What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Feedback about an unfinished game

Hachlathis

I played a lot of mmos, ancient ones
I have been a beta tester of mmos.

This is my feedback : it's not a game yet, maybe a technical demo.
A lot of work to do before lauching the game. no storyline nothing, but fighting against dangerous rabbits, a lot of empty areas but 1/2 boars around a farm.

I suggest to Stormhaven to take all time needed for this project before the release.
i played a lot swg and vanguard but it's the 1rst time a full group is needed for killing ONE bat.
good luck with your project.

Last edited:
you described only the 1st area, this game is not for everyone bla bla bla. bye. and good luck.
Well of course the game won’t be for everyone. I was just curious if you got to explore beyond the first little bit of the game. You may need a group to see some of the other content if you are still lower level. I would suggest joining a group and venturing into the central veins dungeon. Give crafting a go to, you can make some decent gear even at lower level.

Thank you very much for taking the time to test our game and to give your feedback. It is appreciated!

Well of course the game won’t be for everyone. I was just curious if you got to explore beyond the first little bit of the game. You may need a group to see some of the other content if you are still lower level. I would suggest joining a group and venturing into the central veins dungeon. Give crafting a go to, you can make some decent gear even at lower level.
seems he did not understand how Mobs having Chevrons to indicate their strength and level and Combat starts to shine in groups when you attack that yellow 3 chevron hare :D
Sure i see people dont expect a rat or hare beeing that strong, but if you have played Vanguard, because iirc it had a similar system. you know this is good for people who like to group and not solo an MMO 90% of the time.
To get what the game is about and not write what OP wrote you need at least 2-3 hours and a group for sure, only then combat reveals why it is slow and why some Mobs are made this way.
I still not an expert about this game, but i gave it some more time to reveal the beauty of it.
It#s not for everyone is correct for everything. Even WoW what is the most successfull or UO what is the longest played MMO is not for everyone.

All i know and i've read about the game, all i played myself until says the game is for me :D

I played a lot of mmos, ancient ones
I have been a beta tester of mmos.

This is my feedback : it's not a game yet, maybe a technical demo.
A lot of work to do before lauching the game. no storyline nothing, but fighting against dangerous rabbits, a lot of empty areas but 1/2 boars around a farm.

I suggest to Stormhaven to take all time needed for this project before the release.
i played a lot swg and vanguard but it's the 1rst time a full group is needed for killing ONE bat.
good luck with your project.
You have a point, not sure about the tone of the post though.

Release is slated for this year which leaves 3 months if you include Christmas. At the moment there is a good base here and it is more than just a tech demo imho, but the game doesn't feel as though it is retaining enough players after the free weekends. 3 months is no time really in development terms.

You have a point, not sure about the tone of the post though.

Release is slated for this year which leaves 3 months if you include Christmas. At the moment there is a good base here and it is more than just a tech demo imho, but the game doesn't feel as though it is retaining enough players after the free weekends. 3 months is no time really in development terms.
As far as the tone, I hope OP gets some honest, serious counseling. We're all going through something; some more than others.

You know, I had this friend when I was younger who had an interesting perspective on quality items. If he saw a quality product that wasn't in a perfect state then it literally wasn't "real" to him. As an example, we drove by a Ford Mustang Saleen and he decided to pipe-up to say that it wasn't genuine. I asked him why and he said it wasn't real because it needed to be washed. In reality, I knew it was a real Mustang Saleen, but he definitely would NOT agree. We agreed to disagree and then we both laughed at each other from our own little islands of reality.

So, while the perspective shared by OP may feel real, and I respect their experiences (even if not their delivery), the truth for me personally is that EA is in no way a technical demo. We were given the opportunity to support the game and join beta, so we did and we should try to supply helpful feedback. I've done my best, so far, for this and many other MMORPGs for a solid 20 years. This game is better off in its current state than many others - some of which had AAA funding/backing...and still weren't nearly as polished. That's just my opinion.

I remember falling through the world constantly in Vanguard. I remember the /rope command because people were getting stuck in the world A LOT. Remember the Inquisitor and Berzerker classes? Me too, they never made it. I remember playing EQ2 at release and there were dungeons that were just 100% broken. I could go on-and-on.

To me, EA is ahead of the game going into release. Many of us are pushing mostly "first-world problems" on the EA dev team, and I still think that's a pretty good place to be at this stage of the game.

As far as the tone, I hope OP gets some honest, serious counseling. We're all going through something; some more than others.

You know, I had this friend when I was younger who had an interesting perspective on quality items. If he saw a quality product that wasn't in a perfect state then it literally wasn't "real" to him. As an example, we drove by a Ford Mustang Saleen and he decided to pipe-up to say that it wasn't genuine. I asked him why and he said it wasn't real because it needed to be washed. In reality, I knew it was a real Mustang Saleen, but he definitely would NOT agree. We agreed to disagree and then we both laughed at each other from our own little islands of reality.

