What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

DPS'n advice

Blyte Plays

disclaimer.. this is all my opinion and a lot of guess work.. this is also given from a party based DPS perspective, and assuming you are 14+, and wanting to min/max. You can still do great DPS not using this advice!

disclaimer 2.. the info in this thread is a bit dated. Offhand-weapon attack % chance, has been re-worked. Hit seems to have gotten a buff.

THREAT:
don't rip threat, try and DPS from the rear position, because the striking class has -threat built in from the rear.
try and do a few DPS abilities early, then wipe the threat from them with fading strike.
turn off attack if you rip threat and the monster is still not in a health range that you can quickly burst them down or you cannot fading strike out of the threat lead.
If you like to DPS with a bow, you also will generate less threat from range, but dont rip aggro from your tank. No one will like chasing after a monster running to you.
If you are with a tank who is needing to dump a lot of stam to keep up with your threat, dont use your 20 second buffs stacked, just use one at a time to keep up the steady damage without ripping threat. Communicate with the tank so you are in a sweet spot and can reduce down time.

POSITIONAL BONUS:
positional bonuses matter. pay attention to them. they matter more if you stack +flanking gear.
DMG > PEN > HIT (This of course becomes false when you are dealing with high values of HIT or PEN vs. small values of DMG)
The more flanking bonus you stack, the more true this hierarchy becomes.
*** Please see the post below concerning extensive testing regarding positional stats. With this new insight, it might be advantageous to start combat with PEN positional weapons, then after the armor has been softened up, finish with DMG positional weapons.

COMBAT MOVEMENT:
it's really nice to have and be shifty on the battle field in the middle of chaotic combats
don't prioritize it, when you can take a lighter piece of gear allowing you to stack more +flanking

ARMOR:
you want armor which stacks +flanking, which is light weight, so you can equip more of it. (Kaet's Bracer in CV1 & Strider's gear in meadowlands are fine options)
of course you want gear which adds to DMG, HIT, PEN, & Haste as well.
look for selections which give more than the standard 2 flanking. (an early quest reward like the Raven Rock Cuirass +3 flanking and an Exile Scout Helm in Redshore has +4 flanking)

WEAPONS:
Warden & Brigand - use a big 2hander + longbow for pulling or taking down longbow monsters. If you don't have a good 2hander, be certain to use your highest damaging 1hander in your main hand. You want high damage/slow weapons because you use abilities to bypass the auto-attack cool down of your weapon. Try and use abilities which have stamina efficient costs to get more mileage in forcing big swings. (As you level up, dual wielding faster weapons in your main hand becomes more viable as your offhand will trigger more frequently, so it might be a good option in fights which will likely deplete your stamina and leave you auto-attacking for extended periods of the fight)

Beserker - use a big 2hander in your first weapon selection & dual wield a fast primary weapon coupled with a slow secondary weapon in your second weapon selection. If you must pull, then equip a bow + which ever melee combo is your best.

TARGET SELECTION:
call out targets to coordinate fast take downs & communicate your CCs before you do them
CC 3-Chevs which are defender or healer roles, or striker roles if it will take you a while to prioritize them for take down
prioritize taking down 1s & 2s which are controllers (shreikers, sappers, etc..)
when all 1s & 2s are dropped prioritize 3-Chevs which are Controller >= Striker > Healer > Defender
again.. communicate all your CCs and kill targets
*** 3-Chev longbows, tanks should try their best to build aggro on these and make them a priority to take down as soon as the tank has a sufficient aggro lead; Ideally as the 2nd target take down.

WEAPON INTERACTION /w dual wield:
Positional bonuses on two weapons (dual wielding) are not additive. Positional bonuses only effect the weapon they are printed on.
Dual wielding offhand weapon delay is null, your offhand only fires as an unknown percentage chance [which increases with your level] based off your main hand swings. If you have a 2 second main hand and 5 second offhand, your offhand has a chance to swing every 2 seconds.

HASTE:
haste not only increases your auto attack speed, but also your ability spam speed.

DAGGERS w/ beserkers:
They are particularily strong on a beserker being the only 2 second delay weapon currently. You want them in your main hand and a strong axe in your offhand. Then you want to que up Follow Through + Furry and compound as much of the additive damage that you can. Don't use Wind Up for your followthru+fury, it is best used with a big two hander and ability spam. Trying to weave in windup with your followthru+fury will delay the start of your auto attack flurries and really just be a wash in damage output. Windup is definitely worth using for big twohander and longbow spam.

