention.

I think what many are forgetting as well is the game is not released because it's ready, it was released because it had to be. Getting upset because stats change or mechanics are changed really serves no purpose. This is a "released" early access game, and that's not a knock against the devs at all, they did what they had to do and this game still needs to be developed. I won't even complain about a sub for early access because games like ARK literally charged for expansions while in "beta". It either comes down to accepting this, or moving on to something else you enjoy. In fact, every released and years old mmorpg out there from the beginning has the same disclaimer on the back of the box ( and website if digital only ): "Gameplay subject to change.". Heck, ESO devs change the combat skills every three months to break up the newest meta. If we're going to tell these devs "put something in and then leave it alone from then on", might as well just say "Turn off the servers", because that's a hamstring guaranteed to kill any development.

In my 24 years of MMORPG experience, containing all the big names such as EverQuest, WoW, Rift, Black Desert, Lost Ark etc. I learned only thing: Posts starting with "In my x years of MMORPG experience" and then talking about what games they played, rarely contribute much to a discussion, but are just a type of fallacy that tries to put more weight onto that person's opinion. Let's not do that please and let the content of each post speak for itself. ;)

Let me start with a logical problem from Adric:
[...] Maybe the devil's in the details too much, hopefully we can release the numbers on QA and up any caps that is currently impacting players because we aren't looking to impact any current itemization, only plan for future expansion of itemization options.
This states: You up any caps that is CURRENTLY impacting players.

And when I complain about it:
Which essentially means: We're locking in current itemization, with NO items at lvl50 and only one healer item >40... this means: my current heal output will stay at this level, no matter what items drop for me and I cannot improve my char anymore. [...]

You answer by saying:
[...] Which essentially means you are putting words in my mouth. As stated the initial system would not be impacted this includes any lvl 46, 48, 50 items as they are included in the initial itemization system. [...]

Yeah... what is it now? Adjust caps that are -currently- impacting players, where NOONE has any equipment that is top level or set a limit for future drops where not even a single player can comment on, since noone has ever seen any drops of that level range?
I'm not putting words into your mouth... either you can balance it around items that are currently attainable by players, then it's a future nerf already or you balance it around items that might be in the database, but aren't available yet. Then asking us to give feedback about it is pointless, since we have no idea about what the stats will be, can't test any of it and it will be (remember Q4 for lvl50 content?) half a year in the future for us to know if what you implemented is good or not.

And half a year in the future:
You all seem to be concerned with a system that hasn't even been detailed yet. [...] It's fine and dandy to theory craft but for this particular instance I ask that we wait for it to be implemented, try it out, and then provide feedback on our implementation.
If that system has been in for half a year and THEN we provide feedback, do you think you are going to scrap the entire thing if the playerbase doesn't like it? No... so far, if something is happening that is completely disliked, the only way to stop it from happening is to immediately protest and this is not only this game only, but everywhere. If a system is in place already, it is FAR more difficult to get rid of it again, than to prevent it in the first place. Usually it ends up as "yeah, personx/members/citizens/etc. don't like it, we'll throw them a bone by changing a few details, but essentially it will stay this way now"

The alternative is of course, if you add in items with highly improved stats directly after implementing the new system, it will be a nerf for all current high level players, since the new caps will be a lot easier to reach, even without lvl50 items. And then this system is never going to be changed again ("Sorry, we can't remove the stat caps anymore. All the new items added would in conjunction be far to powerful...")

Or you are not adding that much more powerful new items, but if the stat cap isn't reachable... why implement it now in the first place and not instead focus the very limited development time on something that is actually going to make a difference now?

[...] I have yet to be convinced by the feedback provided that stat caps would have such an impact on the game as is feared. I've explained the goals in the current system why this helps itemization. Concerns have been raised and addressed around nerfs.

The concern around players no longer having any differences between them I don't fully understand. In the context of comparing it to the current system, I don't see the example of this happening at least in making it worse than the current system. [...]

I'll give you an example about how this removes differences:
You are planning to add items with higher single stat bonuses as you stated here (if you aren't the system is pointless anyway, isn't it?):
Maybe it's not clear, the stat caps are intended to be set at the currently itemized stat caps. ie you have 10 slots with +healing each slot has at most 10 +healing (again this example is not using in-game numbers), so from your gear you have a max of 100 healing. The stat cap is set to 100 and nothing changes with your current gear.