So, while the perspective shared by OP may feel real, and I respect their experiences (even if not their delivery), the truth for me personally is that EA is in no way a technical demo. We were given the opportunity to support the game and join beta, so we did and we should try to supply helpful feedback. I've done my best, so far, for this and many other MMORPGs for a solid 20 years. This game is better off in its current state than many others - some of which had AAA funding/backing...and still weren't nearly as polished. That's just my opinion.

I remember falling through the world constantly in Vanguard. I remember the /rope command because people were getting stuck in the world A LOT. Remember the Inquisitor and Berzerker classes? Me too, they never made it. I remember playing EQ2 at release and there were dungeons that were just 100% broken. I could go on-and-on.

To me, EA is ahead of the game going into release. Many of us are pushing mostly "first-world problems" on the EA dev team, and I still think that's a pretty good place to be at this stage of the game.
I think the game has a good foundation, but it feels more than 3 months away from release.

There are some solid blocks to build on like the combat pacing and strategy. I don't feel this is as great as some do and feel it still needs work but the group combat is a strength. It's no classic EQ but then nothing is really.

The world is large but vast expanses of it feel empty. I think maybe it is almost too big for the population. Maybe some performance could be gained by shrinking them a bit.

Recent changes like the light and heavy weaponsmith feel odd. That is a separation just for the sake of increasing the amount of crafting skills than any logic. The crafting system particularly now seems heavily reliant on a certain number of consistent players.

3 months from release and with the current population (I don't feel "it's in beta" is an excuse here) it doesn't feel ready at all. There still seems to be a lot of systems to go in and test and 3 months will go by in a flash. That 3 months also includes the Christmas period. I hope they get there but would rather more time was taken not only with development but also marketing when the game is closer to release.

I think the game has a good foundation, but it feels more than 3 months away from release.
I can understand the way you feel. I think someone once told me that if you wait for a game to be perfect, before release, then no game will ever be released...because no game can ever truly be perfect to everyone. Your perspective is important though and it may be that you need more before you'll call a game "good enough" for release. There's a lot still incoming on the roadmap.

There are some solid blocks to build on like the combat pacing and strategy. I don't feel this is as great as some do and feel it still needs work but the group combat is a strength. It's no classic EQ but then nothing is really.
I don't know if EQ was really as good as its players remember upon release. My wife seemed to remember a lot of strife (I didn't play). I'll bet the horrors were worse than EA is today. Again, a lot of growth planned. I remember hearing (and saying) that New World had good bones...too bad that's all it seems to have gotten! I don't feel the same, here in Embers - quite the opposite.

The world is large but vast expanses of it feel empty. I think maybe it is almost too big for the population. Maybe some performance could be gained by shrinking them a bit.
Okay, so I love this part. When all "open" areas are trimmed and there's nowhere to just rest/explore or "take in" the world between dense, purposeful areas...then it's just a playpen. I couldn't stand Rift for this - or WoW, really. Give me large open, empty space to roam between - make me feel like the world is real.

Recent changes like the light and heavy weaponsmith feel odd. That is a separation just for the sake of increasing the amount of crafting skills than any logic. The crafting system particularly now seems heavily reliant on a certain number of consistent players.
Agreed. The divided weaponsmithing crafting professions issue is on my short list of things I'd change, stat. I will say that the crafting changes made do reflect more...accuracy? Maybe I just like them, or they just "feel" right, even if we're all now even more dependent on others than previous builds (which I think is FULLY intended). I'll also say this: The team made MANY adjustments to their original plans for crafting to reflect what the community wanted. They are listening and modifying with us.

3 months from release and with the current population (I don't feel "it's in beta" is an excuse here) it doesn't feel ready at all. There still seems to be a lot of systems to go in and test and 3 months will go by in a flash. That 3 months also includes the Christmas period. I hope they get there but would rather more time was taken not only with development but also marketing when the game is closer to release.
I think there are "complete" pieces waiting in the wing for release - at least that's the impression that I get. Still, I respect your point of view here and it may not be ready for you in it's current state. That said, it truly IS in beta right now, so I think the level of forgiveness we have for now (population, current offering, etc.) is in-bounds. True, 3 month will fly by, but I'm still excited for release even as-is and I think most of us are level-set on expectations. I think their focus on the game, and not marketing, fits their current workload and strategy right now, but I get it - I'm sure we'd all love a AAA budget/investment for them hire a marketing firm.

Perhaps you have friends who game at this level, board-brought-3D-MMO-esque games with challenging group content? Perhaps see if they like the idea of a game that they could help contribute to and "be heard" by the development team (often, directly)? I know I've shared it out simply because, for what it is in beta, both my wife and I can't wait for the servers to come online each weekend (and Wednesday, when we can fit it in).