ALT STRIKERS:
Juggernaught is a strong DPS alternative striker, if you stack a lot of flank and enjoy their wrecking ball maul swings. They really chunk the monsters HP bars, and also enjoy an array of AoE attacks. They lack the built in threat reduction of strikers, so pulling threat is an issue, making everyone in the group lose positional bonus. The flanking gear over tanking gear, makes them an inefficient damage sink as well.

AoE group grinding:
Friggin awesome with multiple Juggs and Zerkers in the group all dropping bombs. I imagine you want 1 duelist, 1 warlord, 2 juggs, 2 zerkers. I know you might be saying why not 1 jugg and 3 zerkers, but it will be better for mitigating damage if there are two juggs bouncing more aggro. The duelist AoE heal, coupled with warlords constant heal song ticks, makes this beefy group very sustainable. Alternatively, a 1 knight, 1 jugg, 2 zerker set up works well, with the knight focus tanking 3^ mobs in the chaos.

AoE group grinding (small) - 1 Jugg + 2 Beserker +1 Warlord is ideal. There is room of course for variance. Stick to dense packs of 2^ monsters with low health, preferably with an ember rupture near for double xp chances.

Last edited:
Don't forget that an NPC's threat list is distance weighted meaning that attacking from range will make you less of a target for the same amount of damage!

Don't forget that an NPC's threat list is distance weighted meaning that attacking from range will make you less of a target for the same amount of damage!
Sorry for very late response. Is this true for distance healing as well?

Reactions: CWB
TL;DR - The actual positional bonus hierarchy is off. It should be
DMG = Pen (high armor target) > Pen (low armor target) >>> Hit

Each point of positional stat gives you the following damage increase.

Positional StatDamage Increase per stat point
DMG1%
Pen (against targets with 50% armor mitigation)1%
Pen (against targets with 30% armor mitigation)0.43%
Hit0.15%

I.E hitting a positional with 3 DMG gives you 3% more damage. Hitting a positional with 30 hit gives you ~4.5% more damage on average.

LONG VERSION
So for my testing, I found that the positional bonus hierarchy is off. Hit provides an absurdly low damage increase per point investment. For my test, I took my lvl 15 warden and auto attacked a target dummy (conned white) 1,400 total times with a longsword (expected average damage of 9). I recorded the total damage (damage dealt + damage absorbed by the dummy armor) and what the hit was (miss, glance, hit, heavy hit, or crit). The 1,400 sample size was split into 4 groups;
350 hits to the side of the dummy with only my 7 hit rating from being a lvl 15 warden,
350 hits from the front of the dummy (+30 hit positional bonus from longsword totaling +37 hit),
350 hits from the front with +15 flanking gear (+52 hit total),
and 350 hits from the front with my flanking gear, a +4 hit counterweight, and a +20 hit focus pot (+76 hit total). I reapplied the counterweight and focus potion when necessary.

The table below shows the total number of each type of hit I recorded. Each unique hit rating had a sample size of 350 hits.

Hit Type+7 Hit Rating+37 Hit Rating+52 Hit Rating+ 76 Hit Rating
Miss5 (1.4% chance)3 (0.9% chance)1 (0.3% chance)1 (0.3% chance)
Glance44 (12.6% chance)29 (8.3% chance)13 (3.7% chance)18 (5.1% chance)
Hit247 (70.6% chance)220 (62.9% chance)225 (64.3% chance)204 (58.3% chance)
Heavy46 (13.1% chance)83 (23.7% chance)88 (25.1% chance)86 (24.6% chance)
Crit8 (2.3% chance)15 (4.3% chance)23 (6.6% chance)41 (11.7% chance)

Since hit doesn't affect the damage per type of hit (glance, heavy, crit), I found the average damage per type of hit from the total sample of 1,400 hits. The chart below shows the average damage I dealt per type of hit.

Hit TypeAverage DamageDamage Modifier (compared to a regular hit)
Miss00
Glance6.760.751
Hit9.001
Heavy11.251.251
Crit13.631.515

So, using this information, I think it's reasonable to conclude that a glancing hit deals ~25% less damage, a heavy hit deals ~25% more damage, and a critical hit deals ~50% more damage than a regular hit. Knowing the damage modifier of each type of hit, and how often each type of hit occurs at 4 various hit ratings, we can calculate the expected damage you can deal at each hit rating.

