What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

New user impressions and feedback

Dixi

Feedback as a new user:
Game visuals are not bad, typical level for an indie game.
Game client performance - works well, noting to complain about.
Gameplay and progression. Too slow and very boring. Typical Koran progression, when one gain about 10-20 levels in half hour to have reasonable amount of abilities, and only after that leveling slows down is much better.
I played to level 2 and a bit more, as a tank in a party of 5 man. Took me more then a hour, I think closer to two hours. Until something seriously reworked and improved not going to waste any more time on such slow grind.

Update:
It could be nice to see something different, some innovations, in game mechanics.

For sample, make damage auto attack based, and player combat abilities only to counter some nasty mob abilities, to change positioning, to control aggro, to apply short time buffs & debuffs. I.e. all those abilties should be pressed in right time and in right position. Not in rotation, neither as soon as they out of cooldown. This way this game will not turn into typical mmorpg keyboard mashing.

Making just slow paced game, with same EQ style abilities will lead to another attempt to make EQ/WoW clone, that usually fail due to not enough funding, to make nice modern graphics and enough content.

Last edited:
Feedback as a new user:
Nice feedback Dixi. I think the pace of the game they currently have is what they are aiming for. It's deff a slower paced game and that is part of the design. There are a thousand other games that throw levels at your for doing nothing, it's a nice change that this game wants you to earn it.

Okay, you can make leveling slow, I do not mind, but it should not be boring.

You can make auto attack much better source of damage (like in EVE online, where you do not have to mash buttons to do damage). To make it less boring, make mobs aggro and partly social. In this case, a party can kill mobs at much better speed, but will have to looks around and plan actions, positioning.

Or you can do it typical way, that unfortunately leads to button mashing - give more abilities at level 1.

There are also other ways. Main goal - the game should not be too monotonous and boring, as it currently feels at level 1-2.

We apprediate all feedback and every feedback is precious.
Thank you for sharing your opinion about the game and your first experience. Details, explanations and constructive feedback are what we are looking for.

You can make auto attack much better source of damage (like in EVE online, where you do not have to mash buttons to do damage). To make it less boring, make mobs aggro and partly social. In this case, a party can kill mobs at much better speed, but will have to looks around and plan actions, positioning.

Or you can do it typical way, that unfortunately leads to button mashing - give more abilities at level 1.

There are also other ways. Main goal - the game should not be too monotonous and boring, as it currently feels at level 1-2.
Were you able to reach humanoid mobs or larger fights in the caves? They can get complex and difficult quickly. The first couple levels of any game are meant to be slower so the player learns the systems etc.

Were you able to reach humanoid mobs or larger fights in the caves? They can get complex and difficult quickly. The first couple levels of any game are meant to be slower so the player learns the systems etc.
We found thieves in fields. Did not managed to get to caves, since everyone got bored and logout using different excuses.
Those "couples of levels" should last less then half hour. It's quite easy to learn to press 3 buttons, and will take less then 10 minutes even for someone completely new to mmorpg.

As I said above, problem, that I see now, is not "something too easy or too complex" deeper in the game. Nearest problem I can predict is that players will leave at typical 2hours Steam refund, because they will see very boring game at start.

Completely agree. Again...good feedback. One thing though, you're asking for more auto attack so you can mash less buttons, but then say give more abilities at level one, so you have more buttons to mash?

As I wrote in *update* in 1st post, it's possible to design abilities that works differently, and can not be used in way of "button mashing".

For sample, most of abilities are short time buffs: "shouts", that last for 20-30-40 seconds and gives good bonuses, like increase attack damage, or hit rate for a lot, maybe twice. Cleric shouts gives good damage reduction. Those "shouts" either have long cooldowns, or have a few charges (numbers of possible activations), that are refilled only out of combat (if such state exist in the game).

I can explain such design more in details, but it's not a first time, that I write a good technical sketch, how it could be done, and no one cares. Because a lot of project managers believes, that it's much better to make a new game with different lore settings, different art, completely uncomfortable new interface (hello New World), but keep existing combat game mechanics from very popular titles, like WoW and zillion of it's clones.

HI! This thread has the perfect title! Can I tack my feedback on here? Thanks. I will. :p I couldn't play enough to really evaluate much in depth but I did do the newbie experience so...

-The interface? Nice! Logical and movable. I didn't mess with chat enough to know if it meets my preferred level of customization but it looked okay (Dixi above mentioned New World. Yeah, don't do that, especially with chat!). The spelling on everything I saw is refreshingly better than the MMO standard and started me off with a good impression. (Is that weird?)