Again, great input, thanks for sharing with us fellow gamers.

Last edited:
I can understand the way you feel. I think someone once told me that if you wait for a game to be perfect, before release, then no game will ever be released...because no game can ever truly be perfect to everyone. Your perspective is important though and it may be that you need more before you'll call a game "good enough" for release. There's a lot still incoming on the roadmap.
I don't think anyone ever expects a game to be perfect, but there is certainly a point where the majority would say it is ready. It's slightly subjective but I think there is `ready enough` objectively for most people.

I don't know if EQ was really as good as it's players remember upon release. My wife seemed to remember a lot of strife (I didn't play). I'll be the horrors were worse than EA is today. Again, a lot of growth planned. I remember hearing (and saying) that New World had good bones...too bad that's all it seems to have gotten! I don't feel the same, here in Embers - quite the opposite.
I still play classic EQ up until Velious on the Project 1999 server. It is still the MMO to judge all others by imho. As a comparison EA has the slow paced, thoughtful combat of classic EQ but it is missing pretty much everything surrounding it. A lot of this may be called fluff but some of that fluff is important.

Okay, so I love this part. When all "open" areas are trimmed and there's nowhere to just rest/explore or "take in" the world between dense, purposeful areas...then it's just a playpen. I couldn't stand Rift for this - or WoW, really. Give me large open, empty space to roam between - make me feel like the world is real.
I am a big fan of large open world games and this certainly has the open world. A big open world with large swathes of nothing though I can pass on. Some of the zones, especially ML and RF have lots of running and little to discover. Exploration and discovery is more than just space.

I think there are "complete" pieces waiting in the wing for release - at least that's the impression that I get. Still, I respect your point of view here and it may not be ready for you in it's current state. That said, it truly IS in beta right now, so I think the level of forgiveness we have for now (population, current offering, etc.) is in-bounds. True, 3 month will fly by, but I'm still excited for release even as-is and I think most of us are level-set on expectations. I think their focus on the game, and not marketing, fits their current workload and strategy right now, but I get it - I'm sure we'd all love a AAA budget/investment for them hire a marketing firm.
The devs have stated that they have content waiting in the wings but even so 3 months, including over a Christmas period, is scant time for this to be tested. I speak as someone with some QA/testing experience. There is stuff that has been in the game for a while that is still being tweaked. It is the way of MMO's to be always in tweaking mode, to a point.

Perhaps you have friends who game at this level, board-brought-3D-MMO-esque games with challenging group content? Perhaps see if they like the idea of a game that they could help contribute to and "be heard" by the development team (often, directly)? I know I've shared it out simply because, for what it is in beta, both my wife and I can't wait for the servers to come online each weekend (and Wednesday, when we can fit it in).
I've shared it out in the form of a Youtube channel and have been playing the game for a fair bit. I have spoken to some veterans from way back when the game was something else entirely. From the vets I have spoken to and the general feedback from videos from non-players and players that tried the game it is mostly the same. The game has good bones but is missing much of the meat. The team seem pretty adamant that the game will have a 2022 release so let's see and keep everything crossed.

I don't think anyone ever expects a game to be perfect, but there is certainly a point where the majority would say it is ready. It's slightly subjective but I think there is `ready enough` objectively for most people.
The concept of "ready enough" is still, in and of itself, still a subjective concept. I get your meaning, boundaries could be laid and, depending on who came together to lay them down, some games might fall out of range. If said standard was measured against Embers then it would likely just fall where every other title (single-dev or AAA) does these days. We need an open standard!

I still play classic EQ up until Velious on the Project 1999 server. It is still the MMO to judge all others by imho. As a comparison EA has the slow paced, thoughtful combat of classic EQ but it is missing pretty much everything surrounding it. A lot of this may be called fluff but some of that fluff is important.
Asheron's Call is the game through which other games should be measured, but I completely forgive your mistake in saying that somehow the far more popular and loved game, EQ, holds this spot. Joking aside, what you're referring to as fluff is really just your nice way of saying "content", just my interpretation. I'd argue that it's not just important, it's critical. I'm with you.

I am a big fan of large open world games and this certainly has the open world. A big open world with large swathes of nothing though I can pass on. Some of the zones, especially ML and RF have lots of running and little to discover. Exploration and discovery is more than just space.
Again, these open areas probably get cut from games for the way you (and many others) feel about them. I long for open spaces that simply bear one purpose, to serve as a place to travel, to breath, to camp, maybe hunt/fish/farm...but to be drowning in lore every 15ft makes me want to run away. To be fair, I'm a little claustrophobic, so maybe I'm inflecting - forgive me.