Note I'm not going to use the actual average damage dealt in each 350 hit sample - I'm using only the hit type chance and the damage modifier of each hit type. This reduces the variance due to eliminating the randomness of the rolls. In other words, I don't care how high my crits rolled when I had +7 hit rating (from my complete 1,400 sample size, I already know they deal +50% damage). I only care about how many times I rolled a crit at that hit rating.

In order to calculate the expected damage you would deal at each hit rating, we take the chance of each hit type occurring, multiply by the damage dealt for that hit type, and sum all of the products. So this would be
Expected Damage = (miss chance times miss damage) + (glance chance times glance damage) + (regular hit chance times hit damage) + (heavy chance times heavy damage) + (crit chance times crit damage)
The table below summarizes the expected damage for each hit rating.

Hit Type X Hit Type Damage+7 Hit Rating+37 Hit Rating+52 Hit Rating+76 Hit Rating
Miss Chance X Miss Damage0000
Glance Chance X Glance Damage0.8500.5600.2510.348
Hit Chance x Hit Damage6.3505.6565.7845.244
Heavy Chance X Heavy Damage1.4792.6692.8302.765
Crit Chance X Crit Damage0.3120.5840.8961.597
Expected Damage8.999.479.769.95
Percent Increase Compared To +7 Hit Rating05.32%8.57%10.72%

The final row shows the juicy bit - how much extra damage you're dealing with all that extra hit rating, beyond base hit rate (in my case, +7 hit is as low as I can go). If you were to plot the bonus damage vs bonus hit rating and add a linear trendline, you'd get this.

1667281764344.png

So this shows that, based on my sample, for every point of Hit rating, I am expected to received a 0.15% damage increase.

That's really bad.

Let's compare this to penetration. Pen is so much easier to test because you just need a single big hit. Using a heavy armored target dummy (also white conned), and by slapping it as hard as you can in a single hit, you can see that with no penetration it will absorb about 50% of the damage you deal. There's rounding going on here that I think favors your damage, but I'm unsure. Using a dagger, I recorded my max hit against the dummy with;

no penetration (no gear + hitting the front),
40 penetration (35 pen hitting the pack + 5 pen gloves),
and 60 penetration (35 pen hitting the back + 5 pen gloves + 5 pen augment + 15 flanking).

The table below summarizes my findings. Note I didn't wait to get the max roll possible - I just wanted a big enough hit.

0 Penetration40 Penetration60 Penetration
Max Hit152522
Amount Absorbed on that Hit14105
% of damage Mitigated0.4830.2860.185
% of damage Dealt0.5170.7140.815
Increase Relative to No Pen11.3811.575

Against a target that had about 50% armor mitigation baseline, 40 pen gave me approximately a 40% damage increase, and 60 pen gave me approximately a 60% damage increase. Because I'm low level and my damage numbers are low, in game rounding leads to more inaccuracy. Someone who's higher level could repeat the test to make sure, but I'm fairly sure Penetration just penetrates that much percent of the enemy armor. So if you could get 100 pen, that would penetrate 100% of the targets armor. Assuming this is true, we can calculate how much damage each point of pen typically gives you.

From brief testing, it appears that most enemies have between 30% and 50% damage mitigation. With these numbers in mind, we can calculate the damage modifier from pen using the following formula:

D = New / Old
Old = 1 - R
New = 1 - R*(1-P)

Where
D is the damage modifier due to pen (the number we will compare to the other positional damage increases)
Old is the damage dealt to the target with no penetration
R is the the targets damage resistance
New is the new damage dealt to the target after penetrating their resistance
and P is penetration.

Solving the formula lead to
D = (1 - R + RP) / (1 - R)
D = 1 + (RP / (1 - R))

So, against a low armor target (30% resistance) with 1 penetration leads to the following damage increase
D = 1 + (0.3*0.01 / (1 - 0.3))
D = 1 + (0.003 / 0.7)
D = 1.00429

Meaning 1 Pen increased our damage by 0.429%. Against a target with high armor (50% resistance), that same 1 Pen increases our damage by 1%.
I haven't seen any myself, but if there are targets with more armor than 50%, penetration starts scaling exponentially. Say a target had 80% resistance due to armor. That 1 pen would lead to a 4% increase in damage. 90% resistance? 9% increase in damage. 99% resistance? 99% increase in damage. But I think armor caps out at 50%. Maybe someone who is higher level can chime in with their knowledge of higher level NPC armor mitigation.

So now we know how much damage increase each of the three positional stats give us. DMG gives us 1% damage for each point, Pen gives us 0.429% against low armor targets (30% resistance) and 1% against high armor targets (50% resistance), and Hit gives us 0.15%.