-Performance? The game loaded nice and fast. My character traveled smoothly. I could not see my character's movements because it was dark. I have no idea.

-Visuals? I don't know how the game looks, aside from two minutes I was able to log in during the day. I don't know what the critters look like. The majority of the time I was logged in, it was dark and it stayed dark.

-Combat? In the dark as a total clueless newbie, combat was just watching names, numbers, and messages of not facing my target. If I had seen more blood or gore or knew if what I was fighting was the size of a squirrel or a Volvo, combat might have been more interesting. I didn't get far. I didn't group. I like to figure out the basics by fighting a bunny before subjecting others to my incompetence.

-Character creator? It's alright but the darn heads scale poorly with body size. (My priorities could be off.) Luckily, once I got in the game it didn't matter. Dark.

-World? I couldn't see it. It's certainly not realistic to go exploring at night, but I'm not sure I'd want to explore in the daytime if night is sure to follow unless I had friends--and I actually think that's a good design. Anyway I'm sure it's lovely but I missed daytime.

In conclusion, my main first impression was all about night. It's a bad newbie experience and I imagine it would scare some players away. Getting accustomed to a new game in the darkness is kind of awful and if your timing is unfortunate like mine was, you're gonna be in the dark. I'm sure once one knows what one's doing, one will find the darkness intriguing, but perhaps it wouldn't kill the effect to fill the newbie area with lanterns? Artificially make it just not quite as black as the rest of the world? I like the concept of night--just not right away! Let me learn what I'm doing before immersing me in inky blackness.

Anyway, looks good! I was happy to check it out (but couldn't put in as much time as I would have liked or was probably needed to test server capacity). I retain my optimism. :)

In conclusion, my main first impression was all about night. It's a bad newbie experience and I imagine it would scare some players away. Getting accustomed to a new game in the darkness is kind of awful and if your timing is unfortunate like mine was, you're gonna be in the dark. I'm sure once one knows what one's doing, one will find the darkness intriguing, but perhaps it wouldn't kill the effect to fill the newbie area with lanterns? Artificially make it just not quite as black as the rest of the world? I like the concept of night--just not right away! Let me learn what I'm doing before immersing me in inky blackness.
I think they have said they are going to do some work with how dark it is outside at night. But you are right...pretty big turn off for a player if all they experience for the first 45 mins (that's how long nights are) is a black screen with highlighted UI elements.

...and yet I do think night should be relevant and important and scary and inconvenient. My level one self just wasn't ready for it. :)

And I was a little disappointed that I couldn't explore the area in the time I had.

I do not like darkness in any games. I think it's just bad for my eyes. Darkness should be present like a little tint, and not so that nothing can be seen.

I fully agree with the OP, I would highly suggest make the leveling faster for the first few levels as only having 1 skill and waiting for auto attacking is super boring.

This also applies later on as you get higher level you run out of stamina in all 3^ fights at even con and then you can't do anything but auto attack, it gets very boring.

Yeah the game visuals were better than other MMOs run by bigger companies. Went up and beyond the indie level.
I do not like darkness in any games. I think it's just bad for my eyes. Darkness should be present like a little tint, and not so that nothing can be seen.
To be honest I actually liked how dark it was. Only certain players would be able to track down or memorize their way around and others might get lost. And if you get lost you can still go around exploring as long as you're cautious enough. Or ask for help for your group or others. Reminds me of the fog of war effect where you can only see a limited amount of area for you. And you have to also use your time wisely during morning if the dark gets to you. In other MMOs I didn't even know if it was day or night because really didn't matter that's when it was just a cosmetic effect.

Not sure what you mean about WoW failing because it's been going crazy strong, just not my cup of tea though. EQ I'm not sure what is going on with it never played it to be honest.
I do like the idea of timing abilities like interrupting an attack sort of way. The Daze attack seems to be like that or using a CC.

Last edited:
Yeah the game visuals were better than other MMOs run by bigger companies. Went up and beyond the indie level.

To be honest I actually liked how dark it was. Only certain players would be able to track down or memorize their way around and others might get lost. And if you get lost you can still go around exploring as long as you're cautious enough. Or ask for help for your group or others. Reminds me of the fog of war effect where you can only see a limited amount of area for you. And you have to also use your time wisely during morning if the dark gets to you. In other MMOs I didn't even know if it was day or night because really didn't matter that's when it was just a cosmetic effect.