Uncapped system means I cannot give gear with 11 healing, capped system means I can.
Which will as an extreme example, just like you, pulling out random numbers, mean: You add 3 items with +50 healing each into the game, while the cap is set to 150 healing.
a) Anyone having the old items will have to reitemize with the new ones, since they are obviously better. (Even if the difference is very tiny, everyone will have to do that)
b) Having to reitemize the main stats on fewer items means also that you have to swap out ALL other items with that stat too, since going overcap is pointless and even with the other stats making minor differences, a lousy +1 resilience is better than a +10 overcapped healing. Which completely wrecks everything people have geared for so far... it essentially wastes months of playtime.
c) Everyone will be at that stat cap and there will be very, very minor differences between players only based in "junk" stats.
d) Players that spent hundreds of days of ingame time farming the perfect max +healing items and balancing all their gear around it will be at the same +healing bonus AND HAVE THE SAME HEALING OUTPUT as people that go "I equipped those 3 new nice items and focus the rest on combat movement, so I don't have to put my weapon away when repositioning! *HERP-DERP*"

I think what many are forgetting as well is the game is not released because it's ready, it was released because it had to be. Getting upset because stats change or mechanics are changed really serves no purpose. This is a "released" early access game, and that's not a knock against the devs at all, they did what they had to do and this game still needs to be developed. I won't even complain about a sub for early access because games like ARK literally charged for expansions while in "beta". It either comes down to accepting this, or moving on to something else you enjoy. [...]
Then marketing sucked... in fact it really did. I for example learned about the game like 5 days before the release date by accidently stumbling over an obscure comment somewhere. This game was marketed as finished and having content up to lvl50. NOWHERE did it say how it truly was at release:"Hey guys, we have content to lvl30 and about 2 camps for each level range (except the 20+... there is only one each)". This is what people complain about. There still isn't any content at 50. The highest mobs are lvl46/47 in ONE single, small Ember Vein. The highest zone below that is Exile Freehold which is an outdoor dungeon with the highest mobs being 2 spawns that can reach lvl43, rest of the zone is <=42. There is no base zone of lvl40 even yet. Most tradeskills are impossible to level to 50, since the mats needed haven't been implemented yet or are so terrible to farm you would need months. The highest items ingame are 6 lvl46 drops from the EV, ALL other items are lvl<=40. This includes Flux btw, so noone even knows what the lvl50 flux is going to be called.
Yes, it would have been a good idea to market this as a beta, even focusing on it. "Now going into beta release! You can help shape the world by providing feedback while playing before everyone else! And it is under ten bucks a month with the promise of NEVER having ANY form of microtransaction, just like a classic MMOPRG should be."... It works for f-ing Pantheon where people pay a hundred bucks monthly to be able to play ONE DAY a month in a damn pre-alpha to be the company's guinea pigs...

You have to think about scaling here. With 100 active players on the server at peak times (with like only 10% even using the forum...), 5 people worried/angrily posting 3 posts each, when put to old WoW dimensions with 100k players online and 5k people complaining... well I think even someone as stubborn as Blizzard would care about a thread that had 15000 posts... even gaming sites would report about "the controversy".
And as I have pointed it our above: We can't provide feedback on stuff that we don't know about... what's the point of putting in a system NOW that will effect us in the far future (if current itemization is "not going to be affected"). The alternative is you planning to implement those over-stat items very soon, which will affect gameplay already, before the lvl50 content is even released to be tested/compared against.

[...]There has been mention of some stats being too weak such as stamina regeneration. Stat caps allow us to start offering higher amounts of these stats at lower levels without it being game-breaking at high levels and offering tradeoffs with other more valuable stats. This is some of what I am trying to communicate, but failing to convey. Perhaps the request would be more to make the stat stronger instead, but because we are currently working with % values the scope of this request would be not to increase the potency but to replace the stat entirely.

Right and I said it's fine feedback, but has nothing to do with the patch notes for QA and off-topic for our discussion.

My personal gripe is feedback that equates to making a different game. We work with the community to shape the game and steer things in a better direction, but there is occasionally feedback that completely opposes the goals and core tenants of the game itself. So how do we address this and take into consideration the feedback that the game should be changed into something else entirely? We state our goals with the game and hope to direct feedback towards making improvements in that direction.[...]
Yes, the request is to make the other stats useful. Some stats like +healing, +flanking, +dmg, phys resist etc. are SO MUCH more powerful than others like combat movement, resilience, all the debuff resists etc. that, as a player, you would be an idiot not to focus on the good ones. If the system was balanced there would be no need for artificial stat caps. Like for example "I really want that +healing, but then I won't have enough of the +sta regen and will run oom during combat... and don't these mobs do that nasty haste debuff? Damn, I have to keep that resist up or my casts won't be fast enough to heal the whole group. I think I can't afford to equip that... I have to test it. This sucks... what do to?" Even with the player thinking the situation which he's currently in (having to decide) "sucks", it is a lot more enjoyable than "+14 healing, -4 flanking? I'm going to camp that for a hundred hours, because that lvl20 item is a lot better than everything else *HURR-DURR*!" (yes, that's me, I admit it.)