The hierarchy of stats should be DMG = Pen (high armor target) > Pen (low armor target) >>> Hit

Last edited:
Glad you did some target dummy testing I didn't want to do :)

I will update the hierarchy.

I'd like to add that PEN gives diminishing return on investment as the fight goes on. The monsters have abalative armor. Each hit destroys armor, and some abilities destroy a ton of their armor. The dummies armor value remains static while testing, and doesnt demonstrate this.

Its definitely not a junk stat, but I would only try and fit it into your build once you have all the flanking you can get from light weight flank gear. Then as you can accommodate it with your armor weight growing with level try and fit in the assassin shoulders, defiler mask, etc...

Also, I feel you are not capturing the full weight of HIT, because it will turn a lot of your misses and glances into heavies and crits. I feel that measuring the full weight of its effects can be elusive.

Currently using main hand backbiter dagger +40 PEN (5 coming from the named daggers inherit statline), and taming meadowlands questline reward axe off hand +5 DMG, and stacking +26 flanking. +14hit +15pen +6haste, +14 1hand damage, drinking kings pots like koolaid adding another +4 to everything, and I am shredding monsters. With the beserker chassis follow through + fury combo, all the additive damage is insane. If the dagger gave me +5 damage positional instead of +35 pen, I would be doing even better I believe. It's just the 2 second delay is too strong to pass up, main a 4delay axe, or 3 delay short sword, you will see good numbers, but the daggers 2 seconds is so good. When the curved sword was 2sec delay with +30 hit, I was seeing even better, and able to fit more monsters into my AoE swings, but my group is helping me bunch up monsters for more AoE these days.

Serious single target zerks are pidgeonheld to daggers right now, but it's still very strong. I just look forward to a named item coming along with pos dmg and 2sec delay some day.

Last edited:
Yeah, PEN definitely loses value in a lot of instances of group play. Supports with assailing strike, and wardens having their own armor damaging skill can lead to a lot of enemy armor damage in the course of a fight.

I haven't done, and definitely don't want to do, any testing on how PEN interacts with damaged armor. It could be additive or multiplicative with PEN. For example, if an enemy with 30% armor mitigation and loses 25% of their armor's durability, it could either mean that all attacks bypass an additional 25% of the armor (essentially adding +25 PEN to each hit), or the initial 30% armor mitigation reduced to 22.5% armor mitigation (30% x 75%). I think it would make more sense if it was multiplicative, but I'm unsure. The testing needed to show this would be pretty difficult and time consuming to do.

If it was additive, however, then theoretically there would be no diminishing returns at all until the combination of your PEN plus the armor damage bonus bypasses the remaining armor completely. So in the above example and with +50 PEN and hitting for 100 damage each hit, your initial damage would be 70, followed by +15 damage from your PEN, followed by +7.5 damage from their armor damage for a total of 92.5 damage. Once the target reaches 50% armor damage, that same hit would deal 70 (before mitigation) + 15 (due to PEN) + 15 (due to armor damage) = the full 100 damage.
After which, you would completely lose out on all the extra damage via destroyed armor. So in this example, you're not losing value on your PEN until the target goes beyond 50% armor damage. But if PEN was multiplicative with enemy armor damage, then every single hit after the first hit would suffer some diminished return, getting more severe as the fight went on. I'd be interested to see how armor damage stacks with PEN.

But either way, even if PEN was additive or multiplicative with enemy destroyed armor, it would still be a greater benefit to spread out your stats instead of dumping into a single stat, if possible. That's because PEN, DMG, and HIT are all multiplicative to one another. Gaining a 20% damage multiplier from PEN (like having 20 PEN vs a target with 50% resistance), and having 20% stronger hits due to your DMG stat would lead to an effective multiplier of 44% instead of 40%. This would eventually make HIT a worthwhile stat to invest in, assuming you already had a lot of PEN and DMG stat boosts.

But as for HIT, I feel like the sample size in my initial was sufficiently large enough to capture the its full weight. The only variable HIT controls is how often you get the good hits, like heavies and crits, at the expense of bad hits, like glances and misses. So collecting data on the hit type distribution changes as one increases hit rating accurately measures the single variable HIT controls.

Even just looking at the data with no graph, we can see a huge change in portion of good hits vs bad hits as HIT increases. At my lowest hit rating of +7, the chances of getting a good hit and bad hit were almost the same (about 15.4% chance for a good hit and 14% chance for a bad hit). But at the highest HIT rating, those odds were massively skewed in favor of good hits (36.3% chance for a good hit and 5.4% chance for a bad hit). We can see even a lot of the regular hits got upgraded to good hits as HIT rating increases (starting with 70.6% at baseline HIT rating and ending at 58.3% with +76 HIT).

