What's new
Embers Adrift

Register a free account today to Ignite your Adventure! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate with the Embers Adrift community. Your active account will also be the same account used to purchase, download, and login to the game.

Weaponsmith (Range Weapons Related)

Ravenwolf Silvermoon

Hello. Have some crafted Short Bows to show for folks who wanted to know how to make them or what is needed to make said short bows. Or what bows they may want to get made, or references on short bows in general. The final outcome depends on level of the Weaponsmith, the type of Wood they use, what type of Wrap (leather or cloth) and the type of bow string they use. And how proficient, how many times they made that type/kind of bow too.

Shortbows 02.jpg

Hello. Have a couple of Crossbows. Made a few in game, didn't get the info this weekend that I wanted. Will try to get some next weekend. For now, only have these two for Beta.
Crossbows 02.jpg

what you guys think on the range? I personally think the ranged weapons should have a bigger range. a longbow in dnd can hit like at 300 feet without penalty

Short bows have a more limited max distance than a long bow. The long bow has a minimum distant limit and the short bow does not, meaning that you can use a short box at melee distance. Try pulling with a cross-bow. :cool:

I feel the ranges are a bit short as well. Shooting up to 15 meters is only 50 feet or ~16 yards which is less than 1/5 of a football field. While they can definitely shoot farther, you also have to consider accuracy and the speed/penetration of the arrow or bolt at distance. I feel like the short bow and crossbow can easily hit up to 100 yds, so 50 yds (45m) would be in the realm of possibility of accuracy/power/sustainability. Long bows theoretically can reach up to 400 yards, but 200 yds for medieval times is probably more realistic. Thus, bumping them up to 90m (100yds) seems very plausible to me. Of course this would mean an increase of 3x the distance for short bows and xbows and 6x the distance of longbows. Without seeing how that looks or feels in game, it's hard to tell if that is too far or not.

Short bows should be shortest delay, Longbows next and xbows longest. On the flip side, short bows should do the least damage, longbows next and xbows do the most damage.

Last edited:
You all have to remember three things:
  • A meter in game feels much different than a meter in real life. This comes down to using a third person camera with a fixed FOV on a two dimensional screen.
  • You are all using ranged weaponry that is mostly level 1-20. Very similar to abilities, if we give you all the "big guns" right out of the gate then what would you have to look forward to?
  • We cap the distance in which you can target NPCs for a number of reasons I won't get into here. But if we extended weapon range beyond that...then it would serve no purpose.

is this because you're afraid ranged weapons could kill from range, defeating a bit the group combat mechanics?

is this because you're afraid ranged weapons could kill from range, defeating a bit the group combat mechanics?
No? Ranged weapons can currently kill from range. It's mostly from a desire to allow ranged weapons to get better as you upgrade them. There are also other factors at play like at what distance is group bonuses determined, group xp shared, loot rolls triggered, etc - so it's more than just "how far can this weapon shoot".

I feel like I am almost in melee range with the xbow and you can't get more than one shot off with the long bow before the mob is too close to you.

Are you saying that we will get xbows/bows with longer range at higher levels? That isn't something we usually expect I guess. Typically the stats will increase but the range remains the same.

I feel like I am almost in melee range with the xbow and you can't get more than one shot off with the long bow before the mob is too close to you.

Are you saying that we will get xbows/bows with longer range at higher levels? That isn't something we usually expect I guess. Typically the stats will increase but the range remains the same.
Melee weapons would not change. Ranged weapons may change.

There are also other factors at play like at what distance is group bonuses determined, group xp shared, loot rolls triggered, etc - so it's more than just "how far can this weapon shoot".
Is this something that's easy for you to fiddle with, at least in relation to xp sharing, or is it a coding headache? I brought up a gameplay issue in my feedback related to this and pulling. I suppose it would also attach to loot rolls, but pullers probably care more about getting their exp.

Is this something that's easy for you to fiddle with, at least in relation to xp sharing, or is it a coding headache? I brought up a gameplay issue in my feedback related to this and pulling. I suppose it would also attach to loot rolls, but pullers probably care more about getting their exp.
We have to set limits otherwise folks will be getting xp from across the zone. The question then becomes - what are those limits? And how far is "far enough"? I don't think it will ever be far enough for some.