The devs have stated that they have content waiting in the wings but even so 3 months, including over a Christmas period, is scant time for this to be tested. I speak as someone with some QA/testing experience. There is stuff that has been in the game for a while that is still being tweaked. It is the way of MMO's to be always in tweaking mode, to a point.
Fair. You have a point. I guess we just have to hope for the best; have a little faith that 3 months to flesh out what's already here, and what will be, will be enough to knock out a quality launch.

I've shared it out in the form of a Youtube channel and have been playing the game for a fair bit. I have spoken to some veterans from way back when the game was something else entirely. From the vets I have spoken to and the general feedback from videos from non-players and players that tried the game it is mostly the same. The game has good bones but is missing much of the meat. The team seem pretty adamant that the game will have a 2022 release so let's see and keep everything crossed.
I'm sure the extra publicity is helpful, the game could use a little more community exposure. As with anything, the more support, the more progress. We will see, indeed.

Again, these open areas probably get cut from games for the way you (and many others) feel about them. I long for open spaces that simply bear one purpose, to serve as a place to travel, to breath, to camp, maybe hunt/fish/farm...but to be drowning in lore every 15ft makes me want to run away. To be fair, I'm a little claustrophobic, so maybe I'm inflecting - forgive me.
Just wanted to pick this out and say I am totally with you but, MMO's (even single players RPG's) don't currently give us this level of roleplaying immersion weirdly, maybe outside of Wurm Online? Even if you really use your imagination.

Honestly if an MMO let me pick a lonely part of a vast world and I could go there and make a camp, fish and cook and play at an adventurer surviving in the big open world, I'd be there in a shot. In this and all games though, you reach that open space, and you can do none of this. Maybe New World if I am being very generous. You can make a camp near a river and fish and cook. New World makes that mistake (a bit like EA is doing) of overcomplication though. The fish recipes need this and that and whatever instead of just being able to throw some fish and an herb on the fire.

It'd be awesome if I could pick a spot in Meadowlands or RF and make a fire, hunt some game, do some fishing, make some new arrows, sharpen my sword, patch my armour while the sun goes down. Actually, that's where a really dark night mechanic would come into its own. If you could set up camp before sundown and your camp gave you lots of options to do things during the night to keep you busy. Would maybe need to shorten the current night-time though. Only so much you can do at camp without sleeping to speed up time.

We seem to have debates about whether we should be able to run faster, or fast travel, or be a self-sufficient crafter when I long for the day that where RPG's actually get the RPG side of things right. :)

Just wanted to pick this out and say I am totally with you but, MMO's (even single players RPG's) don't currently give us this level of roleplaying immersion weirdly, maybe outside of Wurm Online? Even if you really use your imagination.

Honestly if an MMO let me pick a lonely part of a vast world and I could go there and make a camp, fish and cook and play at an adventurer surviving in the big open world, I'd be there in a shot. In this and all games though, you reach that open space, and you can do none of this. Maybe New World if I am being very generous. You can make a camp near a river and fish and cook. New World makes that mistake (a bit like EA is doing) of overcomplication though. The fish recipes need this and that and whatever instead of just being able to throw some fish and an herb on the fire.

It'd be awesome if I could pick a spot in Meadowlands or RF and make a fire, hunt some game, do some fishing, make some new arrows, sharpen my sword, patch my armour while the sun goes down. Actually, that's where a really dark night mechanic would come into its own. If you could set up camp before sundown and your camp gave you lots of options to do things during the night to keep you busy. Would maybe need to shorten the current night-time though. Only so much you can do at camp without sleeping to speed up time.

We seem to have debates about whether we should be able to run faster, or fast travel, or be a self-sufficient crafter when I long for the day that where RPG's actually get the RPG side of things right. :)
AMAZING idea for setting up a camp at night that you can do some basic crafting such as simple cooking, make basic ammo etc. The bolts and arrows you make at camp, would only need materials you can directly gather such as wood and flax plants. That ammo could be better than starter ammo, but not as good as vendor bought ammo. And the campfire you have at your camp, should give a some type of basic buff for say maybe mild HP/STAM regen, but not as strong as the buffs from the normally crafted deer leaf tea and normally crafted cooked meat. The difference would be the longer you sit at the campfire in your camp, the more the duration of this "camp buff" would build up, to maybe a 1 or 2 hour total duration if you sat there for a bit.

One last thing on lighting but off topic a bit.
We need to be able to choose to hold a torch in our off hand with a one hand weapon in our main hand, as well as being able to sit for stamina regen(constantly out of stamina in groups) and hold a torch/lantern while we sit. The light output of a torch/lantern while sitting would be reduced vs standing though. Its just completely illogical that once in "torch mode" all we can do is stand and provide light and nothing else useful because our other arm magically becomes disabled.

Back