So the sample size shows a clear and significant change in how bad hits become good hits as HIT rating increases. Unfortunately for HIT as a stat, this large increase in chance to land a good hit is dwarfed by the low bonus damage you deal on each good hit. If, for example, heavy hits and critical hits were to get buffed to deal +50% and +100% damage, respectively, that would pretty significantly increase the value of HIT. If this buff were to be applied to my 1,400 auto attack sample, that would increase the value of HIT from 0.15% to 0.24% per point, or about a 60% increase in value.

It still wouldn't be as good as the other stats, but we can at least see how easily it is to change how important HIT becomes with small tweaks. But maybe HIT was never supposed to be as good as the other stats to begin with. When you see HIT as a positional bonus on a weapon, it's typically much larger numerically than other bonuses from different stats. The only exception I can think of are daggers, with +35 PEN from behind. So builds that don't have tons of +flanking will still get a modest increase from having a higher amount of baseline HIT from positionals.

Another reason why HIT might be gimped by design is because HIT is one of the only frontal positional bonuses a Striker can get. If they made HIT too strong, solo Strikers would be running rampant with longswords evaporating everything with crits. By locking the better stats to the side and back positionals, it encourages strikers to group up instead of soloing.

I'd be interested to see what the devs do with stat weight and weapon balance as times goes on. It would be pretty funny if the zerker dagger meta stays around for much longer.

Last edited:
I believe hit helps offset the level differential of yellow/red monsters. Hard to test it diagnostically vs. White target dummies. Would be nice to have yellow, red, and blue dummies as well.

I agree there are problems with high hit, I feel it should have 1/2 hit value, augment a greater percentage bonus to crits and heavies. I think this would be a more elegant solution, than adding a bonus crit damage stat to gear.

Last edited:
I'd be interested to see what the devs do with stat weight and weapon balance as times goes on. It would be pretty funny if the
It's been nerfed already in the past. I'm not certain it's a meta, but its effective. There are comparable alternatives, especially with the reach of two handers, weighing in on AoE attacks. I typically use greataxes for AoE, but there might be some merit to great swords, since they have less picky positional additives to enjoy in the chaos.

I have a strong suspicion the dummies do not have representative evade/glance of actual mobs. So the point that hit negates negative and replaces with better connections probably makes it a lot better than the dummy calc shows.

I have a strong suspicion the dummies do not have representative evade/glance of actual mobs. So the point that hit negates negative and replaces with better connections probably makes it a lot better than the dummy calc shows.
I agree, because when curved swords were 2delay, I was seeming to do atleast comparable dps to mainhand dagger. Really need the devs to make a variety of dummies, with a lot of information about them when you mouse over them or an adjacent sign. Would love to have a cluster of ^^ dummies as well.

disclaimer.. this is all my opinion and a lot of guess work.. this is also given from a party based DPS perspective, and assuming you are 14+, and wanting to min/max. You can still do great DPS not using this advice!

In the current dynamic...

THREAT:
don't rip threat, try and DPS from the rear position, because the striking class has -threat built in from the rear.
try and do a few DPS abilities early, then wipe the threat from them with fading strike.
turn off attack if you rip threat and the monster is still not in a health range that you can quickly burst them down or you cannot fading strike out of the threat lead.
If you like to DPS with a bow, you also will generate less threat from range, but dont rip aggro from your tank. No one will like chasing after a monster running to you.
Since I'm usually pulling with my longbow, and naturally having the initial threat, I like to lead with Fading Strike after I see the tank use a taunt. Key here, for me, is to just wait that extra one to three seconds and then use Fading followed by Hidden Strike. It is rare that I "re-pull" the aggro and it really has to do with Strikers (and others) paying attention to the animation of the tank's taunt and giving a count of two before dropping the DPS on the target.

As a side note - when pulling with the longbow to your party, it's beneficial to remain in combat with your bow and keep kiting backwards until your target is acquired by the tank. You will be trading shots for a few seconds initially (this is Fading Strike time) but it's a good habit to pull the target all of the way to your party instead of forcing them to move up and potentially get adds.

Props to Blyte and Fistingus. Nice work!