What is the distance currently? How does it determine it? Does it calculate it based on the group member farthest from the puller or closest to the puller?

We have to set limits otherwise folks will be getting xp from across the zone. The question then becomes - what are those limits? And how far is "far enough"? I don't think it will ever be far enough for some.
I would say at least double the current range, maybe triple but not more, if you want pulling to be a part of gameplay. Any more than that and I can understand it being unreasonable. I was pulling for a group camped on the slope in front of Exile fort and before even going past the gate to go back in I was out of exp range. I'd say from the top of that hill to where the first fork in the road beyond that gate seems like a reasonable distance to get exp and participate in loot rolls while still allowing pullers to be effective and get exp. That's still very much within throwing distance of the camped group. Anything more than that I agree is pushing too far. I'm not sure what the maximum range is intended for the best of the best bows, but maybe it can be tested at double that max distance and see if it's too much? I think that may be a fair method of trying to determine the acceptable distance by scaling it off the max range of the best bows.

What is the distance currently? How does it determine it? Does it calculate it based on the group member farthest from the puller or closest to the puller?
Pretty sure distance is set by distance from where the mob dies irrespective of everything else. If you're in the group and in range, you get exp. Not sure if you actually have to hit the mob if you're not a supporter to get exp; knowing that supporters may never hit a mob to do their job.

Distance is calculated from where the location of the NPC at the time of death. Server has no concept of puller etc. I will extend the range a bit.

Hello. Didn't realize we could make arrows with stat modifiers. Made a few, will try to make every single one later this weekend for folks to compare with what they have or would like to make. Looks like we will need a crafted quiver to hold some of these arrows. Wonder what the limited will be, since there are over 20+ types of arrows.

Rough & Coarse Bone Arrowheads, (x2: Boar, Bear, Deer, Rabbit, Racoon, Wolf).
Copper, Tin, Zink, Bronze, Brass. Merchant bought arrows/bolts. Arrowheads & Bolt heads for basic arrows/bolts. Mob & Chest loot, Arrows/Bolts. Piercing Quills from Quillbacks. Are the merchant arrows/bolts stackable with the drop/loot arrows/bolts? I forget. I was going to add the starting arrows, but think we would have used it up by then.

Type of Arrowheads: (Coarse Boar, Bear, Deer, Rabbit, Racoon, Wolf). (Rough Boar, Bear, Deer, Rabbit, Racoon, Wolf).
Type of Arrowheads: (Copper, Tin, Zink, Bronze, Brass). (Merchant Arrowheads).
Shaft: Wooden Shafts.
Type of Fletching: Linen, Cotton. Arrows Types 02.jpg

Do the stat modifiers on the arrows, stack with any other items or skills/abilities stat modifiers?

Last edited:
Hello. Finally got around to make ALL the types of arrows that is available. For now, have the Tier 2 (Rough Arrowheads). Its just so much stuff. Will try to post one tier at a time. Did not get around to making the metal arrows (yet). Just this alone is 90 different ways to make Rough Arrows. Tier 1 (Coarse) is also 90 different ways. Tier 3 90 different ways. Metal 75 different types. Not including the store bought arrowheads and mob drop arrows. Not counting starting arrows.

These are made at level 32 Weaponsmith. The bolts are similar. will post some info on the bolts later. And I did make the physical arrows, needed the ghost blueprints to get this info. Gave away the crafted arrows I made from this test. Had no room.

Tier 2 Rough Arrow Chart.jpg

Last edited:
Hello. Finally done with the metal arrow chart lol. Here are all the possible metal arrows shown. Brass, Bronze, Zink, Tin and Copper Arrows. The zink, brass,, and maple I have not made many of those, so they didn't come out as good I hoped. But its finally over now. Some of the project I wanted to try out lol. Will not be doing this again anytime soon lol. Dang gaming OCD.

Oh, I gave up on posting the Tier1 and Tier 3 Arrows. Figure this will suffice for some folks who are curious. But come Wednesday this will all be obsolete.
Was able to get Weaponsmith to 33.42, Outfitter 35.02 and Provisoner 22.72 for this test build.
Quiver time!
Metal Arrows Chart.jpg

Last edited:
Back