And the feedback about the low numbers and non-exponentional scaling... you introduced that into the discussion yourself here:
[...]

Yes we purposely keep the numbers low and don't go into exponential scaling. Content remains dangerous especially group content. This does shrink our dynamic range, but this is what we are aiming for in terms of relative power across the level ranges. Damage isn't exponentially increasing, but people definitely feel those bumps and players hitting for 100-200+ at higher levels and that feels good.
After that the feedback of rounding problems and some stats not having much influence because of the low scaling (how much +healing -one of the most important stats!- does it need to make a noticeable difference in the warlords healing song?) is to be expected, since it is directly linked to stats being capped. Also the opinion that, after testing it for months now, "yeah, it was a nice idea at first, but that system simply sucks, feels unrewarding, brings more problems with it, than it solves and should be changed completely" is a valid one. Even if it goes against the "vision of the game", you should ask yourself:"Have I ever heard -anyone- say they are happy with how the stat scaling is implemented or has it always only been mentioned in a negative way, with noone defending the way it is?"

As for me personally... I don't think these caps can be prevented (this thread evolving has proven it to me more and more) and it -will- affect me, with my focus on one single stat (+healing), immensely in the future. It will completely break my build, will force me to reitemize nearly every slot and I most likely will have to adjust to a different playstyle too in the future (wasn't the 10% nerf on patch enough already? I don't want to have to use First Aid). So I have unsubbed yesterday and scrap the plan of playing another char to bridge the time until lvl50 content is implemented (Q4). I simply can't enjoy playing an alt while waiting to know if my main is going to receive the mother of all nerfs. Guess it's time for a few months of time-wasting with non-MMORPGs (D4?) and then "try out the implementation" :(

If that system has been in for half a year and THEN we provide feedback, do you think you are going to scrap the entire thing if the playerbase doesn't like it? No... so far, if something is happening that is completely disliked, the only way to stop it from happening is to immediately protest and this is not only this game only, but everywhere. If a system is in place already, it is FAR more difficult to get rid of it again, than to prevent it in the first place. Usually it ends up as "yeah, personx/members/citizens/etc. don't like it, we'll throw them a bone by changing a few details, but essentially it will stay this way now"

The alternative is of course, if you add in items with highly improved stats directly after implementing the new system, it will be a nerf for all current high level players, since the new caps will be a lot easier to reach, even without lvl50 items. And then this system is never going to be changed again ("Sorry, we can't remove the stat caps anymore. All the new items added would in conjunction be far to powerful...")

Or you are not adding that much more powerful new items, but if the stat cap isn't reachable... why implement it now in the first place and not instead focus the very limited development time on something that is actually going to make a difference now?
This is completely fair and I get it. I think some of the tension just comes from us having a much more complete picture of what we are aiming for than you all currently do since we haven't shared all of the details yet (as we are still tweaking them them internally). Our goal is not to upend the game but just provide a bit more flexibility design wise. As mentioned above adding these stat caps will impact nothing right now in the game as no itemization has been made with this in mind (these caps are also set above current level 50 gear targets). This system will more than likely only be used for less desirable stats so we can make them a bit more impactful and desired early on in the game. But we also plan to inject new items using this framework slowly so that if something does start going sour we can very easily just disable the system.

My job as the Tech lead is to implement these sorts of systems many moons in advance so that when the time comes to potentially utilize them they are in place. This particular system was built in such a way that it can easily be "disabled" and everything goes right back to the time before stat caps.

You have to think about scaling here. With 100 active players on the server at peak times (with like only 10% even using the forum...), 5 people worried/angrily posting 3 posts each, when put to old WoW dimensions with 100k players online and 5k people complaining... well I think even someone as stubborn as Blizzard would care about a thread that had 15000 posts... even gaming sites would report about "the controversy".
And as I have pointed it our above: We can't provide feedback on stuff that we don't know about... what's the point of putting in a system NOW that will effect us in the far future (if current itemization is "not going to be affected"). The alternative is you planning to implement those over-stat items very soon, which will affect gameplay already, before the lvl50 content is even released to be tested/compared against.
As mentioned above players shouldn't hit the stat cap even with planned level 50 gear. Ideally, it would be very difficult for players to hit any stat cap, and the system is flexible enough for us to make changes quickly if it comes to it (adjusting the cap, removing the cap, etc). And don't get me wrong, I appreciate you all coming here and voicing your strong opinions - it has come up in multiple design meetings and we certainly do take your concerns seriously. It is our hope that you don't even notice these stat caps for a long while if at all. But again - we are a highly iterative dev team and are happy to make adjustments based on player feedback.

Back