Not sure what you mean about WoW failing because it's been going crazy strong, just not my cup of tea though. EQ I'm not sure what is going on with it never played it to be honest.
I do like the idea of timing abilities like interrupting an attack sort of way. The Daze attack seems to be like that or using a CC.
Or log off and don't play again, go afk til light, or log off and wait til it's playable. I mean those are the most likely options people are going to take.

I hope dark will be playable. I just felt it wasn't playable as a clueless newbie, and since most players start off as clueless newbies, it might not be ideal to plonk us into the dark right away when we're still figuring out the interface and don't yet have any friends to guide us. (Seriously, I'm not even sure if there are animations associated with combat!)

But again, I wouldn't want to see night removed. I'd just like to get my footing first.

(I don't mean to harp on the darkness because there's more to the game. But due to my bad timing, night overwhelmed the entirety of my limited play time. I wasn't able to evaluate much else.)

Hi Every one, I think the thing I saw most in game over the weekend of World Breaker was a lot of New Folks , Thought the game was complete and this was all about the game going Live and the were getting a Sneak Peek about the Game .. I do not think a lot read the info about the current state of the game was Missing some game Mechanics, due to a New platform that is coming in but was not in

Sure as A new person to join in the game I see some things wonky but But due to other in game ? Elloah and Alice and others Spoke up in Global to explain .. but there minds were dead set this game was about to go live as they "" had in there Heads

My Take is Please Next time on login Loader put it there.... This game in Not Complete we are Needing to Test I:E this Function so some things look wrong and might Be Not all Mechanic's are currently in game to solve some not all those wonky Items at this time

Had great Time over all and reserve on poking at things I saw that were explained in global that they are being worked on

Looking Forward to the complete assembly of all Mechanic's and the New Skybox and what they will bring.

A fun Teaser Now for Alice and Elloah I was the D.O.A ingroup with you Two the most over the weekend hehe was having a lot of Fun!! The quest for Elloa and Myself became Bag Recovery where are bags where in a very bad spot but the Gang Hung in there and we all came out laughing and some good exile gear to boot!

And Peeps with The Night time Darkness Issues... Ground Torches last 5 mins and can kill 5-6 mobs easy loot ( if there is any) to buy More Ground Torches ... :) they could Lower those prices though!! Sorry did not take skills to see if I could Make my own ... mostly I could have gone that Route .... and A poke to a response to me saying that is ...in advance yeah I will make a toon to looking into That profession LOl

Last thing I have played a lot of Games in Beta alpha what ever state i was granted entry .... Hands down best Beta running system No load logging problems, straight to toon selection (fast) as well as the entry load in to the world smooth as could be .... and i had No lag or jittering that in some game has happened so Great Work there Coders and solvers

see you all in game that are Backers, Wednesday and future weekends

Having played EQ when it first came out I found leveling pretty fast. It took very little time to get to level 4 even with knowing nothing and spending 10 minutes changing various settings.

I played a necro which, without a pet and using only the level 1 dd spell, was essentially a wizard. Id like to see more significant class differneces than that. The necro also seemed a bit high in hp and ac for what should be a pure caster. I was able to tank same level mobs with no points in melee or defnse.

Int buff is way over powered. It raised my mana from around 300 max to 1600 max at level 4. It makes putting points into int rather useless.

Is ther a way to increase the dialog box font? Its completely unreadable on 4k settings. Also is there a way to play the game in a maximised window?

No lag, no interface issues or game bugs. No issue with logging in. No disconects.

Rewards for minor quests also seem a bit much.

Is there a way to create an exe icon on my home screen? I have to open the folder to start the game.

Loved my firt hour or so playing.

Having played EQ when it first came out I found leveling pretty fast. It took very little time to get to level 4 even with knowing nothing and spending 10 minutes changing various settings.

I played a necro which, without a pet and using only the level 1 dd spell, was essentially a wizard. Id like to see more significant class differneces than that. The necro also seemed a bit high in hp and ac for what should be a pure caster. I was able to tank same level mobs with no points in melee or defnse.

Int buff is way over powered. It raised my mana from around 300 max to 1600 max at level 4. It makes putting points into int rather useless.

Is ther a way to increase the dialog box font? Its completely unreadable on 4k settings. Also is there a way to play the game in a maximised window?

No lag, no interface issues or game bugs. No issue with logging in. No disconects.

Rewards for minor quests also seem a bit much.

Is there a way to create an exe icon on my home screen? I have to open the folder to start the game.

Loved my firt hour or so playing.
You can play in borderless window but not window maximized.

You can edit the interface to be large scaled but not just one item.

Right click the exe file in the folder and hover over "send to" then click "desktop (create shortcut)"

Back