But either way, even if PEN was additive or multiplicative with enemy destroyed armor, it would still be a greater benefit to spread out your stats instead of dumping into a single stat, if possible. That's because PEN, DMG, and HIT are all multiplicative to one another. Gaining a 20% damage multiplier from PEN (like having 20 PEN vs a target with 50% resistance), and having 20% stronger hits due to your DMG stat would lead to an effective multiplier of 44% instead of 40%. This would eventually make HIT a worthwhile stat to invest in, assuming you already had a lot of PEN and DMG stat boosts.
Thank you for doing this testing.
I might be missing it, but I'm unsure as to how it is determined that they are multiplicative with each other.
Each test seemed univariable.
I might not have the math idea right, but couldn't each be based solely off of the weapon die roll+damage bonus (2d7+5 or whatever), and then all added at the end?

Code:
weapon=2d7+5
dmg=weapon*DMG*.01
pen=weapon*PEN*.0043 (just picked the 30% for conservative calculation)
hit=weapon*HIT*.0015
Final Value = weapon+dmg+pen+hit

-Kragar/Machin/Jiosh

Thank you for doing this testing.
I might be missing it, but I'm unsure as to how it is determined that they are multiplicative with each other.
Each test seemed univariable.
I might not have the math idea right, but couldn't each be based solely off of the weapon die roll+damage bonus (2d7+5 or whatever), and then all added at the end?

Code:
weapon=2d7+5
dmg=weapon*DMG*.01
pen=weapon*PEN*.0043 (just picked the 30% for conservative calculation)
hit=weapon*HIT*.0015
Final Value = weapon+dmg+pen+hit

-Kragar/Machin/Jiosh
Each stat individually acts as a total damage multiplier, stacking additively with itself and multiplicatively with the others. Let's look at extreme examples to highlight how the stats interact with themselves and each other.

Let's say you do 100 average damage each hit against an enemy that has 30% armor mitigation. With no HIT or PEN, going from 0 > 100 > 200 points in DMG would cause you to deal 70 > 140 > 210 total damage to that enemy. That's because we know that the DMG stat increases base damage by 1% each point. It's essentially adding 1% of your base damage to each hit. It's important to note that "base damage" includes any other damage modifiers from the other stats. In this example with no HIT or PEN, your "base damage" is 70.

But let's say you have 100 HIT and 100 PEN. You're landing way more Heavy Hits and Critical Hits, and all those hits are completely penetrating the target's armor. Going from 0 > 100 > 200 points in DMG would cause you to deal (on average) 115 > 230 > 345 total damage. The 100 PEN takes your original damage of 70 and multiplies it by 1.43 (which makes it 100 damage, as you would expect), and your 100 HIT takes that number and multiplies it by 1.15, due to the increased odds of getting Heavy or Critical Hits. That makes your new "base damage" 115, which then gets doubled / tripled at 100 / 200 points in DMG, respectively.

It's important to note that the stats are additive boosts with themselves. 100 points in DMG will deal 100% more damage than 0 points in DMG, but 200 points in DMG only deals 50% more damage than 100 points in DMG. This is because each point of DMG simply adds 1% of your base damage to each hit. This constant 1% additive increase becomes less impactful when you already have a bunch of points in your DMG stat. The concept is the same with PEN and HIT. There may even come a point where you have so many points in DMG and PEN already that 1 more point in HIT might be more impactful than 1 more point in DMG or PEN. Unfortunately, I only calculated stat scaling and not stat weights. Calculating stat weights requires a bit more effort because it constantly changes based on your current stats.

If you wanted a formula to calculate actual average damage dealt, it would be a little more involved than adding your stat boosts.

Weapon = 2d7 + 5 = average of 13 damage
Dmg = 0.01 * (# of points in DMG stat)
Hit = 0.0015 * (# of points in HIT stat)
Armor = Enemy armor mitigation
Pen = (# of points in PEN stat)/100

Final Average Damage Dealt = Weapon * (1 + Dmg) * (1 + Hit) * [1 - Armor * (1 - Pen)]

So, using the weapon above with 100 DMG, 100 PEN, and 100 HIT against a target with 30% armor mitigation would be:

Final Average Damage Dealt = 13 * (1 + 0.01*100) * (1 + 0.0015*100) * [1 - 0.3 * (1 - (100/100))]
= 13 * (1+1) * (1+0.15) * [1 - 0.3 * 0]
= 13 * (2) * (1.15) * [1]
= 29.9

Reactions: Pel
That's the formula I have in my spreadsheet, but I was doubting the math the more I thought about it.
Then I went down this additive road in my head.
Thanks.

Back